• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they changed it already compared to the closed beta. In the closed beta, one or very few shots were enough to get the rogue status.

When playing DZ yesterday, I had the impression it needs more shots on a friendly agent to get the rogue status. It happened to me several times, that I thought 'oh shit, I hit that guy', but I didn´t get a rogue

Silencers affect the amount of bullets.

High level players can't actually see players that are too low level.
If say a lvl 20 walks into the lvl 10-14 bracket, he will see the NPCs of that level,but no players. he will instead get matched with other same level players in that area.

their matchmaking is preeeetty seamless.

Damn that's true. Hrm I don't know it's a tough choice between a few shots to trigger rogue or maybe it should be a kill that triggers but then people could troll others and get them killed by npcs, pretty tricky situation for the devs to allow on demand pvp and hope it doesn't get abused

Kane1345

Btw, has anyone been using the suppression mechanic?
I went into a matchmade hard mode Madison Square Garden last night and had a 130 round LMG on me.
So I kept suppressing the enemies and I could take 3-4 of them almost entirely out of the fight but just suppressing them constantly, which greatly reduced the damage on my group and allowed my three buddies to flank/DPS.
I was quite amazed by it,actually.

Yup, I really love it. Really adds strategy to the fight

Lord Phol

Feels like DZ is way harder than before, makes it nigh impossible for a solo player to go up against some of the enemies, and staying alive in general.

Had a great amount of fun yesterday.
Slow, methodical play with my buddy. Exploring everything. Enjoying the scenery.
This game really has me hooked.
Also, PC's 60fps vs. PS4's 30fps is night and day in this game. Game changer for me.
Ran really well with high-ish to ultra settings on my i5-4670K & GTX 970.
Overall really satisfied and I'm looking forward to the full game.

Any plans for an active DiGAF PC community?

Klyka

Banned
I still don't get one thing:

Why does the cover-to-cover run feel so damn satisfying to do?
It's not like I am really DOING anything,I am literally just holding down the Spacebar.
Yet everytime I run from cover to cover quickly aiming at the next one and my guy then crouch runs and slides in there,it just feels so damn good.

It's not like I am really DOING anything,I am literally just holding down the Spacebar.
Yet everytime I run from cover to cover quickly aiming at the next one and my guy then crouch runs and slides in there,it just feels so damn good.

Nothing beats Gears of War movement and "cover feel", IMHO, but this game is pretty good at it. ;)

deoee

Maybe they'll up it to thirty or so? But I do believe it's a good number.
That's 6 full squads of people in a dark zone split into 6 parts. With NPCs everywhere.

Buz still - the DZ will be 3 x the size of our current DZ. Not to say there will be x layers of underground and roofs. It will be very hard to find players I think.

Cob32

I think the single player stuff is going to get stale for me quickly in the full release.

Dark zone is incredible though but needs more missions and events.

Klyka

Banned
Buz still - the DZ will be 3 x the size of our current DZ. Not to say there will be x layers of underground and roofs. It will be very hard to find players I think.

Extraction zones son. They'll show up when people use them.

I feel the actual idea of the DZ "loop" is:

You go in. You fight NPCs. You loot chests. You get loot/rank/currency. You MIGHT meet another player during this,leading to co-op/PvP. then you go extract. this DRAMATICALLY increases the chance of meeting other players,leading to socializing/co-op/PvP.

Right now it's: There ar epeople around every corner and everyone shoots everyone forever.

Kane1345

I think the single player stuff is going to get stale for me quickly in the full release.

Dark zone is incredible though but needs more missions and events.

Well they said they will be providing events for the DZ post release. Of course what those events actually contain is anyone's guess.

Sober

Ubisoft's animators are really fucking good, that's probably another reason why as well. Like as much as I might dislike certain ubiquitous (pun maybe intended) aspects of Ubisoft games man I am a whore for their animation work so they pull me right back in with that. Doesn't hurt they've basically been refining a lot of those systems on previous games for the last console generation or two now.

Moozo

Ubisoft's animators are really fucking good, that's probably another reason why as well. Like as much as I might dislike certain ubiquitous (pun maybe intended) aspects of Ubisoft games man I am a whore for their animation work so they pull me right back in with that. Doesn't hurt they've basically been refining a lot of those systems on previous games for the last console generation or two now.
Guess none of those animators were ever working on Assassin's Creed

bjaelke

Right now it's: There ar epeople around every corner and everyone shoots everyone forever.
Part of that is also down to it being a beta - there are no real consequences to going rogue. Your progress doesn't carry over, so you might as well go all out now and test the limit/be a jerk.

Klyka

Banned
Guess none of those animators were ever working on Assassin's Creed

image.php

Part of that is also down to it being a beta - there are no real consequences to going rogue. Your progress doesn't carry over, so you might as well go all out now and test the limit/be a jerk.

Very true.

Tecnniqe

Banned

You go in. You fight NPCs. You loot chests. You get loot/rank/currency. You MIGHT meet another player during this,leading to co-op/PvP. then you go extract. this DRAMATICALLY increases the chance of meeting other players,leading to socializing/co-op/PvP.

Problem right now is OB have no consequence.

It's so good. So good.

ksdixon

So... The DarkZone.

We're going around as a group, getting loot and sending it up in helicopters successfully, going rouge for funsies.... but what else is there to do in here? It will get old pretty quickly.

Mockerre

Ok, guys. I've got a confession to make. Please tell me what's wrong with me ;)

Played the first beta, now this one and... The Division bores me to tears.

I mean, it's all there for it to be a great game - and I'm not trying to say it's a bad one - but, man, is it spectacularly generic or what?

The graphics and art direction are great, the shooting is decent. But I feel like by playing the beta I've seen it all. There are really no surprises in store: you'll just get same mundane looking weapons with higher numbers and shoot standard-fare bad guys with longer health bars.

And I know what you're going to say: it's the same with all games of this type. But it isn't. Let's take Destiny for example. Even though it's starved for content, it still has a lot more variety even in its opening hours: you got flying enemies, teleporting enemies, invisible enemies, shielding enemies and so on, lots of . The visuals really sell the differences too. Now, getting back to The Division, I feel like we'll be fighting the same-old shooting dudes and charging dudes ad nauseum.

And I'm not against near-future military shooters! I can play CoD campaigns just fine, I like Battlefield multiplayer. But I feel that a game needs something more substantial and more variety to sustain a quasi-MMO framework.

The realistic New York is rendered beautifully and faithfully, but as modern cities are, it's a bit samey.

And don't get me started on the weak virus plot (still better than Destiny though!).

What do you think, GAF? Does The Division have legs to support a stable player base over an extended period? Or maybe there's an AC-styled twist somewhere and we're playing in a post-Cloverfield disaster or something along those lines? (unfortunately I doubt that, as it's a Tom Clancy-branded title...) What's wrong with me? ;)

deoee

Yeah but our DZ now already has 3 extraction zones, if you apply this to the rest we would have 9 zones. 9 zones for 6 full squads means everyone has his own b;/

Bethell

I mean, it's all there for it to be a great game - and I'm not trying to say it's a bad one - but, man, is it spectacularly generic or what?

The graphics and art direction are great, the shooting is decent. But I feel like by playing the beta I've seen it all. There are really no surprises in store: you'll just get same mundane looking weapons with higher numbers and shoot standard-fare bad guys with longer health bars.

And I know what you're going to say: it's the same with all games of this type. But it isn't. Let's take Destiny for example. Even though it's starved for content, it still has a lot more variety even in its opening hours: you got flying enemies, teleporting enemies, invisible enemies, shielding enemies and so on, lots of . The visuals really sell the differences too. Now, getting back to The Division, I feel like we'll be fighting the same-old shooting dudes and charging dudes ad nauseum.

And I'm not against near-future military shooters! I can play CoD campaigns just fine, I like Battlefield multiplayer. But I feel that a game needs something more substantial and more variety to sustain a quasi-MMO framework.

The realistic New York is rendered beautifully and faithfully, but as modern cities are, it's a bit samey.

And don't get me started on the weak virus plot (still better than Destiny though!).

What do you think, GAF? Does The Division have legs to support a stable player base over an extended period? Or maybe there's an AC-styled twist somewhere and we're playing in a post-Cloverfield disaster or something along those lines? (unfortunately I doubt that, as it's a Tom Clancy-branded title...) What's wrong with me? ;)

Alot of people agree. Its tedious and boring.

There will be monsters and infected humans like 28 days later
I hope

I don't doubt it'll have a decent player base as people love these kinds of games and Destiny is a fucking fuck and is still going.

There's nothing wrong with you. This game is incredibly generic but well made like most Ubisoft games minus the bugs.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah but our DZ now already has 3 extraction zones, if you apply this to the rest we would have 9 zones. 9 zones for 6 full squads means everyone has his own b;/

yes, but are you gonna run all the way from DZ04 in the north to DZ01 in the south to extract?
and if you do, during that trip you will again have chances to encounter players who have the same idea.

Kaversmed

I hope

I don't doubt it'll have a decent player base as people love these kinds of games and Destiny is a fucking fuck and is still going.

There's nothing wrong with you. This game is incredibly generic but well made like most Ubisoft games minus the bugs.

Man, would love it if the virus turned people into "I Am Legend" kinda zombies.. Would certainly make for some enemy variety

Mockerre

Alot of people agree. Its tedious and boring.

;( But there's so much that could've been done with this. A Cloverfield cleanup in a kaijiu world. A cthulhu mythos conspiracy or an X-files one. A parallel-world a'la Fringe. A new future setting with drones and mechs (WWIII/alternate history were Europe/Russia/China/Japan went bad and started conquering everything). An alien invasion story (yeah I *know*, but still... maybe alien terraformation project?). A superhero/super villain crisis, like Escape Megalopolis (an event caused superheroes to go insane and now the cut off city is their playground).

Each of these gives you so much more to work with in terms of distinct visuals, interesting story and, most important of all, varied gameplay. And I thought of those on the fly, just writing this post.

Just please, no zombies.

I hope

I really hope you're right. Monsters would invigorate the gameplay. I was watching the 'enemy factions trailer' and thought. Those are just guys with guns: untrained, trained and special forces, but still just same guys with same guns.

Name of the virus is Smallpox Variola Chimera.

It's on a sign in the new mission with all the dead bodies.

Oh, this is interesing. I hope the virus does what it says on the box...

Although...
http://legacy.jyi.org/volumes/volume6/issue3/features/bourzac.html

I don't think so :(

Klyka

Banned

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, people like or don't like games.
I for example think Hearthstone is the dumbest shit ever, but that's just my opinion

Kabouter

I really hope they stick with it just being humans as enemies and don't add monsters or any kind of other ridiculous stuff. That'd really turn me off from the whole experience.

Nokterian

I really hope they stick with it just being humans as enemies and don't add monsters or any kind of other ridiculous stuff. That'd really turn me off from the whole experience.

Yeah i really like how well human and grounded the game feels it has some future technology in it but not what you see in the likes of call of duty for example. To me it feels fresh and different.

pitchfork

I can't see 'em adding any sci-fi to the story myself, not with the 'Tom Clancy' name attached

Edit - beaten

Tecnniqe

Banned

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/overview/disease-facts.asp

Where Smallpox Comes From
Smallpox is caused by the variola virus that emerged in human populations thousands of years ago. Except for laboratory stockpiles, the variola virus has been eliminated.
However, in the aftermath of the events of September and October, 2001, there is heightened concern that the variola virus might be used as an agent of bioterrorism. For this reason, the U.S. government is taking precautions for dealing with a smallpox outbreak.

Currently, the smallpox vaccine is not available to the general public. However, there is enough smallpox vaccine stockpiled to vaccinate every person in the United States in the event of a smallpox emergency.

Its grounded alright.

AngerdX

Same here, i´m glad to get something a bit more grounded in reality, and for me they seem to have a good story going, just doing some of the side missions and realising how they somewhat tie into the overall plot, by helping you understand what went down, collecting evidence and following clues was fun for me atleast.

It´s not for everyone but damn did they strike a cord with me.

Mockerre

Yeah i really like how well human and grounded the game feels it has some future technology in it but not what you see in the likes of call of duty for example. To me it feels fresh and different.

But don't you think that at the same time it's not realistic at all? I mean, who are those unnamed legions of looters, prisoners and freaky contamination squad guys? Where do they come from? Where do they get their guns from? How can they survive in NC? Why hasn't the US army just squashed them as the insignificant bugs they are?

For me this is an interesting dissonance dichotomy. On one hand you've got a game like The Division with its grounded setting and story that just flat-out fails to justify its contrived circumstances. It's realistic in everything but the situation (which is the heart of the game). On the other you get something like Destiny: a made up space fairy tale about aliens and demonic forces which is unrealistic with its setting and story, but which is perfectly logical in the circumstances the player is put into (aliens have their homeworlds/infrastructure to support a prolonged war effort and so on). The world is fantastical, but in its context the situation is realistic.

This is fascinating stuff.

Tecnniqe

Banned
But don't you think that at the same time it's not realistic at all? I mean, who are those unnamed legions of looters, prisoners and freaky contamination squad guys? Where do they come from? Where do they get their guns from? How can they survive in NC? Why hasn't the US army just squashed them as the insignificant bugs they are?

For me this is an interesting dissonance dichotomy. On one hand you've got a game like The Division with its grounded setting and story that just flat-out fails to justify its contrived circumstances. It's realistic in everything but the situation (which is the heart of the game). On the other you get something like Destiny: a made up space fairy tale about aliens and demonic forces which is unrealistic with its setting and story, but which is perfectly logical in the circumstances the player is put into (aliens have their homeworlds/infrastructure to support a prolonged war effort and so on). The world is fantastical, but in its context the situation is realistic.

This is fascinating stuff.

Watch the Agent Origins videos.

Steam:
steam://run/444560

Calabi

Could there not be room for Tigers, or Ligers or even an occasional angry house cat.

All the enemies in games are mostly humanoid, either zombies or men with guns. I mean most RPG developers understand the repetitive nature of the gameplay and try to mix it up with creative enemies. I cant see how this would engage people for very long with just humans for enemies.

Kabouter

Could there not be room for Tigers, or Ligers or even an occasional angry house cat.

All the enemies in games are mostly humanoid, either zombies or men with guns. I mean most RPG developers understand the repetitive nature of the gameplay and try to mix it up with creative enemies. I cant see how this would engage people for very long with just humans for enemies.

Apart from attack dogs, pass on fighting animals really. The thing is, I don't want creative enemies, I want plausible enemies, because to me the whole setting is a huge part of why I enjoy this game so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom