• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

EDIT: ^ Hah Jani you are a bit clingy lmao 4 tweets so fast^

I just said what I wanted to say so I get my point across <.< I kinda hate it how Twitter is best way to contact CM's of games/companies, but to make your point you have to use more than one message.

Fine, I won't post my findings here anymore:(

Tecnniqe

Banned
Steam usually unlocks stuff around 6-7PM CET if not otherwise set by publisher and/or developer. I imagine this game is going to get midnight launch in EU.

Lmao, gonna be a worse uproar if they dont release it on schedule like with the beta, steam was on fire!

Kane1345

I just said what I wanted to say so I get my point across <.< I kinda hate it how Twitter is best way to contact CM's of games/companies, but to make your point you have to use more than one message.

I appreciate you asking mate

Klyka

Banned

good man, keep it up

Steam usually unlocks stuff around 6-7PM CET if not otherwise set by publisher and/or developer. I imagine this game is going to get midnight launch in EU.

-----
IrwH2kd.jpg

https://twitter.com/natchai_/status/703220985181372417

Nice, hopefully they'll respond soon.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Yep, I asked Hamish last night as well but didn't get a response. Still Twitter has made communicating with companies far easier than it was before.

komplanen

Don't take it too seriously. It's a good thing you contacted them. I was more commenting on how you sent four tweets instead of just the one needed.

EDIT: See? You got the answer! :-3

Jee hyvin tehty!

Crackbone

-----
IrwH2kd.jpg

https://twitter.com/natchai_/status/703220985181372417

My money is on a token system for challenge mode missions or higher (raids) that allow you to exchange said tokens/currency for high end items.

It makes perfect sense given the loot based model etc. it could be something cosmetic but I don't think so given the verbiage of the rewards page.

Honestly I'm not concerned in the least.

Tovarisc

Yep, I asked Hamish last night as well but didn't get a response. Still Twitter has made communicating with companies far easier than it was before.

tbh I'm disappointed how Hamish communicates with community. He has been tagged as "community developer", but looking at his twitter feed it looks like he is kissing up to large youtubers and streamers, instead of communicating with people about issues etc.

Don't take it too seriously. It's a good thing you contacted them. I was more commenting on how you sent four tweets instead of just the one needed.

Tsemppiä!

Depends how you look at it I guess. One message was required to ask a question, spammy 3 were required me to make rest of my message / point.

Tori and stuff.

----
IAR3R01.jpg

https://twitter.com/natchai_/status/703229905409073152
Stappers doing what Hamish should be doing...

Crackbone

tbh I'm disappointed how Hamish communicates with community. He has been tagged as "community developer", but looking at his twitter feed it looks like he is kissing up to large youtubers and streamers, instead of communicating with people about issues etc.

Depends how you look at it I guess. One message was required to ask a question, spammy 3 were required me to make rest of my message / point.

Tori and stuff.

----
IAR3R01.jpg

https://twitter.com/natchai_/status/703229905409073152
Stappers doing what Hamish should be doing...

I agree with this. However I'm guessing he's been given a mandate from the publisher to get as many eyes on the game as possible right now especially since it's a new IP and likely a huge investment from Ubisoft. It's not an excuse but I can see why it's playing out like this.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Honest question. I already bought the game. Beta sold me solely on Single player/dark zone alone. Do you guys think/is there any evidence to substantiate this game having a ten year life span and being mmo type/destiny like game?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Honest question. I already bought the game. Beta sold me solely on Single player/dark zone alone. Do you guys think/is there any evidence to substantiate this game having a ten year life span and being mmo type/destiny like game?

Having a 10 year life span is really hard for games, especially on console. On PC you might hold on to a hardcore player base for longer (how profitable that might be, i dont know), but there will be new iterations every few years instead of expansions in this day and age.

And Destiny is laughable to compare to such a thing. Game barely had content and the only reason its played is due to its fps mechanics (and being the only such game on consoles)

So no, this version is probably not gonna have a 10 year life-cycle in the traditional sense, but I can see them go the old fashion route like WoW and unlock new "continents" and areas to travel to with the use of real expansion packs, in which case it might.

Having a 10 year life span is really hard for games, especially on console. On PC you might hold on to a hardcore player base for longer, but there will be new iterations every few years instead of expansions in this day and age.

And Destiny is laughable to compare to such a thing. Game barely had content and the only reason its played is due to its fps mechanics (and being the only such game on consoles)
It has boatloads of content now

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Having a 10 year life span is really hard for games, especially on console. On PC you might hold on to a hardcore player base for longer, but there will be new iterations every few years instead of expansions in this day and age.

Having spent nearly over 1000 hours on Destiny, I can tell you the fps mechanics have been thrown out the window.

That being said, my question really pertains to whether or not you think this will be a long lasting mmo-esque type game, where characters will be carried forward over iterations etc, and be a long lasting franchise. Even if it isn't i'm happy to just muck around, but im having serious questions about what type of game/franchise this will end up being. Either way I'll play it, but it's just a curiosity of mine as to how this franchise will actually play out :)

Tovarisc

Didn't they previously say there was going to be MTs? Now they say no MTs? Confused...

They said there wouldn't be micros, but there would be DLC like cosmetic items. I think they are playing perception game with terms they use, microtransactions are often connected to freemium stuff like booster packs.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Compared to launch, anyway
Buying Destiny: Legendary Edition for $40 is an INSANE value
That's like a $40 McDonald's meal.

It tastes good to begin with, but at the end you realize its all a giant waste of time to get those last 10 lights and the content you just ate is bad for your health.
Didn't they previously say there was going to be MTs? Now they say no MTs? Confused...

Really, i think all he meant was the there will be no currency micro-transactions, as there will be cosmetic transactions fo sho

You're still going to be able to buy cosmetics for real money, because they have said the cosmetics are DLC
But this confirms no pay-to-win stuff

Deku Tree

Oh so "cosmetics for real money" is something that Ubi doesn't want to call a "microtransaction". So they call it "cosmetic DLC"? Ok.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Having spent nearly over 1000 hours on Destiny, I can tell you the fps mechanics have been thrown out the window.

That being said, my question really pertains to whether or not you think this will be a long lasting mmo-esque type game, where characters will be carried forward over iterations etc, and be a long lasting franchise. Even if it isn't i'm happy to just muck around, but im having serious questions about what type of game/franchise this will end up being. Either way I'll play it, but it's just a curiosity of mine as to how this franchise will actually play out :)

It can go 1 of 2 ways.

Expansion route to keep opening up the map and ramp the level up like classic MMOs or new games with the possibility of character transfer somehow.
Oh so "cosmetics for real money" is something that Ubi doesn't want to call a "microtransaction". So they call it "cosmetic DLC"? Ok.

If you take it out of context, yes.

I expect games media to jump on this wagon soon, and "confirm" no MTS in Division

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Natchai and Tori are tasked with community interaction more than Hamish. Hamish is their manager and organizes community events, etc.

bjaelke

Exactly.
"You can buy a pack of completely cosmetic items to make you look awesome. That you will be able to do, but that's not how I define microtransactions. We don't have it, I'm very pleased to say."

It seems that the distinction used by them boils down to this: external cosmetic stuff=DLC, ingame buyable currencies etc.=micro-transactions.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It seems that the distinction is: external cosmetic stuff=DLC, ingame buyable currencies etc.=micro-transactions.

Which is totally wrong for multiple reasons, the most obvious one being "micro" and "transactions" as $20 currency pack is not "micro"

DLC = Content, something of substance, a mission, something new you can do
Micro$ = Any small transactions in the form of cosmetics, skins, currency blabla
$$greedybaby$$ = everything over $15 "micro"transactions

Klyka

Banned
It's a community manager saying this, it's not a developer. He doesn't represent the company nor does he have any insider knowledge.

I love Reddit.

If it doesn't come directly from the President of Ubisoft, I don't believe it!

Which is totally wrong for multiple reasons, the most obvious one being "micro" and "transactions" as $20 currency pack is not "micro"

DLC = Content, something of substance, a mission, something new you can do
Micro$ = Any small transactions in the form of cosmetics, skins, currency blabla
$$greedybaby$$ = everything over $15 "micro"transactions

Indeed, there is nothing micro about that, Nor about the general income generated from micro transactions by the industry. But in general it is still possible to buy things for a few quarters, I guess that's where the name/concept originated from and it stuck even when it's now somewhat of a misnomer.

I love Reddit.

If it doesn't come directly from the President of Ubisoft, I don't believe it!

It's amazing how people and communities by extension can get lost in their own narratives. They are giving more relevance to a single image by a random reddit user than to interviews, uPlay descriptions and direct responses to the matter by a community manager. Talk about self-delusions.

Edit: It was basically just one guy on reddit, nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom