• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how P2W is in the game.

First the development team has said that the only micro transactions involved are for skins and cosmetic items.

Second the development team has done everything right to try and build up the good grace of the community. They made large positive changes from the closed beta to the open beta. Have been very engaged with streaming and have been largely transparent on the items they can speak about.

I don't see how they go from saying cosmetic items are the only items you'll have to pay for to now having a model in place where you purchase high end weaponry for cash. Doesn't fit.

From UBI's club thingy.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%208.36.49%20PM_zps1mbfdubx.png

?? Sounds like gear, with levels. Not cosmetic items.

I know that.

Still doesn't fit what the development team has been saying (microtransactions only for cosmetics, etc).

Sure. It doesn't fit. But it is pretty clear language per that image. So they need to clarify this, I think.

I felt it was a stretch to be able to buy top gear from the vendor using farmed currency in the beta to begin with. Might as well be a phone game where you are farming currency for stuff.

But my understanding is that the gear in the beta was only there as a test method and that high level gear needs to be dropped in the full release, which is good.

P2W is the wrong decision and surely the devs are aware of how this would negate the entirety of the dark zone and relegate it to a base level COD style pvp arena.

I was impressed with the beta. I hope they wouldn't flub it with something as dumb as this.

Context is everything. The comment I quoted mentioned you could only get Phoenix Credits with Upoints. I consider that unlikely for multiple reasons. It's far more likely that endgame activities will be the main source of Phoenix cred income.
Ah gotcha, I would agree with you there.
Uplay thing is a one time use. And not everyone will have credit to buy it.

Also you can earn Phoenix credits in game.
Right, but the screenshot posted earlier in this thread says PC can be earned with cash.

JohnCYQ

Quick question, are the season pass/gold edition bonuses (Sawed off shotgun pistol/events etc) pre-order only, or can I still get them buying the gold edition post-launch?

Uplay thing is a one time use. And not everyone will have credit to buy it.

Also you can earn Phoenix credits in game.

So only certain people can pay to win? Even better! Filthy 99%ers don't deserve the benefit of these things after all.

I think it is a bad idea in ANY circumstance. I don't even think that shit should be in the game as obtainable currency. We already have PVE and PVP zone credits. Why do we need to fragment with another?

Oh right...because real money needs to be made from the devs despite myself (and many others) springing for the Gold edition.

Prove me wrong, UBI/Massive. I can't say I trust any dev as far as I can throw their office building when this stuff starts to crop up.

But you also have to be aware of that fact that, the CB and OB are different builds from the mainline. So whatever people find in there may not be completely right by release, or is only half of another half.

Sure, what I wrote in that post is mostly concerning their statements regarding micro-transactions and vanity DLC. I just used that datamined info to infer what might be their original intention, it's not really relevant if that's correct. For me the most important thing is that the evidence seems to support that Phoenix Credits aren't P2W at all.

Is there are decent list of all the weapon types in the game and maybe a look at some of the weapon skins?

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/47c76p/list_of_guns_found_in_game_files/

https://imgur.com/a/oxIY2

Both aren't complete lists, but they'll give you a nice idea of what to expect.

I think in this day and age, you can't believe everything development teams say. Hopefully Ubisoft/Massive clears this up.
I just find it strange that they would kill their own game out of the gate after swimming in the opposite way for the last couple of months.

Logic should tell us this is nothing to be concerned about. But of course you're right, until we get some clear confirmation we shouldn't put any money down. I hope we get some clarity soon. This is cancer right now.

G_Berry

Banned
I was thinking about this a bit more and I'll laugh if it's true and they've snuck a pay to win model.

I pre-ordered this on PSN here is Australia and it was $100.

If I'm paying this much and I'm forced to play against people who have simply bought all the op guns and gear I'll simply not buy / play this game.

I would encourage others to do the same and I'll spread the word to my friend groups who would've otherwise bought this.

Probably means nothing to them as the pay to win model will most likely make them some serious bank, but at least I won't feel dirty supporting that shit.

I was thinking about this a bit more and I'll laugh if it's true and they've snuck a pay to win model.

I pre-ordered this on PSN here is Australia and it was $100.

If I'm paying this much and I'm forced to play against people who have simply bought all the op guns and gear I'll simply not buy / play this game.

I would encourage others to do the same and I'll spread the word to my friend groups who would've otherwise bought this.

Probably means nothing to them as the pay to win model will most likely make them some serious bank, but at least I won't feel dirty supporting that shit.

Wait to find if its true and then do what needs to be done. Because this would DOA this game.

And the other picture say high level equipment...so which is it. This is why we need clarification.

I take a prove me wrong stance with devs in this day and age.

Right that really does need to be addressed. Is PC for equipment or both or only for cosmetic and looks? or did someone muff up the description.
Don't need another Destiny sliver lynch mob.

So only certain people can pay to win? Even better! Filthy 99%ers don't deserve the benefit of these things after all.

I think it is a bad idea in ANY circumstance. I don't even think that shit should be in the game as obtainable currency. We already have PVE and PVP zone credits. Why do we need to fragment with another?

Oh right...because real money needs to be made from the devs despite myself (and many others) springing for the Gold edition.

Prove me wrong, UBI/Massive. I can't say I trust any dev as far as I can throw their office building when this stuff starts to crop up.

I'm assuming that the person you were responding to used credit to refer to Uplay points. Now you can only get 30 Phoenix Credits from Uplay once.

As you can tell from this picture, a single weapon can cost 148 credits. So you can see that 30 Phoenix Credits aren't a lot at all. Plus the amount of Uplay points needed to unlocked these 30 Phoenix Credits is only 40. You can unlock 40 Uplay points by simply playing The Division itself. So every single person that owns The Division is able to unlock these points. That's not Pay 2 Win, that's simply Play 2 'Win'.

And the other picture say high level equipment...so which is it. This is why we need clarification.

I take a prove me wrong stance with devs in this day and age.

Why don't you read my post where I analyzed some of the statements made by Ubi/Massive?

I think it's wiser to base your judgements on official communications, instead of on information that was hidden in some way.

5K9j1Ma.jpg

As you can tell from this picture, a single weapon can cost 148 credits. So you can see that 30 Phoenix Credits aren't a lot at all. Plus the amount of Uplay points needed to unlocked these 30 Phoenix Credits is only 40. You can unlock 40 Uplay points by simply playing The Division itself. So every single person that owns The Division is able to unlock these points. That's not Pay 2 Win, that's simply Play 2 'Win'.

To some people its the same difference. *edit

Plus the irony of that picture is gold.

I'm assuming that the person you were responding to used credit to refer to Uplay points. Now you can only get 30 Phoenix Credits from Uplay once.

seems to be the case.

But you can buy phoenix credits with real money according to the reddit picture, and phoenix credits may be useable to buy high level gear according to the one I posted.

Being able to buy in game credits with real money that can be used to purchase powerful gear is pay to win (if this is indeed the case here). There is no way around it. Am I off base with my definition of pay to win here if this is what is going on? I don't think so, but correct me if I'm wrong.

But, like, why though? What game in the past has burned you so bad you don't trust a Dev that said pretty flatly they weren't doing Pay-to-win?

horse armour. Those scars run deep lol.

I'm only having this discussion because there is evidence here that there MIGHT be some sort of pay to win situation.

I would like to get clarification as there is obviously some murkiness about it.

I'm not saying it is one way or the other as there is evidence supporting both and contrary to both scenarios (ie confusion).

I want to know before I spend 130 canuck bucks on something I don't want to support.

But you can buy phoenix credits with real money according to the reddit picture, and phoenix credits may be useable to buy high level gear according to the one I posted.

Being able to buy in game credits with real money that can be used to purchase powerful gear is pay to win (if this is indeed the case here). There is no way around it. Am I off base with my definition of pay to win here if this is what is going on? I don't think so, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I updated that post you quoted.

We don't know the validity of the reddit picture. That's why I advise to simply limit ourselves to official communications. It seems to me the information from that reddit picture is outdated at best. Massive has made it clear that there will be no pay 2 win micro-transactions. Ubisoft has added that the only purchasable vanity gear will come from the stores, and that doesn't suggest it will be tied to an ingame currency. I have summarized the data in a previous post. But basically those 2 statements together should tell you everything you need to know about Phoenix Credits to remove your concerns.

To most people its the same difference.

Plus the irony of that picture is gold.

Is it? For me they are vastly different things. The available data suggests that 30 Phoenix Credits aren't a lot at all.

Gryph

horse armour. Those scars run deep lol.

I'm only having this discussion because there is evidence here that there MIGHT be some sort of pay to win situation.

I would like to get clarification as there is obviously some murkiness about it.

I'm not saying it is one way or the other as there is evidence supporting both and contrary to both scenarios (ie confusion).

I want to know before I spend 130 canuck bucks on something I don't want to support.

Increasing the health of your horse in Oblivion, 10 years ago, broke the game so much that you consider it Pay-to-win?

Look, we'd all love to get the Dev's to weigh in on this and I'm sure they will but people are being really quick to pick up their torches. Massive have been nothing but cool and communicative about The Division. Additionally they said there wouldn't be pay-to-win literally less than two months ago, why are we all ready to burn their houes to the ground?

Increasing the health of your horse in Oblivion, 10 years ago, broke the game so much that you consider it Pay-to-win?

Look, we'd all love to get the Dev's to weigh in on this and I'm sure they will but people are be really quick to pick up their torches. Massive have been nothing but cool and communicative about The Division.

No, of course not.

I am simply asking questions about recent information for clarity. I am not picking up a torch by any means. But questions have been raised, and I would like them definitively answered.

That's all. It's not like I've run and cancelled my preorder or anything yet.

I updated that post you quoted.

We don't know the validity of the reddit picture. That's why I advise to simply limit ourselves to official communications. It seems to me the information from that reddit picture is outdated at best. Massive has made it clear that there will be no pay 2 win micro-transactions. Ubisoft has added that the only purchasable vanity gear will come from the stores, and that doesn't suggest it will be tied to an ingame currency. I have summarized the data in a previous post. But basically those 2 statements together should tell you everything you need to know about Phoenix Credits to remove your concerns.

Either way i think we all both agree that the 'High Level Equipment" needs to be cleared up because it sounds like weapon boosting and they put trading and the black market on the shelf, since people would naturally "abuse" equipment boosting. Thus a real black market would appear outside the game.

Look, we'd all love to get the Dev's to weigh in on this and I'm sure they will but people are being really quick to pick up their torches. Massive have been nothing but cool and communicative about The Division. Additionally they said there wouldn't be pay to win literally less than two months ago, why are we all ready to burn their houes to the ground?

We're about to learn how cool and communicative they are in the next 24-48 hours.

As an aside, there are some salty buggers on the ubi forum over the Dark Zone lol.

I think it is fine as is (although the rogue system needs refinement so people can't be "baited" by turrets and stuff into going rogue).

It's like PVE/PVP worlds colliding over there. People melting down over it. It's good stuff.

Either way i think we all both agree that the 'High Level Equipment" needs to be cleared up because it sounds like weapon boosting and they put trading and the black market on the shelf, since people would naturally "abuse" equipment boosting. Thus a real black market would appear outside the game.

I just think it's a currency for endgame gear. I don't think they'll be easy to earn and I really don't see how it sounds like boosting. But at the end of the day we know very little about Phoenix Credits and it all amounts to speculation. We'll have to wait for the devs to further clarify the issue. I'm just convinced that all available evidence clearly supports that Phoenix Credits won't be P2W in any way.

Gryph

We're about to learn how cool and communicative they are in the next 24-48 hours.

Are we? No one seems to have started a thread in their forums. Doesn't look like anyone has asked on Twitter.

It seems to me like we're going to see a bunch of people on Reddit and GAF saying that game developers should never be trusted and everyone's out to screw us. Then we'll all find out when the game comes out.

Looks to me like everyone just wants to get mad...

I just think it's a currency for endgame gear. I don't think they'll be easy to earn and I really don't see how it sounds like boosting. But at the end of the day we know very little about Phoenix Credits and it all amounts to speculation. We'll have to wait for the devs to further clarify the issue. I'm just convinced that all available evidence clearly supports that Phoenix Credits won't be P2W in any way.

Right and i agree
Phoenix Credit being useful for end game makes the most sense to me as well.

Tovarisc

Lets hope they can just go ahead and post stuff about this, without need to go through red tape that is Ubi's PR department because marketing plans.

Edit:
Are we? No one seems to have started a thread in their forums. Doesn't look like anyone has asked on Twitter.

It seems to me like we're going to see a bunch of people on Reddit and GAF saying that game developers should never be trusted and everyone's out to screw us. Then we'll all find out when the game comes out.

I tried to ping few devs over Twitter, but it was already quite late in EU.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Time to vacate the thread till this Phoenix Credits shitstorm dies down.

Let's be honest, most of those devs are on reddit and here looking at stuff. Honestly, some probably follow reddit more than their official forums.

To be fair, UBI has a history of not being super forth-coming in pre release media. I treat them like politicians. Until they do what they say they will, I take nothing for granted.

I don't think anyone wants to "just get mad". There is nothing to be mad about. If the game ends up doing something I don't like, I won't buy. Nothing to be angry about.

Kind of a strange accusation to make.

Gryph

I tried to ping few devs over Twitter, but it was already quite late in EU.

Well that's good to know.

I'm sorry for getting my dander up in here. I just don't understand some of the reactions. If my local supermarket had two contradictory signs, I wouldn't assume that the worst of all options was true...

Tovarisc

Well that's good to know.

Yeah. Stuff went up on uClub way after workday was over in EU. Massive is based in Malmö, Sweden afterall. If we get response from devs it's on Friday earliest, no matter how much they get pinged on Twitter tonight.

Unrelated to issue at hand, but I wonder how Ubi is going to handle reviews. Will there be pre-release review copies, especially when game is already leaked and available in certain region(s)? Sure they could just wipe everything on eve of release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom