• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarMacheen

Looking at club ubi, if these are just one time awards, it's not a big deal. Even an unlock for 3 DZ keys, not a huge deal or game changer

erawsd

Um that's a screen cap from Uplay I just grabbed on my PS4. It's not datamined. It's live. You can redeem it.

The phoenix credits you can get via uplay points isnt really the issue. Its just a one time bonus and you earn uplay points for just playing the game, you prob get 40uplay points just for logging in.

The question is where else you'll get phoenix credits from... which is where the datamined tooltip saying they can be bought with real money is concerning.

I think grenades and medkits will be rare when the full game comes out; same thing with ammo unless you die.

Just like vendors sold purple gear the beta gave us a lot of stuff that won't be so easy in the full game.

This is what i got from the division discord (ruffled some jimmies i think)

You can trade those points for wallpapers, starter items, etc.
Yes, purchasing TD gives you 100 uPlay pts.
It's a one time purchase.

You can't buy points with money.

You can only purchase one time

Apparently

Now sense it's the stronghold. It got defensive.

High Level equipment is still muddy. But everyone gets a crack at them once, when you unlock it with upoints and get phoenix credits.

chugen

igUIuxX.gif

That datamined tooltip is from the Closed Beta, mind you, which was a little while ago.

You said Manhattan first and then you edited it
You can't hide from the truth
Why did I notice that, send help

Why did you have to load the page during that 10 second window, haha. But I meant to type Brooklyn from the start. Was originally going to say it doesn't make sense if you fly in from Manhattan to Manhattan and we know they have a lot of Brooklyn finished. Plus they said it wasn't going to be DLC. Then I was like I'll just keep it at a short answer and typed Manhattan instead of Brooklyn like an idiot.

The phoenix credits you can get via uplay points isnt really the issue. Its just a one time bonus and you earn uplay points for just playing the game, you prob get 40uplay points just for logging in.

The question is where else you'll get phoenix credits from... which is where the datamined tooltip saying they can be bought with real money is concerning.

Right and rather that is real or not is the question.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The tooltip says they're spacebucks (real money).

Uplay says you can spend them on high level equipment.

The Devs said only cosmetics.

This is a bit confusing is all I'm saying. And it's annoying we don't know, even after a lot of us already bought the game
and its dlc

Evolved1

Wait has it been confirmed/shown that you can buy gear with Phoenix Credits?
That's what Uplay says.

Is it correct? They usually are pretty spot on with descriptions.

"high level equipment"

We know you can purchase something with them. If it's just cosmetics or also actual gear is up in the air atm, and causing some meltdowns over in Reddit.

They recently updated Uplay with that information right? So it stands to reason that the information itself is also recent. For now I assume it most likely that we'll at least be able to buy high level equipment with these coins.

All the other stuff requires further clarification.

ALL ABOOOOOOARD!

My name is Duraigo, and today I will be your conductor for your hype train.
My qualifications can be found here and here

RULES FOR BOARDING
  • FIRST Please visit THIS IMGUR GALLERY to see the character templates that are available for your use. There are eight templates to choose from.
  • Once you have chosen a character template you like, respond to this post with you stating that you want on, and the name of the character template you want to be shopped on. Names of the templates are located in the imgur gallery
  • The Deadline to get on the train is March 1st.
58VoiMH.jpg

I want on as a paramedic to help those in here who suffer from overhype.

Also about all the Uplay rewards and such. As someone who created an account from within the game during the beta, I'm not seeing where to transfer that info and log into the website.

Evolved1

The Uplay thing is more important, whether that description is accurate. We knew the game would have real money currency... but what you could actually buy is the issue. Devs say only cosmetics, Uplay says equipment.

Uplay could very well be wrong, but that's not very common.

Archpath1

Got my talents ready
Will spec
Firearms> tech> stamina
Focus on my guns with tech to boost dmg and crits

Tactical pulse + booster shot or smart cover + tactical link

This will increase my crit and damage output

Hoping to find dedicated healers

Tovarisc

They recently updated Uplay with that information right? So it stands to reason that the information itself is also recent. For now I assume it most likely that we'll at least be able to buy high level equipment with these coins.

All the other stuff requires further clarification.

Yeah. Rewards, activities etc. went up today.

erawsd

Right and rather that is real or not is the question.

Exactly. Thats the problem with datamining, you never know if something is deprecated or placeholder so everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. Its totally possible that phoenix credits were a real money currency that youd use to buy cosmetics at some point but now they've been re-appropriated as the high end a pve currency similar to dz credits and cosmetics will be bought elsewhere.

Tovarisc

Got my talents ready
Will spec
Firearms> tech> stamina
Focus on my guns with tech to boost dmg and crits

Tactical pulse + booster shot or smart cover + tactical link

This will increase my crit and damage output

Hoping to find dedicated healers

Viability of your build hinges very heavily on devs rebalancing stamina into line with other two. If they don't then you are glasscannon that has snowball's chance in hell of doing jackshit to stamina builds.

The Uplay thing is more important, whether that description is accurate. We knew the game would have real money currency... but what you could actually buy is the issue. Devs say only cosmetics, Uplay says equipment.

Uplay could very well be wrong, but that's not very common.
Yup, you're right on it. The differentiating language from Uplay and the development team is strikingly different and cause for concern.

All we can hope is for someone from the team to clear the air.

It kind of puzzled me when everyone in here said there would be micro-transactions in the game, while I could've sworn I had recently read an article that said there would be no micro-transactions whatsoever.

So I dug up some articles discussing the matter.

http://www.gamesradar.com/division-wont-have-regular-microtransactions-save-vanity-dlc/
http://gamingbolt.com/tom-clancys-the-division-wont-have-microtransactions

It’s one of the things that we looked at because if people like the game and want to purchase extra things I don’t mind that. But microtransactions, as it’s defined, we do not have them. You cannot spend a little bit of money and fast-track to get better gear or pay to win or vanity items. We do not have that. The short answer is no, we don’t have microtransactions, period.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-divisio...ansactions-but-ubisoft-prefers-to-call-it-dlc

Ubisoft have since clarified this statement by revealing that vanity items will be sold through "first-party stores", but the company is being very careful to avoid the term 'microtransaction', instead opting for the less harsh 'DLC'.

Clearly Ubisoft are worried about some sort of backlash from using the M-word, but that's what they seem to be planning on selling. It's good news in disguise, though, as this is also confirmation that only aesthetic items will be sold as microtransactions DLC.

So basically what I'm gathering form this is that at a certain point the Phoenix Credits were intended as a premium/vanity currency. But as they have it planned now you will need to buy these vanity items with cash directly from a digital store.

This basically would confirm that the Phoenix Credits would be endgame currency, fitting the Uplay description.

It seems unthinkable to me that with these recent statements in the media that Ubi/Massive would have actually included a P2W currency in the game.

Gryph

I must have missed it, did you have to go into the menus?

Yep. It was easy to miss. In the Intel menu, the default page (found footage) was not available in beta, but if you switched tabs in the Intel menu you could listen to all the phone logs and read the survival guide excerpts and such.

Se_7_eN

Yep. It was easy to miss. In the Intel menu, the default page (found footage) was not available in beta, but if you switched tabs in the Intel menu you could listen to all the phone logs and read the survival guide excerpts and such.

Yep..there was an intel tab in the menu where it stored all the collectable stuff you picked up including those phone recordings. Clicking on each one played a brief audio clip

Awesome, thanks! I thought they felt really lame with just the text... For some reason, I love finding audio logs.

Exactly. Thats the problem with datamining, you never know if something is deprecated or placeholder so everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. Its totally possible that phoenix credits were a real money currency that youd use to buy cosmetics at some point but now they've been re-appropriated as the high end a pve currency similar to dz credits and cosmetics will be bought elsewhere.

Exactly, data mining is prone to false positives and context. Though what's a fact is that, at some point you could buy PC with real money and now you can only get PC with upoints (It seems) but now its for "High Level Equipment". Since there's no mention of cosmetics in that write up.

So i think I'll chalk it down as a error and see where things stand on release.

So basically what I'm gathering form this is that at a certain point the Phoenix Credits were intended as a premium/vanity currency. But as they have it planned now you will need to buy these vanity items with cash directly from a digital store.

This basically would confirm that the Phoenix Credits would be endgame currency, fitting the Uplay description.

It seems unthinkable to me that with these recent statements in the media that Ubi/Massive would have actually included a P2W currency in the game.

But you also have to be aware of that fact that, the CB and OB are different builds from the mainline. So whatever people find in there may not be completely right by release, or is only half of another half.

WarMacheen

It kind of puzzled me when everyone in here said there would be micro-transactions in the game, while I could've sworn I had recently read an article that said there would be no micro-transactions whatsoever.

So I dug up some articles discussing the matter.

http://www.gamesradar.com/division-wont-have-regular-microtransactions-save-vanity-dlc/
http://gamingbolt.com/tom-clancys-the-division-wont-have-microtransactions
http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-divisio...ansactions-but-ubisoft-prefers-to-call-it-dlc

Hmm, so no microtransactions, but there are small DLC purchases...so microtransactions

Exactly, data mining is prone to false positives and context. Though what's a fact is that, at some point you could buy PC with real money and now you can only get PC with upoints (It seems) but now its for "High Level Equipment". Since there's no mention of cosmetics in that write up.

So i think I'll chalk it down as a error and see where things stand on release.

Aren't all those Upoint rewards single use only?

Hmm, so no microtransactions, but there are small DLC purchases...so microtransactions

Yes, but no P2W currency. That's the only thing people were worried about. Nobody really cares if you can buy a moonwalking emote.

There was a reddit post about that with a link to a stream where the information was apparently said

Isn't that just a compilation of what developers confirmed when streaming the game? So yes, it is true.

Yes, the actual source of that article is from reddit.
Interesting if true, particularly for the credits to dz funds conversion and the BIS gear from crafting confirmation.
Oh, and apparently dark zone is not the only endgame activity. Excellent.

Yes, the actual source of that article is from reddit.
Interesting if true, particularly for the credits to dz funds conversion and the BIS gear from crafting confirmation.
Oh, and apparently dark zone is not the only endgame activity. Excellent.

Can you say Raids or its equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom