• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 days, people. 16 days!!!!! Yeahhhhhhh

I love the missions, love the story, love everything about this game. So good. Game of the gen so far for me.

Agreed. Solo is still fun for me. It's fun not being able to trust anybody.

There is so much cover in this game though. When and why would you ever use crouch without it?

There are so many times I wanted to crouch where there was no cover or didn't want to be forced to use this game's crappy cover system

Ketch

ehhhhh.... that's kind of not super reassuring. I'm gonna try the beta for sure, but I'll probably wait for reviews before picking it up at release

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm pretty excited for this, but I'm kind of worried... how in danger is the full release of being this years destiny?

iQ5JGvU.gif

This years
Borderlands

Traffcore

This question have most likely been asked before, but is there any word on the endgame content?

This is an aspect that worries me a bit.

Kind of got fucked over earlier. I went down and my buddy was trying to revive me but it wouldn't give him the option so I bled out, then he got shot by NPCs. Then a group of guys strolling by just stopped and took all our stuff.

Kind of a bummer a glitch fucked us over like that.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I hope you're talking about Borderlands 1
Because if you're talking about Borderlands 2 you best put your affairs in order, son, because I am coming for you.
Oh yeah?
I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in Strategic Homeland Division, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Rikers Island, and I have over 300 confirmed manhunts. I am trained in snow storm warfare and I’m the top marksman in the entire US Division forces. You are nothing to me but just another bulletsponge.
This question have most likely been asked before, but is there any word on the endgame content?

This is an aspect that worries me a bit.

Been leak talks about raids 2 weeks after launch

One problem. This is not Destiny and is set in an open world map, rather than hubs. And like with any open world RPG, there is a main quest line and other things to do beyond that. It will have more than enough for a $60 game, plus the DZ taking place in a much larger area. More quests, more loot and more fun.
Ubisoft has a habit of having huge open worlds with only a handful of different types of missions to do though. Far Cry 4 had a lot of content, but it wasn't very varied content. The DZ being a much larger area doesn't really mean much if there isn't more to do in it.

More quests, more loot and more fun was like, the rally cry of everyone saying that Destiny was going to have a lot more in the final game and it just didn't happen. Combine that with the fact that Ubisoft doesn't have the best track record on interesting varied side content in their open world games and it's understandable why people would be skeptical about The Division.

I hope I'm wrong though, because a lot of things about it are fun. But so far I'm getting a lot of Destiny beta vibes as well after playing it for hours yesterday.

Borderlands as a series has one problem:

The gunplay is the worst I've ever played.
Weird, because I actually really like Borderlands' gunplay but think that the division's is pretty poor and not fun, in the slightest. How anyone can praise the Division's gunplay or tps mechanics after playing MGSV, is beyond me. I am aware this is subjective and you all probably have a fps counter argument for Borderlands' gunplay.

I'm sure this is a no-brainer, but has anybody found any flashlight mods for weapons in the beta? Would be nice to have one when exploring the underground areas of the game.

It's funny you ask that I came encounter with some rioters around the Camp Hudson vicinity and one them flashed something at me.

So I played the beta for a few hours; did all the single player content there is and spent some time in the Dark Zone. Doesn't seem like the game is for me, I just don't like the way it plays.

It's good they did an open beta so I was able to check it out at least.

deoee

Weird, because I actually really like Borderlands' gunplay but think that the division's is pretty poor and not fun, in the slightest. How anyone can praise the Division's gunplay or tps mechanics after playing MGSV, is beyond me. I am aware this is subjective and you all probably have a fps counter argument for Borderlands' gunplay.

Destiny has perfect gunplay (for me) so it made BL unplayable :D

I really like The Division shooting but I can see how you find it lackluster compared to MGS

Lemondish

Ubisoft has a habit of having huge open worlds with only a handful of different types of missions to do though. Far Cry 4 had a lot of content, but it wasn't very varied content. The DZ being a much larger area doesn't really mean much if there isn't more to do in it.

More quests, more loot and more fun was like, the rally cry of everyone saying that Destiny was going to have a lot more in the final game and it just didn't happen. Combine that with the fact that Ubisoft doesn't have the best track record on interesting varied side content in their open world games and it's understandable why people would be skeptical about The Division.

I hope I'm wrong though, because a lot of things about it are fun. But so far I'm getting a lot of Destiny beta vibes as well after playing it for hours yesterday.

If variety is something you value in content, stay away from MMOs or MMO style games like Destiny or the Division. Despite not hitting all the bullet points for an MMORPG, they share quite a lot of similarities, and MMOs in general suffer from a severe lack of quest/mission variety.

jesus ...some people online. I was walking down the street . 2 Guys walk past me i dont do any sudden movements or anything and keep walking and surprise surprise one of them shots me in the back. They`ve used open mic and one of them told his buddy,, he is not an AI" and the shooter said ,, i know, who cares." Takes my loot and calls me an Asshole. ... They sounded about 12. Calling me an Asshole was really unnecessary.

second situation i used matchmaking to walk around the dark zone. First everything was fine but after 5 minutes one of my teammates started shooting at us ...

i got some ok loot after a heavy fight and was about to go to that helicopter zone but before i got there a team of 3 attacked everything that moved... lost everything.

yep... this game is not for me.

Destiny has perfect gunplay (for me) so it made BL unplayable :D

I really like The Division shooting but I can see how you find it lackluster compared to MGS

I knew you were going to bring up destiny. Lol, and I agree it has amazing gunplay. Too bad I didn't play for a few weeks and was so far behind, I was never able to catch up. I am still undecided onnthe division because I had fun running around with friends but am unsure what it will offer content wise. I just hope players who don't play this game everyday don't get screwed over.

Ulysses 31

jesus ...some people online. I was walking down the street . 2 Guys walk past me i dont do any sudden movements or anything and keep walking and surprise surprise one of them shots me in the back. They`ve used open mic and one of them told his buddy,, he is not an AI" and the shooter said ,, i know, who cares." Takes my loot and calls me an Asshole. ...

second situation i used matchmaking to walk around the dark zone. First everything was fine but after 5 minutes one of my teammates started to shot at us ...

This is what worries me too, that and I seeing how other groups already cleared out areas and thus having to wait for respawns.

Won't there be any "dungeons"/areas where co-operation is a must or no one gets meaningful loot like the WoW dungeons in the beginning?

I knew you were going to bring up destiny. Lol, and I agree it has amazing gunplay. Too bad I didn't play for a few weeks and was so far behind, I was never able to catch up. I am still undecided onnthe division because I had fun running around with friends but am unsure what it will offer content wise. I just hope players who don't play this game everyday don't get screwed over.

If anything, I think it would be worse in that regard. Destiny normalizes damage and health for PvP, The Division doesn't.

jesus ...some people online. I was walking down the street . 2 Guys walk past me i dont do any sudden movements or anything and keep walking and surprise surprise one of them shots me in the back. They`ve used open mic and one of them told his buddy,, he is not an AI" and the shooter said ,, i know, who cares." Takes my loot and calls me an Asshole. ... They sounded about 12. Calling me an Asshole was really unnecessary.

second situation i used matchmaking to walk around the dark zone. First everything was fine but after 5 minutes one of my teammates started shooting at us ...

i got some ok loot after a heavy fight and was about to go to that helicopter zone but before i got their a team of 3 attacked everything that moved... lost everything.

Trust NO ONE, watch your back at all times, and when approaching teams or groups of players you will need to know the area well enough to have an exit plan or just run away as a last resort. You won't go down in one shot so if someone turns on you and/or has the upper-hand your first thought should be to find cover, recover, and then fight back if need be.

Gryph

If anything, I think it would be worse in that regard. Destiny normalizes damage and health for PvP, The Division doesn't.

I think it's wrong to think of the Dark Zone as PVP in The Division. It's a player damage enabled PVE zone with a risk/reward system.

It's true that it can technically be "Player versus Player" but none of the design choices are well suited for death match style game-play. The interviews with Devs seem to suggest that with the large zone they don't think people will be fighting like they are now...

ironcreed

Banned
jesus ...some people online. I was walking down the street . 2 Guys walk past me i dont do any sudden movements or anything and surprise surprise one of them shots me in the back. They`ve used open mic and one of them said he is not an AI and the shooter said ,, i know who cares. Takes my loot and calls me an Asshole"

second situation i used matchmaking to walk around the dark zone. First everything was fine but after 5 minutes one of my teammates started to shot at us ...

The Dark Zone will sometimes be like the third person shooter equivalent of this:

J66DHWX.gif

It just goes with the territory.

Trust NO ONE, watch your back at all times, and when approaching teams or groups of players you will need to know the area well enough to have an exit plan or just run away as a last resort. You won't go down in one shot so if someone turns on you and/or has the upper-hand your first thought should be to find cover, recover, and then fight back if need be.

it`s a really terrible feeling if you finally found some good gear and some 12 year olds walk around the corner and rob you. I dont say this game is bad and the dark zone can be fun and hiding to not get killed is fun in a way but that game session today was really discouraging.

It`s the same as if you find some great loot in destiny and your little brother deletes everything you just found. It`s the same feeling. I dont know how many people will like that feeling of getting robbed in a video game.

I think it's wrong to think of the Dark Zone as PVP in The Division. It's a player damage enabled PVE zone with a risk/reward system.

It's true that it can technically be "Player versus Player" but none of the design choices are well suited for death match style game-play. The interviews with Devs seem to suggest that with the large zone they don't think people will be fighting like they are now...

PvP is very different between Destiny and The Division, they are hard to compare. But specific to his comment of "getting left behind", comparing the Crucible to the DZ is the only relevant comparison to make. So I think my point still stands.

Alpende

Kind of reminds how I wanted the AC multiplayer to be. Everybody mingling and trying not to be noticed while getting to your target. Instead you have everybody running around like a headless chicken.

I haven't ventured into the Dark Zone yet but if I go in fully expect to be killed by random people while not threatening them at all.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I have done pretty decent in the dark zone running solo.

Way more fun with a squad but with about 10 hours of play I have only had 3 instances were people killed me just to take my stuff.

Axial

Not much of a fan of the whole PvP or co-op bullshit, but the solo time I had inside the PvE zone was actually quite fun. There's a certain Stalker'esque feel to the game while freeroaming the abandoned streets and buildings of NYC in search of loot or the next available mission. The strong art direction, atmospheric graphics and various weather effects make it even more enjoyable. Also loving the whole RPG aspect of leveling up, looting and customizing your gear, reminds me alot of Diablo 3.

I guess the PvE side will be structured a bit like other RnG based loot games. You'll probably get around 10 or 12 main missions to unlock all the wings inside your main base of operations, a couple of side missions to level up the base and some filler content like collectible pieces of intel or random encounters with mobs and other shit to grind your heart out once you're done with the main storyline. I can live with that, there was enough content in the beta for me as a solo player to spend an enjoyable amount of time with the game without even venturing into the DZ.

The DZ itself is where the fun ends for me though. The only thing that keeps me right now from preordering the game(incl. the season pass) is the fact that the higher rarity loot is supposedly locked behind the DZ. I understand the whole risk vs reward thing, but the way PvE, PvP and loot extraction is setup inside the zone is just penalizing solo players and leaving them open to all kinds of griefing and other scumbags. Imho there's no fun to the DZ if you are not into co-op play or don't have any online friends to play with in the first place. Which is quite a shame considering it's a loot based RPG. F#%k that... oh and also f#%k the added tension too.

ironcreed

Banned
Really enjoyed what I've played so far. Surviving as a rouge is pretty much impossible. At least it was for me. I was just by myself though.

That is why I prefer to sneak around as a good guy. Although you will get ganged up on, you draw far less attention to yourself and stand a better chance of getting your loot out when you lay low and cooperate until you have to defend yourself. But I do still plan to hunt down rogues and even try being one sometimes in order to try and get better stuff.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kind of reminds how I wanted the AC multiplayer to be. Everybody mingling and trying not to be noticed while getting to your target. Instead you have everybody running around like a headless chicken.

Blame the five minute time limit for that. You can't get anywhere with Assasin's Creed's default walk speed.

Gryph

The DZ itself is where the fun ends for me though. The only thing that keeps me right now from preordering the game(incl. the season pass) is the fact that the higher rarity loot is supposedly locked behind the DZ. I understand the whole risk vs reward thing, but the way PvE, PvP and loot extraction is setup inside the zone is just penalizing solo players and leaving them open to all kinds of griefing and other scumbags. Imho there's no fun to the DZ if you are not into co-op play or don't have any online friends to play with in the first place. Which is quite a shame considering it's a loot based RPG. F#%k that... oh and also f#%k the added tension too.

I get this concern, but Julian Gerighty said in an interview last week that the gear in the DZ is "not necessarily more powerful - they’re just unique.”

That said, if you're not into the DZ it does sound like you're going to be missing out on some of the fun events and stuff. I hope that the DZ does calm down like the Devs are claiming it will.

Although full disclosure I've really come to love playing solo in the DZ. I didn't think this would happen, but the more I survived and learned to accept my fate when I got caught by players, the more fun I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom