• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tratorn

Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting the game etc.

But dodging questions and not answering anything is kinda lame

I'm in the same boat. I'll still get the game (#PartOfTheProblem), but there doesn't seem to be much end game content that'll hold me for a longer period of time. I'll still play DZ every now and then, even when I have already decent equip, but that'll get old if there is not much else for some variety.

I haven't been following the game long enough to form an opinion about Massive so this AMA absolutely surprised me. It's lazy non-communication a week out from their release date.

No, of course the game director knows what was changed. That is my point. He should have elaborated. They are being frustratingly vague at a time when they are getting ready to release. The time for dodging questions should be over.

My experience with Massive has been extremely positive. They care a lot and love their fans. However, they're owned by Ubisoft and that means they do what they're told. Massive are just a tool for the Ubisoft marketing team since no one wants to hear canned non-answers from Josh in Marketing. This is generally how the whole industry works with publisher owned devs.

Yikes. Maybe the Gold edition being OOS was a good thing. This was gonna be my first preorder since Destiny burned me, but maybe I'll hold off.

I want to believe :(

I wonder how much money Activision paid IGN to make the AMA like it is
We know they've taken bribes before, so it doesn't seem out of place

Pandy

I completely disagree. Yes, the main objective of the DZ is acquiring loot, but saying that it will become boring? We must have been playing different games. I had a ton of fun just running around with my friends and PvPing, whether there was loot involved or not. Honestly it was some of the most fun I've had in any multiplayer game ever, and that includes Destiny and it's raids.

'PvPing' at the end of the Beta was a bit of fun.
'PvPing' at the end of the full game when you've got maxed out gear, and all you're doing is killing other people who are trying to get their own maxed out gear, is essentially just trolling.

That's fine if you enjoy that sort of thing, but without the element of risk/reward on both sides the DZ wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting.

EDIT: I should add that, yes, the core-gameplay is rewarding enough in itself so if there was a round-based PvP mode then that'd be great. The DZ is not that.

They are probably hoping the Dark Zone and challenge modes will keep people occupied until they can finish the raid.

I hope so. I mean i dont even need raids. I'd be very happy with super frequent updates (weekly, bi-weekly?) to the DZ that consist of new gear/weapons/loot and smaller missions etc.

They're is zero chance they're hiding something like a raid when the mention of it would be rewarded with more pre-orders. Not a chance.

That's what i was thinking. No reason they'd hide it. It would be more fuel for the marketing fire. Makes me think there might not be much more to the end game than what we saw in the DZ. We'll see.

Yikes. Maybe the Gold edition being OOS was a good thing. This was gonna be my first preorder since Destiny burned me, but maybe I'll hold off.

I want to believe :(
Believe it!
Look, outside of this, Massive has been very open when asked direct questions, with no bullshit canned responses like those coming out of this Ask Me Cherry-Picked Questions.
Have faith in Newbisoft

This should all sound very familiar to you, my friend.

6t1ItEn.gif

Have faith in Newbisoft

I want to! Siege is my favorite shooter and I enjoyed The Division beta.

Calcium

Banned
I hope so. I mean i dont even need raids. I'd be very happy with super frequent updates (weekly, bi-weekly?) to the DZ that consist of new gear/weapons/loot and smaller missions etc.

Same here. I'd be perfectly happy if they just added missions and events to the Dark Zone to liven things up. The whole "social experiment" of the Dark Zone isn't going to keep my interest that long. If there is nothing to do people are just going to start killing each other like crazy out of boredom like the end of Beta.

I don't want to invalidate people who want an end game experience. It's totally fine to want that in this game and to be turned off if it's not there.

But I don't really agree with the idea that a loot game is all about the end game. Borderlands and Diablo are both great loot game RPGs that aren't about the end game.

Additionally, even though their sequels had enhanced loot treadmill systems that extended the game experience only a small percentage of players ever got to the "endgame" systems in those games. In fact I'd say that these games don't add much additional content if any beyond the idea of replaying the game experience on a higher difficulty...

So I feel like it's unfair to say that loot games are end game focused. They're loot focused and The Division seems to do loot really well.

Even the Beta made me excited and interested in the colored drops and what I could do to get better gear.

I would agree with you on Borderlands but Diablo is solely about end game. Nothing until you hit max level matters at all and they have trivialized leveling up because of that. Being concerned about having no information on endgame in a loot based game is a completely valid concern. Probably not going to find out more until launch though. That being said I had a really fun time in the Dark Zone in beta and am confident I will get a lot of enjoyment out of release.

'PvPing' at the end of the Beta was a bit of fun.
'PvPing' at the end of the full game when you've got maxed out gear, and all you're doing is killing other people who are trying to get their own maxed out gear, is essentially just trolling.

That's fine if you enjoy that sort of thing, but without the element of risk/reward on both sides the DZ wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting.

EDIT: I should add that, yes, the core-gameplay is rewarding enough in itself so if there was a round-based PvP mode then that'd be great. The DZ is not that.

This is what the different levels of the DZ are for. No?

Same here. I'd be perfectly happy if they just added missions and events to the Dark Zone to liven things up. The whole "social experiment" of the Dark Zone isn't going to keep my interest that long. If there is nothing to do people are just going to start killing each other like crazy out of boredom like the end of Beta.

It's going to be this or the opposite and everyone's going to ignore each other and roll around looking for enemies/crates to loot. I can't believe they'll let it come to this though. I'm sure there are going to be loads of missions and events in the DZ. *prays to Alex*

Archpath1

The idea of DZ though is that everyone is out to get something, by any means. Killing npcs or players your there to get shit, not everyone is gonna play nice

deoee

HELLO
I AM THE PURPLE M1A
I AM HERE TO CHEER YOU UP
IGN has always been utter shit, games journalism as a whole is just not a pretty place
On the other hand, Massive is cool, and IGN is bad.

It's not only IGNs fault, didn't Massive pick the questions?

Hi btw! Why are you purple and not yellow?

Pandy

This is what the different levels of the DZ are for. No?

That only stops high-level players messing around with low-level players.

It doesn't stop 'maxed' high-level players with nothing to lose (or gain) from messing around with other high-level players who are sweating over extracting their best gear. If both sides don't have something to win/lose then the DZ dynamic kinda goes out of the window...

...which might be part of the 'social-experiment' thing, but as I don't enjoy bullying people in my spare time it's hardly an end-game I'm going to be striving towards.

Maybe they just don't want to spoil anything regarding end game. Everyone is losing their shit over a stupid AMA.

What would they be "spoiling" by telling people what to expect? As far as i can remember most MMO-esq games with end-game content have outlined exactly what to expect in the past. Most recent for me were Diablo III and Destiny IIRC. They pretty much told us everything... well at least way, way more than Massive/Ubi have.

Tecnniqe

Banned
HELLO
I AM THE PURPLE M1A
I AM HERE TO CHEER YOU UP
IGN has always been utter shit, games journalism as a whole is just not a pretty place
On the other hand, Massive is cool, and IGN is bad.

GIFS-Excited.gif

IGN cherry-picked those questions.
To be quite honest, those could all be dummy accounts made by IGN

Names seems like something a nickname generator would spew out.
Probably why theres 2 of the same question.

Heck they probably made the answers since theres 2 of that too

Need to make a hard choice today. My 20% off coupon expires tonight. Pre order on PS4 digital, pre-order through best buy GCU, or wait for the reviews?

PS4
Pro: Pre loading. I like the way the controller feels. A lot of people from GAF are going to play on this system. Uses my 20% coupon and earn $15 back in rewards. Audio and Mic through the controller.

Con: My wife and son love playing on the PS4 w/ battlefront (survival mode) so I wouldn't get as much time to play at release.

PC
Pro: Them next gen graphics with my GTX 970. 20% off through GCU and $10 back in rewards. Best friend has a PC and might be able to play with me.

Con: Wii U controller that has a flipped A B buttons (Could use Steam Controller as well). Big fear of potential hackers. Can't get audio through my controller.

Wait and see
Pro: GCU for 20% off if I just buy it new from BB. Game might be hot trash on it's first week and I save myself all the money. Get to pick the platform with the least issues. I have other games I could be playing. I pick up the division when it goes on sale because Ubisoft's going to Ubisoft.

Con: Miss out on all the day one excitement online and with people who have pre-ordered at work. I don't get to play the division.

I need to make at least one choice today.

BraXzy

Jesus I just read the AMA. What a pointless waste of time, lord.

Questions to things that have been covered at length on every site ever. Ridiculously obvious things like "Will there be high-end armor in The Division, along with weapons?"... Meh.

I don't want to invalidate people who want an end game experience. It's totally fine to want that in this game and to be turned off if it's not there.

But I don't really agree with the idea that a loot game is all about the end game. Borderlands and Diablo are both great loot game RPGs that aren't about the end game.

Additionally, even though their sequels had enhanced loot treadmill systems that extended the game experience only a small percentage of players ever got to the "endgame" systems in those games. In fact I'd say that these games don't add much additional content if any beyond the idea of replaying the game experience on a higher difficulty...

So I feel like it's unfair to say that loot games are end game focused. They're loot focused and The Division seems to do loot really well.

Even the Beta made me excited and interested in the colored drops and what I could do to get better gear.

Diablo isn't about the end game? ??? GTFO

What would they be "spoiling" by telling people what to expect? As far as i can remember most MMO-esq games with end-game content have outlined exactly what to expect in the past. Most recent for me were Diablo III and Destiny IIRC. They pretty much told us everything... well at least way, way more than Massive/Ubi have.

Spoiling the fact that all there is to do is replay missions on harder difficulties.

I was pretty much expecting this to be Ubisoft's Destiny but with a much better PvP mode. My hype-induced state has significantly died down but it makes the wait much easier. Here's hoping there are surprises and here's to those souls who let the hype get to them.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Need to make a hard choice today. My 20% off coupon expires tonight. Pre order on PS4 digital, pre-order through best buy GCU, or wait for the reviews?

PS4
Pro: Pre loading. I like the way the controller feels. A lot of people from GAF are going to play on this system. Uses my 20% coupon and earn $15 back in rewards. Audio and Mic through the controller.

Con: My wife and son love playing on the PS4 w/ battlefront (survival mode) so I wouldn't get as much time to play at release.

PC
Pro: Pre loading. Any controller you want. A lot of people from GAF are going to play on this system. Lot of options for cheap copies. Use any mic you want. Them next gen graphics with my GTX 970. 20% off through GCU and $10 back in rewards. Best friend has a PC and might be able to play with me.

Con:
Wii U controller that has a flipped A B buttons (Could use Steam Controller as well)
<What?
. Big fear of potential hackers. Can't get audio through my controller.

Wait and see
Pro: GCU for 20% off if I just buy it new from BB. Game might be hot trash on it's first week and I save myself all the money. Get to pick the platform with the least issues. I have other games I could be playing. I pick up the division when it goes on sale because Ubisoft's going to Ubisoft.

Con: Miss out on all the day one excitement online and with people who have pre-ordered at work. I don't get to play the division.

I need to make at least one choice today.
Fixed!

erawsd

If we're talking about Diablo 1, I'm not even sure I would call that a "loot game". The Division very much has a "loot treadmill" similar to Destiny and Diablo 3 that you are encouraged to engage with. If you want to get the best loot this game has to offer it sounds like youre going to spend plenty of time grinding various currencies and resources.

Thats how everyone feels. The difference is that for others theres a much heavier emphasis on the second half of that statement. People dont want to just collect gear, they also want to have fun doing it.

Gryph

Yeah that part is really far fetched. Diablo is the king of end game.

I mean Diablo 1. Obviously Diablo 3 is endgame focused now. Its been getting expansions and additional content for 4 years.

Guess I should have said "Original Diablo, the one that came first."

If The Division is supported for 4 years I guarantee it will be end game focused.

Thats how everyone feels. The difference is that for others theres a much heavier emphasis on the second half of that statement. People dont want to just collect gear, they also want to have fun doing it.

Like I said, I don't want to invalidate people who want a certain kind of endgame system. I just take issue with the idea that a game focused on collecting loot needs to be all about the end game. Loot collection and improvement during the course of the RPG experience can be a game system to itself, without the need for raids or additional end game content.

I mean Diablo 1. Obviously Diablo 3 is endgame focused now. Its been getting expansions and additional content for 4 years.

Guess I should have said "Original Diablo, the one that came first."

If The Division is supported for 4 years I guarantee it will be end game focused.

True, True either way if this game does or doesn't have end game isn't going to change me from playing it. Waited a long time to play this and i got a taste and I want the rest until I get bored (Steam brought and paid for will get the season pass later). But if there's something to keep things fresh in the game already or added later then it's all good.

Must do jumping jacks with the best gear in game guys

Jumping jacks are reserved for finding scarfs and for killing stupid people. Oh, you're alone and picking a fight with my group? Yeah, you dead now. *Jumping jacks over body*

Jumping jacks are the new tea-bagging basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom