• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

Noob weapons like that shouldn't be in the game. An instant exploding grenade launcher with huge splash damage when all the other weapons are bullet sponge rifles

Makes no sense.

Maybe don't bunch up on the extraction rope if there's people creeping nearby? That's what the pulse ability is for. If those guys had used a pulse and seen him behind cover they could've avoided the whole situation. Can't really blame the guy for taking out unassuming players, and the sticky bomb is hardly to blame.

Maybe don't bunch up on the extraction rope if there's people creeping nearby? That's what the pulse ability is for. If those guys had used a pulse and seen him behind cover they could've avoided the whole situation. Can't really blame the guy for taking out unassuming players, and the sticky bomb is hardly to blame.

It's an instant exploding nuke. I can't believe such a cheap weapon makes it in when the TTK on other weapons is about 5 seconds. What's the counter to that weapon?

PatDH

It's an instant exploding nuke. I can't believe such a cheap weapon makes it in when the TTK on other weapons is about 5 seconds. What's the counter to that weapon?

Are.. you being serious right now? Did you play either of the betas at all? Not trying to come across hostile, genuinely asking.

Oooh and with this post I'm finally a Member. Only took me 6 years, 7 if you count the year of lurking before I was even made a Junior haha.

hydruxo

I said it in my last post. The pulse ability.

I can't tell you how many times I've avoided situations like that by constantly using my pulse. You have to anticipate things like that happening in the dark zone, especially when you're at an extraction point. People are there for loot. So if you're just bunched up like that at the rope, you're an easy target.

LProtag

Alright, just grabbed a HyperX Cloud II so I can actually chat in game.

Pretty much all in on this now. Hope to play with you guys on PS4! Gotta go through and add people on DivisionGAF.

to be honest - it's not an " instant exploding nuke". played both betas for around total of 25 hours and this thing hits directly for aproximately 2\3 of HP pool. ofc there are times when attacker has high tech skill so his dmg is high and your hp is low, but that's ok for an rpg based game. I guess counter to the sticky nade is gonna be armor with effects against AOE damage. that's what I think from top of my head. but yeah - right now - it's totally cheapest way to nuke players.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Can't wait for the mountains of salt after release of people screaming and bitching for DZ nerf.

If you actually watch the video, he throws a grenade then shoots the sticky bomb. Everyone at the extraction zone had ~3 seconds to react yet they just stood there. They deserved what they got.

Anybody else really want Coney Island and the surrounding boardwalk area as a DLC addition? I think it would be the most perfect setting esp. in the snow. The place gets atmospheric as shit when it actually gets snow.

A creepy, abandoned, snowy boardwalk with shops, dilapidated carnival stuff and coasters.... fuck yes!

79927792-man-walks-on-the-coney-island-beach-during-a-gettyimages.jpg

Do it Massive!

Gryph

Alright guys, preordered gold edition on psn. My body is soooo ready! There is a division gaf community? If so where do I sign up!?

Here it is.

Q0lDK4Pvs4R8.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

I made a PS4 community group for DivisionGAF about a week ago. We've got some members in there already but I'd love to see the group get bigger so that we can always have another resource for finding people to play missions with, getting squads together for the Dark Zone, etc.

If those of you who are playing on PS4 are interested, here's how to find it:

1. Go to the Friends tab on your PS4.
  2. Search for 'hydruxxo' in the PSN search. Scroll down to my communities and select 'DivisionGAF'
  3. Send a request to join, and you're good to go
I'll try and accept any requests as soon as I get them, and feel free to send me a friend request (PSN: hydruxxo) too!

Kabouter

I can't tell you how many times I've avoided situations like that by constantly using my pulse. You have to anticipate things like that happening in the dark zone, especially when you're at an extraction point. People are there for loot. So if you're just bunched up like that at the rope, you're an easy target.

Yep, also if you've been playing in the same dark zone for like half an hour you start to recognize the rogues and so if they hang around at one extraction point while the helicopter is still on its way you know what's going to happen, and that's a great time to immediately run to a different extraction point knowing they will never get there in time to prevent you from extracting stuff.

If you pulse them and they want to kill you... And they have an instant exploding bomb with a range of about 4 meters diameter.... You're dead whether they're pulse scanned or not. That's not a counter. What's the counter to an instant exploding huge bomb? Bizarre

Dark zone will be absolutely bombarded with this awful weapon which flies in the face of the high TTK tactical gameplay elsewhere.

Sorry, I have noob questions and am very excite.

How much loot can you carry? Can this amount be upgraded?

Clothing and armor, are they separate? Can I stick with the look of one design , but keep getting different gear?

Weapon skins, are they exclusive to a weapon type?

How are grenades, ammo and I assume health packs handled? Do enemies drop them upon death, or do you buy them from a vendor?

So weapons deal damage in an RPG sense, are headshots critical damage zones? Does shooting a dude in the foot do the same damage as shooting someone in the chest?

Are weapons customizable, or just randomly generated?

Kabouter

If you pulse them and they want to kill you... And they have an instant exploding bomb with a range of about 4 meters diameter.... You're dead whether they're pulse scanned or not. That's not a counter. What's the counter to an instant exploding huge bomb? Bizarre

Dark zone will be absolutely bombarded with this awful weapon which flies in the face of the high TTK tactical gameplay elsewhere.

The pulse shows you their location and you can anticipate this happening, and either book it to a different extraction point or just find cover somewhere behind them, wait for them to start killing the people extracting and then take them out for easy DZ XP/money.

Tons in PvE area, and that can be upgraded by getting a bigger backpack and also through a perk iirc. A much smaller amount (6 iirc by default) in the dark zone, that also upgrades once or twice via perks.

Clothing and armor, are they separate? Can I stick with the look of one design , but keep getting different gear?
Yes

Not in the beta at least.

How are grenades, ammo and I assume health packs handled? Do enemies drop them upon death, or do you buy them from a vendor?
Dropped from enemies, found in small crates, and med packs can also be picked up from certain resupply points.

So weapons deal damage in an RPG sense, are headshots critical damage zones? Does shooting a dude in the foot do the same damage as shooting someone in the chest?
Headshots do more damage, but critical damage is separate from that. Shooting in the foot does less damage than to the torso.

Both afaik

What if you wait for one to ambush a group, then you ambush the ambush?

Tovarisc

You didn't play neither of betas at all, right? At least this reads like you didn't.

Yes, pulse doesn't hard counter that bomb. What it does is give you awareness about people in your proximity and their positioning, their location alone can be huge giveaway about what they are planning to do. What they have in hand, have they loot on them, are they trying to hide in flanks... That soft counter intel is huge. Also like mentioned you need very high tech skill to OHK another player, so even if one is shot at you and you initiate dodge you take some, little or no damage at all.

Initiation of PvP is a lot like chess in a sense that players tend to look at each others gear, item carry status, positioning etc etc. to read what they can, may do and will do.

Thanks Kabouter for the info.

I can see myself being the last person to call for an extract in an area. I'll likely never go rogue, but also don't want it to happen to me. I'd hate to be the guy that could potentially make someone upset and feel like they wasted their time.

Not sure, but I've never been 'encumbered' or reached the inventory limit in the beta.

Yes, they are separate. Armors still have their own visuals though, but kinda barely noticeable.

No, you can apply them to any weapon type.

Enemies drop them sometimes, and you can also replenish them in weapon caches.

Not sure, I turn damage numbers off all the time.

Weapons are moddable, if that's what you mean.

Answered as best as I can.

Tovarisc

Thanks Kabouter for the info.

I can see myself being the last person to call for an extract in an area. I'll likely never go rogue, but also don't want it to happen to me. I'd hate to be the guy that could potentially make someone upset and feel like they wasted their time.

You will go rogue and kill some player, at least once. I can guarantee it. I actively avoided going rogue and killing neutral players, but every now and then someone didn't watch where they were going and ran into my fire. If you do good damage you will turn rogue before you can react, and most likely kill player in process.

It happens.

You didn't play neither of betas at all, right? At least this reads like you didn't.

Yes, pulse doesn't hard counter that bomb. What it does is give you awareness about people in your proximity and their positioning, their location alone can be huge giveaway about what they are planning to do. What they have in hand, have they loot on them, are they trying to hide in flanks... That soft counter intel is huge. Also like mentioned you need very high tech skill to OHK another player, so even if one is shot at you and you initiate dodge you take some, little or no damage at all.

Initiation of PvP is a lot like chess in a sense that players tend to look at each others gear, item carry status, positioning etc etc. to read what they can, may do and will do.
Yes played the beta and loved every minute.

What I love is the tactical gameplay. The gunplay. The higher ttk. The tense nature of the game. Completely different from games like destiny with their insta kill golden gun abilities etc.

Then you see a video like above of someone firing an instant exploding nuke and suddenly everything is abandoned for a grenade launcher instant kill call of duty style. It's the complete opposite of what the game stands for.

Question that I never got answered, can only one weapon have a weapon shader on it at a time?

Like I can't have both of my primary weapons have solid-red unless I have two solid-reds?

LProtag

So what sort of build/playstyle is everyone considering?

I'm thinking support (either full on medic, or medic with buff/debuffs, or just full on buff/debuff) with LMG and assault rifle, but I'm not so sure. Maybe assault rifle and SMG.

Tovarisc

Yes played the beta and loved every minute.

What I love is the tactical gameplay. The gunplay. The higher ttk. The tense nature of the game. Completely different from games like destiny with their insta kill golden gun abilities etc.

Then you see a video like above of someone firing an instant exploding nuke and suddenly everything is abandoned for a grenade launcher instant kill call of duty style. It's the complete opposite of what the game stands for.

In that video those victims of gank did huge missplay. They clustered up into ball, even when there was 5? guys and only 4 can use rope, and didn't pay any attention to anything else than to rope. Also player ganking them throws in frag grenade [does good damage + bleed] that he follows up with remote explosive [which does decent damage + has trigger delay] to finish group off. Remote explosive doesn't OHK that ball, it's combowombo of two explosives.

Ganker would have been in deep shit or unable to initiate if that group of players had better control on EZ and eyes on surroundings. Gameplay that you describe above, and I did in my post, isn't happening here.

squidyj

So what sort of build/playstyle is everyone considering?

I'm thinking support (either full on medic, or medic with buff/debuffs, or just full on buff/debuff) with LMG and assault rifle, but I'm not so sure. Maybe assault rifle and SMG.

I know for pve I love the turret, the thing doesn't just deal damage, it provides covering fire and draws enemy attention, you can even throw it so it reaches behind cover. it does so much for you on so many fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom