• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

To me what got the most feeling what i said many times in this thread some good diablo 3 RoS vibes hopefully in terms of raids or dungeons in some sort for replayability but the most striking was the abilities with mods in D3 it is spells with runes and the loot beams and loot it self when it drops. As a RPG i am really looking out to deck out my character i am more the CQC guy so i will go SMG/Shotgun combos with all the necessary stuff to get in close with a huge HP pool to take all the tanking.

I own destiny it is a fun game but i couldn't go any further at a point to me it felt to bland even the powers and such? To me it didn't feel special unlike Diablo 3 does extremely well as an ARPG and i got this same feeling in the division because of the diverse mods you can use for offensive and defensive. Like the little rolling granate that can split up in bouncing betty's that is just awesome.

But overall the atmosphere,the lightning the sound,the music all the small details got me the most and i do want to know how the virus came to be because tom clancy right? I loved the movies that was adapted from his books but also plenty of the games that came out.

Tovarisc

Yeah that's all good but I don't think people understand just yet what they want from this game. In terms of end game it's not like any game we've had expect for Destiny but in a different setting and context with it being a tom clancy game.

To me it's a want/question of can Massive think outside of the box and add something that is both narratively interesting but also engaging, yet hard to get through with interesting game play mechanics and true team based tactics and different types of scenarios that doesn't just come down to "Go here, kill these hordes and then finish boss". I would like them to add "endgame" content that mixes elements from Dsouls or The Witness or what else that fits and combine it with what's presented in the game world, when it comes to mission types. But still introduction new mechanics or more environment interaction or new control, as long as they don't suck or break the game.

Elements from Witness? You want end game to have puzzles that have you dropping acid and praying you don't have epilepsy so you can draw some lines and open that door? :D

Elements from Witness? You want end game to have puzzles that have you dropping acid and praying you don't have epilepsy so you can draw some lines and open that door? :D

Hey! not directly that's for sure lol but something to spice it up. ;)

Really like the puzzle elements of that game. Make something that fits but adds something else to figure out.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Neat. I played the R6S beta but didn't get credit. Maybe half of a game isn't enough for credit.

komplanen

So I saw a picture one of you posted about Division rewards you can buy with Uplay points or something like that?

Where can I do that? I'm going to play the PS4 version if that matters.

Tovarisc

I watched the 30 minute live action intro on Amazon Prime. It is really good but it does nothing to explain the back story.

Smallpox Chimera got on the loose on Black Friday, starting global pandemic. Society started to fall into chaos and 1st wave of Division Agents were activated, to help with effort to maintain peace and find cure. They go MIA, all of them. 2nd wave of Agents, us, get activated and Manhattan has fallen...

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Smallpox Chimera got on the loose on Black Friday, starting global pandemic. Society started to fall into chaos and 1st wave of Division Agents were activated, to help with effort to maintain peace and find cure. They go MIA, all of them. 2nd wave of Agents, us, get activated and Manhattan has fallen...

^^ Very good summary.

Looking forward to teaming up with some of the old DGAF crew on this, only played the first Beta, but I can tell from only a few hours that this is going to be my new home for a good while.

Does anyone know if the extent of the pandemic is explained in any official lore (global spread wise?), can't find anything except for speculation myself.

I think he's talking about in a general sense that the short doesn't really give you anything. To chew on to further the stories past, its just a movie that's called The Division. No set up at all.

The put you in the thick of it, is fine for a game but for a short film like this it doesn't really work for the most part. Hope if this game is big they take another crack at this and explore more.

Klyka

Banned
^^ Very good summary.

Looking forward to teaming up with some of the old DGAF crew on this, only played the first Beta, but I can tell from only a few hours that this is going to be my new home for a good while.

Does anyone know if the extent of the pandemic is explained in any official lore (global spread wise?), can't find anything except for speculation myself.

They are keeping the spread of the virus intentionally vague before release of the game.
No one knows if it's just New York or not.

Tovarisc

They are keeping the spread of the virus intentionally vague before release of the game.
No one knows if it's just New York or not.

Smallpox Chimera is actually spreading through US like wildfire; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr5RO9LvyTs&feature=youtu.be

Found here; https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/43osm8/the_division_pirate_radio_podcast_clips/

I also remember hearing dialogue referencing virus hitting Hong Kong, London etc. and spreading in those countries like wildfire also. Can't find it now :( Then there is IGN First video where we hear NPC dialogue saying how our mission isn't just about NYC, but about saving whole human race.

Edit: Cabbagehead to save with good link

Smallpox Chimera is actually spreading through US like wildfire; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr5RO9LvyTs&feature=youtu.be

Found here; https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/43osm8/the_division_pirate_radio_podcast_clips/

I also remember hearing dialogue referencing virus hitting Hong Kong, London etc. and spreading in those countries like wildfire also. Can't find it now :( Then there is IGN First video where we hear NPC dialogue saying how our mission isn't just about NYC, but about saving whole human race.

Yeah New York is the epicenter to a much larger problem. Can't imagine what other parts of the world are going through. Seemingly without the help of the SHD. Which i doubt is world wide unless the UN, EU and the USA created something similar for first world countries, in the case of global infection.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah New York is epicenter to a much larger problem. Can't imagine what the other parts of the world are going through. Seemingly without the help of the SHD. Which I doubt is world wide unless the US and the USA created something similar for first world countries.

I am pretty sure it isn't world wide, but I bet it is US wide.
Probably every huge US city has some Division agents in it.

I am pretty sure it isn't world wide, but I bet it is US wide.
Probably every huge US city has some Division agents in it.

Seems like it's not just the USA especially since the NYC is a huge export and in port hub. It would make sense if they wanted to expand the game outside the US.

hydruxo

this is one of the worsts waits i had for a game

We're almost there amigo

NxXxH0l.gif

Real question here; About Proximity chat, is there an option to hear the other players in my headset instead of in the TV Speakers? I'm asking cuz from my Beta experience, I could hear peolpe talk to me but the proximity chat volume is really low so it was hard to understand and coordinate...

thanks gaf.

bjaelke

Seems like it's not just the USA especially since the NYC is a huge export and in port hub. It would make sense if they wanted to expand the game outside the US.
SHD's field of operation seems to be limited to domestic issues.
The Division, short for Strategic Homeland Division (SHD), is a response to weaknesses and problems identified in exercises like Operation Dark Winter and real-world disaster scenarios.

“The main difference from any other agency, organization or department is that the Division is a last resort measure. As such, the members of the Division supersede any other operative, agent or federal employee in the field. They have a form of executive power and answer directly to the President” explained Martin.

Another major point is that the Division is a covert organization in peace time; its members are embedded within society all across the nation waiting and preparing for activation. The Division receives funding through Federal channels but without public oversight. This is a type of setup inspired by “Stay behind movements” who had their origin during WW2. “Simply put, the Division is intended to ensure the continuity of government in the case of a catastrophic emergency.

SHD's field of operation seems to be limited to domestic issues.

Oh I know that's why I said:

Yeah New York is the epicenter to a much larger problem. Can't imagine what other parts of the world are going through. Seemingly without the help of the SHD. Which i doubt is world wide unless the UN, EU and the USA created something similar for first world countries, in the case of global infection.

Sounded like you were just speculating

Of course I am but it would make sense.

Either way I'm sure I heard it's not just the USA but we will see. This is some deadly stuff going around now out in the game world. With no cure.

I'd not be surprised if the UN, EU and USA have a or had a plan, after the USA did their dark winter experiment. That talks were had behind closed doors, to came up with a SHD copy of a sort's but who knows.

Exactly, seeing how NYC is a nexus of Western culture and economy, just one day without closed borders is enough to mess up the whole world.

erawsd

Yeah that's all good but I don't think people understand just yet what they want from this game. In terms of end game it's not like any game we've had expect for Destiny but in a different setting, gameplay and context with it being a tom clancy game.

To me it's a want/question of can Massive think outside of the box and add something that is both narratively interesting but also engaging, yet hard to get through with interesting game play mechanics and true team based tactics and different types of scenarios that doesn't just come down to "Go here, kill these hordes and then finish boss". I would like them to add "endgame" content that mixes elements from Dsouls or The Witness or what else that fits and combine it with what's presented in the game world, when it comes to mission types. But still introduction new mechanics or more environment interaction or new control, as long as they don't suck or break the game.

Either way i rather have that ^ then end game that's just hard to get through just because they're raids and have higher level loot only. That at the end of the day, doesn't stick to the mid crisis game scenario or forgets that its a factor...which would suck.

Whether its killing hordes and a boss or some crazy witness puzzles, I think the devs should give people a better idea of what to expect. I think thats one of the mistakes Bungie made with vanilla Destiny, they didnt manage peoples expectations and that resulted in heavy backlash it got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom