• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakely

So, we've seen two out of the twelve missions in the entire full game?

I'm not concerned, but my expectations are certainly properly managed.

SamuraiX-

Just got into a heavy snowstorm, pretty sure it was the first time but I noticed my character's entire posture changed when I was walking through the heavy wind and snow.

Amazing attention to detail.

Awesome shots! Yeah, the weather dynamics are just incredible.

ironcreed

Banned
Well besides the 12 missions the rest will be those "hostage rescue" sidequests etc. Just distractions. But i enjoy the Darkzone alone so that was enough to make me buy the game.

And im a recovering Destiny addict so don't really mind the game not having content :D

Like I said earlier, even if I only get 30-40 hours out of it then I will see it as being $60 well spent. But I am wagering that most will get far more than that. I am not sure how much more people expect, as I don't see spending that kind of time with a game as being light on content.

I've played single DZ and end up fine. Sure, there's been a few times where I get mobbed and destroyed but coming back, and help killing them and miraculously getting my stuff back is awesome. Plus the danger of being mobbed is part of the excitement.

ironcreed

Banned
I've played single DZ and end up fine. Sure, there's been a few times where I get mobbed and destroyed but coming back, and help killing them and miraculously getting my stuff back is awesome. Plus the danger of being mobbed is part of the excitement.

My thinking exactly.

Malcolm9

The game is ok, the lack of a crouch other than in cover isn't great. The city feels quite bare overall so I'll see what the full game offers.

Tecnniqe

Banned
63D077E01EBF8EA0FE6DCBC991D9E037DC140EAF

chixdiggit

Agreed. Solo is still fun for me. It's fun not being able to trust anybody.

The game is ok, the lack of a crouch other than in cover isn't great. The city feels quite bare overall so I'll see what the full game offers.

There is so much cover in this game though. When and why would you ever use crouch without it?

IvorB

Just ran into a group of 7 or 8 people in the DZ just camping one ladder, nuking people as they went past. Died twice and just moved on. Some people just kept on running in there to die. :D

Yeah that ladder. It always ends in a stand off there. You can't kill them from cover when they're dug in there and it's death to try and go up. I was there the one time and everyone started storming the ladder so I followed behind and when I got to the top it was a mess of people and I ended up going rogue for friendly fire and getting shot so now I just walk on by. Bonus is if rogues are pinned down at the top of the ladder that's a great time to go for that sneaky evac.

hydruxo

Yeah solo DZ isn't as bad as people make it out to be. You just have to pick your fights more carefully, and make sure when you pick up loot you extract it quickly and quietly.

Just ran into a group of 7 or 8 people in the DZ just camping one ladder, nuking people as they went past. Died twice and just moved on. Some people just kept on running in there to die. :D

That's such a lame spot too, I hope they do something about it for the final build. I feel like every spot should have at least 2 entryways/exits.

Kane1345

I was really surprised when an NPC used a turret against me. Literally said "what the fuck?" out loud. Happy to see it though :)

Yeah solo DZ isn't as bad as people make it out to be. You just have to pick your fights more carefully, and make sure when you pick up loot you extract it quickly and quietly.

Yup, totally agree

The only place to access your stash is at HQ and the Docks, right? Does anyone else think stashes should be available in safe houses in the DZ? Or at least having a fast travel option available outside the DZ checkpoints?

Raide

Yeah that ladder. It always ends in a stand off there. You can't kill them from cover when they're dug in there and it's death to try and go up. I was there the one time and everyone started storming the ladder so I followed behind and when I got to the top it was a mess of people and I ended up going rogue for friendly fire and getting shot so now I just walk on by. Bonus is if rogues are pinned down at the top of the ladder that's a great time to go for that sneaky evac.

Kind of wish the arc for grenades/turrets was higher. :D

So glad I did not drop anything of worth, else it would be super annoying to get caught by it over and over.

bjaelke

The only place to access your stash is at HQ and the Docks, right? Does anyone else think stashes should be available in safe houses in the DZ? Or at least having a fast travel option available outside the DZ checkpoints?

There will be safe houses near the dz entrances you can fast travel to in the full version.

Enjoying the game a lot solo but only 12 missions is scary. Side missions are OK but very similar so far. I love love love the setting and aesthetics but I don't know if there's enough in here for me to buy it.

NHale

Like I said earlier, even if I only get 30-40 hours out of it then I will see it as being $60 well spent. But I am wagering that most will get far more than that. I am not sure how much more people expect, as I don't see spending that kind of time with a game as being light on content.

Quite frankly it seems too little considering after 2 missions you are still trying to rebuild the base like a basic introduction of the game, so I would never have guessed that would be almost 1/4th of the missions. Also there is certainly 1 or 2 missions before the start of the beta, since we start at rank 4.

Then we have 4 factions, which would mean 3 missions per faction? Maybe later missions are some huge dungeons that take almost 1 hour to complete but if the structure of the missions are similar to those 2 we played, then there is no way around the fact that the game is indeed light in main missions content.

I'm still very interested in this and during the betas I spent more time exploring and doing side missions than doing the actual main missions (I'm sure they will have some kind of special daily encounters), but that still doesn't excuse the fact that the main missions on a RPG will take around 8 hours to complete. Even the content starved Destiny had more (and I also loved Destiny by the way).

And to those saying the Dark Zone is the answer to this possible "problem", I sure hope Ubisoft/Massive isn't betting that the DZ will appeal to 90% of their audience because as it stands right now (they can change PvE rewards vs PvP), it clearly won't be and after launch it will probably even be less welcome to those without a dedicated group of friends to play. I'm sure it will be a blast for those that have those groups when the DZ is only populated with super dedicated players, but that will not solve the an eventual content problem for the rest of people.

IvorB

Kind of wish the arc for grenades/turrets was higher. :D

So glad I did not drop anything of worth, else it would be super annoying to get caught by it over and over.

You can throw stuff up there but unless you kill them all outright it's pointless because they will just retreat further back into that enclave and res/heal as required :-(.

Absolutely. I couldn't extract loot because my stash was full. I couldn't go to my stash with loot that wasn't extracted or they would be destroyed. Should have planned better, for sure, but I was having a good little run in the DZ and didn't want to stop.

I also think the penalty for dying while rogue is just way too steep to be worth it, which sucks because the DZ is a blast while solo when you don't know who might stab you in the back for your loot. As is, this happens rarely because nobody wants to delevel, so it becomes just another PvE zone. When this isn't the case, the zone is so much more fun and tense.

That said, I think this beta sold me on the game.

Grisby

It can really suck though if you have a bad run.

Get some loot, die to three dudes. Try and find npc's to kill, but they're all gone. Players kill you again to be dicks. Etc.

There's some real highs in DZ, but it's definitely a lot tougher for solo guys.

I've decided I'll probably pick up the game, even though I have some issues with it and remain hugely skeptical about its longevity. I still think I'll have enough fun with it to justify the cost.

I stumbled upon this youtube channel while looking for info about the game and it has been immensely helpful: https://www.youtube.com/user/MarcoStyleNL/videos

This guy does a huge amount of research into the game and his videos are edited extremely well. I feel the beta barely explains anything but this has essentially taught me the game.

Pop

So, we've seen two out of the twelve missions in the entire full game?

I'm not concerned, but my expectations are certainly properly managed.

Well if they all average about 30 minutes to complete. Thats a 6 hour main story. Plus you can replay them all on harder difficulty for better loot.

Obviously the game wasn't built on just those missions.

IvorB

So I haven't been going rogue a lot but yesterday I got this gun in the DZ and was really keen to try it out. I was being really careful with extracting it but I got shot by one of those NPC assholes. When I respawn I get back to find some fresh-faced Johnny scooping up all my stuff. I... I did what I had to do.

Calcium

Banned
I wouldn't call it griefing. Griefing is intentionally fucking someone's day up for the sake of fucking it up. Everyone I run across only goes rogue to take my loot. It's a mechanic in the game for a reason.

That is unless you had a diffrent experience then I where they slaughtered people to slaughter. That's like camping 60's in out lands with full raid/arena gear in wow. Fucked up

I was specifically referring to those who are assholes given the opportunity. Camping the entrance to the DZ, killing players exiting the safe houses, only killing players that are fighting NPCs and near death, jumping into someone's line of fire to make them go Rogue, etc. Regular occurrences with Rogues isn't a problem, it happens, but when certain players are obviously taking advantage of the system to act like pricks is when I can understand a lot of people getting frustrated.

Like I said earlier, even if I only get 30-40 hours out of it then I will see it as being $60 well spent.

Would say that is on the high end of the spectrum. Most games have an 8 hour campaign tops. And I think you can finish the story of this one in that time as well if you don't have friends or don't want PvP.

I played 11 hours of the last beta and 6 hours so far of this one already :D

Venom Fox

Banned
Well besides the 12 missions the rest will be those "hostage rescue" sidequests etc. Just distractions. But i enjoy the Darkzone alone so that was enough to make me buy the game.

And im a recovering Destiny addict so don't really mind the game not having content :D
There are 30 main missions aren't there? 10 for each wing of the HQ.

Edit: There's a YouTube interview with a Dev who said each wing will have 10 missions attached to it. As we know, main missions are attached to each grade of the wings, so there's 30 missions confirmed.

I might be done for the day, so here's where I ended up. I just stayed at level 7 so I wouldn't have to deal with the fully geared murder death squads.

NukyEiN.jpg

(DPS with the Rifle was 3,138)

The only other thing I was still looking for was different types of marksman rifles to try. But pretty happy with what I had. The gear disparity is real though, just ran around killing rogues lately and they didn't have a chance.

So yeah, the twinking experiment was a 'success'. I suspect we'll see this in the full release.

Zom

Banned
I'm going to play the beta just for the jacket, because by the time it finishes downloading and installing i won't have much time to play.

oh well.

I think I'm done for now. Definitely keeping my preorder. 17 hours in the beta. I've paid full price for games half as long, so I'm not worried about content or not getting my money's worth.

I actually quite enjoyed playing the DZ solo, it increased the sense of isolation and encourages you to be more stealthy. And when you were about to initiate an extraction, it forced you to monitor the surrounding area first to make sure you had a chance of surviving the countdown.

I am very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the game. The whole downgrade argument almost pushed me away, but the beta is really solid.

The world, attention to detail and overall atmosphere are exactly up my street.

SamuraiX-

I'm sure this is a no-brainer, but has anybody found any flashlight mods for weapons in the beta? Would be nice to have one when exploring the underground areas of the game.

Ketch

I'm pretty excited for this, but I'm kind of worried... how in danger is the full release of being this years destiny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom