• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um... yeah... kind of. Now, I'm not a soldier or anything but I imagine that a human being aiming a heavy gun is not as quick or clinical as moving a cursor with a mouse. I feel that, to me anyway, analogue control might better represent the feel of actually aiming a gun.

As someone who shoots actual guns in real life, naw. Traditional game controls (whether it be gamepad or mouse) as a metaphor for aiming a gun is so far removed, I think it's not meaningful to describe either as closer to the real thing.

The human eye can't perceive anything over 30 DPI

(that's a horrible joke and I'll be seeing myself out now)

Go to the shame corner.

Tovarisc

Um... yeah... kind of. Now, I'm not a soldier or anything but I imagine that a human being aiming a heavy gun is not as quick or clinical as moving a cursor with a mouse. I feel that, to me anyway, analogue control might better represent the feel of actually aiming a gun.

Shouldering and aiming real assault rifle, especially "bulkier" and older one like RK62 [Finnish AR based on AK47], isn't no where near snap and twitch of video games. ArmA games have it closest to authenticity when it comes to things of weapons and stuff.

Mouse is too fast and snappy where analogue sticks are too slow and inaccurate to replicate how handling such weapon feels in real life. "But soldiers aim and fire so fast!" argument can be made and is very reasonable, but thing is that big part of it is angling your body along with your rifle while anticipating certain situation to happen, e.g. hostile being around some corner you are about to go around.

MrBlonde

latest
/s? Or are you just living up to your username?
Edit; Haha!

Tecnniqe

Banned
Shouldering and aiming real assault rifle, especially "bulkier" and older one like RK62 [Finnish AR based on AK47], isn't no where near snap and twitch of video games. ArmA games have it closest to authenticity when it comes to things of weapons and stuff.

Mouse is too fast and snappy where analogue sticks are too slow and inaccurate to replicate how handling such weapon feels in real life. "But soldiers aim and fire so fast!" argument can be made and is very reasonable, but thing is that big part of it is angling your body along with your rifle while anticipating certain situation to happen, e.g. hostile being around some corner you are about to go around.

AK47 is pretty easy to handle actually. Never tried the RK62.

However new ARs got very little recoil at all, as far as my experience goes.

Vector [smg] on the other hand is godlike.

Shotguns kick like a MFer and is hella-fun to use.

When do the servers turn on tomorrow? 7am EST like last time?

Its in OP FAQ, same as last time.
before anyone comes in and rakes me over the coals or anything...I was kidding with that comment

I know it's actually 31 DPI

Genio88

Donloading it now on Xbox One, I wouldn't even wanted to bother trying this game cause I don't think it's the kind of game i'd enjoy, though it's free and everything so I guess i'll give it a shot anyway

Tovarisc

AK47 is pretty easy to handle actually. Never tried the RK62.

I didn't say it's hard to handle. I just don't think either mouse or controller reflect how weapon handling in real life is and feels, especially if game doesn't really try to go for that feel. ArmA games try go for it and nail it down quite well.

Moving with, aiming and firing RK62 is easy and fast after some practice, and you have sense to its weight and recoil. Still knowing how it behaves and feels in your hands and then playing with videogame with guns... yeah.. no where near same, obviously. You most likely will never get to fire RK62, we don't manufacture it anymore and is basically exclusive to our military. It's AK47, but somewhat improved design made from higher quality materials and components basically. Heavier also than AK, if I remember right.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Everyone in NY is named Alex.

New Alex
I didn't say it's hard to handle. I just don't think either mouse or controller reflect how weapon handling in real life is and feels, especially if game doesn't really try to go for that feel. ArmA games try go for it and nail it down quite well.

Moving with, aiming and firing RK62 is easy and fast after some practice, and you have sense to its weight and recoil. Still knowing how it behaves and feels in your hands and then playing with videogame with guns... yeah.. no where near same, obviously. You most likely will never get to fire RK62, we don't manufacture it anymore and is basically exclusive to our military. It's AK47, but somewhat improved design made from higher quality materials and components basically. Heavier also than AK, if I remember right.

Oh yeah, game vs real they dont compare, im just saying ARs can be pretty snappy. I actually find ArmA bad when it comes to gun feel. Really i cant figure that game out.

IvorB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuMDlW7VxU

Watch the start. You can move really quick with a gun and still be accurate. FYI a glock recoils more than a AR imo.

As someone who shoots actual guns in real life, naw. Traditional game controls (whether it be gamepad or mouse) as a metaphor for aiming a gun is so far removed, I think it's not meaningful to describe either as closer to the real thing.

Hmmm... fair enough. Maybe next time I'm in the US I'll try to get down to the range and try it out for myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuMDlW7VxU

Watch the start. You can move really quick with a gun and still be accurate. FYI a glock recoils more than a AR imo.

I have almost two dozen years handling firearms... it's almost impossible to compare a pistol's recoil to a rifle's. Two very different types. You could however compare a Glock 21 to a FN 5.7's recoil (21=high/ 5.7=very low)... or a .416 Rem to a .25-06 Rem (.416=solid kick/.25-06=tap)... all in all there are too many variables to compare. I guess I can "sorta" see how someone would say that ITO a glock recoils more than a AR.

Was going to play on XB1 but then realized I didn't want to do all the missions again on PC tomorrow. I'll just wait. I have SFV to kill time with.

Tovarisc

Was hoping for a high-end marksman rifle but oh well, there's always the full release!

I guess they didn't want us doing PvP with OHK rifles. Purple quality Mosin already took out like 80-90% of most players HP in single headshot, then just pop few follow up shots with AR for easy kill.

Tovarisc

It would be kinda cool if Division had reference / easter egg for 12 Monkeys. Themes are so similar that it would fit right in.

ryanofcall

It would be kinda cool if Division had reference / easter egg for 12 Monkeys. Themes are so similar that it would fit right in.

That would be awesome! I'd love to see more movie easter eggs in The Division. I can see them throwing in AC and FarCry references aswell. (Same branch that worked on Far Cry 3, right?)

Please just make the Zombieland fake zombie reference happen. Just for the lolz.

Anyone know if i dl the beta will i have to dowload it again if i buy digital or will it just make the beta the full game?

Really cant afford the data if I need to download 27gb then download them again when the full game releases on PS store.

Helznicht

So are the options there for more framerate and or is there less input lag?

No FR improvement options, and although I didn't play the Beta on console last time, there is no way I can see the input delay being any worse than in this one, so I will say no, there is not less input lag.

Tovarisc

Anyone know if i dl the beta will i have to dowload it again if i buy digital or will it just make the beta the full game?

Really cant afford the data if I need to download 27gb then download them again when the full game releases on PS store.

It's highly unlikely that they push patch that would turn Open Beta client into Full Release client.

MAX PAYMENT

How many players are in a dark zone instance at a time and how big is the map?

Also, how large of a group can you have in and out of DZ.

No FR improvement options, and although I didn't play the Beta on console last time, there is no way I can see the input delay being any worse than in this one, so I will say no, there is not less input lag.

the only thing i can think of they want all the footage from beta to be as good as possible and didnt put in the options. gonna wait to buy it then until someone can confirm the options are there and it lessens the input lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom