• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

Plsyed this solo for about 40 minutes and was I left less than impressed. The movement and shooting feels so clunky, restricted and stiff. On the positive I think world they have designed looks amazing and is very detailed.

I'm not giving up on it yet though. I'll play again tomorrow with some friends including some Dark Zone action, but right now this definitely isn't a day one buy.

I get the feeling this might be a "fun when played in CO-OP game", which would make it like every CO-OP game that has ever existed.

Nothing about the mechanics appeals to me. It's clunky, shooting people feels clunky, moving around feels clunky. Things like melee attacks feel so off. The mission design is uninspiring so far. I will say though that, of the little time I've played it so far, the cover system felt responsive.

Apart from attack dogs, pass on fighting animals really. The thing is, I don't want creative enemies, I want plausible enemies, because to me the whole setting is a huge part of why I enjoy this game so much.

"Some factions have stolen animals from the Central York Zoo" wouldn't be enough?

OrangeOak

I don't want zombies in main game either but I would like to see some crazy DLC with them. Something like I Am Legend but darker with some nice little story.

Angel_DvA

Apart from attack dogs, pass on fighting animals really. The thing is, I don't want creative enemies, I want plausible enemies, because to me the whole setting is a huge part of why I enjoy this game so much.

Pretty much... we don't need Zombies, Aliens, savage animals, dinosaurs etc... dogs are fine though.

Nokterian

Exactly that's why to me it feels more fresh than other shooters or rpg's on the market.

There's something really bothering me about the base/command centre...

It's just covered in rubbish, loose paper, shit piled everywhere.
I work in a hospital, and I've spent some time around army bases... that shit just doesn't fly.
There are soldiers standing around in my HQ, and no sergeants bitching at them about having time to lean but not time to clean.

That's the thing that most stretches credibility...

IvanJ

Banned
I really hope they stick with it just being humans as enemies and don't add monsters or any kind of other ridiculous stuff. That'd really turn me off from the whole experience.
Same here. There are already plenty of zombie games around, and I wouldn't want to just have a TPS Dying Light, no matter how much I love that game.

deoee

Hi, how is everyone doing with the maintnance going on?
AU7Amsc.gif

J-Rzez

I can understand people not finding guns satisfying in regards to the feel of "oomph" and the sound is lack luster. But the conditioned response that headshots should be OSK is something that needs to be tempered because this is a RPGFPS. If you can't get beyond this aspect, it'll never be for you. It just can't happen in a game like this, and yes enemies will be bullet sponges. You can't expect epic fights if you're fighting up to the main boss then you just shotgun them and insta-gib them. Just doesn't work here.

Vintage

I work in a hospital, and I've spent some time around army bases... that shit just doesn't fly.
There are soldiers standing around in my HQ, and no sergeants bitching at them about having time to lean but not time to clean.

With each wing upgrade the base cleans up and gets new equipment, it's intentional to give a sense of progress.

And this game doesn't really go along with realism :)

bjaelke

The waste does disappear when you upgrade your base.

This game is GREAT. Super hyped for launch now, really fresh and fun to play! Looks good too, if the little things like pop in are reduced for launch i'll be really up for this. Love how it feels difficult due to the recoil but also very simple and playable.

Really impressed with the whole package, can't wait to get my hands on the full one. Have only played with friends too, not even on to PvP yet.

AngerdX

It´s an end of days scenario, this outbreak isn´t contained to NY, the US goverment has failed, the plot is supposed to be a worldwide conspiracy kind of thing, and you are part of the last stand, you basicly have carte blanche from president to do whatever needs to be done to restore sociaty and not have it completly fail, anyone expecting this to be anything but a clancy story will be dissapointed.

bjaelke

Open Beta - Daily Brief #3
Hello agents,

We are immensely excited to have everyone active on the beta. Yesterday was amazing, and we had a blast reading through all your comments. We’re learning a lot! Make sure you keep them coming and continue to have fun!

Following the heated battles yesterday, you have now experienced the dangers of the Cleaners firsthand. Understanding the clear threat the Cleaners pose, you took down 275 million Cleaners without hesitation. As a reward, every agent has received a fire kit that is filled with 3x Incendiary Bullet, 3x Explosive bullet, 3x Frag grenades to assist you with your future encounters. Your effort has resulted in safer environments for the civilians and your fellow agents. There was one agent who took it upon themselves and had a personal vendetta against the Cleaners. sK Hazardz killed 336 Cleaners and will receive a unique reward for the extraordinary effort. It’s risky business getting in the face of a Cleaner; however, some agents love the thrill – or they just like to play with fire. Hype x Sanity managed to take out 72 of Cleaners using only a shotgun!

Mockerre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUWNBPVRjTw&list=PLyo1KLLn8E0-z8LrUBODYZ1nV5-5D4tqa

Give it 10 minutes of your life. It shows how factions came to be. (some of them)

Ok. I did. The origins of the Rikers are ok, but the question of sustainability remains. It's really unrealistic that the US Army just doesn't step in. Also, there's 9 000 officers tending to them (wikipedia), I think a riot of this size would be unlikely (I can give this one a pass on the account of the virus). Also, there's about 10 000 prisoners in Rikers, not all of which are murderous psychopaths, not all of which are trained in using weapons and not all of which would really like to organize or go on a rampage. Saying otherwise is simplistic and not realistic at all.

I know this is 'nitpicking', I don't mind any of this at all per se. But it's 'grounded' only in as such as it has no outright fantasy/sf elements, not in a sense that 'this actually depicts the way this type of situation would go down'. If you ignore the fantastical elements of, say, Destiny, it's set-up (aliens preying on the carcass of human civilization) is more plausible than a few thousands of poorly trained convicts wanting to take over NC and being more than a match for the US Army.

Booki

Anyone else kill every rat they see? I've kinda stepped up my rat hunting to sniping the ones that run in 3's. There should be bounties or something for killing rats.

Klyka

Banned

as you upgrade it, it becomes cleaner and cleaner and better equipped.
the people in there right now are constantly being attacked, are out of supplies and hope.
ain't no one got time to clean.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Ok. I did. The origins of the Rikers are ok, but the question of sustainability remains. It's really unrealistic that the US Army just doesn't step in. Also, there's 9 000 officers tending to them (wikipedia), I think a riot of this size would be unlikely (I can give this one a pass on the account of the virus). Also, there's about 10 000 prisoners in Rikers, not all of which are murderous psychopaths, not all of which are trained in using weapons and not all of which would really like to organize or go on a rampage. Saying otherwise is simplistic and not realistic at all.

I know this is 'nitpicking', I don't mind any of this at all per se. But it's 'grounded' only in as such as it has no outright fantasy/sf elements, not in a sense that 'this actually depicts the way this type of situation would go down'. If you ignore the fantastical elements of, say, Destiny, it's set-up (aliens preying on the carcass of human civilization) is more plausible than a few thousands of poorly trained convicts wanting to take over NC and being more than a match for the US Army.
Well considering the outbreak a lot of people probably left their post to take care of their families

Klyka

Banned
I'm pretty sure we are gonna get a lot of backstory about why the US army doesn't just roll in.

The game has a ton of intel and such to collect

I'm surprised the servers did not seriously fuck up btw.

image.php

When the servers distribute the load juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right

Mockerre

Well considering the outbreak a lot of people probably left their post to take care of their families

That's the one thing I said I could understand with the outbreak at all. The rest still stands ;)

Anyway, I'm just starved for variety in combat scenarios I guess.

EDIT:
Also, I'm seeing a lot of M.A.S.K. secret watches and hearing something about a worldwide conspiracy. Not really grounded, is it? ;)

So last night me and the fellas are running for our lives. We were constantly being hunt down by a manhunt wave. I'm trying to understand how this happened. There were 3 guys in manhunt status rolling together and along side them were about 5-6 rouge agents helping them gun us down. They rolled like a pack of savages. I liked the tension but don't get how or why they were able to team up on us like that. Was I looking at two teams of 4 friends that just happened to land in the same instance?

deoee

I'm pretty sure we are gonna get a lot of backstory about why the US army doesn't just roll in.

The game has a ton of intel and such to collect

image.php

When the servers distribute the load juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right

Yeah, there is great potential for awesome stories both in missions and environment.

Klyka

Banned
So last night me and the fellas are running for our lives. We were constantly being hunt down by a manhunt wave. I'm trying to understand how this happened. There were 3 guys in manhunt status rolling together and along side them were about 5-6 rouge agents helping them gun us down. They rolled like a pack of savages. I liked the tension but don't get how or why they were able to team up on us like that. Was I looking at two teams of 4 friends that just happened to land in the same instance?

you can easily pull people into the same instance by having them join your group and leave , then invite someone else, etc...

sometimes it will rip groups apart though.

they might have also just partnered up with a group they met.

you can easily pull people into the same instance by having them join your group and leave , then invite someone else, etc...

sometimes it will rip groups apart though.

they might have also just partnered up with a group they met.

I.....didn't know >>>>>:)))))
BWAAAHAHAHAHA

Like what I've played overall, but it's not day one for me. Dark Zone is definitely fun and I had some good tense moments but I was also in a session where four guys were rogue almost the entire time and couldn't be stopped. I'm fine with losing gear I haven't extracted but they were camping outside of spawns and I lost almost half a DZ level before I just left. The ideas behind DZ are very interesting but certainly leave the door open for some serious griefing if you get with a group of assholes. Also ran into a hacker on pc. That was extremely frustrating.

I'll been on the sidelines to see if reviews indicate this has the Destiny problem. I did the story missions, and those were fine but there will need to be a lot of variety to keep those interesting. And if the entire long tail of the game is just running around the DZ shooting random mobs waiting for the right dice roll of better loot, this may suffer these fate as destiny.

I am super eager to see what reviews look like and hear impressions of the full game's worth of content. Glad to see folks are overall positive and having a good time with it.

E: also wanted to add that the shooting/movement is okay, but I feel like MGSV has really moved the bar for me as far as third person shooting expectations. It's so tight and movement is so fluid. This isn't quite to that level

IvorB

Boss★Moogle;195978707 said:
I just started but man this game is ugly. I feel like I'm playing a 360 game. I never though Destiny was much of a looker either but man it looks way better than this.

Is this game running 720p with no AA, cause that' what it looks like. Even the text in the UI is full of jaggies. And even with that the models and textures look awful.

I don't mean to be a downer but I'm just really shocked. I haven't really followed this game since the reveal trailer that looked amazing, but apparently the downgrade is significant.

Are you on console? Did you try disabling CA and bumping sharpness to max? I had the same reaction as you when I first started the game up but making those changes really helped.

ksdixon

How do the DZ servers work then?

Had a guy in our party who was DZ Player Lobby 08, and couldn't play with the rest of us in DZ Player Lobby 01-07.

I wonder how many high end weapons are there. This game does not come with a strategy guide? I would buy it for more information on weapon architects. And I wonder if high end weapons can only be bought from dark zone vendors. I just want a great sniper with a silencer on it. From ign level 25 gameplay it seeks like having a sniper/marksman rifle will be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom