• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

One more betrayl at the hands of GAF to end the night. Hydruxxo with the quadruple grenade kill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fjtaveHy-s

They hunted us down after to the end of the map and pinned us down; our level 4 rogues cleared the timers but the 5s didn't make it out alive.

Still don't like the whole wait for someone else to go rogue meta, too much of a penalty to initiate so everyone just ends up trying to trick each other, they need a true PvP mode.

Ended the Beta around 4k/4k for my DPS and Health, no yellow weapon though.

P.S. If you're attacking a group of rogues holed up somewhere, keep in mind that they can hear game chat- a lot of people were surprised that we knew exactly when they were coming.

They absolutely need to have an option to turn that off. It's pretty lame when you are scheming and everyone can hear what you are saying.

Arrrammis

So... I think I found about the worst DZ exploit so far... we have 5 people in a TS channel, so we're all cooperating. 4 of us in a group, 1 solo. We go up to the usual manhunt holdout place, and we shoot the extra guy (without killing him) until the 4 people go rogue. The 4 go to the back of the area, and the non-rogue guy stands just barely in grenade range. So whenever somebody chucks a grenade up, they hit the non-rogue guy and go rogue themselves. Once we hit rogue level 2, there were always at least 8 people in the alley below us until the very end. It was an interesting social experiment, through the whole 30 minutes that we were rogue, the people down below trying to hunt us never stopped killing each other. One person would throw a grenade, him and his group would turn rogue, and immediately get killed by the people around them while they kept audibly wondering what happened. Eventually everyone except for one group of 4 left, but by that time our manhunt was at <30 seconds, so we got away pretty easily.

It was stupid, low, and hilarious. I wish I had recorded it, and I really hope they have some way of monitoring it in the full game.

P.S. If you're attacking a group of rogues holed up somewhere, keep in mind that they can hear game chat- a lot of people were surprised that we knew exactly when they were coming. An option to only talk to non-rogue people is very much needed.

Agent

I played the beta for the first time this weekend and really came away with mixed feelings. Overall, I had fun, but I'm not sure if it is something I can get into. I tend to be a solo player and I generally had more of a frustrating experience than a positive one. When I was in a group it was much more fun, but even then it got boring after awhile. Granted, the amount of content was very limited so I don't want to judge it off that. The control scheme also took quite some time to get used to, and wasn't always the most fluid experience.

I'm going to hold off until the full release and see what the reviews are. If there is more of an opportunity for solo play then I will likely pick it up. It does remind me of Destiny in a lot of ways, which I've put a lot of time into. That is generally a positive for me, but also a hesitation given how important content is to keep the game interesting.

Bolivar687

Banned
So... I think I found about the worst DZ exploit so far... we have 5 people in a TS channel, so we're all cooperating. 4 of us in a group, 1 solo. We go up to the usual manhunt holdout place, and we shoot the extra guy (without killing him) until the 4 people go rogue. The 4 go to the back of the area, and the non-rogue guy stands just barely in grenade range. So whenever somebody chucks a grenade up, they hit the non-rogue guy and go rogue themselves. Once we hit rogue level 2, there were always at least 8 people in the alley below us until the very end. It was an interesting social experiment, through the whole 30 minutes that we were rogue, the people down below trying to hunt us never stopped killing each other. One person would throw a grenade, him and his group would turn rogue, and immediately get killed by the people around them while they kept audibly wondering what happened. Eventually everyone except for one group of 4 left, but by that time our manhunt was at <30 seconds, so we got away pretty easily.

It was stupid, low, and hilarious. I wish I had recorded it, and I really hope they have some way of monitoring it in the full game.

P.S. If you're attacking a group of rogues holed up somewhere, keep in mind that they can hear game chat- a lot of people were surprised that we knew exactly when they were coming.

That's one thing they need to get right for the release, so you can coordinate ambushes without giving it away. It's weird because in that Dark Zone reveal gameplay video they made it look like that was the case.

CLBridges

I do like the overall gameplay and setting for this game, but I don't think I'll be in for day one. I just can't pinpoint it but it's just something about this game that's not drawing me in like I thought it would. It's only the beta so I look forward to the game releasing and I can read some Gaffers opinions and go from there on full purchase.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I'll be glad when it's more spread out in the full map. Tonight the DZ is nothing but a free for all deathmatch. Every single person I try to help and every person I see turns on me and I honestly can't do shit. People just running around killing each other.

Vibrant

Banned
It takes way too long to kill other players in the DZ. I throw a grenade at people's feet and they don't die? PvP is a borefest.

Yeah, this is not for me. It lacks the fun combat and interesting settings of destiny and instead offers clunky cover shooting with terrible ai and cluttered city streets. Meh.

The combat is what was going to make or break this game for me. The DZ was fun for a while, but the combat itself is pretty basic. Even with an interesting loot grind, I don't think I could stay interested for too long.

lt519

Yeah, I'll be glad when it's more spread out in the full map. Tonight the DZ is nothing but a free for all deathmatch. Every single person I try to help and every person I see turns on me and I honestly can't do shit. People just running around killing each other.

The Beta definitely wore thin after a full weekend of play. But then again the Destiny Beta did too. Hopefully it's not a quarter of the game like the Destiny Beta was though. It'll be worth to just play and enjoy for a few weeks, but if they want any type of end game crowd they need to sort out some major flaws with the DZ. Needs some variety as well, at least Destiny had different themed locales and enemies. If the full game is more of the same of the Beta, like literally just more streets and cars, I could even see myself passing until more content comes out.

Yeah, this is not for me. It lacks the fun combat and interesting settings of destiny and instead offers clunky cover shooting with terrible ai and cluttered city streets. Meh.

I definitely got a GTA vibe from how it controls. It's not quite as clunky but just doesn't have the satisfying gunplay and precision I get from other games.

Otherwise the game is interesting. I think I'll probably pass on this for now, mostly because I just don't have the time to play another RPGish MMOish whatever the hell you classify it as.

I'm down day 1 with season pass gold edition. Have been since game was revealed.

I'll use this to fill my RPG/co-op fill. I'll have Rainbow Six for my FPS. SF5 for a competitive fighter.

Set on games for a couple years lol.

So, what's your plan for the full game later?

1. Power level on pve until you reach the level cap then go to the DZ
2. Go to the DZ as you level up your pve level
3. Camp in the lower level DZ brackets

The times I had in the dark zone today to end the beta were amazing. The DZ server we were in was one of the best:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CrazedArabMan/video/15000739

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CrazedArabMan/video/15000726

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CrazedArabMan/video/15000717

Of course this doesn't include some other great moments like taking down a full squad who were in manhunt mode camping up in the ladder area and other crazy shenanigans we had with randoms. Public chat in DZ is a must.

Pretty cool, I just got done with this beta. Had a lot of fun chasing down rogues, had some tense fire fights. All they need to do is fix the DZ performance (the weird hiccups that weren't there in CBT) and tweak some stuff here and there and I'm golden on the X1 version.

I did play the PC version and woof, man that KB/Mouse so smooth with it, but most friends will be playing on X1, so that's where I'll be heading.

UberLevi

Just had a strange encounter that involved about a dozen rogue agents and a lot of grenades. Went from DZ Rank 8 to Rank 10 in a single firefight. Maybe I can actually grab that Liberator before the beta closes.

Awwwwwwwwwwww DZ must've gave you fool spoons of premium salt...awwwwwwww.

So far I'm pre-loading on both consoles just not sure yet which one I'm keeping, waiting for DF's review.

ironcreed

Banned
The Beta definitely wore thin after a full weekend of play. But then again the Destiny Beta did too. Hopefully it's not a quarter of the game like the Destiny Beta was though. It'll be worth to just play and enjoy for a few weeks, but if they want any type of end game crowd they need to sort out some major flaws with the DZ. Needs some variety as well, at least Destiny had different themed locales and enemies. If the full game is more of the same of the Beta, like literally just more streets and cars, I could even see myself passing until more content comes out.

I love the game, but it turned into pure bullshit tonight. Camping at extraction points, getting killed even after healing someone and helping them fight off rogues, not even being able to mind my own business and just fight the AI guys, etc. It was just a giant free for all and I did not get one thing extracted. But I did lose a level from dying, lol. Bring on the bigger map.

george_us

How is GAF feeling about the combat in this game? I played the XB1 alpha back in January and I came out totally unimpressed with the combat. The cover system felt clunky and unintuitive, definitely not up to the gunplay of some of the better AAA games that have been released in the last year, like Halo, R6:S, COD, Titanfall, Destiny, etc.
I personally loved the combat. Felt weighty without being frustrating at all. And I had no problem with the cover system. I'm going to wait until reviews come out to see how much content is in the game but, if there's a substantial amount, I'll definitely be there day one.

M_A_C

This game has committed the ultimate insult:
CbyngVVUUAE1hkE.jpg:large

Turned me into a hipster d-bag! Skinny jeans and all.

Randy42

Played this with multiple people over the course of the beta. Not a single one of them (prob 10+) sees it as a $60 game they have faith in without taking a wait and see approach to it for a week after launch or so to make sure the game actually has content in it. Seems like having an open beta while putting almost nothing to do in it kind of turned some people off :/

A few were considering GMGs price until the realized it was a uplay key, who would've thought steam held that much sway with them when the game still needs to launch uplay to work anyway lmao

UberLevi

Well I just ragequit. Had 6 DZ items and some guys waited for me to clear out the extraction and send up a flare before killing me outright. The PvP isn't really intuitive and the existence of it only promotes trolling and taking advantage of players rather than fair play.

Maddocks

Buying it no doubt, but I'm kinda miffed about the rouge system. The whole team shouldn't be punished if a teammate decides to go crazy. Last couple of days some guys just kept walking into the fire and causing rouge.

DZ is def going to become a full on troll zone. Because it really doesn't punish you for going rouge, you fire at someone a couple of times, you make them a little weak and then you do a gesture to say accident and while they are low health, BANG full auto. But overall it is a fun game, just little things that need to be addressed.

oakenhild

Well I just ragequit. Had 6 DZ items and some guys waited for me to clear out the extraction and send up a flare before killing me outright. The PvP isn't really intuitive and the existence of it only promotes trolling and taking advantage of players rather than fair play.

And I just had the opposite experience. I ran into an extraction with a full gear bag right as the helicopter arrives. 4 dudes surrounding the rope and others in the area. Get the gear on the rope somehow, and grenades are falling. I end up dying, but my gear is all extracted safely. Intense!

oakenhild

One thing I noticed compared to the closed beta. I got quite a few less cosmetic items. In fact, I think I only saw 2 cosmetic drops in the 3 hours I played. In the closed beta I had a long list of stuff.

ironcreed

Banned
Buying it no doubt, but I'm kinda miffed about the rouge system. The whole team shouldn't be punished if a teammate decides to go crazy. Last couple of days some guys just kept walking into the fire and causing rouge.

DZ is def going to become a full on troll zone. Because it really doesn't punish you for going rouge, you fire at someone a couple of times, you make them a little weak and then you do a gesture to say accident and while they are low health, BANG full auto. But overall it is a fun game, just little things that need to be addressed.

I agree. The game is amazing, but the DZ can turn into a troll infested clusterfuck. I'm just glad that it is going to be more spread out and with more events in the full product.

GameSeeker

Indeed. The Dark Zones are a griefers dream. The penalty for griefing folks is so small that people will be going rogue all day long. It will be fun for people that like griefing and terrible for folks that prefer cooperation.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One thing I noticed compared to the closed beta. I got quite a few less cosmetic items. In fact, I think I only saw 2 cosmetic drops in the 3 hours I played. In the closed beta I had a long list of stuff.

I got most of my cosmetic items from giving sodas and water to NPCs.

Randy42

I got a ton of them but 90% were jackets and hats. Got 1 shirt drop, 1 pants drop, and 3 shoe ones. And like 10+ of jackets and hats.

I am hoping for better matchmaking to redo missions on hard, considering they drop parts in the beta. I assume will be able to craft good weapons anyway (see the side mission blueprints), avoiding DZ

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Nope. I must have had 40 cosmetic items (including 4 full sets) and 7 weapon skins. But I know how to farm them.

I'm stuck with a couple pretty ugly military hats. Really wanted to get a toque.

DZ is fun, but man I really didn't appreciate going Rogue because some guy decided to use the same cover as me and somehow got himself in my line of fire.

Encounters with rando non-rogue agents remind me a bit of the original DayZ mod. Seen quite a few people notice me coming and then scamper away.

squidyj

1. Figure out what the fuck is going on.
2. Do the thing.

I have every reason to expect that the economy and the best progression paths are going to be significantly different on live as compared to beta.

I am hoping for better matchmaking to redo missions on hard, considering they drop parts in the beta. I assume will be able to craft good weapons anyway (see the side mission blueprints), avoiding DZ

Right, crafting is still a mystery in the beta. I think we can craft up to purple gears later, but I doubt the high-end orange ones are craftable. We can get them from very rare loot from level 30 hard (and beyond, if any) missions, perhaps. In fact, I prefer it that way. I'm not going to avoid DZ entirely, but I'll invest my time on pve most of the time, if possible.

I didn't even do the DZ this time around. I just did all of the SP content and stopped. I'll worry about all of that other stuff once the full game releases.

If someone goes rogue and kills you then you should be given the opportunity for revenge with your next life. It's bullshit when some douche unexpectedly kills you before you get to extract items and yet you can't get revenge on him and your items back without yourself going rogue with your next life.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

I can already see people breaking their keyboards and controllers over this game. Just imagine later you run around with high-end loot, you searched so long for new and better gloves. you arrive at the extraction point, everything looks save, you press F and then suddenly 3 people come out, kill you and steal your shit, you can't do anything because you're stuck at the "put bag on chopper" animation.

Gonna be interesting to see how this turns out in the end but the frustration factor will be pretty damn high if going rogue doesn't give players a harsher punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom