• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoee

image.php

when you post your analogy juuuuuuuuuuuuust right

I have to chuckle every time :D

Klyka

Banned
So going through a lot of the same stuff again, my doubts about this concept holding up over a full game and beyond are still there. Mostly because of mission variety. I have this lingering fear that the DZ will be the real star of the game with the rest being kinda lackluster.

for me personally, that is ok.

I played the DayZ standalone for like 200 hours and that doesn't even have zombies or any kind of worthwhile mechanics apart from "shoot other dudes" in it.

I feel Division will give me enough playtime for my money.

Plum

Just finished the first two missions. To be honest I'm not sold.

The gunplay isn't that great, the constant running around gets annoying and I'm just not feeling it really. Maybe it's better in MP, but I have no one to play with so that doesn't really apply to me.

The pc port is really good though, which when looking at Ubisofts track record is a really nice surprise. Runs and looks great at high settings on my 970.

Frostburn

Hyped to play this on PC tonight. I hear from Reddit that weapon properties are still someone client side so users can "Hack" a file for unlimited ammo among other things. I hope they directly address this soon or PVP will be a bit unfair.

ramyeon

So many disconnects and errors - didn't have this much of an issue with the closed beta. Guess it might pay to wait until tomorrow to jump in.

the tutorial video never popped up for me...just put me on the menu and I went from there

weird

----

"Very High" Local Reflections may be a new graphics sertting on PC (at least I don't remember it being there before...thought "High" was the most for that))

So many disconnects and errors - didn't have this much of an issue with the closed beta. Guess it might pay to wait until tomorrow to jump in.

Well since this beta is open to everyone and not like closed beta which was only a fraction, I am assuming their servers are getting hammered which is probably a good thing right now so launch can go smooth.

ryanofcall

Just approached 3 random NPC's that were walking up to a dead NPC.

Male1: "Oh my god... it's Jason"
*Girl falls on her knees and starts crying*
Male2: "Come on, we need to go."
Male1: "Yes he's right we need to leave"
Male2: "Hey! Are you with me? We need to leave!"
Male1: "We need to go or they'll find us, too!"
etc.

AdiBPrO.jpg

The atmosphere in this game is SO AMAZING

viHuGi

Banned
Ok wtf this game is simply amazing woow

I can't believe it yet.

The graphics are insane and it's really fluid, my only complaint is that UI is kinda confuse but it's a RPG so I guess it's on purpose.

Xater

for me personally, that is ok.

I played the DayZ standalone for like 200 hours and that doesn't even have zombies or any kind of worthwhile mechanics apart from "shoot other dudes" in it.

I feel Division will give me enough playtime for my money.

I just feel like I ma being set up for another Destiny experience, in the sense that I see these great parts, but then they also do so much wrong. I'd like to be as positive as you are, but I just can't but what I am given here. This game continues to be on my list of titles that will need reviews and impressions of the full game to be considered.

PooBone

I played up to level 7, then went into the dark zone and got my ASS HANDED TO ME. Over and over I could never get anything out of there. For everything I did good I would die. Every time I went up a level, I would die and level down.

I think campaign and co-op is gonna be the way to go for me unless I can get some friends with mics to go in with me. Several groups would roll around, four people just ruining everyone in sight.

Anyone else playing on Xbone? GT: PooBone

ryanofcall

the tutorial video never popped up for me...just put me on the menu and I went from there

weird

----

"Very High" Local Reflections may be a new graphics sertting on PC (at least I don't remember it being there before...thought "High" was the most for that))

for me neither - it did in the closed beta though, so I assumed it saved that I already watched it, because I didn't delete the client

Cleve

hate to be reductive but so far for me this is just Battlefield in 3rd person

They play nothing alike, other than you use a reticle to aim a gun in both of them.

Ok wtf this game is simply amazing woow

I can't believe it yet.

The graphics are insane and it's really fluid, my only complaint is that UI is kinda confuse but it's a RPG so I guess it's on purpose.

I found the UI confusing at first, but got adjusted reasonably quickly. The game's been a lot of fun though

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So what's the new DZ level scale?

Is 8-12 ramped up to take a long time?

I played up to level 7, then went into the dark zone and got my ASS HANDED TO ME. Over and over I could never get anything out of there. For everything I did good I would die. Every time I went up a level, I would die and level down.

I think campaign and co-op is gonna be the way to go for me unless I can get some friends with mics to go in with me. Several groups would roll around, four people just ruining everyone in sight.

Anyone else playing on Xbone? GT: PooBone

Try not to go rogue unless you are confident you won't die. You lose major points that way. Just stick around people if you can. Once you find a rogue that's points for you. Remember there are different levels in the DZ. NPC wise.

Klyka

Banned
I just feel like I ma being set up for another Destiny experience, in the sense that I see these great parts, but then they also do so much wrong. I'd like to be as positive as you are, but I just can't but what I am given here. This game continues to be on my list of titles that will need reviews and impressions of the full game to be considered.

Just like Destiny, the game is "shoot men and get some loot too".
And you do it with friends.
And if you have no friends,in this one you can matchmake every single activity.
Apart from that, stealing people's loot just because you can and getting your own stolen or just in general PvPing doesn't really get old super fst because of the proximity chat and text chat meaning just like in DayZ you can hear people whine.
That human element is important.

I don't really see how the game needs "more impressions" when you can literally play it right now. The full game is just gonna be "a bigger map with more missions" and a "bigger DZ".

constant disconnections

huh?

I laughed so hard hearing people debating about why I was following them, they finally decided I was going to go rogue so they killed me rofl it was great.

Xater

Just like Destiny, the game is "shoot men and get some loot too".
And you do it with friends.
And if you have no friends,in this one you can matchmake every single activity.
Apart from that, stealing people's loot just because you can and getting your own stolen or just in general PvPing doesn't really get old super fst because of the proximity chat and text chat meaning just like in DayZ you can hear people whine.
That human element is important.

I don't really see how the game needs "more impressions" when you can literally play it right now. The full game is just gonna be "a bigger map with more missions" and a "bigger DZ".

There are still lots of potential points of failure. If you don't see them good for you, I guess?

Klyka

Banned
I laughed so hard hearing people debating about why I was following them, they finally decided I was going to go rogue so they killed me rofl it was great.

people talking in open mic proxy chat about how they will kill you once you have loot is pretty funny

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
So DivisiGaf, I played both PC and XB1 during the closed beta and pre ordered on PC (£28 FTW). Played on XB1 last night and will be playing on PC for the rest of the weekend (yey).

How are you guys playing kb & m or controller?

Normally I'm controller all the way for 3rd person however I can't really think of a time I would have played PvP on PC and had the option for kb & m.

Also does it seem that there are more rogues this time round? At the start of the closed beta everyone seems to freak out and shoot first, this time people seem to wait until your back is turned before putting you down, even if you don't have loot. Yeah I know don't turn my back :( .

The new mission is pretty cool, the scenario is superbly done. Coming from the closed beta to this feels really awesome with all the experience gained.

people talking in open mic proxy chat about how they will kill you once you have loot is pretty funny

Yea I tend to follow people in larger groups so that way if they do go rogue there is more of a chance they die too. No one is giving up getting more xp for killing a rogue because "we just met, we're friends, right..." haha

my only complaint is that UI is kinda confuse but it's a RPG so I guess it's on purpose.

I felt that way when I was watching closed beta streams but I was able to adjust surprisingly fast.

I only messed with the PvE stuff for about an hour yesterday but enjoyed myself enough to hold on to my preorder.

Guys I have a quick question. If a friend completes a few missions but I haven't at all, and then we do co-op, how does it work? Will we start the story from the beginning?

Klyka

Banned
Guys I have a quick question. If a friend completes a few missions but I haven't at all, and then we do co-op, how does it work? Will we start the story from the beginning?

story missions can be infinitely replayed.

if your friend did encounters though and you join his game,the encounters he has done will be gone, even if in your game you didn't do them.

Cleve

S
How are you guys playing kb & m or controller?

Normally I'm controller all the way for 3rd person however I can't really think of a time I would have played PvP on PC and had the option for kb & m.

Also does it seem that there are more rogues this time round? At the start of the closed beta everyone seems to freak out and shoot first, this time people seem to wait until your back is turned before putting you down, even if you don't have loot. Yeah I know don't turn my back :( .

KB&M. I never understand how anyone could choose to play something that relies on precise aiming, even going as far as giving bonus damage for head shots on a gamepad when they have a choice of a mouse.

You still get lots of DZ points for going rogue and killing players. The DZ is pvp. Trust no one, remember names, and maintain a KOS list.

The more progressed player joins the party/map of the less progressed player. Then you can co-op those missions together.

Xater

Which points you got?

- Mission design isn't particularly great in the beta.
- Secondary activities. All of them are bad or uninteresting in the beta.
- Loot ramp. We don't know how that will work in the full game, because I doubt the beta is an accurate representation
- Enemy variety. I don't know if what they have will be interesting enough.
- I am also still not sure about how good their end-game will be.

So yeah, I don't think this beta is enough for me to make a decision to buy this on day 1. So far only the DZ has me completely on board. The basic gameplay and skill stuff as well I guess.

Inumbris

Just played for about an hour on PC and it's fantastic so far. No network issues as of yet, and running smoothly on Ultra on a GTX 980. Haven't done any real performance testing yet; I'll chuck on my overlay tomorrow and get to tinkering with the settings.

Haven't really played enough to tell for sure, but firefights seem tight! I'm emulating mouse and keyboard through my Steam Controller and having a pretty good time.

It's a shame that it's already 1am here and my bed is beckoning, but I'm definitely looking forward to sinking some serious time into this tomorrow.

spannicus

Changed resolution from 4k to 2k now i can hear the game but it wont stay showing on my monitor. Anyone know whats happening? Reboot didnt fix.

Klyka

Banned
- Mission design isn't particularly great in the beta.
- Secondary activities. All of them are bad or uninteresting in the beta.
- Loot ramp. We don't know how that will work in the full game, because I doubt the beta is an accurate representation
- Enemy variety. I don't know if what they have will be interesting enough.
- I am also still not sure about how good their end-game will be.

So yeah, I don't think this beta is enough for me to make a decision to buy this on day 1. So far only the DZ has me completely on board. The basic gameplay and skill stuff as well I guess.

If the DZ has you on board, then those points are kinda moot for you,since they are basically all PvE focused. And the gameplay is important as well.
Destiny for example has terrific gameplay which masks the cookie cutter missions.

I mean,you can get this game on PC for like 30€ right now, I don't really see any "risk" in picking it up and playing with friends/GAFfers.

Almost level 8 again, not gone into the Darkzone yet, waiting till I get 8 to do so. So far i'm still not completely sold, however now that they've shown us upgrading the wings and abilities etc I am a little closer then I was after the previous beta. I should just be smart and wait a little bit until we know what content etc there is and what "end game" will be like.

Anyone playing on PC and have their GPU go straight to 100% as soon as you open the game? Doesn't drop from it either... hopefully that gets fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom