• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seijuro

Quick question: how do I become host/party leader? I only ever see the option for matchmaking into existing games.
Edit: PS4 version

deoee

Turn on HUD auto hide for better screenshot taking ;)

Oh didn't know there is something like that!

Thx champ
image.php

cgcg

This game feels awful. Crappy sluggish control. The game feels clunkier than the usual 30fps for some reason. The bullet impact felt so weak. Graphically middling too. The opening scene probably did more damage due to bad first impression. The animations are so janky.

This game feels awful. Crappy sluggish control. The game feels clunkier than the usual 30fps for some reason. The bullet impact felt so weak. Graphically middling too. The opening scene probably did more damage due to bad first impression. The animations are so janky.

A lot of people are complaining, it's because of the huge amount of input lag

Tovarisc

Is Nuuvem a decent site to buy from for uplay games? This will be the first AAA game i've bought in a while.

Gives GamesPlanet a look, partnered officially with Ubi as their "official retailer" and prices for Division are good;
Normal: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/tom-clancy-s-the-division-uplay-key--2631-1
Gold: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/tom-clancy-s-the-division-gold-edition-uplay-key--2631-2

How do the DZ servers work then?

Had a guy in our party who was DZ Player Lobby 08, and couldn't play with the rest of us in DZ Player Lobby 01-07.

There is two different matchmaking brackets currently. One for levels 1-7 and one for 8-8, you can't be outside of your bracket. Not even when in group.

Edit:
The city wouldn't have thousands of people running around with guns.

I find quite plausible that in event like this in American city like NYC there would be thousands of people with guns running around. There most likely already is when combining legal guns with illegal ones.

Some of you guys must have like XboxTwo or PS5 if the Division is "graphically middling" XD

Seriously lol. I thought the game looks pretty amazing on my ps4 and I come here to read impressions and the graphics are one of the things getting criticised? Really did not expect that.

cgcg

Well for one all the buildings are polygon starved and looked flat. The ones from gtv5 looked better and more convincing and that's a cross gen title. Heck if I remember right gtv has better character models too.

Tovarisc

On PC you can use parkour mode to desync yourself from rest of the players and run around as invisible, still able to kill enemies etc. Not much trying involved, just have it enabled, run around and desync will happen sooner than later.

Well for one all the buildings are polygon starved and looked flat. The ones from gtv5 looked better and more convincing and that's a cross gen title. Heck if I remember right gtv has better character models too.

I was just playing GTA5 on my ps4 a few days ago and I cant agree with you at all.

IvorB

Okay, played a lot of this again yesterday and genuine question here: does anyone truly know what the hell is going on with the damage info for weapons? There is this 'DPS' number which doesn't seem to have any relation to the damage number or RPM. Is the damage number the amount of damage it does per round? What does it all mean?

Crackbone

Okay, played a lot of this again yesterday and genuine question here: does anyone truly know what the hell is going on with the damage info for weapons? There is this 'DPS' number which doesn't seem to have any relation to the damage number or RPM. Is the damage number the amount of damage it does per round? What does it all mean?

The DPS number takes into account your Firearms number (which adds to damage for all firearms), the inherent DPS of the weapon, and the Rounds Per Minute.

DPS is the assumption that all rounds hit the target and the number of rounds per second fired with the addition of your firearms bonus and I believe any other bonuses the weapon may have itself.

It says nothing to the accuracy of the weapon, nor to the skill of the one wielding it. It's a good baseline indicator of how much power a weapon has but it certainly isn't the end all be all to how good the weapon is.

Of course any enemy bonuses such as armor (which directly mitigates a percentage of the weapon damage), etc isn't taken into account.

Played for a couple of hours last night-- teamed up with some rando and we just went through a couple of missions and did some of the encounters. Neither of us used voice chat. I had my mic on mute because my daughter was sleeping. I've got no idea what the Randy's excuse was. Do folks use voice or is this like Destiny with nobody talking?

I don't really understand how the matchmaking works. It felt junky to me. First, figuring out how to get into a matchmade game was frustrating-- the text on screen and button symbol on my TV is small enough to be less than fully legible; when I finally got into the matchmade mission, the game said two other players were in but they were nowhere near me and when I started the mission I got dropped out. After I finally got into the group with the rando, we just ran a two man crew and it worked fine.

That said, it was fun enough that I went ahead and pre-ordered it and am looking forward to playing. I hope I'll get at least a couple more hours in the beta-- I haven't even looked in the DZ yet-- but my wife has got a lot of activities planned so I don't know.

MrBlonde

i feel like the dz is gonna be so unfair for people that cant play a lot like some people do
Yep I am also worried about this. Full time job, gym, single dad so I game for an hour or two at night tops, some on the weekends with kids and play multiple games at a time. Hopefully the dark zone is still fun for me

bounchfx

Based on my experience last night, if people aren't using voice it's going to change the game a ton, especially in dark zone. On PC thankfully I think more people will be using it but I'm not sure about PS 4. Without voice chat, especially proximity, I'm not even sure the game would be nearly as interesting. It's those crazy tense moments talking to strangers that the game felt it's best.

I did enioy dark zone though I did it at level 7, I hope it doesn't become an unbalanced mess like destiny did but I'm not sure how confident I am in that.

Edit: I gotta say, my one real complaint so far is that less than an hour into the beta and all the enemies are already bullet sponges. What gives!? These dudes are running around in hoodies but take 200 shots to kill? It's really dumb, was hoping they would handle difficulty in another way but oh well.

IvorB

The DPS number takes into account your Firearms number (which adds to damage for all firearms), the inherent DPS of the weapon, and the Rounds Per Minute.

DPS is the assumption that all rounds hit the target and the number of rounds per second fired with the addition of your firearms bonus and I believe any other bonuses the weapon may have itself.

What does the damage number relate to? If the damage is damage per round then (damage x RPM)/60 = DPS (excluding firearms modifier) I think. This doesn't seem to add up from what I have seen.

One issue that I've encountered is I got flashed by a grenade and the effect never went away in the DZ. I would leave it and go into a checkpoint and the effect would go away. But, when I entered back into the DZ the effect filled my screen again. Had to log out completely.

spannicus

Hoping people release some good reshade presets for the game that mimic the night time look of the original reveal or the shots from the snowdrop engine demo. The game also used to have some sort of stun/ take down. Yesterday i got the drop on one of the enemies and wished i could have taken him down without shooting. The scenario was just right. Wish they would have kept it in.
Also wish i could punch people as well.

ironcreed

Banned
so this game is basically destiny in third person and in a more modern setting rather than futuristic?

Not really. Now that I have played it I am not getting the Destiny comparisons at all. It honestly feels like it's own animal.

Basically, it's an online RPG that just so happens to be a cover shooter set in New York after society has broken down due to an outbreak. All that mixed with an area that allows for your choice of co-op or being a dick in almost a Dark Souls sort of fashion and you can make that choice whenever without having to summon or be summoned to do so. There is really nothing else like it.

Just from watching some streams this weekend it's amazing how much the dark zone changes when you throw turrets into the combat, you can set traps, force people to go rogue, use them to tip the battle in your favor... really good uses.

ironcreed

Banned
Just from watching some streams this weekend it's amazing how much the dark zone changes when you throw turrets into the combat, you can set traps, force people to go rogue, use them to tip the battle in your favor... really good uses.

I have been using shield and sticky grenade, but I think I am going to change it up with a turret. I have been in too many situations where I am getting flanked and it will be a god send.

Klyka

Banned
What does the damage number relate to? If the damage is damage per round then (damage x RPM)/60 = DPS (excluding firearms modifier) I think. This doesn't seem to add up from what I have seen.

DPS or "damage per second" takes basically everything into account, including reload Speed and such.

DPS is best used to compare two weapons of exactly the same type.

Like,you can't look at an assault rifle with 3000 DPS and a shotgun with 2500 DPS and say "the assault rifle is better!" because the delivery of their damage is entirely different.

use DPS to compare between the same types and use everything else to compare what you want. SMGs for example have Bonus crit, LMGs have huge magazines, sniper rifles have huge DMG per bullet, etc...

BraXzy

I was in the DZ safe house last night and the radio was on and a guy was having a little rant/talking to himself about how those of us still alive were lucky enough to hit the lottery of immunity and woop-de-doo. So that explains why some people are just wandering around not really worried, some of us are just lucky and immune.

Wil348

After playing this and the closed beta....I am really not sure if I want to buy this, at least not at launch. I find the idea of the dark zone to be very interesting, especially with friends, but if this is all that the DZ has to offer fundamentally, I can see it getting stale rather quickly. What I've seen of the story from the beta seems somewhat generic, but the missions can be quite fun with friends on hard.

Overall, while it has good ideas, it feels a bit dull if I'm honest? I may wait, putting $60 down at launch on something I'm not sure about doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

SeanR1221

Hm, not enjoying it as much as the closed beta. I guess because it's exactly more of the same.

I'm completely unsure on this game at this point. I feel like it could get really boring really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom