• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
Just played as a 4-player squad in the Dark Zone, that was dope as hell.

It's awesome how the dynamics change when you're in a group, and super interesting to see the behaviour of other players before and after they realise you're a 4-man squad.

Went rogue twice, both times because a squad mate accidentally hit another player who ran through the crossfire like an asshole. I don't know how but they should find a solution to that. Anyway, unfortunatel some squad mates were in the DZ for the first time so they had no idea what was going on with the Rogue thing. Still tense as hell though.

Such an awesome game, can't wait for the full release. It's going to be insane.

The solution is for people to watch where they are going and not run around like chickens with their heads cut off in an online cover shooter. I always take cover and join in to help or just go around if I am headed to another location. But yeah, having the full map should help as well.

TitusTroy

why aren't more players going Rogue in the beta?...you get more XP that way...especially if you see a lone player, just kill him and run...it's boring otherwise just fighting NPC enemies in the Dark Zone

Cob32

why aren't more players going Rogue in the beta?...you get more XP that way...especially if you see a lone player, just kill him and run...it's boring otherwise just fighting NPC enemies in the Dark Zone

I think people have realised the best gear comes from dz currency and the penalty for dying as a rogue is quite hard on your dz currency.

ironcreed

Banned

I see plenty of them. I just choose to lay low, take out rogues when I can and experience the tension of trying to get loot and extract it while fighting against the odds. That is fun for me.

TitusTroy

I think people have realised the best gear comes from dz currency and the penalty for dying as a rogue is quite hard on your dz currency.

I hope in the final game there are some nice 'Legendary' drops instead of always having to depend on vendors for the best gear

BLCKATK

Anybody trying to group up a bit on PS4? I'm still getting some mileage out of the test, trying to test out finding equipment with high health or skill values and seeing how that works out for me.

PSN: Azys_

Mentok

Banned
Not to go back to a topic that's already been discussed, but where are people getting this "10 missions in the main game" thing from? I didn't pre-order the DLC, so I'm hoping the main game has a decent amount of content beyond the DZ.

just saw a squad of 4 get annihilated by a sticky bomb when extracting their loot

funny shit

I'm glad people have had good experiences playing solo but I've found groups can be real dicks.. There's really nothing you can do.. theres no gentlemens agreement for throwing up the surrender emote

I feel... complete. Well, almost. I'm missing my All Weather pants :(

u4Ib.jpg

goonie

Not to go back to a topic that's already been discussed, but where are people getting this "10 missions in the main game" thing from? I didn't pre-order the DLC, so I'm hoping the main game has a decent amount of content beyond the DZ.
Did a quick search and found this...

"There’s a generous handful of each missions tied to each wing for the main campaign. There’s more than 10 main missions which are these combat focused, rollercoaster rides, more linear experiences, to balance out the complete freedom of the open world, which is a big part of the formula."

https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/15/th...ay-hard-mode-loot-and-free-updates-laid-bare/

TitusTroy

do you get XP points for injuring a Rogue player or only for being the one to kill him?...with NPC enemies they give you partial XP for injuring them

Mentok

Banned
Did a quick search and found this...

"There’s a generous handful of each missions tied to each wing for the main campaign. There’s more than 10 main missions which are these combat focused, rollercoaster rides, more linear experiences, to balance out the complete freedom of the open world, which is a big part of the formula."

https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/15/th...ay-hard-mode-loot-and-free-updates-laid-bare/

Ahh okay thanks. So over 10 main missions, side missions and then the additional post-game content. Cool!

TitusTroy

Beta on PC has only been out for a couple days and it's already rife with hacking.

This is why I hate PC gaming >.<

I find a lot of time it's not hackers...players sometimes are just really good and/or better then you and people automatically jump to the conclusion that it must be hackers

j-wood

Ahh then no I think that's it.

Man this game runs so much better on PC. But all of my friends are getting it on PS4 so I guess that's what I have to do.

I wish PC gaming didn't have the "its so expensive" stigma. A fucking 6 series nvidia card is basically as powerful as these consoles &#128529;

Ammogeddon

I was sat on the fence with this game after a couple of go's over the weekend. I had a little solo dabble in the DZ and just couldn't get on with it. I had another go this evening and did a matchmake group in the DZ, it was great. So glad I gave it a go. I'll probably pick this up now but I have my doubts about the solo campaign based on what I experienced. Hopefully the full game will prove me wrong.

One question, when I partied up I was in the hub and so were the others in my group. They managed to fast travel to the DZ while I walked the whole distance :(. Did I miss a fast travel point in the hub or something?

Lemondish

I find a lot of time it's not hackers...players sometimes are just really good and/or better then you and people automatically jump to the conclusion that it must be hackers

http://www.twitch.tv/mlgunit/v/48276846

Skip to about 3:20. Exactly what I've been running into the last hour or so.

I'm not the best player out there, but I know that being better doesn't automatically mean your bullets go through entire buildings with perfect accuracy.

void666

Banned
I was sat on the fence with this game after a couple of go's over the weekend. I had a little solo dabble in the DZ and just couldn't get on with it. I had another go this evening and did a matchmake group in the DZ, it was great. So glad I gave it a go. I'll probably pick this up now but I have my doubts about the solo campaign based on what I experienced. Hopefully the full game will prove me wrong.

One question, when I partied up I was in the hub and so were the others in my group. They managed to fast travel to the DZ while I walked the whole distance :(. Did I miss a fast travel point in the hub or something?

You can fast travel to the new mission. It's close to the DZ entrance.

Lemondish

What happened? Most of the time people just got way better gear.

A few things. Ran into a guy that was warping around, rapid firing single shot weapons (fast enough that you couldn't make out individual shots from the audio) with perfect accuracy, and shooting through buildings/obstacles. I linked a twitch stream above from a guy that ran into a similar hacker.

This is what kills multiplayer like this. Might have to try and convince my friends to go console on this one.

Mindlog

You can fast travel to the new mission. It's close to the DZ entrance.
Speaking of.
Is there any way to specify difficulty on a specific mission? Matchmaking for a mission is easy enough, but when I want to matchmake hard I don't know how to select a specific mission.

Also do the arrows in the party HUD indicate host? I hope it's not a sprint boost. If it is then how do you get a sprint boost?

:]

No problem! I was unsure as well, haha. So does that mean the missions we've played in the beta aren't even "main" missions?

Based on the in-game description of Safe Houses/Base of Operations, it seems the Madison Field Hospital & Subway Morgue missions are just missions tied to the Post Office base (the description says bases have missions tied to them).

Now I'm REALLY interested to see what the main missions are like.

Lemondish

There are issues on console as well, players in open beta can still glitch/hack and be invulnerable to damage in the dark zone. Came across 2 such players on ps4.

This is worrisome, no? Might be just a few bad apples, but it can have a pretty destabilizing effect on an entire dark zone instance.

that sucks. I could imagine in a loot game like this, it would be really frustrating if you lost something to cheating.

Just the money I was saving for a Lib.

Tainted

Is it possible to play through Subway Morgue on Hard ? Completed it twice already on Normal but not getting the Hard difficulty option like I do with Madison hospital.

The1Ski

Do we know what mods attach to the backpack? Any idea what they do? I'm guessing they would do simple things like increase carrying capacity or increase speed of weapon change.

Hawk269

Honestly if Ubi and Massive allowed trading people would sell in game items for money/psn or xbl cards

True, but still wish there was a way to do trading. Was playing with my Wife last night and I received items that would be useless for me since I was Level 8, but would of been great for her at Level 5.

Does anyone know, if you have multiple characters, do they share the same crates for items? In Destiny the bank could be shared amongst your characters and wondering if this has something the same. Would be good to be able to craft items for my other characters.

The problem I have is that the zones will come to be dominated by premade parties of people with the best gear and who play a shitload of the game. It's the nature of PvP in an RPG setting that I don't like. The feedback loop of "play game, get better" is distorted by the forcing function of "play a lot, get good items" and "have group of nolife friends, wreck everyone".

I always find that I have trouble with coop loot/PVP games because I'm either not as into them as my friends or the reverse. Somebody is always frustrated by somebody else's lack of dedication. I understand that there needs to be a challenge and that the competitive rush is a good thing. I also don't like PVP when it devolves into a question of who has played the most of the game rather than who is better at it.

Agree 100%. This has become abundantly clear to me in the past decade as I've had progressively more and more work and family responsibilities and very little time for gaming. There are entire games (almost entire genres) becoming shut off to me because I can't be competitive enough to join a group, and I don't have the time to become competitive.

The only way games like this work for me at all is if there's PvE content or I can get all of my friends (who have similarly little time) to team up with me; we may get wrecked by the super-dedicated but at least we play at the same level within our group.

SomTervo

Went rogue twice, both times because a squad mate accidentally hit another player who ran through the crossfire like an asshole. I don't know how but they should find a solution to that.

I'm really excited, too.

Re the crossfire/accidental shots leading to going Rogue, it might be good to add a "Give yourself up" mechanic. That way if you go Rogue insincerely, you can put your head on your hands and lie face down. The person you killed/stole from gets their shit back immediately. If you do it immediately, the others in the group might have sympathy and press X/Square to help you back up. If you do it after having been Rogue for a while, they might reckon "This guys playing for sympathy" and kill you anyway.

Might add a nice new option. It's not like anyone in the game can lie down so it would be a stand-out animation.

Of course, the game is 98% done now and nothing can be added.

goonie

Does anyone know, if you have multiple characters, do they share the same crates for items? In Destiny the bank could be shared amongst your characters and wondering if this has something the same. Would be good to be able to craft items for my other characters.
Yeah, the player stash in the base works the same way as the vault in Destiny. :)

manfestival

I cant decide if I want to buy this game. Is that a sign taht I shouldnt buy this game because I am not completely sold on it? I might just wait for reviews because this is pretty good for a beta but who knows the extend of that because it IS the beta after all

Raide

Would like to see a Bounty System implemented, similar to the Book of the Guilty from Dark Souls. If a player goes Rogue and the Man-hunt is initiated, It should notify everyone outside of the DZ as well and give players the option to fast travel to the DZ to help the manhunt.

I am sure some players would happily join The Cleaners .:p

True, but still wish there was a way to do trading. Was playing with my Wife last night and I received items that would be useless for me since I was Level 8, but would of been great for her at Level 5.

Wouldn't it be possible to die on purpose from a NPC or suicide and have your wife or squadmate pick up the loot that goes public and hope that it is the loot they want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom