• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plsyed this solo for about 40 minutes and was I left less than impressed. The movement and shooting feels so clunky, restricted and stiff. On the positive I think world they have designed looks amazing and is very detailed.

I'm not giving up on it yet though. I'll play again tomorrow with some friends including some Dark Zone action, but right now this definitely isn't a day one buy.

JBwB

Maintenance.. Ah well

The game has been solid so far but it still hasn't clicked for me yet. I still haven't checked out the DZ so that's where I'm going as soon as the servers are back up.

Still on the fence with this game at the moment.

kyser73

Spent the afternoon playing SP, haven't gone anywhere near a DZ yet, and I'm loving it.

Great cover system, good movement, really nice ability to switch from cover to r&g and back to cover quickly.

I might have to buy this.

nel e nel

Are we talking about the big flamethrower Cleaner boss at the end of the tech mission?

Cause that boss got stuck under some stairs for me. Which in all honesty was a welcome glitch. He was a tough dude. Haha

Yep, same here. Bencher I think his name was? Got stuck right in front of the elevators.

zkorejo

There are :)

Are you referring to the encounters? I havent seen any other kind of missions in the DZ. Its just killing guys who are holding siege for some reason. I was thinking more like a bit longer missions with interiors, and getting amazing loot upon completing. That would make extraction even more intense.

I have played DZ for the total of 3 hours so I may be missing some things.

Are you referring to the encounters? I havent seen any other kind of missions in the DZ. Its just killing guys who are holding siege for some reason. I was thinking more like a bit longer missions with interiors, and getting amazing loot upon completing. That would make extraction even more intense.

I have played DZ for the total of 3 hours so I may be missing some things.

Boss spawns top left. Cleaner elite. drops good stuff

As to retail, they've said that events will be in DZ

EDIT: Also, check sewers. Great spawns in there with really good loot.

Klyka

Banned
I was quite surprised by the length of the subway morgue mission btw.
Also,I hope you guys took your time a bit and actually looked at the environment down there. Again,some great visual story telling.

It's possible for her to join you in your instance. I believe the option is under group management.

You can merge your zones via the group menu.
I think she has to go to your nickname and click something with Dark Zone OR you have to invite her again.

Yeah, that's how you do it!

You can only go to the higher DZ bracket, never lower (which makes sense).

Cool thanks guys, I'll give that a go today with her because DZ is lulz with a partner >_<

Klyka

Banned
Hidden chests too ;)

Yup!

Also,I do like one thing about the game so far: It seems that it treats its players with some respect/confidence when it comes to the visual storytelling.
Like,if you walk into the mass grave in the subway. You walk in there, look around and you know "this is a mass grave". In many games,you would now get a radio transmission or have some NPC with you saying "omg this is a mass grave!". But so far, the Division hasn't been doing that. I think it might be cause it's in a real world setting and you don't really need stuff spelled out to you,but I like to think it's cause Massive believes their players don't need to be babied all the time.

Klyka

Banned
btw, yesterday I was wondering what the number below the ammo numbers is, does anyone know?

the number below the ammo numbers?

my one concern with the division is summed up in this tread. I hope they do something to prevent it before the release

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Division/comments/46n981/is_there_going_to_be_a_fix_for_getting_rouge/

A lot of this stuff happens because we have 24 players all stuck in the small area right now.
In the full game all players will be sprea dout across the entire DZ so you won't constantly have people run around.
The devs actually want human encounters to be rare instead of people high fiving each other in the streets constantly.

Loving every second of this game, played a fuck load of the closed beta then like 5 hours last night. Although can't help but think it'll get pretty repetitive soon.

Obviously we're playing a beta and there will be a tonne more content for the full game but the same formula of just killing npcs in missions and extracting loot in the dark zone will remain. Really hope Massive manages to keep it fresh and interesting past what's in the beta.

Psymatiq

Neo Member
What do you propose they do?

No idea but i can see this making people pissed enough to drop the game.

You can troll and grief way to easy atm. If i see someone shooting an NPC i can run infront of them and quickly pop a health pack then kill them and get a DZ level boost. In its current state PVP is flawed.

No idea but i can see this making people pissed enough to drop the game.

You can troll and grief way to easy atm. If i see someone shooting an NPC i can run infront of them and quickly pop a health pack then kill them and get a DZ level boost. In its current state PVP is flawed.

How often is that really going to happen, though, with 24 people across the ENTIRE DZ map? We're being shoved into what is roughly 1/5 of the entire DZ map.

Kane1345

I was quite surprised by the length of the subway morgue mission btw.
Also,I hope you guys took your time a bit and actually looked at the environment down there. Again,some great visual story telling.

Agree. Really liked the
mechanic where someone has to carry the fuse/breaker and can only hold a pistol whilst the others defend.
Plus all the morbid sights down there made the atmosphere heavy

Klyka

Banned
I was surprised by the "carrying mechanic" in the subway morgue btw.
First time we've seen an actual mechanic that might be used in other content as well.

Sober

Played through everything, I'm sure there'll be more. Though I'm kinda wait and see mostly because I want to know if my friends have bought it yet or not. They were in the closed beta, so maybe. Dark Zone shenanigans sounds fun with friends but I've yet to try it.

I'm curious if there will be a good PVE-ish endgame component since the way the skill trees work there is sort of a trinity-like structure there as well.

Plsyed this solo for about 40 minutes and was I left less than impressed. The movement and shooting feels so clunky, restricted and stiff. On the positive I think world they have designed looks amazing and is very detailed.

I'm not giving up on it yet though. I'll play again tomorrow with some friends including some Dark Zone action, but right now this definitely isn't a day one buy.
At least on PC but have you checked the controls options in the menu? Not just sensitivity stuff but different options on how you move along and in and out of cover and stuff that you might be able to change? Quite a few options, more than I usually expect.

Roufianos

I liked what I played but I'm so damn burned out on loot, open worlds and skill trees. I might have to wait a while before I get this.

Tarnpanzer

What do we know about the endgame-content?

Something like the strikes in Destiny at least? Like doing long and hard missions in a group of 4 players to get the best loot?

Psymatiq

Neo Member
How often is that really going to happen, though, with 24 people across the ENTIRE DZ map? We're being shoved into what is roughly 1/5 of the entire DZ map.

The extraction zones are heavy on this. Sometimes 5 people waiting for the chopper then some NPCs attacks the zone and one guy hits another dude by accident and hell breaks loose. I once was in the subway area under the extraction zone and some rogue dude ran byt scream "DONT KILL ME IT WAS AN ACCIDENT" he had like 8 people after him

Klyka

Banned
What do we know about the endgame-content?

Something like the strikes in Destiny at least? Like doing long and hard missions in a group of 4 players to get the best loot?

Basically every story mission is a "strike/dungeon".
You can replay them all on hard mode,which levels the enemies up to your level.
That IGN mission for example was apparently a lvl 9 normal mission but they played it on hard mode with lvl 25 characters so it gave them lvl 25 elite enemies and such.

Btw, has anyone been using the suppression mechanic?
I went into a matchmade hard mode Madison Square Garden last night and had a 130 round LMG on me.
So I kept suppressing the enemies and I could take 3-4 of them almost entirely out of the fight but just suppressing them constantly, which greatly reduced the damage on my group and allowed my three buddies to flank/DPS.
I was quite amazed by it,actually.

Playing the beta has reaffirmed my initial opinion for this game. The visuals on ps4 are quite poor and that sentiment is echoed by many of the people I spoke with about the game. After all the hype, it turned out to be pretty poor. While that in itself is not enough to sour my opinion on the game, the gameplay put the final nail in the coffin. It's definitely one of the most boring games I've ever played. It's also not meant to be played by yourself. I played it by myself and with friends as well and it was just a poor experience. There are a few bugs but it's quite functional. Unfortunately, it's not really enjoyable. The shooting is not satisfying at all and playing it feels wrong. We have been conditioned through various media to expect certain outcomes when certain actions happen. Example, shogun shot to the head means death. The division breaks these boundaries and as a result, it leads to an experience that is not enjoyable.

The rpg elements in the beta are just poor and feel extremely shallow. This game reeks of generic tps syndrome. It's not surprising yet its still disappointing nonetheless.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm so keen to hear what they have in store for PvE and PvP end game. I'd love to see raids for both sections of the game.

Playing the beta has reaffirmed my initial opinion for this game. The visuals on ps4 are quite poor and that sentiment is echoed by many of the people I spoke with about the game. After all the hype, it turned out to be pretty poor. While that in itself is not enough to sour my opinion on the game, the gameplay put the final nail in the coffin. It's definitely one of the most boring games I've ever played. It's also not meant to be played by yourself. I played it by myself and with friends as well and it was just a poor experience. There are a few bugs but it's quite functional. Unfortunately, it's not really enjoyable. The shooting is not satisfying at all and playing it feels wrong. We have been conditioned through various media to expect certain outcomes when certain actions happen. Example, shogun shot to the head means death. The division breaks these boundaries and as a result, it leads to an experience that is not enjoyable.

The rpg elements in the beta are just poor and feel extremely shallow. This game reeks of generic tps syndrome. It's not surprising yet its still disappointing nonetheless.

Fair enough opinion, its a shame the game hasn't clicked for you but I do hope you find what you are looking for in another TPS game :)

bati

Quick question for the PC players - my friend who I grouped with told me that my mic chatter had static attached - seems to be a game feature because it was activating even when I accidentally turned my mic off and pressed my push to talk key. His voice however was coming through without any static. I looked through settings to find something relating to this but I couldn't find anything.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm using PTT and he's using voice activation. Anyone experienced the same? Fwiw, my mic has no static if we use TS/vent.

The extraction zones are heavy on this. Sometimes 5 people waiting for the chopper then some NPCs attacks the zone and one guy hits another dude by accident and hell breaks loose. I once was in the subway area under the extraction zone and some rogue dude ran byt scream "DONT KILL ME IT WAS AN ACCIDENT" he had like 8 people after him

Yeah, it's definitely tight at the e-zones, and that scenario does happen. It's that with only 2 e-zones available of what will, probably, be roughly 8-10 other E-zones, I don't think congestion will be that bad

I think once people branch out to different zones they won't have the incentive to heckle lower players over their lower exp money or loot, there will definitely be massive firefights in the higher darkzones though and the tension will be nuts no doubt.

There seems to be almost an rpg trinity with the three ability trees etc, and mods/crafting will add lots of variety, I just hope there's more to it all in the long run, like random scaling events and encounters, things that make it fun and worthwhile to explore and backtrack, I like it so far, but we have no idea about the scale or what happens at level cap. I hope endgame keeps things fun, randomly generated and varied, not just rinse and repeat on harder difficulties sorta thing.

I'm dying for full game impressions, but the loot even in beta has got me like diablo 3 (still play always lol) so it's got that going for it.

Nerix

my one concern with the division is summed up in this tread. I hope they do something to prevent it before the release

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Division/comments/46n981/is_there_going_to_be_a_fix_for_getting_rouge/
I think they changed it already compared to the closed beta. In the closed beta, one or very few shots were enough to get the rogue status.

When playing DZ yesterday, I had the impression it needs more shots on a friendly agent to get the rogue status. It happened to me several times, that I thought 'oh shit, I hit that guy', but I didn´t get a rogue

Psymatiq

Neo Member
I think they changed it already compared to the closed beta. In the closed beta, one or very few shots were enough to get the rogue status.

When playing DZ yesterday, I had the impression it needs more shots on a friendly agent to get the rogue status.

I think its health % based cause i tried it out(and griefed in the process) and a guy hit me for one health bubble and he went rogue. So it might be more shots if your armor is good but otherwise its just grief paradise.

deoee

the number below the ammo numbers?

A lot of this stuff happens because we have 24 players all stuck in the small area right now.
In the full game all players will be sprea dout across the entire DZ so you won't constantly have people run around.
The devs actually want human encounters to be rare instead of people high fiving each other in the streets constantly.

I still think 24 will be too little ;/

bjaelke

Quick question for the PC players - my friend who I grouped with told me that my mic chatter had static attached - seems to be a game feature because it was activating even when I accidentally turned my mic off and pressed my push to talk key. His voice however was coming through without any static. I looked through settings to find something relating to this but I couldn't find anything.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm using PTT and he's using voice activation. Anyone experienced the same? Fwiw, my mic has no static if we use TS/vent.

I teamed up with some guys last night who also had a static sound in the background whenever they talked.

Klyka

Banned
I think once people branch out to different zones they won't have the incentive to heckle lower players over their lower exp money or loot, there will definitely be massive firefights in the higher darkzones though and the tension will be nuts no doubt.

High level players can't actually see players that are too low level.
If say a lvl 20 walks into the lvl 10-14 bracket, he will see the NPCs of that level,but no players. he will instead get matched with other same level players in that area.

their matchmaking is preeeetty seamless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom