• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just had my first bug where I joined up at Madison Square and promptly fell through the ground. When it finally reset me, I had to run a good ways to get back to the mission start, when it promptly kicked me out of the group and put me back at base. It sucks because I was having fun with that group.

Klocker

Ahh cool, really looking forward to getting into this solo and maybe check out some matchmaking once I get the feel

SpokkX

It's an RPG - why is this irritating? Works like it should :) Compare it to something like Dragons Age Origins where normal guys take several sword cuts etc.

Have you ever been to any major city? People tend to have x cars ( and I guess when shit goes down they flee in terror and start running when the road is blocked etc.)

well it is still a shooter also and in a shooter it just feels like lazy design with bulletsponge enemies. In fact the setting makes it even worse

That does not explain why the cars are just there to obviously provide gears of war cover. Imo it breaks the illusion also

Tovarisc

Regarding the cars, sort of makes sense as everyone abandoned their cars quickly when the virus hit. Not sure why they wouldn't be able to be driven though. I think it's just one of those elements in a game you have to accept and ignore. Same as "Why can't I just throw a grenade at every door and enter any building?". I do wonder if we'll be able to drive vehicles at some point as the map gets bigger and bigger with DLC.

I would take bicycle over car :b

Nokterian

Only 12 hours orso left!

giphy.gif

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Just joined up with a different group and fell through the ground AGAIN. Fuck this.

EDIT: Just fell through the ground a third time. I'm done for now.

Tovarisc

Just joined up with a different group and fell through the ground AGAIN. Fuck this.

EDIT: Just fell through the ground a third time. I'm done for now.

It was known bug in the closed beta, that joining group could drop you through the ground if group in question was in loading screen. Apparently it's not fixed in this build :D

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It was known bug in the closed beta, that joining group could drop you through the ground if group in question was in loading screen. Apparently it's not fixed in this build :D

I never had this problem with the PS4 CB build. I don't think they were in a loading screen. I could see my teammates running around MSG. Also, when the game is telling me I have a matchmaking invite but it isn't telling me to hold R3, where do I go to accept said invite?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't know what the hell is going on but I reinstated the pre-order, this time on Xbox. The shooting/gunplay feels completely different with Xbox's controller, it feels like it has substance.
Unless they changed how the gunplay feels since the closed beta 1 month ago?

Helznicht

well it is still a shooter also and in a shooter it just feels like lazy design with bulletsponge enemies. In fact the setting makes it even worse

That does not explain why the cars are just there to obviously provide gears of war cover. Imo it breaks the illusion also

Sounds like this game is not for you. There are COD and R6Siege that are not hampered with lazy design.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I don't know what the hell is going on but I reinstated the pre-order, this time on Xbox. The shooting/gunplay feels completely different with Xbox's controller, it feels like it has substance.
Unless they changed how the gunplay feels since the closed beta 1 month ago?

It feels the exact same.

ryanofcall

As for the immobile cars critique. I think it would be awesome if you could move the cars/cover if the door is open, but it would be a mess at the same time.

Did it bug you killing humanoids in Mass Effect? Killing humans in Borderlands? If it did, don't know what to say.

But, to call it lazy design makes absolutely no sense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really easy way to at least cheese the single player encounters is to use a sniper with the turret. The AI is just totally screwed and I haven't seen that many enemy snipers this time around.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It feels the exact same.
Then the impulse triggers make that much of a difference then, Jesus.
One of my most anticipated games, the closed beta made me cancel the pre-order due to weak-feeling, uninteresting gunplay. I wasn't even going to bother with the open beta, but for some reason I said I'll have another go, and it feels completely different, got me to pre-order again.

deoee

One of my most anticipated games, the closed beta made me cancel the pre-order due to weak-feeling, uninteresting gunplay. I wasn't even going to bother with the open beta, but for some reason I said I'll have another go, and it feels completely different, got me to pre-order again.

This sounds odd but nice that we have you back :3

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

The impulse triggers distract me, honestly. They're so loud that it constantly breaks immersion. I will say the elite controller is really nice with this game though. Weapon switch and reload available without changing the location of my fingers is super handy.

I think you are doing something seriously wrong with your aiming and/or fire control if taking down normal enemies takes you so much ammo.

There are plenty of normal enemies in the dark zone that are insane bullet sponges, solo. I have a purple sniper rifle that is doing 5500 dmg head shots and its taking 4-6 headshots to kill some of the level 8 enemies in the DZ with shields. Obviously its impossible to really tell how difficult stuff will be at level 30 but all indications are that many mobs are going to be big bullet sponges, which kinda makes sense it would be a bit weird if every mob was just 1 hit kills. Still its a bit annoying, in a group its super easy but if you try and solo big groups it can be very time consuming, especially as shields regen.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Did they upgrade the power of NPC's in the DZ? I am getting slaughtered, haha.

Tovarisc

There are plenty of normal enemies in the dark zone that are insane bullet sponges, solo. I have a purple sniper rifle that is doing 5500 dmg head shots and its taking 4-6 headshots to kill some of the level 8 enemies in the DZ with shields. Obviously its impossible to really tell how difficult stuff will be at level 30 but all indications are that many mobs are going to be big bullet sponges, which kinda makes sense it would be a bit weird if every mob was just 1 hit kills. Still its a bit annoying, in a group its super easy but if you try and solo big groups it can be very time consuming, especially as shields regen.

Didn't patch notes for OB say that they made enemies in DZ tougher? Very possible they overdid it, but in CB everything died SO fast after you got purple quality weapons and even just few purple items with firearms stat.

Can people with actual experience playing this chime in as to what to expect, impressions, etc...? My initial response is it looks like a generic retooled Destiny and, in general, is incredibly boring to watch. I realize playing it might be a different story. But so far this has gone from one of my most anticipated titles to pure "meh" (similar to what happened with Evolve, actually)....

todahawk

Can people with actual experience playing this chime in as to what to expect, impressions, etc...? My initial response is it looks like a generic retooled Destiny and, in general, is incredibly boring to watch. I realize playing it might be a different story. But so far this has gone from one of my most anticipated titles to pure "meh" (similar to what happened with Evolve, actually)....

I was expecting not to like it but I got sucked in. It's fun. A lot of fun.
I was expecting to not like the Dark Zone PVP but I was wrong. It's tense and crazy and fun.

ryanofcall

For me it went from WOW! to meh, then back to WOW! after playng the closed beta.

Raide

A much more serious tone that Destiny. Outside of a few similarities, The Division is a different beast altogether. The focused being the DZ and Rogue mechanics.

The atmosphere as you roam around is really good if you spend the time soaking it in and not just get your levelling head on and plough through content. There is a decaying and rotten element to the world, where things have gone to shit really quickly. You feel at risk as you run around, not some Destiny super badass, especially when the DZ's kick in.,

Just like most games, you can solo well enough but the real meat is Co-op, either in organised parties, or impromptu DZ ones.

This is a beta, so really only a glimpse of the overall gameplay but its already more interesting to me than Destiny, especially since they seem to be getting loot right in The Division from Day 1.

Having a real hard time trying to matchmake the hard mode hospital mission, not sure what is going on. loading screen for minutes, only to be sent back to my world, then the next game I was kicked from the group for some reason

Smokey

There shouldn't be any problem streaming the beta right (Xbox One)? I get a black screen on my channel when streaming this.

nvm - seems to be a problem with twitch on my x1. i cant stream anything, my channel says offline.

Oh no. Getting MIKE error code 20250383

Your account is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please try again later.

*screams internally*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom