• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're talking about a videogame ffs, not a rollercoaster ride or horror movie.
There's no fun to be had from tension if all it leads up to is a big disappointment at the end of some scumbags looking to steal your loot.

Well, the more that's at stake, the bigger the rush.

Really though, I suspect the issue is gear. The game is a lot different when you're in a bunch of random greens, fighting people in purples, rather than the other way around. If you were 'late' to the gear grind, you're probably dealing with people who have twice your health and DPS, and have nothing else to do but shoot people.

squidyj

They need to do something about turrets turning you rogue. shit's infuriating.
Having some more granularity in matchmaking would be nice, it'd be nice to be able to put together a group of people who want to go rogue or a group of people who want to farm chests,
comparing mods in stores to mods on equipped weapons would be nice.

We're talking about a videogame ffs, not a rollercoaster ride or horror movie.
There's no fun to be had from tension if all it leads up to is a big disappointment at the end of some scumbags looking to steal your loot.

After it happens a few times, it gets old very fast and you end up waiting for people to turn rogue and kill them at extraction zones. This'll probably change once the full game is out and you actually get good items.

Trouble

Banned
When you're succesful it's more enjoyable because of the risk.

ffs it isn't rocket science. It's higer risk/reward, but all games have risk/reward.

Doesn't make up for it.

I'm really concerned that this game is going to become a ghost town once everyone burns through the single player content.

Damage mitigation. If you go to your character stats and scroll down, you'll end up on "armor" and will show how much you're mitigating

If I do 25% mitigation, it more or less means that all incoming damage (ie, a bullet) is only doing 75% of its full potential against me? So it can matter and not matter as much depending of your build?

I'm not saying they should remove it entirely. Just maybe nerf rogue status like they did manhunt status.

The rewards of manhunt and rogue are already paltry. What else would you propose? ~500dz credits for manhunt survival is a joke. Plus, you drop MORE loot when you're rogue.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
For some reason, I want a Batman-style class that can move fast and use hand-to-hand techniques to take out folks.

I know it's not possible with the level design and all, but man, sneaking into a mob or group of PvP rogues and knocking them sideways sounds fun.

Maybe it's the Dark Knight Rises vibe I get from the game.

Really though, I suspect the issue is gear. The game is a lot different when you're in a bunch of random greens, fighting people in purples, rather than the other way around. If you were 'late' to the gear grind, you're probably dealing with people who have twice your health and DPS, and have nothing else to do but shoot people.
I could see this becoming an issue as well since they're nothing stopping a high level player in the 30's bracket zones going to 8-9 bracket zones.

Then again, the mode is supposed to be anarchy. But it would be frustrating for new players.

N° 2048

Not sure if i get the game.
After an hour or 2 I finished all the quests there were on the map so there was nothing else to do it seems. Do you have to grind to a specific level to unlock extra sidemissions?

Then I entered the darkzone. Not sure if it's a European thing but I had like no people at all shooting at me when I extracted gear. Everyone waited neatly until the chopper arrived and helped if they saw me struggling with some enemies. I played a couple of hours in the DZ and only saw 1 or 2 rogue people.

enemies are also extremely rare it seems. There were times I sprinted for 5 minutes without seeing 1 other player or enemy AI.

Exact same experience here.

Cancelled the pre-order so fast. Not getting burned again after Destiny.

I'm struggling to come up with things I would do to improve the Dark Zone, but I can't really think of anything. It's only going to get better come release, too.

Heysoos

Most of my experience in dark zone so far is a group of 3 or 4 killing a player or two then running away to a zone that only has one entrance. Either a ladder up or a long alleyway that gives them clear field of vision but no protection for anyone trying to kill them. Meh.

I could see this becoming an issue as well since they're nothing stopping a high level player in the 30's bracket zones going to 8-9 bracket zones.

Then again, the mode is supposed to be anarchy. But it would be frustrating for new players.

Hmm? No a level 30 player would be in the level 30 bracket. Still though, you're right about it being frustrating for new players. Even at the same level, the difference between good and bad gear is huge.

arhra

At max level you enter a completely different instance to lower-level players (which is all re-populated and balanced for level 30).

I'd expect the lower-level versions to be bracketed by player level to some extent as well, to prevent level 29 twinks griefing lowbies, but it's hard to say for certain as the beta has it's own specific setup due to the limitations in place in terms of player level (it has a 1-7 bracket, which due to the starting level is actually really 4-7, plus a max-beta-level bracket for level 8 players).

Gear balancing might well be an issue in the max-level DZ, with fresh 30s getting annihilated by veterans, but in the full game the DZ won't be the only source of high-end loot, so you'll be able to gear up more effectively before going in.

mosdl

Best thing to do when at the extraction zone with other group is to assign 2 people to protect everyone else and not try to bunch up since there are only 4 slots. Just wait for multiple extractions.

Also honestly after a certain point I don't know why I cared about extracting. The better weapons were from the vendors, never drops.

Perhaps crafting materials after you disassemble loot?

Hmm? No a level 30 player would be in the level 30 bracket. Still though, you're right about it being frustrating for new players. Even at the same level, the difference between good and bad gear is huge.
I mean the zones in the Dark zone that are marked by a players DZ level. There's a 8-9 zone, 10-16 zone etc.

At least that's how I think it works.

Simo

Then I entered the darkzone. Not sure if it's a European thing but I had like no people at all shooting at me when I extracted gear. Everyone waited neatly until the chopper arrived and helped if they saw me struggling with some enemies. I played a couple of hours in the DZ and only saw 1 or 2 rogue people.

I had some examples like this but we had more rogues coming after us though. Like a straight on Manhunt of 4 actively chasing me down and myself having to find cover, hide and flank them to get the drop and wipe them out.

Awesome fucking moments like that and with your buddies meant I've spent the majority of the open beta in DZ.

enemies are also extremely rare it seems. There were times I sprinted for 5 minutes without seeing 1 other player or enemy AI.

Yeah but as I just found out last night, enemies respawn after sometime at the various landmarks like Koreatown, Gas station, the construction tower and sports store etc. along with a named "boss". We friended another group who told us this and so 7 of us basically would hit each landmark to wipe out the enemies, move on to the next landmark, rinse and repeat until you come back to the start or your stash is completely full. lol

Perhaps you weren't seeing many enemies because other players already wiped out the landmark. lol

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I think

Nice, thanks.

Edit: HA, TOO LATE FOR THAT EDIT!
leuhkikovyak.gif

Calcium

Banned
I'd really like to see a Public Event system in the Dark Zones. It'd give players an objective to focus on and it'd be fun to see Rogue Agents trying to interfere with it. It'd beat just wandering around aimlessly looking for stuff to do.

It's with the Open Beta that I realized the game might severely lack replayability and with that, content. I am getting Destiny year 1 vibes from it, and add to this the disappointment that is the size of the final map - which is a mere fraction of the city and does not include any type of greenery (so no Central Park, great.) I will definitely wait the first month out and see if there's any burnout of content and if the Darkzone is actually balanced and not the clusterfuck it is right now.

Considering it's supposed to be a huge draw for this game, Dark Zone seems pretty devoid of stuff to do. Basically just wander around and hope that you run into one of the 3-4 random mob spawns?

I mean the zones in the Dark zone that are marked by a players DZ level. There's a 8-9 zone, 10-16 zone etc.

At least that's how I think it works.

So the level bracket dictates which players can play together. The DZ level assigned to an area indicates the level of the AI enemies.

Thus the beta has 2 brackets, 1-7 and 8-8. So no matter where you are in the DZ, you're still only with players in your level bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom