• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That's probably the biggest potential problem. In a 3 day beta it's become somewhat of an issue. Let's say a month after the full release, any new players are going to get rocked when they enter the DZ.
Nope, not till they hit level 30.

If release is like beta, then new players will be protected. Unless someone really wants to troll, and intentionally makes a character they only play in a particular bracket. Most people won't do that.

Currently, when you hit 8... you're gated off from the sub-8 players. The bracket locks you out. I wouldn't be suprised if that happens with each DZ bracket as you level. There's no way they'll let 29's troll lower levels in the DZ 1,2,3 etc.

I suspect (and there are other ways to do it if this guess is wrong) that the brackets will adust to your current progress as you level. You'll always have access to lower DZ areas, but not the low level players in them. They'll be populated with players of your current bracket.

If release is like beta, then new players will be protected. Unless someone really wants to troll, and intentionally makes a character they only play in a particular bracket. Most people won't do that.

I think this will be WAY more prevalent than you think. It's very easy to basically setup a Twink in a lower bracket. If I've learned anything from how online communities will behave, people will totally setup low level alts and troll lower brackets. Heck I effectively did this during this beta.

lt519

Early play won't be a problem, it will be the end game. There will be a big imbalance when people finish the PvE content (10-20 hours?) and are ready for the DZ (which seems to be the focus of the end game). They'll be at max level fighting people that have been in the DZ for a hundred hours already. The barrier to entry for end game will be very hard for a lot of people to overcome if they continue to match make DZ based on PvE level. More so for people that buy the game a month after launch and only the hardcore are left. They have to match make instances on DZ level or player "power" or there will be to large of gaps between players in any instance just like the beta end game. It's a pretty close replica to how the real games end game will play out.

Nephix

Huh, started the game up for the first time today and apparently I lost roughly 10 hours and all the progress I made while playing yesterday.
Game did warn me that there were server errors and I'd have to restore an earlier save to continue playing but damn. Went from 20 hours played to 10-something. :/

If this is indicative of the full game, I'm out.

Radio

07cVYS4.jpg

Part of me hopes this game flops, so the devs get desperate and add in big monsters. Imagine wandering around in a snowstorm and hearing Jurassic Park style giant footstep sounds.

That being said, I had a ton of fun in the beta, and I'll miss this angry face:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think this will be WAY more prevalent than you think. It's very easy to basically setup a Twink in a lower bracket. If I've learned anything from how online communities will behave, people will totally setup low level alts and troll lower brackets. Heck I effectively did this during this beta.
There will always be trolls. Always.

But at least you have to jump through a few hoops this way. I mean, you cannot prevent it. And it won't be so common. Btw, at worst... it'd be the situation right now in beta. This is kinda as bad as it can be. Free beta, everyone crammed in a small DZ, everyone maxed.

One thing to help stave off twinks is at least DZ credits aren't shared across characters. So, another hurdle.

Geist-

Part of me hopes this game flops, so the devs get desperate and add in big monsters. Imagine wandering around in a snowstorm and hearing Jurassic Park style giant footstep sounds.
Thanks dude, you ruined the game for me. Now this is all I'll be able to think of when I'm playing.

Dick.
/s

There will always be trolls. Always.

But at least you have to jump through a few hoops this way. I mean, you cannot prevent it. And it won't be so common. Btw, at worst... it'd be the situation right now in beta. This is kinda as bad as it can be. Free beta, everyone crammed in a small DZ, everyone maxed.

One thing to help stave off twinks is at least DZ credits aren't shared across characters. So, another hurdle.

Well whatever, you think it won't be common, I think it will be. Not really much else to say until the rubber meets the road so to speak.

Thanks Ubi. For two days straight I'm unable to log in. I forgot my password and then when I tried to do password recovery I get no emails. When I try to log in on the website I see that my ip has been banned. It seems not to be an isolated incident as other people are having the same issue. What kind of garbage system is this?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone have a DZ group I can join? I'm DZ level 5 but keep getting my ass kicked at extraction and want to get some nice loot.

PSN: RoboPlato

Mindlog

Or how rad it would be if all of a sudden the battle from the first Avengers movie starts.

My review of The Division.

Trying to stand behind me? I'll open fire.
Not moving up with me when we're fighting NPCs? I'll open fire.
In a group of 3 and closing distance on me? I'll open fire.

I need very little reason to open fire.

Tovarisc

Trying to stand behind me? I'll open fire.
In a group of 3 and closing distance on me? I'll open fire.

I need very little reason to open fire.

Met player like you today :D He opened fire on me and my friend for no obvious reason and for his bad luck he did hit me with what must have been crit as it put him as rogue, he didn't live for long after that.

squidyj

Beta on PC has only been out for a couple days and it's already rife with hacking.

This is why I hate PC gaming >.<

I have noticed no hacking, perhaps you could describe your experiences?

Edit: What I did experience was a hilarious moment where I was shooting out signs and a guy came up and told me to stop. I kept at it and he started shooting me.
at 7k health and 30% dr from armor I facetanked his entire clip then turned around and cut him down with my liberator.

j-wood

Wow, that second mission was great. It also relieved my concerns that they would just be doing copy pasta missions like Destiny did.

Game reminds me of Mass Effect 1.

Haha, yeah, you're kind of right. The shooting feels really similar. Which is not a compliment.

But still, I had fun with the beta. My friends and I need a new loot based shooter to play since Destiny seems to be dead until next spring.

Tovarisc

I have noticed no hacking, perhaps you could describe your experiences?

Game has a lot desync issues going on in open beta, stuff like that can seem like cheating. Not saying there isn't possibly legit cheating going on also, but not all weirdness in there currently counts as cheating.

M.W.

Lol, had some random dude trying to lure me into shooting him and going rogue. He followed me for a few minutes...I lured him into the far corner of the DZ and one shotted him point blank with an MA1. The timer ran out, I got some DZ credit and moved along.

Lol, had some random dude trying to lure me into shooting him and going rogue. He followed me for a few minutes...I lured him into the far corner of the DZ and one shotted him point blank with an MA1. The timer ran out, I got some DZ credit and moved along.

Yeah one of my favorite moments was a guy following me around with clear intentions to kill me. Looked around, saw that we were alone, so I just blasted him, took his shit, and hid in the subway until the timer ran out. <shrug>

So refreshing to play a game with a little less structure.

Tovarisc

6000dps, liberator full clip at close range and I only take 1/4 of health away. I hope this gets fixed at launch.

Stamina and armor for sure scale way too well in comparison to other two primary stats. In release you better plan on stacking stamina and armor for DZ, if devs don't do some balancing across all elements of the game.

Stamina and armor for sure scale way too well in comparison to other two primary stats. In release you better plan on stacking stamina and armor for DZ, if devs don't do some balancing across all elements of the game.

Interesting. Considering the perks on weapons are tied to stats, the others will need to be balanced or that's really gonna cut down on the variety of stuff people will use.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Really? I'll flank around and go up/sideways to try to take out NPC's that are going for the other group. If they start to fire on me, I'll just leave and let them deal with the NPC's to their (possible) deaths. I'm not going to stick together if it means the NPC's are going to group up and possibly wipe us out quickly with a flank.

Tovarisc

Interesting. Considering the perks on weapons are tied to stats, the others will need to be balanced or that's really gonna cut down on the variety of stuff people will use.

Hopefully perks at endgame are worth of balancing your primary stats so you can access them, most of perks in beta gear are trash. Even then if stamina and armor keep scaling like they do in beta then super tanky builds in DZ most likely will outlive balanced or damage heavy builds, just like they do now with ease.

I'm also interested to see what they do with weapons. Most of weapons are quite good for PvE, but for PvP you better have well modded AR and M1A or you can go home. All kinds of funny when player with ~7k HP gets killed in 3 shots from M1A where mag out of 6k DPS Liberator doesn't make even dent to same players HP pool. M1A is so unbalanced and broken in beta.

Was worried about the controls and input lag, personally think it controls great. Main issue with the combat so far is that the AI is unpredictable to the point that it's tough to plot an effective course of action.

How many more hours is the beta running for? Would like a last taste of it before the painful fortnight between now and release.

Finalow

fluid on PC.
is it? I thought it was a game's problem. *playing on PS4* it's not really about input lag, it's just controls/movements being too fucking clunky. I have other complaints but that was my main issue.

then again I guess I enjoyed it, going rogue after one-shotting people with the shotgun 1cm away from their faces while they're waiting for the rope to drop was fun, for the most part.
hilarious when after killing the same people 2-3 times they just started shooting me on sight, rogue or not rogue. /madstatus

Tovarisc

Was worried about the controls and input lag, personally think it controls great. Main issue with the combat so far is that the AI is unpredictable to the point that it's tough to plot an effective course of action.

How many more hours is the beta running for? Would like a last taste of it before the painful fortnight between now and release.

10-ish hours left in beta, I think.

I like it how AI seems to be its own thing and not open for easy manipulation like AI in e.g. Destiny is too reactive to what you do so it can be easily manipulated on top of being just awful AI. With Division AI I have found best to prioritize targets [e.g. open combat by taking out grenade thrower, then rushing melee etc.] and keeping eye on own flanks, this AI loves to flank you while other enemies are suppressing you. I love it.

Klyka

Banned

I'm pretty sure if the game flops, they aren't going to add ANYTHING because they'll move on to the next project :p

This is me at open beta end. Not as decked out as closed beta but it's all good to me.
I am very much looking forward to release!

Finalow

^ how did you all get purple drops, haven't seen a single one.

Only way to get purples is by purchasing from vendors
I guess I missed that vendor? I only had the guy at the beginning of the dk with just blue items and the other vendor with yellow/legendary-whatever weapons.

M.W.

I'm pretty sure if the game flops, they aren't going to add ANYTHING because they'll move on to the next project :p

This is me at open beta end. Not as decked out as closed beta but it's all good to me.
I am very much looking forward to release!

Weird, I have all blues and my main stats are all higher.

Tovarisc

I guess I missed that vendor? I only had the guy at the beginning of the dk with just blue items and the other vendor with yellow/legendary-whatever weapons.

In every DZ checkpoint is vendor, each vendor has different stock and have 1-2 purple items in sale usually.

nillah

Banned
Stop jerking me off world and give me SOCOM

I mean, the beta plays well... but now I'm left with a real thirst to play Gears or a SOCOM

Hopefully perks at endgame are worth of balancing your primary stats so you can access them, most of perks in beta gear are trash. Even then if stamina and armor keep scaling like they do in beta then super tanky builds in DZ most likely will outlive balanced or damage heavy builds, just like they do now with ease.

I'm also interested to see what they do with weapons. Most of weapons are quite good for PvE, but for PvP you better have well modded AR and M1A or you can go home. All kinds of funny when player with ~7k HP gets killed in 3 shots from M1A where mag out of 6k DPS Liberator doesn't make even dent to same players HP pool. M1A is so unbalanced and broken in beta.

Yep, agreed. Getting the correct balance is incredibly difficult to get right (for any game really). But at least tweaking damage numbers is something they could theoretically do in the couple weeks before release.

garath

And my open beta weekend closed with a crash to desktop lol.

Good enough. I had fun. Keeping my preorder for sure.

Had some crazy artifacts and stuff first day. Looked like my video card was dying. But updated my drivers and all seemed to be well. Also had the side effect of completely stabilizing my framerate. Rock solid 60 the entire time with my i5 2500k @4.3 and 970. I think it was a mix of high with a couple tweaks. Same settings I used for closed beta so didn't even look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom