• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milennia

going to buy on xbox one to play with some irl friends and if i like it a lot ill buy it on pc as well, didnt even play the beta so going in semi blind, just hoping there is a ton of pve content, specifically group content.

Calcium

Banned
I'd really like to run a healing build, but it'd be rough when I'm running solo in the DZ. There isn't a dual spec system or anything, right?

LProtag

I'd really like to run a healing build, but it'd be rough when I'm running solo in the DZ. There isn't a dual spec system or anything, right?

You can switch skills and talents as much as you want. You just unlock them by upgrading your base of operations.

In terms of the stats (firepower, stamina, electronics), they're all gear based. So it's pretty easy to have multiple builds. You just change up your skills and talents and then change up your gear.

Calcium

Banned
You can switch skills and talents as much as you want. You just unlock them by upgrading your base of operations.

In terms of the stats (firepower, stamina, electronics), they're all gear based. So it's pretty easy to have multiple builds. You just change up your skills and talents and then change up your gear.

Ah, that sounds great. I'll just have to put in the time to get the BoO upgraded to do everything I want. Thanks.

Gryph

So a friend got me the Borderlands collection today...

I've played through and enjoyed Borderlands 2 on a few different characters back when it was released.

But coming back to it now I was just shocked, really shocked by how bad the shooting is. It's mechanically really painful to play. I mean, I know some people are down on The Division gunplay but it's like night and day with Borderlands.

Have things really changed so much?

ryanofcall

So a friend got me the Borderlands collection today...

I've played through and enjoyed Borderlands 2 on a few different characters back when it was released.

But coming back to it now I was just shocked, really shocked by how bad the shooting is. It's mechanically really painful to play. I mean, I know some people are down on The Division gunplay but it's like night and day with Borderlands.

Have things really changed so much?

No it's just a whole different kind of shooting. If you go back to Gears of War 1 you'll have a similar experience of shooting. I always preferred (strategic, slower) TPS cover shooting to fast chaotic ego shooting mechanics. But comparing these two makes no sense at all. (that's also why I don't get why people compare Destiny to Division. I don't like Destiny at all because I don't like the core mechanics, but I loved Division from the first second)

Gryph

No it's just a whole different kind of shooting. If you go back to Gears of War 1 you'll have a similar experience of shooting. I always preferred (strategic, slower) TPS cover shooting to fast chaotic ego shooting mechanics. But comparing these two makes no sense at all. (that's also why I don't get why people compare Destiny to Division. I don't like Destiny at all because I don't like the core mechanics, but I loved Division from the first second)

I understand the difficulty of comparing shooters. Especially third person / first person shooters and cover based shooters / rush shooters. However these games are very similar and can be compared.

Specifically I think Borderlands and The Division are mechanically comparable in a lot of ways. Both systems have multiple gun types with a variety of incremental stats and both systems have enemies with very large health pools. Certain weapons have special abilities that tie into your character stats and talents and enemies tend to appear in packs with different roles.

Now the way that the games play and your strategies in both need to be very different, that's mostly due to the mechanical difference of cover based vs rush.

But I'm more concerned with the very feeling of shooting and AI action. The feeling of shooting in Borderlands just isn't satisfying to me at this point. That is of course a subjective judgement but there is something present in The Division that makes the act of shooting deeply satisfying in a way that Borderlands isn't. I'm not sure if it's a feeling of impact or weight or a formula of weapon effectiveness...

The key difference is that in The Division, after I shot some things, I wanted to shoot more things. In Borderlands 2 after I shot some things, I wanted to go read a book.

I'm sure I didn't feel that way about Borderlands 2 when I first played it...

El_Chino

I'm the same. Gold edition + season pass +agents origins code. all 3 show up on my downloaded items list on Xbox .com but only the core game + hazmat and national guard outfit is displayed. Hoping that will change come release.

I hope this gets resolved soon.

Sober

I'm probably going to do something like this, though I might consider a medic/support hybrid type role too. I'm thinking LMG is the weapon of choice here for suppressive fire and hanging back to watch over the team?
I mean sounds great for PVE but call me skeptical that using an LMG against players will do anything unless you enforce a suppression mechanic on players as well. Which I don't think is part of the game. (Ubi has done this before in GR: Future Soldier)

I want to LMG/Tank as well but I also probably realize that probably will only be PVE feasible.

GravyButt

Ive had my agent origin code for xb1 sitting in my email unused for a while now and went to redeem it on the xboxlive website and got an error message. When/where can we redeem these?!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
In Rainbow we have a PSN chat tied to the group, so you can add it to favorites, makes setting up games very painless.

However we had to remake it once due to non-gaffer message spam. I works well if 1) you only add gaffers 2) everyone agrees not to message spam.

Otherwise it's more bothersome than helpful and people start leaving/deleting the chat.

LProtag

I mean sounds great for PVE but call me skeptical that using an LMG against players will do anything unless you enforce a suppression mechanic on players as well. Which I don't think is part of the game. (Ubi has done this before in GR: Future Soldier)

I want to LMG/Tank as well but I also probably realize that probably will only be PVE feasible.

Fair point. I guess I'd have to switch with something else for the Dark Zone.

J-Rzez

Hopefully GMG gets the codes out for this fast, and not a "day of" code distro. I'm on spring break and want to wake up and play this all day.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
giphy.gif

it me

edit: Keep the invites coming yo

Q0lDK4Pvs4R8.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

I made a PS4 community group for DivisionGAF about a week ago. We've got some members in there already but I'd love to see the group get bigger so that we can always have another resource for finding people to play missions with, getting squads together for the Dark Zone, etc.

If those of you who are playing on PS4 are interested, here's how to find it:

1. Go to the Friends tab on your PS4.
  2. Search for 'hydruxxo' in the PSN search. Scroll down to my communities and select 'DivisionGAF'
  3. Send a request to join, and you're good to go
I'll try and accept any requests as soon as I get them, and feel free to send me a friend request (PSN: hydruxxo) too!

grimmiq

Didn't play a lot of the beta but I've given in and pre-ordered..need something other than SF5 to keep me busy til Dark Souls 3.

Raids are confirmed right? I wonder what environments or places they'll go. I think it'd be cool to go to the facility where the virus was developed or originated from.

Evolved1

Raids are confirmed right? I wonder what environments or places they'll go. I think it'd be cool to go to the facility where the virus was developed or originated from.
They are assumed. For better or worse.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Raids are my favorite part of MMOs so I'd quite enjoy them! I love the feeling of working with a bunch of other people and playing your role well to overcome crazy bosses or encounters

We all praying for raids but honestly it doesn't look good since they're so vague and don't really wanna talk about end game content.... huge red flag.

Evolved1

Raids are my favorite part of MMOs so I'd quite enjoy them! I love the feeling of working with a bunch of other people and playing your role well to overcome crazy bosses or encounters
In the latest AMA IGN insists they asked about raids but Massive declined to answer. Guess it really wasn't an AMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom