• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanofcall

Man, nobody on PS4 talks. I've been playing for a couple hours now and I haven't heard a peep. Pretty lame.
Sing them a song, they might react to that!
Edit: (The real problem is that sometimes DZ is fucking with in game team chat. We didn't hear each other anymore after we joined and stood all next to each other. So we switched to PSN party... hope that will be fixed and they drop you a message telling you about the proximity chat first time you enter DZ. I didn't know about it either in the closed beta)

I guess Ubi decided to do a small team project.

raw

If Solo DZ is ruining you, it usually means (a) You need to level your gear more or (b) Run around in a team murdering everything that moves and acquire said gear.

This is just specific to the beta, but if someone is planning on going solo in the DZ, it's probably best to only level up to 7.

Raide

Watching the TGN Squadron video from the Open Beta and the DZ Extraction is crazy. Some group of 8+ roaming around. Its just turned into a Deathmatch mode now. :D

SJRB

Gold Member
This is just specific to the beta, but if someone is planning on going solo in the DZ, it's probably best to only level up to 7.

I just went in the DZ as a level 7 with only yellow-tier weapons and got completely rekt by four level 7 NPCs. I was dead before I even realised what the hell happened.

My gear is shit, but it also seems like the NPCs got a damage buff.

Bolivar687

Banned
Anything to do after all the missions other than the Dark Zone? All the areas seem low level and the PvP mechanics aren't exactly compelling, unless you're in a group I suppose.

Raide

On PC? cause i just killed a group of 7 alone lmao

Yeah I think they are playing PC but its not live. Think it may have been as the beta launched. Some of the servers were packed with people but its amazing how quickly it devolves into anarchy. :D

I am not sure if that presents a problem for the long-term life of the game or not. I guess you need a constant flow of players to make the trip through the DZ fun. Not too easy but not too hard.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Anything to do after all the missions other than the Dark Zone? All the areas seem low level and the PvP mechanics aren't exactly compelling, unless you're in a group I suppose.
We know nothing about th end game content other than the fact that the revs have mentioned they worked hard to make sure it's compelling,

Syder

Okay, I can see this getting really frustrating. You're looking for NPCs to kill in the DZ with your buddy, it's all going well and you pick up other players along the way, then your buddy accidentally (or deliberately but without telling you) shoots another player making you both rogue, the other players kill both of you because... Why wouldn't you? There's no penalties and only benefits for killing rogue players. Ugh.. Just left a really sour taste in my mouth losing loot in such a stupid way.

I more or less got everything I could out of the beta in about 4 or 5 hours which was pretty disappointing but I'm glad Ubisoft at least gave everyone the opportunity to try the game before it was released.

This game was first announced when DayZ and it's clones were in full swing and this game was clearly trying to capitalise on the buzz around that genre by creating a AAA experience in that field. As time passed they obviously realised that it's not an easy task and creating a fair, balanced, interesting and fun game in that style is very difficult. So they went down the Diablo/Borderlands/Destiny route. Which is fine, I guess but I don't think the setting lends itself that well to this genre.

I like loot driven games like Diablo but I just feel like The Division is just a not so good version of Destiny, which wasn't that great of a game in the first place, especially at it's initial release. At least the bullet sponge enemies aren't totally immersion breaking in Destiny because they're aliens which also means there's actually variation in enemies visually. I've played the game for probably 6 hours in total and the only different enemy I came across was the
flamethrower
boss.

Overall, I'm fairly indifferent and unconcerned when it comes to this game and what I've seen and played so far. This game is probably a purchase a year from now/Xmas sales when it's £15 and all of the DLC is included.

Calcium

Banned
I spend far too much time in this game walking around doing nothing. I've been enjoying myself for the most part, but my enjoyment of the game is starting to fade.

Man, nobody on PS4 talks. I've been playing for a couple hours now and I haven't heard a peep. Pretty lame.

Yep. I'm like the only person using a mic and it's helped me get out of a few awkward situations. I talked myself out of getting ganked by 4 Rogues. I talked myself out of getting ganked as a Rogue by a group that ran though my incendiary grenade like a bunch of idiots. And I talked my way into getting hunted around the map by two guys who couldn't take the hint that my shotgun > their health totals by taunting them mercilessly after the third or fourth time they tried to gank people at the extraction point only to get blasted in the back of the head by yours truly.

If you are on PS4, please, by all means, keep going Rogue, I love the free credits.

Tainted

I spend far too much time in this game walking around doing nothing. I've been enjoying myself for the most part, but my enjoyment of the game is starting to fade.

I know the feeling...but it is a beta and the content here is extremely limited

Calcium

Banned
Yep. I'm like the only person using a mic and it's helped me get out of a few awkward situations.

Yeah, I've tried to talk my way out of a few situations. I don't even know if they hear me though. For all I know I'm talking to myself. One thing I do is call out accidental Rogues and encourage everyone not to shoot them. I just keep shouting "He's a good man, don't do it!" It rarely works.

I know the feeling...but it is a beta and the content here is extremely limited

That or it's Destiny all over again and we are witnessing the bulk of the content.

ryanofcall

At least the bullet sponge enemies aren't totally immersion breaking in Destiny because they're aliens which also means there's actually variation in enemies visually.
Have you ever shot an Alien in the face in real life?
I have. It died instantly.

Tainted

That or it's Destiny all over again and we are witnessing the bulk of the content.

If that ingame map is to be believed (it was posted in that other beta thread during the CB) there will be a ton of icons on the map for the PvE area. I personally dont think content will be too much of an issue ...but it doesnt really matter how much content there is at release, there will be always be groups of players flying through it and then complaining about no content whereas others will be perfectly happy

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Natchai declared me the ruler of the Church of Alex.
Have you heard the word of Alex? Stop by the Church of Alex tomorrow for our sermon.

Last night I had pistol duels with randoms. Ten paces, whoever goes rogue first gets to shoot the other person till they are downed then the other's teammates revive them. Repeat.

EL CUCO

Game chat feels like hit or miss on PS4. Sometimes it works, sometimes it cuts out. It's pretty poor quality when it works, as well. I was hoping they could tune it up before launch but I'm not holding my breath on it. My team and I always start our sessions on game chat, then end up going to party chat.

Quazar

Frequency on people going rogue has gone up tremendously. I think people have hit that wall on beta and are just doing it for fun at this point. I think in real game it won't be this frequent.

The world design & general atmosphere of this game is absolutely brilliant, honestly very impressed by the tech that powers it. Seamlessly walking from an open world Manhattan into extremely detailed mission areas, all while in multiplayer with good performance has really warmed me to this game.

But the biggest aspect of the game seems to be the dark zone & the rogue system ruins it entirely for me... and I don't even kill other players much. There's a few things that annoy me with it but the biggest issue I have is this...

Why does everyone get a wall hack against rogue teams? This seriously ruins all strategy and positioning in PVP. I could understand if there was a general area marked on the main map to roughly show their positions, but having them marked perfectly on your HUD at all times even if they're behind cover just turns into everyone rush the rogue players because we can all sponge at least 1 clip.

Instead of having a swarm of players searching an area for the rogues, potentially walking into a deadly situation if the rogues are prepared, causing a cool cover based shootout last of us style. The HUD just gives you the positions so they don't have a chance to do any strategic ambushing, flanking, positioning, hiding etc.

You'll never turn a corner and have a group of hostile players catch you by surprise or worry about there being a potential sniper high in the scaffolding either because of this, the game just turns PVP encounters into the same as PVE where you sponge bullets and rush them in numbers the second the first shot is fired.

Honestly i'd accept all the other game flaws if they just replaced the wall hacking with a red area on the map indicating the general position of rogues. It would even make the scan ability more useful for PVP.

Jerm411

Man the Dark Zone is some of the most fun I've had playing multiplayer in years...think it's a really fun and interesting twist on MP.

Going in solo is extremely tense and completely awesome when finding and extracting loot.

.Anema

Hey guys, anyone knows how to fix the "Runtime error"?
I'm downloading the game and sometimes I have this error (blocks Uplay and cancels the download)
Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom