• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. I haven't really been following this game too much and didn't take part in the Beta.
So I might be a bit out of line in asking this but from what you guys have played does it seem fun to play with just 1-2 other people?

Me and 2 friends are looking for a new co-op game and this one came up during the conversation but we are not sure if it's ment to be played in small groups.
We got Destiny but felt pretty dissapointed with it beause a lot of the content seems to be aimed at 3-6 players and we are often just 2 (between work, families, studies and everything else it gets complicated for the 3 of us to connect at the same time. Specially now that I'm living in a country in a different time zone).
Raids were for 6 people and the weekly events became pretty challenging with just 2 of us so we mostly focused on PVP.

You should be fine. Remember, you can complete the entire campaign together and should find some luck in the Dark Zone. During the beta I played with one other friend and we had a great time. If all else fails, you shouldn't have a problem finding a couple more people through Division-GAF.

Lnkn52

Watching that trailer, all I saw was

giphy.gif

Roussow

Hey there, I've seen quite a few comparisons to Destiny, which is great -- I really liked the gameplay loop in Destiny, although I've fallen off of Destiny of late as the high end stuff there can't really be done in matchmaking, even beyond Raids, stuff like Nightfalls and even one-offs like the Black Spindle mission were just kind of off limits to me without a crew of people.

How much of The Division is super viable on your own? Or maybe with one other person -- I might have a few friends grabbing this one, but even still, I'm curious if endgame content has been detailed.

Edit: This seems to have been answered, sounds good guys -- see you in a week!

So. I haven't really been following this game too much and didn't take part in the Beta.
So I might be a bit out of line in asking this but from what you guys have played does it seem fun to play with just 1-2 other people?

Me and 2 friends are looking for a new co-op game and this one came up during the conversation but we are not sure if it's ment to be played in small groups.
We got Destiny but felt pretty dissapointed with it beause a lot of the content seems to be aimed at 3-6 players and we are often just 2 (between work, families, studies and everything else it gets complicated for the 3 of us to connect at the same time. Specially now that I'm living in a country in a different time zone).
Raids were for 6 people and the weekly events became pretty challenging with just 2 of us so we mostly focused on PVP.

There is matchmaking in the game, and I'm pretty sure the amount of enemies scale with the size of the group.

This picture I took basically confirms gameplay before you get to Manhattan.
It's Fay before the explosion.

Does it? It was my initial idea too. Although there are already a lot of 'confirmations' of Brooklyn. I think the fact that they mention Brooklyn again in the trailer is a better indication for example. The reason I'm unsure about Fay is because she seems to have a cut (or at least some type of indentation) on the left side of her forehead, this could be from her head wound. But it was kinda unclear, so it could be before or after the accident.

EDIT: After watching again I do lean towards the idea that it's pre, because what you hear in the trailer is what's she actually saying during that part. Plus we see Brooklyn's side of the Manhattan bridge again right after.

SirDgby

Neo Member
Hey there, I've seen quite a few comparisons to Destiny, which is great -- I really liked the gameplay loop in Destiny, although I've fallen off of Destiny of late as the high end stuff there can't really be done in matchmaking, even beyond Raids, stuff like Nightfalls and even one-offs like the Black Spindle mission were just kind of off limits to me without a crew of people.

How much of The Division is super viable on your own? Or maybe with one other person -- I might have a few friends grabbing this one, but even still, I'm curious if endgame content has been detailed.

Edit: This seems to have been answered, sounds good guys -- see you in a week!

From the beta experience, pretty much the entire thing was viable solo. Its definitely going to change your DZ experience and there are a lot of 'group mechanics' such as tanking, healing etc. that weren't fully utilized in the limited beta, but I don't see any reason you can't jump in and play alone. The missions scale up based on party size so presumably they can continue to be solo'd.

In the DZ, you're going to obviously have to be a little more careful wandering around and keeping distance between yourself and larger groups, but its not too hard if you can keep your situational awareness up.

Deku Tree

hopefully their "raid" will have matchmaking unlike some other game

I hope it doesn't actually. A raid with MM will not be a raid. It can't have real "mechanics" that require communication and coordination if it has MM. It can't be too hard with MM. In short a raid with MM would be nothing more than a few story missions strung together with bonus loot, and to me that's not something that you should call a raid.

In the DZ, you're going to obviously have to be a little more careful wandering around and keeping distance between yourself and larger groups, but its not too hard if you can keep your situational awareness up.

That can work for some of the DZ altercations; however, many will involve the larger groups you mention and those cannot be dealt with solo (unless you're very over-leveled or a gaming god). I feel that as such the DZ is very off-putting to solo players for the most part. They'll mostly be limited to snagging loot chests and the smallest groups of enemy AI. Or they can risk approaching/teaming up with other players in the DZ.

Don't forget that the DZ will be about 3 times as big, with the same amount of players. The real trouble for small groups will come from NPCs. A smaller group will have the added benefit of being harder to spot if you move around wisely. The biggest risk from other players will come during extractions I imagine, because that will be broadcasted across the entire DZ.

During the open beta I teamed up with a fellow Gaf member and we had a blast doing missions and working together extracting gear in the DZ. If you have watched any of the Sidestrafe videos they are pretty close to how we also coordinated our co-op game play.

So, I say go for it!

SJRB

Gold Member
This made me want to blow up every Cleaner I see...

The Cleaners are savages. there was an echo in the beta where it recreated a scene of a group of Cleaners burning a car with people in it. The voice acting and audio work was amazing, the screams were chilling.

I'm going to enjoy killing them, no doubt.

If that trailer doesn't get the blood pumping I don't know what will.

"We are the wolves". Dayum, I genuinely felt a chill.

Potential OT title right there.

Hmm...

Klyka

Banned
The Cleaners are savages. there was an echo in the beta where it recreated a scene of a group of Cleaners burning a car with people in it.

The voice acting and audio work was amazing, the screams were chilling.

The best thing about that Echo was that the Cleaners didn't say a word.
They drove up, all you hear is their gas mask breathing and then they just burn them.

SirDgby

Neo Member
That can work for some of the DZ altercations; however, many will involve the larger groups you mention and those cannot be dealt with solo (unless you're very over-leveled or a gaming god). I feel that as such the DZ is very off-putting to solo players for the most part. They'll mostly be limited to snagging loot chests and the smallest groups of enemy AI. Or they can risk approaching/teaming up with other players in the DZ.

If you're fighting a group of AI and some other players roll up on you and want to kill you, yeah, you're in a bad spot... then again, you're probably toast in that situation even with a full group.

The DZ at launch will be a lot less dense (24 players in 8 zones vs 2 zones)... even when I ran into groups of 4 hostiles in beta, 9/10 times I could get away pretty easily. If you're playing cautiously, its rare that you're going to end up stumbling into a bunch of hostile players at such a close distance you can't turn and book it... use your rolls and put some cars between you and they're going to lose you when they stop running to line up their shots.

If you're still really struggling with it, there is very straightforward matchmaking as well.

If you're fighting a group of AI and some other players roll up on you and want to kill you, yeah, you're in a bad spot... then again, you're probably toast in that situation even with a full group.

The DZ at launch will be a lot less dense (24 players in 8 zones vs 2 zones)... even when I ran into groups of 4 hostiles in beta, 9/10 times I could get away pretty easily. If you're playing cautiously, its rare that you're going to end up stumbling into a bunch of hostile players at such a close distance you can't turn and book it... use your rolls and put some cars between you and they're going to lose you when they stop running to line up their shots.

If you're still really struggling with it, there is very straightforward matchmaking as well.

Wait... there's DZ matchmaking as well?! That will be cool for some of the solo players!

Se_7_eN

The Cleaners are savages. there was an echo in the beta where it recreated a scene of a group of Cleaners burning a car with people in it. The voice acting and audio work was amazing, the screams were chilling.

I got that one, every time I encounter them or collect info on them, I hate them more and more... They are a really well done enemy.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

That is potentially one of the dopest OT titles of all time.
Let's take back Manhatten, save the world... 6 days!

SirDgby

Neo Member
Wait... there's DZ matchmaking as well?! That will be cool for some of the solo players!

Yes... there's a terminal at Camp Hudson (not sure about other locations) that you can matchmake from... it prompts whether you want to MM for missions or for DZ.

I get that running solo in the DZ might seem intimidating, but I had some downtime in beta when my friends were offline and I decided to try it out. The grind for credits was a lot slower not being in many big PvP fights, but its definitely doable.

Pandy

I was fairly non-plussed with the trailer, and was sighing at the silly impression/preview quotes they'd cherry picked to lead with, but the delivery of that line pulled me right back in.

The Division |OT| The Wolves are exercising

bjaelke

Yes... there's a terminal at Camp Hudson (not sure about other locations) that you can matchmake from... it prompts whether you want to MM for missions or for DZ.

I get that running solo in the DZ might seem intimidating, but I had some downtime in beta when my friends were offline and I decided to try it out. The grind for credits was a lot slower not being in many big PvP fights, but its definitely doable.

You can matchmake from anywhere outside the Dark Zone by opening the map and switching tab.

226_160118085053_1.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Controller and Special were in the beta. Special was usually a boss in the DZ, and there were Controllers in the contaminated area with Cleaners. They rolled with shotguns.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'll repost this real quick:

So we got some interesting enemy types in there.

Like "Controller" and "Special".

People got any ideas regarding the different classes of enemies?

Special was already in the beta. Those are just the harder named bosses.

Kane1345

So we got some interesting enemy types in there.

Like "Controller" and "Special".

People got any ideas regarding the different classes of enemies?

Controller might be that son of a bitch cleaner type that used turrets against me. Bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom