• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UV-6

I played a few hours of the open beta and I think I'll probably give this a pass.

Positives:

- The single player stuff was pretty cool with plenty to do
- The mechanics and gameplay controls are tight and responsive
- Amazing graphics, top notch

Negatives:
- Story, characters and dialogue is really dull
- A lot of repetition in side missions and encounters but to be expected from an RPG
- DZ is boring. I spent an hour earlier running around for 70% of my time looking for enemies to kill. And at the end of it I got slightly better gear. I've got no interest in grinding for better gear, especially when it's this tedious. I respect that some people like that, but I guess this game isn't for me.

Calcium

Banned
So the rest of the map is just nothing then, lol? Okay.

No, just more of the same. When Destiny was in Beta people were convinced that the Earth mission was such a small fragment of the game that the full version would be incredibly vast with tons of stuff to do. We all know how that turned out.

- DZ is boring. I spent an hour earlier running around for 70% of my time looking for enemies to kill. And at the end of it I got slightly better gear. I've got no interest in grinding for better gear, especially when it's this tedious. I respect that some people like that, but I guess this game isn't for me.

Supposedly the Dark Zones will have more stuff going on in the full release. I agree with your other points, though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Note to self. NEVER use turrets in the DZ.

They mark you as rogue if they accidentally fire upon players. Or if players intentionally walk in front of one.

It's not just that. Anyone that shoots your turret will have it instantly turn on them. It's stupid, and one of the numerous design problems with the Dark Zone.

deoee

sUQbAhu.png

#FashionGAF

ironcreed

Banned
No, just more of the same. When Destiny was in Beta people were convinced that the Earth mission was such a small fragment of the game that the full version would be incredibly vast with tons of stuff to do. We all know how that turned out.

One problem. This is not Destiny and is set in an open world map, rather than hubs. And like with any open world RPG, there is a main quest line and other things to do beyond that. It will have more than enough for a $60 game, plus the DZ taking place in a much larger area. More quests, more loot and more fun.

Calcium

Banned
One problem. This is not Destiny and is set in an open world map, rather than hubs. And like with any open world RPG, there is a main quest line and other things to do beyond that. It will have more than enough for a $60 game, plus the DZ taking place in a much larger area. More quests, more loot and more fun.

Right, an open world where currently I spend 75% of my time just walking from place to place with nothing to do. I'm hoping they severely cut down on NPC density for the beta because the world they've created is just so empty.

TitusTroy

They said more than 10 main missions and there will be a ton of side quests, plus the dark zone. Add to the fact that we are only seeing 22% of the entire map in the beta and it's safe to say that we will easily get our money's worth and then some.

10-12 main missions doesn't seem like a lot since those 2 missions in the beta were pretty short...side missions, building up your base etc sounds a lot like all other Ubisoft titles...seems like Dark Zone is what this game is all about and will make or break it

Saganator

Fun game. Unfortunately it's just another online game I won't be able to fully enjoy because I don't have a constant group of friends to play with.

Tried doing Dark Zone yesterday, while there was some spurts of good fun, it was almost always ruined by a group of players deciding to kill me while engaged with NPCs. I was able to group up with some randoms, but we were ran out by a bigger more cohesive group. In a couple hours all I was able to extract was a shitty green pistol. If I had a group of people to play with, I'd probably love this game, right now I just want to love it, but can't.

Wish these types of games were around 10-15 years ago when I had a bunch of online friends to play shit with. Anyone soured by trying DayZ/H1Z1 solo should stay away from this game, unless you concede that Dark Zone will likely be a waste of time.

ironcreed

Banned
Right, an open world where currently I spend 75% of my time just walking from place to place with nothing to do. I'm hoping they severely cut down on NPC density for the beta because the world they've created is just so empty.

Hey man, if it is not your thing, then it is not your thing. I just know I find the gameplay, level design and the atmosphere to be amazing and I can't wait. If the small little slice we have been given sucks me in this much, then that tells me the full game is $60 well spent.

Tovarisc

I went 24hrs or so in the closed beta without finding a weapon skin, seems like more of the same for the open beta :(

Didn't devs say after closed beta that they will add vendor for full release who will sell vanity items and weapon paints?

I still haven't seen one. Do they drop from a specific place or is it just random?

Give chocolate and water to needy civilians. Sometimes they give you weapon paint instead of their pants.

Calcium

Banned
Tried doing Dark Zone yesterday, while there was some spurts of good fun, it was almost always ruined by a group of players deciding to kill me while engaged with NPCs. I was able to group up with some randoms, but we were ran out by a bigger more cohesive group. In a couple hours all I was able to extract was a shitty green pistol. If I had a group of people to play with, I'd probably love this game, right now I just want to love it, but can't.

Sounds like you just had some bad luck there. I've been able to extract 30+ items while being solo. Some DZ instances are filled with pricks that just want to grief, but there are others that have people working together peacefully.

Give chocolate and water to needy civilians. Sometimes they give you weapon paint instead of their pants.

That's my chocolate and water. If I give it to them I won't have chocolate and water for when I need chocolate and water.

ironcreed

Banned
10-12 main missions doesn't seem like a lot since those 2 missions in the beta were pretty short...side missions, building up your base etc sounds a lot like all other Ubisoft titles...seems like Dark Zone is what this game is all about and will make or break it

Good thing that there is more to be done outside of the campaign, like with any other open world RPG. Nobody plays a game like this and ignores the world and side content.

Fun game. Unfortunately it's just another online game I won't be able to fully enjoy because I don't have a constant group of friends to play with.

Wish these types of games were around 10-15 years ago when I had a bunch of online friends to play shit with. Anyone soured by trying DayZ/H1Z1 solo should stay away from this game, unless you concede that Dark Zone will likely be a waste of time.
This is word for word how I feel.

Flaxh

People go Rogue because there is nothing else to do in the beta. Tec and me killed whole servers just for the thrill of being manhunted.

Too bad I missed that stuff yesterday :/

I remember joining Tecniqe session, going asap to extract point where there's a group of 5 rogues or something and he just obliterates them... I was like "o_O"

I think they could have shown something about crafting and perks in this CB.

hydruxo

My closed beta character had a whole goddamn closet of cosmetic items, but my open beta character looks like a bum. I keep getting waterproof shoes and brown jackets.

EL CUCO

Didn't devs say after closed beta that they will add vendor for full release who will sell vanity items and weapon paints?
I think I missed it, but I wouldn't doubt we'll see them in the form of microtransactions.
Lol

Calcium

Banned
Hey man, if it is not your thing, then it is not your thing. I just know I find the gameplay, level design and the atmosphere to be amazing and I can't wait. If the small little slice we have been given sucks me in this much, then that tells me the full game is $60 well spent.

I want it to be my thing, though. I've had some great fun in the Dark Zone and I honestly didn't think I would going in. I just don't want to get burned again like I did with Destiny.

Tovarisc

I think I missed it, but I wouldn't doubt we'll see them in the form of microtransactions.

They meant that vendor would sell them for in-game currency, not microtransactions. Because apparently devs felt those items to be too rare drops, especially weapon paints, in closed beta.

Saganator

Sounds like you just had some bad luck there. I've been able to extract 30+ items while being solo. Some DZ instances are filled with pricks that just want to grief, but there are others that have people working together peacefully.

Probably so. I know if I give it more time there will be instances of better fortune. Part of it is just me being an old fart who has less time to waste. I can only play in couple hour spurts, so when a solid chunk of that time is getting wasted by groups of players, it's a lot less fun.

ironcreed

Banned
I want it to be my thing, though. I've had some great fun in the Dark Zone and I honestly didn't think I would going in. I just don't want to get burned again like I did with Destiny.

I can understand that. I just choose to look at it from the perspective of knowing that this is an open world RPG with the added allure of the DZ. I figure if I get even around 30-40 hours out of it then it will easily be worth my money. Plus there is future content to look forward to, so I can come back for more.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Note to self. NEVER use turrets in the DZ.

They mark you as rogue if they accidentally fire upon players. Or if players intentionally walk in front of one.

Love fucking with people that are using their turret.

Tovarisc

In 50 hours combined in the closed and open beta I did not have a single weapon skin drop. My son got three in five or so hours in the closed beta.

Things like that really put that father son relationship in to test :D

---------

The number of NPCs and roaming enemies will be increased in the final version (according to Yannick in the official livestream)
http://www.twitch.tv/thedivisiongame/v/48556584?t=02h51m45s
http://www.twitch.tv/thedivisiongame/v/48556584?t=03h51m24s

Source; https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/46vs67/the_number_of_npcs_and_roaming_enemies_will_be/

Dev basically just says that full release will have a lot more NPC's around, roaming and otherwise. Inside and outside of DZ.

Edit: I don't know why it bothers me that GMG has listed developer for Division as Red Storm Entertainment. But then they aren't getting keys from Ubisoft either...

Hawk269

I went 24hrs or so in the closed beta without finding a weapon skin, seems like more of the same for the open beta :(

Me and my wife played for 2 hours and we each found a weapon skin. I received mine from the hospital mission and she received it by down in some random npc leader. It mud be luck because in closed beta that I put 12 or so hours I never had one.

matt05891

I wouldn't call it griefing. Griefing is intentionally fucking someone's day up for the sake of fucking it up. Everyone I run across only goes rogue to take my loot. It's a mechanic in the game for a reason.

That is unless you had a diffrent experience then I where they slaughtered people to slaughter. That's like camping 60's in out lands with full raid/arena gear in wow. Fucked up

Nokterian

Things like that really put that father son relationship in to test :D

---------

The number of NPCs and roaming enemies will be increased in the final version (according to Yannick in the official livestream)
http://www.twitch.tv/thedivisiongame/v/48556584?t=02h51m45s
http://www.twitch.tv/thedivisiongame/v/48556584?t=03h51m24s

Source; https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/46vs67/the_number_of_npcs_and_roaming_enemies_will_be/

Dev basically just says that full release will have a lot more NPC's around, roaming and otherwise. Inside and outside of DZ.

Edit: I don't know why it bothers me that GMG has listed developer for Division as Red Storm Entertainment. But then they aren't getting keys from Ubisoft either...

As expected really because this beta is still a very old code we are playing on. Hope the PC version will run even better at release it runs great now even in beta but i have confidence it will run good and that Nvidia will release drivers at the same time.

Really wish I didn't just hear about this game today, not gonna be able to download it fast enough before I have to go to work and the beta ends tomorrow :/

Game is good, I'm happy that it ends being so nice. My only concerns are:
- solo mode >> seems I won't enjoy the game if I play mostly alone. It's clearly not a single player experience... :(
- repetitiveness >> in the beta you already need to do things that are very similar (gameplay) and I'm not sure different types of missions will offer a wide variety of gameplay.
- loot >> I hope it won't get boring as fast as in Fallout 4 :/

Will play again tonight and will wait for reviews / OT but it's back in my radar !

Well besides the 12 missions the rest will be those "hostage rescue" sidequests etc. Just distractions. But i enjoy the Darkzone alone so that was enough to make me buy the game.

And im a recovering Destiny addict so don't really mind the game not having content :D

Raide

Just ran into a group of 7 or 8 people in the DZ just camping one ladder, nuking people as they went past. Died twice and just moved on. Some people just kept on running in there to die. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom