• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WGMBY

Found this on Reddit:

I read that as there will be endgame level encounters in the game, but not necessarily anything new or radically different from the missions we do in the run up to the level cap. We know raids will be coming in at some point, which will presumably make up the PVE endgame proper, but I feel like
digging deeper into the story or finding easter eggs
will amount to little more than finding audio logs and hunting down crashed drones.

Splitting time between Raids and the DZ could get old quick.

I'm still probably getting this game despite my bellyaching. Few friends from college played with me during the beta and we had a blast, so I'll be right there with everyone else.

TheBear

The PS4 version is 30fps, it has been mentioned that there will be GI options that will give you the choice to prioritize visuals or performance.

Playing PC version in the beta with a gamepad was fine for me, especially for pve activities. Thanks to the aim assist. I wouldn't use a gamepad for Dark Zone activities though. And I'm not sure if it's possible to perform well on challenge mode (hardest) missions with a gamepad later. It was not available in the beta.

As for the PS4 (or console version in general), there'll be an option to choose between performance or image quality. I'm guessing that with image quality, you'll get dips below 30 in hectic battles, like the hardest missions and/or dark zone activities. You'll want to switch to performance for those.

I've had some terrible encounters on PS4 (potato aim for both parties). I can't imagine going up against someone using M/KB with a controller.

There will be two options for that - "Visual" and "Performance". The latter dialing back the lighting for a higher framerate. Likely unlocked and "juddery" for some.

More options on PC as far as visuals and performance, but there's also a problem of cheaters/hackers

As someone playing on a pad, which was would you lean? Destiny didn't bother me being 30fps but that was super optimised. Might wait and see the performance results after release.

Tainted

The PS4 version is 30fps, it has been mentioned that there will be GI options that will give you the choice to prioritize visuals or performance.

I wonder how much of a performance increase we are talking here ? 60fps ? I wonder how many PS4 players would sacrifice on graphics to play at that frame rate ?

Ive been playing on PC with a i7/970 combo and its beautiful at 60fps...personally if I were playing on PS4 I would do whatever it takes to play at 60

As someone playing on a pad, which was would you lean? Destiny didn't bother me being 30fps but that was super optimised. Might wait and see the performance results after release.

I think The Division runs pretty well on the PS4. If you prefer pads then I think you should just go for the PS4 version. But it depends on how much you value all the graphical options a PC can offer you.

I wonder how much of a performance increase we are talking here ? 60fps ? I wonder how many PS4 players would sacrifice on graphics to play at that frame rate ?

Ive been playing on PC with a i7/970 combo and its beautiful at 60fps...personally if I were playing on PS4 I would do whatever it takes to play at 60

We don't know, but I don't think 60fps is attainable with everything The Division is doing. I see it as a stable framerate option more than anything. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Archpath1

C'mon guys your not gonna be playing a game forever much less a developer gonna be creating content for that long

If I keep playing a game throughout a year I find it successful, and got my value out of it

pharmx

C'mon guys your not gonna be playing a game forever much less a developer gonna be creating content for that long

If I keep playing a game throughout a year I find it successful, and got my value out of it

Isn't this exactly what people are worried about though? I don't think anyone would be upset if a game can keep them engaged for a year. I believe most of the concern revolves around blowing through content within a week or two and not having anything meaningful left to do. Carrot on a stick grind is only good if the carrot is worthwhile.

Those of you that are "disappointed with destiny" how many hours did you put into destiny in total?

You can spend a lot of time in an addictive game and still find whole aspects of it that were completely deflating disappointments.

My disappointment mostly stems from the fact that it could have been a lot more. The problem with Destiny was the vision, or lack thereof. That's why I give The Division the upper hand at a similar point in its life: it feels far more cohesive.

I hope it doesn't have raids like destiny those were complete shit, and after doing them once I noped out of that crap. I anything random scenarios or missions varying in difficulty would be ideal. I just hope complainers don't turn this game into another Destiny since Bungie can choke on that crap sandwich

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this exactly what people are worried about though? I don't think anyone would be upset if a game can keep them engaged for a year. I believe most of the concern revolves around blowing through content within a week or two and not having anything meaningful left to do. Carrot on a stick grind is only good if the carrot is worthwhile.

I'm not worried about it at all. I don't expect or even necessarily want a game that goes on for hundreds of hours. Honestly if I played the game for 20 - 30 hours and got my fill from it I'd be happy. Doesn't mean I won't spend a lot of time playing The Division either but just that I'm not too worried about quality gameplay time for my money. That's personal to the player though I guess.

You can spend a lot of time in an addictive game and still find whole aspects of it that were completely deflating disappointments.

My disappointment mostly stems from the fact that it could have been a lot more. The problem with Destiny was the vision, or lack thereof.

Couldn't have said it better. I love destiny in spurts when the DLC releases but I hate the grind and don't stick aground after I complete the new raids a few times etc. It also doesn't help I find the PvP horrible.

The Division really seems like it could be more up my alley if we get more, less-repetitive stuff to do after you reach max level.

Calcium

Banned
The Division really seems like it could be more up my alley if we get more, less-repetitive stuff to do after you reach max level.

That's one thing Massive has going for them. They can look at Destiny and know what not to do. Hopefully they learn from Bungie's missteps and deliver.

My disappointment mostly stems from the fact that it could have been a lot more. The problem with Destiny was the vision, or lack thereof. That's why I give The Division the upper hand at a similar point in its life: it feels far more cohesive.
Not me I don't play games that are ultimately addictive unless they are good. I don't play Diablo 3 for that reason and i freaky love Diablo.

Destiny look uninspired after I saw the direction they were going in with sticking with sci-fi so heavily and not going more fantasy knight-ish like in the old concept art.

pharmx

Personally, I think their implementation was more the problem than their vision. They just handled things in a very poor fashion imho.

That's one thing Massive has going for them. They can look at Destiny and know what not to do. Hopefully they learn from Bungie's missteps and deliver.

The fact that a studio that's been around as long and as experienced as Bungie even made these missteps is what concerns me. I'm hoping The Division has enough people with RPG backgrounds/experience to know what kind of crowd they're trying to cater to.

Calcium

Banned
The fact that a studio that's been around as long and as experienced as Bungie even made these missteps is what concerns me. I'm hoping The Division has enough people with RPG backgrounds/experience to know what kind of crowd they're trying to cater to.

I think Activision is mostly to blame for a lot of what went wrong with Destiny. It seemed like the game was scrapped and reassembled late in development. Hopefully Massive is in better hands.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Compared to some full game releases, I actually owe Ubisoft the purchase price already just for time spent on the Beta.

Yep. I couldn't care less about all this marketing and hype crap. Just gimme the beta + whatever and I'll give you $60.

Those of you that are "disappointed with destiny" how many hours did you put into destiny in total?

Is this the "your opinion is invalid because you failed to play for several hours" counter?

If I could use M/KB on the PS4 I would

Is this the "your opinion is invalid because you failed to play for several hours" counter?

Quite the opposite, actually. There's a large contingent of Destiny players who complain the game doesn't have enough content to keep them satisfied, yet put 100+ hours into a game, without a monthly fee.

I've talked about this before, but it's humorous when we have a game like FO4 give you ~80 hours of content and we're happy, but a game Like Destiny can give you an extensive game where one could put easily 100+ hours and yet people complain.

What people really want to say is they want content that is actually fun. People moaned about Destiny for months and months, yet we have people dropping hundreds of hours into it. It's hard for a dev to recognize shortfalls when the player base is still emphatically hooked on your game.

I guarantee 95% of devs out there WISH their game could keep players hooked as much as Destiny does; and yet, you read a Destiny forum and it sounds like Destiny is forcing these people into labor camps to free their souls.

I guarantee 95% of devs out there WISH their game could keep players hooked as much as Destiny does; and yet, you read a Destiny forum and it sounds like Destiny is forcing these people into labor camps to free their souls.

I partly agree but there are things to gut Destiny for. But this last line is fire jesus. lol

I partly agree but there are things to gut Destiny for. But this last line is fire jesus. lol

Oh, yeah. Totally agree. I actually think there's quite a bit of content in Destiny (Sorely, missing crafting in my opinion [ty Massive]). It's more of an issue as to how the treadmill is designed that is off-putting.

Animator

Oh, yeah. Totally agree. I actually think there's quite a bit of content in Destiny (Sorely, missing crafting in my opinion [ty Massive]). It's more of an issue as to how the treadmill is designed that is off-putting.

Speaking of that do we know how crafting will work in Division?

One of them being, that even with most of the DLC. You don't get much else at all when it comes to mission setting and variety. All these planets and you are still going to the same areas, especially on earth. I mean they're improving the game but they are improving things that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. But are also not given the players enemy types and the like to explore more things. So much concept art wasted or "saved" for DLC and or for the next game. Without much meat otherwise overall. It has a treadmill but it's one that gets the gamer hooked and then leaves them sucked dry, wanting more. But not in the best way.

Quite the opposite, actually. There's a large contingent of Destiny players who complain the game doesn't have enough content to keep them satisfied, yet put 100+ hours into a game, without a monthly fee.

I've talked about this before, but it's humorous when we have a game like FO4 give you ~80 hours of content and we're happy, but a game Like Destiny can give you an extensive game where one could put easily 100+ hours and yet people complain.

What people really want to say is they want content that is actually fun. People moaned about Destiny for months and months, yet we have people dropping hundreds of hours into it. It's hard for a dev to recognize shortfalls when the player base is still emphatically hooked on your game.

No it is pretty much the exact opposite.

Gotcha

Randy42

Wow that Q&A was a mess of answering shit people already knew and doing a bunch of non-answers

I'll be really disappointed if there isn't more to do in the DZ. I went against my better judgement and pre-ordered, which I never do, but gave in because of the potential.

:/

Yeah this was a major problem for a lot of people I played the beta with, if that was legit just all there is to do in the DZ its something most of them would get bored of within a couple days and they knew it. It's also something that worries me. For a game releasing a year+ past its initial date shortcomings like this should've been recognized and fixed.

Again if you expected, anything from a PR AMA held by IGN. With their track I record then I don't know what to say. I called this a mile away more then a few pages ago, but still I saw people getting hyped...poor sods.

If this AMA was held doing the closed beta then, i would have expected more but it's seven days away. Their not going to give away much of anything or they don't have much and it was already presented before.

But after dodging/being vague about the Brooklyn question so much and then someone finding it in the Beta files. I'm leaning towards them wanting to really stick to trying to surprise use. Despite how gamers want everything now but rather or not this works out is pretty risky to bank on in this era.

I mean in one of the developers interviews one of them said they want to surprise us. Massive likes doing that it seems. Not their first time.

Darkgran

Looks like I am going digital for the Gold Edition since it's sold out on Amazon..

Its basically the same as the physical edition content wise right?

ramyeon

Did a bit of crafting and gang upgrades in AC: Syndicate to get the Uplay points I needed for the Iconic Jacket and Snow Skin. Should be set now, only other thing I really wanted is the Rainbow 6 unlock.

But at least we are discussing about Destiny The Division now.

Did a bit of crafting and gang upgrades in AC: Syndicate to get the Uplay points I needed for the Iconic Jacket and Snow Skin. Should be set now, only other thing I really wanted is the Rainbow 6 unlock.

I got it from just playing the Beta. But tbh I don't think it's really special. And if you really care about looking like a R6 operator, then why didn't you just buy R6?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Came into some extra cash so I went to change my order to the Gold Edition and it's currently unavailable on Amazon. Damn

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I kind of feel like Ubi just pulled the gold edition of Amazon today. It may show back up after release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom