• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
People like the rush. I like feeling that I might get jumped at any moment. The DZ might not just be for you.

Assuming that someone doesn't like the Dark Zone gameplay, is there still something in this game for them? That is, is it worth playing if you don't do any Dark Zone stuff? Or is that the main hook of the game?

MAX PAYMENT

That's what the Dark Zone IS! I've had many tense standoffs at the extraction when my group and another group meet. Sometimes it goes fine, sometimes shit hits the fan.

I really hope they don't neuter the DZ because of players complaining about it being "unfair" or whatever.

DZ should be as brutal as it can be. If you or your team is careless, opportunists should be able to swiftly take advantage. It needs to be a trust no one, eyes over your shoulder constantly type mode.

Best thing to do when at the extraction zone with other group is to assign 2 people to protect everyone else and not try to bunch up since there are only 4 slots. Just wait for multiple extractions.

Also honestly after a certain point I don't know why I cared about extracting. The better weapons were from the vendors, never drops.

Assuming that someone doesn't like the Dark Zone gameplay, is there still something in this game for them? That is, is it worth playing if you don't do any Dark Zone stuff? Or is that the main hook of the game?

Well, you got an idea of the PvE content from the beta. I wouldn't consider the game worth playing just for that, but YMMV.

RaptorGTA

Outside of the campaign there will be a host of side quests, including ones that you will need to do to upgrade your facility. Then there is the DZ.

Put it this way:

wTOdKLx.jpg

The purple is the beta. The blue represents the full map. The game will be more than sufficient for a full retail release.

Enjoyed the beta. I thought the playable area in the final game was going to be larger then what is shown in the map.

Achamian

Agree with the person earlier that said you shouldn't be able to extract while rogue. You're supposed to be a ROGUE agent FFS why would your bosses allow you to extract gear while you're being hunted down!?

Bruno

Don't hate the players, hate the game... and how stupidly easy it is to pull off this crap because of the whole flawed extraction routine.

It's not flawed and it's not "stupidly easy". It happens from time to time and there is a video of one guy doing it. Show me the videos of you doing it consistently and then maybe you have some ground. If someone used a grenade on me while I was extracting it wouldn't even bring my HP below 50% - nevermind the fact that there is a giant warning circle on the ground before the grenade goes off and nobody even flinched. One lucky player killed a group of low geared slow reacting players. Noobs got owned call the press!

Maybe I'm just a different kind of human being, but I don't see how that's supposed to be fun?

You don't like a small amount of adrenaline while playing a game? DZ isn't for you, which is okay - it's not for everybody and it doesn't have to be. Many people enjoy it and will continue to after launch.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Maybe I'm just a different kind of human being, but I don't see how that's supposed to be fun?
The tense feeling.

That's what the Dark Zone IS! I've had many tense standoffs at the extraction when my group and another group meet. Sometimes it goes fine, sometimes shit hits the fan.

I really hope they don't neuter the DZ because of players complaining about it being "unfair" or whatever.
The best kind of standoff is when everyone has their own target and is aiming at each other. Fucking tense as hell.

I've had several occasions where a group tries that exact scenario -- throw stickies to try to kill my group and take our stuff -- and have them fail miserably and all die because my group was aware of them and anticipated what they were doing.

Just because you're bad at the game doesn't mean the DZs should be changed.

Agree with the person earlier that said you shouldn't be able to extract while rogue. You're supposed to be a ROGUE agent FFS why would your bosses allow you to extract gear while you're being hunted down!?

How would they know? Based on the lore there's no communication outside of the dark zone when you're in it. That's why you extract using a flare.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I've had several occasions where a group tries that exact scenario -- throw stickies to try to kill my group and take our stuff -- and have them fail miserably and all die because my group was aware of them and anticipated what they were doing.

Just because you're bad at the game doesn't mean the DZs should be changed.

DZ is awesome as is!

ironcreed

Banned
If it was easy, then there would be no point in even having the mode. Just play it and sometimes things will go your way and other times you are going to get Dark Zowned. Because that is the way it is designed.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Well there's also the non DZ stuff which also seems pretty fun for me. But again, you might want to think about getting the game, since we don't know what's the end-game content for sure, and the DZ seems to be the one long lasting part of the game. You can still group up with other guys in the DZ to prevent being jumped at, plus playing with other people increases the fun.

Wanderer5

Meh I like the tension at times, but don't really care so much about it heh. Just wish DZ didn't feel so boring beyond that, which more NPCs should help that least a bit.

Think I had my fill for this beta. Some nice potential here, but I hope it doesn't get old quickly. Will keep a eye on where this game will go in the full release, but I not sure if I going to get it either way.

IMHO the darkzone is fine because the best gear is behind vendors not drops.

That means that so long as you can generally end a session with more currency and more exp then you're fine. Everything in the mean time iss just funsies.

I do think the ladder camp by one of the entrances should go though...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably go with the PC version but I'm kinda stuck deciding between the PC and PS4 versions. The PS4 does have friends of mine playing it so of course thats a plus but 60fps, mouse/kb controls (which I think just suit this game particularly really well) and an autorun button which I appreciated a lot more than I thought I would. Plus I was thinking of not renewing my PS Plus next year.

Gah.

The game itself is fantastic though, I'll buying one version at least!

Axial

Never been on a fairground ride, or bungee jumping, watched a scary film.... anything like that?

Its fun
We're talking about a videogame ffs, not a rollercoaster ride or horror movie.
There's no fun to be had from tension if all it leads up to is a big disappointment at the end of some scumbags looking to steal your loot.

I can't seem to call an extraction from in the DZ and when other people (like my mate who I was playing with) call them I don't see a rope, and the 'hold square' command doesn't work. A bug?

sn00zer

FFFUuuUuuuuuuck is this a cool world they built. One of the first times Ive seen a well populated apocalypse in videogames. Gameplay is a bit odd though....kinda wished they just dropped the dumb incremental loot stuff haunting games like Destiny. And leveling makes absolutely no sense for the world they are portraying.

Gah Ubi....stop making awesome worlds, then doing everything in your power to downplay their importance.

Smash88

Banned
I'll probably go with the PC version but I'm kinda stuck deciding between the PC and PS4 versions. The PS4 does have friends of mine playing it so of course thats a plus but 60fps, mouse/kb controls (which I think just suit this game particularly really well) and an autorun button which I appreciated a lot more than I thought I would. Plus I was thinking of not renewing my PS Plus next year.

Gah.

The game itself is fantastic though, I'll buying one version at least!

Honestly go where your friends are. Playing The Division solo is not going to be as fun, or for some unplayable. My two cents.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I really hope the people wanting to baby the DZ are just a vocal minority. It's not perfect, but I hope those cries fall on deaf ears and the DZ doesn't end up being nerfed or made safer.

Sorry if this was talked about before, but has this happened for anyone else?

Last night a party of friends and I went into the DZ and there were NO OTHER PLAYERS IN THE INSTANCE. It was just us.

It was pretty awesome. We ran around and killed npcs but it was late so they had to bounce.

That just left me alone in a DZ with no other players.

I started off with nine DZ keys too. I opened up as many chests as I could find before my stash filled up to capacity. It felt weird calling for extraction and having no players to watch out for. Of course the AI would come attack me during every one of them and I died a lot, but having no one else to steal whatever I dropped I just came back everytime and picked up everything back.

It was weird but enjoyable!

edit: this was on PC btw

Jerm411

Is all the top quality and high end loot gonna be behind the DZ in the final game...?

Just haven't found much of quality outside of it and was wondering if this is how it would be once the game drops....

Bruno

There's no fun to be had from tension if all it leads up to is a big disappointment at the end of some scumbags looking to steal your loot.

All jokes aside - there is nothing "flawed" about the Dark Zone IMO. If you are legitimately having a hard time getting gear and extracting it then you just need to get better. If you're just not having fun - well - play a different game.

u4ea

Not sure if i get the game.
After an hour or 2 I finished all the quests there were on the map so there was nothing else to do it seems. Do you have to grind to a specific level to unlock extra sidemissions?

Then I entered the darkzone. Not sure if it's a European thing but I had like no people at all shooting at me when I extracted gear. Everyone waited neatly until the chopper arrived and helped if they saw me struggling with some enemies. I played a couple of hours in the DZ and only saw 1 or 2 rogue people.

enemies are also extremely rare it seems. There were times I sprinted for 5 minutes without seeing 1 other player or enemy AI.

I really the people wanting to baby the DZ are just a vocal minority. It's not perfect, but I hope those cries fall on deaf ears and the DZ doesn't end up being nerfed or made safer.

Agreed. I like the brutal nature of it.

Then I entered the darkzone. Not sure if it's a European thing but I had like no people at all shooting at me when I extracted gear. Everyone waited neatly until the chopper arrived and helped if they saw me struggling with some enemies. I played a couple of hours in the DZ and only saw 1 or 2 rogue people.

You Euros know how to form an orderly queue!

Not sure if i get the game.
After an hour or 2 I finished all the quests there were on the map so there was nothing else to do it seems. Do you have to grind to a specific level to unlock extra sidemissions?

enemies are also extremely rare it seems. There were times I sprinted for 5 minutes without seeing 1 other player or enemy AI.
Not a European thing I had exactly the opposite experience. A couple of roving gangs of rouges just killing everyone constantly. They camped the extraction points. God my salt levels were astronomical.

Is there any tangible benefit to the armor stats on gear? I swear I haven't noticed anything and just go for whatever can raise my DPS and Health regardless of it's tier.

Is there any tangible benefit to the armor stats on gear? I swear I haven't noticed anything and just go for whatever can raise my DPS and Health regardless of it's tier.

Damage mitigation. If you go to your character stats and scroll down, you'll end up on "armor" and will show how much you're mitigating

I'm in the camp that they should nerf rogue and manhunt. What's the point in calling the Dark Zone the "PvP" if you're just going to actively discourage any PvP battles?

Besides it just creates instances where people try to game the system by walking in front of your bullets to get you to go rogue. And then everyone around you, even if they know it was an accident, fills you with lead. Better to have more anarchy with maybe a little less punishment for deaths.

I'm in the camp that they should nerf rogue and manhunt. What's the point in calling the Dark Zone the "PvP" if you're just going to actively discourage any PvP battles?

Besides it just creates instances where people try to game the system by walking in front of your bullets to get you to go rogue. And then everyone around you, even if they know it was an accident, fills you with lead. Better to have more anarchy with maybe a little less punishment for deaths.
They nerfed manhunt drastically from CB to OB

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly go where your friends are. Playing The Division solo is not going to be as fun, or for some unplayable. My two cents.

You absolutely have a point, I guess the thing for me is that I really enjoy playing the beta solo (even the Dark Zone) so I reckon I'd enjoy the game myself anyway. Decisions decisions!

Do you really want to nerf moments like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr6dZ_0BRWs&feature=youtu.be

When you're succesful it's more enjoyable because of the risk.

ffs it isn't rocket science. It's higer risk/reward, but all games have risk/reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom