• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoee

Got both consoles (well actually 4 ) and I want to pre-load this thing NOW, but it's killing me every time there's a multi-plat release. If I go with the X1 where all of my friends are, am I getting the lesser/ slightly worse overall, visually ver?

I think they are on par but the resolution was a bit lower (you can of course check Eurogamers DF of the Open Beta)

Kane1345

Got both consoles X1/PS4 (well actually 4 ) and I want to pre-load this thing NOW, but it's killing me every time there's a multi-plat release. If I go with the X1 where all of my friends are, am I getting the lesser/ slightly worse overall, visually ver?

XB1 ver has dynamic scaling if I'm remembering properly but that's the only real difference I think. Personally, I go where my friends are.

deoee

jSoBsHl.png

Kane1345

Gif of them dodging the hype train and important questions

I still think that was IGN cherry picking dumb questions and not really on Massive. Hopefully the people that want some end game info get it this week. Still time Massive, still time.

deoee

I think that's my favorite thing about this Q&A.

How do you post such a small amount of text and don't realize you posted an entire question and answer TWICE??

Quality journalism.

The "build an article out of this" bot fucked up.

Lamptramp

Got both consoles X1/PS4 (well actually 4 ) and I want to pre-load this thing NOW, but it's killing me every time there's a multi-plat release. If I go with the X1 where all of my friends are, am I getting the lesser/ slightly worse overall, visually ver?

I played tons of the alpha on the Xbone and likewise beta on both.

The dynamic resolution is noticeable, but not massively (no pun) I'm not precious about res if the rest of the experience is solid, so YMMV.
If it were me I would not hesitate in picking up the Bone version if thats where all my friends were playing. Friends every time and from my time in game the rest of the experience is like for like.

Theorry

‏@UbiAustralia
Good news Aussies! The same Oz-based servers used in the Open Beta are 100% confirmed for launch #TheDivision

Lucifon

Go with your friends. You'll struggle to notice any difference between the two whatsoever when playing.

I still think that was IGN cherry picking dumb questions and not really on Massive. Hopefully the people that want some end game info get it this week. Still time Massive, still time.

We all know what this means from history repeating itself time and time again. End game will be pretty much same as beta end game with some crafting thrown in and currency farming. Don't hold much expectation for the end game, but enjoy the ride there.

Kane1345

We all know what this means from history repeating itself time and time again. End game will be pretty much same as beta end game with some crafting thrown in and currency farming. Don't hold much expectation for the end game, but enjoy the ride there.

Indeed. I was mostly speaking about people who need that kind of info, like some of my friends. I'm personally already invested in the game and just want more.

I think they are on par but the resolution was a bit lower (you can of course check Eurogamers DF of the Open Beta)

XB1 ver has dynamic scaling if I'm remembering properly but that's the only real difference I think. Personally, I go where my friends are.

I played tons of the alpha on the Xbone and likewise beta on both.

The dynamic resolution is noticeable, but not massively (no pun) I'm not precious about res if the rest of the experience is solid, so YMMV.
If it were me I would not hesitate in picking up the Bone version if thats where all my friends were playing. Friends every time and from my time in game the rest of the experience is like for like.

Go with your friends. You'll struggle to notice any difference between the two whatsoever when playing.

So it's pretty much on par with PS4s ver, then I'm all set and shouldn't delay any longer pre-loading it on X1...thx all !

You should really have low and realistic expectations for the content of this game so you don't end up disappointed.

Also, why do you mock people who are hoping for an end game, Klyka? Is it unreasonable to want a raid type mode for this game in addition to the grindfest?

Klyka

Banned
You should really have low and realistic expectations for the content of this game so you don't end up disappointed.

Also, why do you mock people who are hoping for an end game, Klyka? Is it unreasonable to want a raid type mode for this game in addition to the grindfest?

Endgame is a buzzword.

I'm making fun of the ridiculous focus on some undefined "endgame" where 10 people will give you 10 different opinions of what an endgame even is.

Bought the special edition this morning. I just like everything about this game, being a third person guy too it's just great. I'm hyped and I rarely do get hyped these days.

Has it been confirmed how the darkzone will work whilst levelling up? I know there is tiers based on your non DZ level but what if you levelled to 30 before ever going on in the DZ; would you not just get slaughtered by everyone and everything?

inki

Has it been confirmed how the darkzone will work whilst levelling up? I know there is tiers based on your non DZ level but what if you levelled to 30 before ever going on in the DZ; would you not just get slaughtered by everyone and everything?

There are diff darkzones each with a level range. Depending on which one you go to you will own or get owned. Not sure if entry is gated on level (which would be cool to keep people from trolling noobs). But once you get max level the ENTIRETY of the DZ's will ramp up to MAX Level with you.

Hey did everyone see this? Here's how The Division's full game differs from the beta.

Got some stuff I was unaware of. (I may have missed it in this thread as it came out over the weekend).

SomTervo

My expectations are completely in check. I just want more of the same content I experienced in beta. Can't really go wrong there.
Same.
the core concept and content of the game is fun to me.
that's all that really matters.

Yup. If literally all we have is what's in the Beta, stretched out over more levels, with the skill tree unlocked, then I'm 100% happy with that. I was enjoying just as a sort of open world TLoU/Rainbow Six-meets-Splinter Cell.

End game will be pretty much same as beta end game with some crafting thrown in and currency farming

???

Machina

Banned
Can I get some impressions GAF? How does it play? What's the general gist? I know it's an RPG and there is loot but how is the game feel? Is it typical of most third person shooters or is it a more polished experience like Gears or Uncharted?

SomTervo

There are diff darkzones each with a level range. Depending on which one you go to you will own or get owned. Not sure if entry is gated on level (which would be cool to keep people from trolling noobs). But once you get max level the ENTIRETY of the DZ's will ramp up to MAX Level with you.

Hey did everyone see this? Here's how The Division's full game differs from the beta?

What Inki said - but yes, IIRC the DarkZone 'tiers'/'regions' are gated.

So say the bit in the beta is like Dark Zone rank 1-10. When you hit Dark Zone rank 11, the second tier will open up, stretching a bit further north uptown. Then you can go up into that new zone and your Dark Zone is ranks 11-20. Same goes on up to the 5th tier.

Once you hit max dark zone rank, the whole Dark Zone is open and you can run about anywhere in there.

PS thanks for the link - that's awesome.

Can I get some impressions GAF? How does it play? What's the general gist? I know it's an RPG and there is loot but how is the game feel? Is it typical of most third person shooters or is it a more polished experience like Gears or Uncharted?

I went into the open beta with low/zero expectations.

What I got included/was like:
- open world The Last of Us (in terms of kill-or-be-killled apocalyptic atmosphere, tension, high-danger gameplay, amazing adventure through the world)
- a really, really solid singleplayer Third Person shooter (never tried co-op). I'm a huge Uncharted fan and I was happy as larry playing this
- a very clever and super-intense competitive element (the lawless Dark Zone)
- one of the best designed, super-detailed open world cities I've ever seen (lots of nooks and crannies, vertical levels, hidden loot, side content, to and extent randomised encounters, shortcuts, etc)
- a great RPG system which reminded me a lot of Deus Ex: three skill trees with lots of depth and very useful skills/abilities in each. It's sometimes actually hard to choose what to run with
- a phenomenal fashion game. Like literally I spent 2 hours walking the deserted streets, rifle in hand, looking for houses I could bust into for more clothes
- better combat than Destiny (ofc Destiny has better shooting and shootfeel, but The Division's cover system, better-than-Destiny AI and strategy puts it way above for me. Just my taste.
- a mix of the best parts of Rainbow Six Vegas, Rainbow Six Siege, and Splinter Cell Conviction/Blacklist

It had shortcomings - when you ran out of content it felt pretty empty (then: to the Dark Zone), and it still had a bit of a lame Destiny-like loot game, with some weird UI design, but on the whole it was bloody great. I'm super stoked for the full thing. And two weeks ago I was not interested at all.

SomTervo

Console versions of the game will be able to adjust graphic settings to increase frame rate. You'll be able to choose Performance, or Visual Fidelity

Enemy NPC density and roaming capabilities in and out of the DZ will be increased come the full game. These numbers were reduced for testing purposes.

shiiiieeeettt

I knew these were sort of known already, but re-reading them a week before release... hnnggg

Tecnniqe

Banned
Help me DivisionGAF, do I pre-order the Limited edition from GAME (£47.99) to get the NYFD and NYPD outfits along with Hazmat or the Gold from amazon (£59.99)?
Pc or Xbox you can VPN the code for the outfits + 2 more.
PSN in EU won't allow that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom