• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

LOL I'm hearing the turret will fire upon neutral agents causing you to go rogue RIP

That's gotta be rectified in the full game

Yep, that need to fix that one. Its put me Rogue more than once so far. Love it in PvE but the PvP stuff its messy if their are non-Rogue floating around.

deoee

K7RLWhJ.gif

3XLtrvK.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/46g39x/remember_the_people_who_try_to_kill_you_incase/

I would have thrown pebbles at him.

Tovarisc

Correct, but posting a fucking 77 MB gif is a bit much.

That is what I dislike about most gifs posted on GAF. I get it that most around here want post quality stuff [pics, video and gifs], but when they embedded 1-3 70+ MB gifs into their post it gets tad out of hand. Even for PC users, especially on slower connections.

daffy

Banned
Played through with a friend this morning and I felt it was pretty meh. It has similar traits of Destiny but all the guns feel the same. The loot is not attractive at all IMO but that may just be due to the low levels of the beta. Bullet sponge is manageable but the enemy types all have the same attack patterns throughout. Skipped through the story but the little bits I caught were very blase. Skill tree is nice and customization is nice.

It go down in the DZ though. Easily the best thing about this game and very promising that it increases in scale for the full game. It would need to be JRPG levels on dungeon crawling for it to justify me buying this game however, and from what I can tell it may end up just being a underground level replica of the surface map in size.

I look forward to Ghost Recon but for me this is a pass.

E: I will say I have to eat crow for fully expecting this to be delayed. It seems to be a pretty decently done product (I hesitate to say any game is "finished" this day in age) coming out at its scheduled time. Well done Ubisoft.

I thought thia was going to be some CoD knock off, but WOW! This game is an RPG! I'm loving this beta, and looking forward when the game actually comes out!

Im actually really impressed how good this looks and runs on XB1. This is sweet!

Cleve

LOL I'm hearing the turret will fire upon neutral agents causing you to go rogue RIP

That's gotta be rectified in the full game

Throw a det pack or whatever it's called, or a grenade and neutral agents can be caught in the explosion. Just gotta be careful where you throw that turret down.

Tawpgun

Heading home now. Send Tawpgun an fr and message if y'all wanna play

Edit: that's not the same thing. You can be fighting AI in the dz and a non hostile agent can come by and get shot up. It's too out of your control.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Played through with a friend this morning and I felt it was pretty meh. It has similar traits of Destiny but all the guns feel the same. The loot is not attractive at all IMO but that may just be due to the low levels of the beta. Bullet sponge is manageable but the enemy types all have the same attack patterns throughout. Skipped through the story but the little bits I caught were very blase. Skill tree is nice and customization is nice.

It go down in the DZ though. Easily the best thing about this game and very promising that it increases in scale for the full game. It would need to be JRPG levels on dungeon crawling for it to justify me buying this game however, and from what I can tell it may end up just being a underground level replica of the surface map in size.

E: I will say I have to eat crow for fully expecting this to be delayed. It seems to be a pretty decently done product (I hesitate to say any game is "finished" this day in age) coming out at its scheduled time. Well done Ubisoft.
DZ is super fun, grab a few people who wont back stab you and you'll have a superb time!
True friends stab you in the front

Also it did get delayed and given this release.

Tovarisc

Throw a det pack or whatever it's called, or a grenade and neutral agents can be caught in the explosion. Just gotta be careful where you throw that turret down.

Throwing grenade and hitting another player with it is on you. Throwing down turret controlled by game AI and it attacking neutral players is on devs.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Game got delayed twice, technically speaking it's releasing two years later than originally expected. Mainly due to how much work they put into getting the engine right. Which is hopefully intuitive enough to be adopted by the other studios, an anonymous dev said the following in May 2014

"The Division is without a doubt one of the most ambitious game projects of all time and our publisher has naturally realised this. We've been given increased resources, we're hiring lots at the moment and are given a lot of help from other Ubisoft teams which is going to be needed if we are to deliver a finished game by next fall. Sadly I still think that the date is a tad bit optimistic as we still don't have a functioning game and still have massive problems making our multiplayer component work at the concept stage. At the same time both we and our publisher are incredibly happy with our game engine and Ubisoft will naturally make use of it in lots of upcoming titles."

deoee

Mhh I personally LOVE the amount of loot + modifications.
Can't wait to build my perfect "OP WEAPON XYZ" and get some fancy scopes etc. on it :3

Tovarisc

Well the PvE isn't even worth talking about in the beta. There's practically nothing there of interest at the moment. Obviously talking about the Dark Zone which is the entire game in these betas.

Why it's awful? Just curious to get deeper view into your thoughts about game, and why you feel it's awful/bad.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well the PvE isn't even worth talking about in the beta. There's practically nothing there of interest at the moment. Obviously talking about the Dark Zone which is the entire game in these betas.

During the closed beta i actually played DZ solo for hours. You got fucked over super easily by a group, but it was tense af

I really enjoyed it. Especially for rogue hunting. [PC]

spock

Hey guys, so this is one the few games to catch my attention in a VERY long time...I really like the idea of blending rpg/fps elements. I honestly havent gamed in years, but have a bit of an itch to get back into it.

So I'm considering picking up a console (trying to justify it with this game among others) but kind of stuck on a few points. Regarding the Division, is there an actual MMO world where all player interact/fight? Or are we talking shared maps with 25 players, etc.?

Now the other question, which I was wondering if I should start a new thread on is which console to pick up. I dont own any next gen consoles. Havnet really wanted one till recently. I'm kind of leaning toward a xbox one (really want a wiiu but going to wait to see the nx) simply because I'm all in on Microsofts eco system (surface pro 3, ms band 2, windows phone, etc.) and wondering if theres a benefit to staying within that console wise. I know the ps4 has better specs/graphics but thats honestly not a huge deal for me.

One big consideration is I have 2 young girls ages 7 and 8. Obviously nintendo is a better choice for them but we do have a wii with tons of games which is good enough for them. They do love and play minecraft which I know the X1 has, but I'm not sure theres much else for them on the console, perhaps just dance?

Also what are thoughts on kinect? Is it done? Think they have any plans for it going forward?

Theres a refurb bundle on ebay right now that seems like a decent deal and includes kinect. Though I'm wondering if I should hold out and see what MS says at the event they have going on in the next few days?

(thoughts on bundle?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26218518057...2185180571&_rdc=1&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true

I also see we have a buy/sell/trade forum here, any thought on buying an X1 through there?

Lastly, the one thing that has me REALLY wanting to reconsider and go the ps4 route is the potential PSVR...I'm hoping MS announces some kind of VR support which would seal the deal for me since I really dont plan to upgrade my PC for VR. Though I know odds are things are still early and it will take some time for VR to find its stride, but it is indeed exciting.

DrBo42

Why it's awful? Just curious to get deeper view into your thoughts about game, and why you feel it's awful/bad.

During the closed beta i actually played DZ solo for hours. You got fucked over super easily by a group, but it was tense af

I really enjoyed it. Especially for rogue hunting. [PC]

You're defenseless against groups. The NPC spawns are tuned for groups in nearly every area I've encountered them in. If you do manage to get gear, it's really a coin flip as to whether or not a group is going to stomp you etc. Only thing you can really do is play scavenger and go after rogues but again if they're a group you're pretty much toast. Basically the entire Dark Zone experience is balanced around groups. Endless sprint/roll spam is also awful. Sure, it's tense but unlike other games of this type of PvP setup you can't really out-skill a group.

deoee

Yeah it's totally toned down in the beta.

I expect at least some "strike"-like areas and there was this raid thing... *u*

You're defenseless against groups. The NPC spawns are tuned for groups in nearly every area I've encountered them in. If you do manage to get gear, it's really a coin flip as to whether or not a group is going to stomp you etc. Only thing you can really do is play scavenger and go after rogues but again if they're a group you're pretty much toast. Basically the entire Dark Zone experience is balanced around groups. Endless sprint/roll spam is also awful. Sure, it's tense but unlike other games of this type of PvP setup you can't really out-skill a group.

In my experience, if you keep close to other single guys / smaller groups people tend to help you when you're engaged by rogues.
And ofc. groups will most of the time kill solo players - it will never change :D

It's also a unique kind of tension when you, fully loaded with loot, meet a group and have to decide what to do.

Tecnniqe

Banned

I've taken a group of 3 or 4 alone on PC during CB with blue-purple gear.

Really tactical positioning and some good aim/use of abilities and misc items is a godsend.

Of course if you stand in the open you are fucked, but even then you could manage to take 1 down with you easy.

While it is balanced (I slightly disagree as the AI becomes trivial after you get some DZ loot) around group play, going solo is perfectly fine as long as you play it smart and/or stay close to other small groups/solo players

Tovarisc

I wouldn't say DZ is balanced around groups, but obviously it will be easier experience in group. I would encourage you to give it little bit more time and see if it clicks, it is adjustment to do solo DZ for sure and it can feel very punishing at first. Saying this as person who experienced both sides of that coin in closed beta, being solo was adjustment. In very few games you can outplay groups when solo in PvP situation, even if your skill average was higher than theirs.

Edit:
Got a red weapon skin from the first civilian I helped. Score!

Maybe not best thing to post by me

Smash88

Banned
Hard to describe just how awful of an experience this game is solo. Truly, truly awful.

It's not so much bad as it feels lonely knowing that you could have another 3 people with you. I felt the same way when I tried to solo Borderlands 1/2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom