• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bargeparty

Just throwing in my 2 cents as I haven't been able to follow the thread closely.

I hope this is less of an issue in the full game but it is way way too easy to accidently go rogue. Not only that, but people will turn on you even if was clearly an accident or some jackass stepped in front of you sniper shot.

Maybe if it wasn't damage based and you actually had to kill someone in order to go rogue.

Playing on ps4 and just got killed by 3 players floating in the air about 3 stories above me. Hopefully they fix crap like this because it could really hurt the dark zone.

nahlakhai

How is GAF feeling about the combat in this game? I played the XB1 alpha back in January and I came out totally unimpressed with the combat. The cover system felt clunky and unintuitive, definitely not up to the gunplay of some of the better AAA games that have been released in the last year, like Halo, R6:S, COD, Titanfall, Destiny, etc.

Just throwing in my 2 cents as I haven't been able to follow the thread closely.

I hope this is less of an issue in the full game but it is way way too easy to accidently go rogue. Not only that, but people will turn on you even if was clearly an accident or some jackass stepped in front of you sniper shot.

Maybe if it wasn't damage based and you actually had to kill someone in order to go rogue.

Yea its hard to tell if people accidently hit you or are trying to kill you.

Klyka

Banned
How is GAF feeling about the combat in this game? I played the XB1 alpha back in January and I came out totally unimpressed with the combat. The cover system felt clunky and unintuitive, definitely not up to the gunplay of some of the better AAA games that have been released in the last year, like Halo, R6:S, COD, Titanfall, Destiny, etc.

I love the combat a lot.

I am lukewarm on the PvP combat because player's erratic movement and such is pretty exploitable and silly in these kind of games but the PvE is on point.

Playing on ps4 and just got killed by 3 players floating in the air about 3 stories above me. Hopefully they fix crap like this because it could really hurt the dark zone.

Tell me about it. I have been floating in the air on numerous occasions, stuck on random objects and unable to fast travel, stuck in my base and unable to leave and all the textures turned to ps2 textures and I had to play hot lava because anytime I walked on a ps2 texture road or sidewalk I would infinitely fall through the map until I was reset amd it would happen over and over again until I restarted the game.

is anyone skeptical of the amount of content planned for this game? randomly decided to jump into this beta and had a pretty fun time, but i'm left feeling like it's too close to the Destiny formula and will suffer the same issue of being too lean on actual content.

Flaxh

kCZvvoI.jpg

So this is it! Still managed to get the legendary AR tonight because everybody was going insane in the DZ, trying to go on a manhunt and I killed a few rogues and farmed 4K funds really quick.

I hope you can get good loot randomly or from drops because grinding for money/dz money to buy all the good gear is kind of boring. Like grinding honor/ justice points in wow.

Combat is still a mess compared to most tps games. Cover system and general movement is still sluggish, clunky and unintuitive. Cover and vault bittons should be swapped and the game could really use a crouch button or a jump button, considering all the objects my player has been stuck on. I have had to teleport or reset the game so many times. Cover mechanics and shooting shouldn't feel like this, in this day and age

Dynasty8

Really bad. It just doesn't feel right and the satisfaction isn't all there. I find things to be very clunky and sometimes things just don't register. Also, the environments and enemies are all too common and bland/generic.

It has some cool ideas like the dark zone, but delivery is weak IMHO.

I'm almost certain that his game is going to be ripped part by reviewers.

is anyone skeptical of the amount of content planned for this game? randomly decided to jump into this beta and had a pretty fun time, but i'm left feeling like it's too close to the Destiny formula and will suffer the same issue of being too lean on actual content.

I dunno, what do you enjoy doing most in the game? If you're playing the game to collect loot, there's no way they will ever be able to make enough content for you, like Destiny. But if you find the PvE or the DZ fun enough that you'd continue to play even if you've collected all the loot you want, then there should be enough to keep you going.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope you can get good loot randomly or from drops because grinding for money/dz money to buy all the good gear is kind of boring. Like grinding honor/ justice points in wow.

I really hope so too. Dark Zone grinding is hopefully just one path toward certain weapons.

Tovarisc

Combat is still a mess compared to most tps games. Cover system and general movement is still sluggish, clunky and unintuitive. Cover and vault bittons should be swapped and the game could really use a crouch button or a jump button, considering all the objects my player has been stuck on. I have had to teleport or reset the game so many times. Cover mechanics and shooting shouldn't feel like this, in this day and age

Comparing TPS gameplay to FPS gameplay, u wot? Apples and oranges come into mind.

Edit: I can't read apparently, apologies Radical Edward!

Klyka

Banned

I played the closed beta for 13 hours and the open beta for 7.

I think I'll be fine with getting my money's worth XD

z3phon

I dunno, what do you enjoy doing most in the game? If you're playing the game to collect loot, there's no way they will ever be able to make enough content for you, like Destiny. But if you find the PvE or the DZ fun enough that you'd continue to play even if you've collected all the loot you want, then there should be enough to keep you going.
I enjoyed the PvE missions but DZ was a borefest even with a group of people. Maybe I'm missing the point of DZ but what do we do there?
All I see are players just running around in circles and every now and then just randomly shooting at each other. Maybe voice chat will make it more fun, either people aren't chatting or the voice chat isn't working in the beta on ps4.

Klyka

Banned
I enjoyed the PvE missions but DZ was a borefest even with a group of people. Maybe I'm missing the point of DZ but what do we do there?
All I see are players just running around in circles and every now and then just randomly shooting at each other. Maybe voice chat will make it more fun, either people aren't chatting or the voice chat isn't working in the beta on ps4.

There's NPCs at the landmarks, they respawn crazy fast. They are also at the extraction zones.
I basically just run around the map and kill NPC groups or grab chests. Sometimes I help hunt rogues.

In the full game the DZ will have quests and missions.

Hawk269

I hope they sort out the hitching while in the DZ. It was fine on Thursday & Friday, but Saturday and Today, when running down a street every 8 seconds or so it would hitch and then be fine for another 8-10 seconds as you continue to run/walk down a street. Also noticed it while fighting the AI where it would hit lag and hitch a bit. It is perfect in SP and even being a group outside of the DZ it runs perfect, but over the last 2 days a hitching has started and is very annoying.

Outside of that, I decided to bring my Wife into the DZ. She is more of RPG player, we played ESO and she is not that great at shooters or being quick with a gun, but after spending most of yesterday in PVE figured it would be interesting. We had a BLAST. We each extracted about 10 items each. I think we had a total of 6 extractions and only once we were killed by 2 Rogue players. Funny enough, a group of us hunted them down and took our vengeance.

We also ventured into the sub-way. Just exploring and some Level 7 player seemed like he was tagging along. We walk into a large narrow room with a entry and each end and all of a sudden my wife and I are covered in red indicating a grenade and sure enough, he turned on us. We thought he was tagging along. He backed up but we took him out. Threw a turret down which kept him busy while my wife and I just pounced on him and took him out.

We had several great encounters. My Wife took a high position while I waited for extraction, there were other players around but everyone was being good until a Rogue agent came and took out one guy, my wife fired on him from a long distance, but he took her out..I was able to extract during this and me and 3 random people chased him down...he screwed up and ended getting boxed in at a dead end. He had good cover until one guy dropped a turret and me and one another threw 2 grenades each and took him out. It was just a fantastic time and a lot of fun. Proximety chat worked great as we waited for extraction I would tell my Wife who I was targeting and then that person would speak up and say "I'm good...not going to attack, just here to extract". We did this a few times and had such great success with doing it this way.

Totally my bad and misread that for some reason. Apologies!
lol, no worries. Yeah, I was saying tps because he mentioned fps games for some reason. It was kind of confusing. I really haven't played a tps game this janky in a long time and it's not good jank like EDF but frustrating. It feels like Alpha Protocol, at times

PtKid

Banned

I find it nearly unplayable for such a fast paced game when shit hits the fan!

It's been like this since last year, I raised these concerns many times, being here or to Ubisoft repa when I played it.

I find the cover system too slow and clunky and also have my issues with the bullet sponge enemies, another issue that was raised many many months ago and we were told that things had been improved and we were playing a really old build.

squidyj

I played the closed beta for 13 hours and the open beta for 7.

I think I'll be fine with getting my money's worth XD

so in the beta it works out like this

1. Kill NPCs for keys, loot, darkzone xp and funds. Eventually your loot will get good enough that npc loot doesn't help anymore. NPCs are found mostly at Landmarks.

2. While You're running around killing NPCs look for Dark Zone Chests (they have a specific model) for even more loot and funds. Again you will eventually outpace this loot.

3. Go rogue and kill other players. You can loot their broken corpses, this will set you as rogue for a time, putting a bounty on your head. if you live out your rogue status you get some credits and xp depending on the bounty that was on your head which increases with the players you kill.

4. Kill rogues, collect bounties, collect loot from their broken corpses.

5. Buy the best gear in the game from Checkpoint vendors and the safe room vendor.
The Safe Room is the only place in the beta you can get yellow 'high end' tier weapons, there's 2 of them, an assault rifle and an LMG. Meanwhile the checkpoint vendors each carry a purple quality gear item and a purple quality mod and some blue quality stuff. each one has a different stock and vendors on different servers have different stock, you check out as many of these as you can until you find the stuff you want to buy with all of the dark zone funds you've been generating.

6. There is no 6.

I find it nearly unplayable for such a fast paced game when shit hits the fan!

It's been like this since last year, I raised these concerns many times, being here or to Ubisoft repa when I played it.

I find the cover system too slow and clunky and also have my issues with the bullet sponge enemies, another issue that was raised many many months ago and we were told that things had been improved and we were playing a really old build.

Yeah, when shit gets crazy you have no options. Everything is too slow. Borderlands and destiny have similar match ups of weaker players getting swarmed by stronger enemies or even same level/low level enemies but since it is a fps, you have options like quickly strafing. All you have in the division, is a clunky cover system which makes it easier to get overwhelmed by baseball wielding enemies who don't die no matter how many times you shoot them in the face or melee them. It can be pretty immersion breaking at times.

Yeah, when shit gets crazy you have no options. Everything is too slow. Borderlands and destiny have similar match ups of weaker players getting swarmed by stronger enemies or even same level/low level enemies but since it is a fps, you have options like quickly strafing. All you have in the division, is a clunky cover system which makes it easier to get overwhelmed by baseball wielding enemies who don't die no matter how many times you shoot them in the face or melee them. It can be pretty immersion breaking at times.

You sir need a good shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9ssfBe5Ek

Yup :(

Wanderer5

Decided to dive into Dark Zone one more time heh, and was able to get a few fights out of this time, including a really fun one at the blockade area which I moved and went in cover bit by bit behind the enemies while they moved to where I originally was heh.

That fight was pretty much a good climax of sort for me, before extracting some stuff afterward (including a blue weapon from the blockade, which I tried out a little on a small fight), and finally calling it. Maybe could have pushed for a purple item least, but eh I had enough.:p

2016-02-21_00024_zpswjnteajs.jpg

You sir need a good shotgun.

Most likely. All my weapons seem like poo, I definitely need to grab better ones. Just saying you don't always have the luxury of having gear to take out those kinds of enemies. At least in borderlands, I could accomplish things when I was under leveled for an area. Something about shooting human enemies in the face so many times and they don't stagger or even react breaks immersion for me. Maybe if they weren't just wearing hoodies and had armor or something on? I don't know. I am having fun planning attacks with friends and stuff, but it is more for the social aspect rather than the gunplay or mechanics

UberLevi

I really dig the Dark Zone, but I honestly hate people who just run up and kill you. I don't feel like being attacked by other players really adds anything to my experience.

I really dig the Dark Zone, but I honestly hate people who just run up and kill you. I don't feel like being attacked by other players really adds anything to my experience.

The thing is (and this is big in any online game) a lot of people go out of their way to piss off other humans. This is why people hack, this is why people gank, this is why people kill you in the dz. I mean its fine thats what the dz is for, but there is really no reason to kill, you dont get good loot from people you kill.

Technically there's not really much to the DZ, it's just setting the table for some unstructured player on player interaction. A fair amount of the time, it's not very exciting and not much happens. But it allows for really intense unpredictable moments that you don't generally get in these kinda games. That all being said I think it's totally reasonable to not be particularly enthused with the DZ.

Anyway, if you enjoyed the PvE missions they had, there's probably going to be more. So you got that going for you regardless.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm not 100% certain on the game yet, but what all do you have to do for the beta reward(s)? Every available mission in the beta, or do you just have to play it in general?

Raoh

Stop jerking me off world and give me SOCOM

I mean, the beta plays well... but now I'm left with a real thirst to play Gears or a SOCOM

You are not alone.

I just told my Destiny friends that this reminds me of a mix between socom and the last of us multiplayer.

The Socom pace and access to weapons with the the last of us environment and brutality.

I really do hope Sony recognizes that there is a real thirst for an Authentic Socom Successor.

I somehow ran into a DZ rank 7 player while being DZ rank 12? Well, they decided to open fire on me and go rogue... It didn't end well for that person.

There is a stagger animation

Hmmm, my guns my really suck. I empty a magazine into them and they keep running straight at me. Is it damage based or do you have to hit them in a certain area. I have seen them try and juke maybe I have been confused and that is the stagger animation. My bad

Lima

But it adds to my experience. I just like to fuck shit up and make people real salty. This is what feeds me.

Wanderer5

I'm not 100% certain on the game yet, but what all do you have to do for the beta reward(s)? Every available mission in the beta, or do you just have to play it in general?

When I logged in first time today, I saw that I got a reward of sort, but the message went away before I understood what it was.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah, this is not for me. It lacks the fun combat and interesting settings of destiny and instead offers clunky cover shooting with terrible ai and cluttered city streets. Meh.

Raoh

I just got killed, alot, before I understood what was happening in the DZ. But I tried it the next day, got an invite to a group, didn't really do much, but I did get a tour of the area without getting killed, often.

Tried again, solo and was able to get into some really fun firefights. Once you get your rhythm, learn the map, etc I really enjoyed it.

They can't keep up with the crowd that wants loot, unless they do supplies and camp control like The Last of Us Multiplayer did that really made it interesting. But the can add random objectives, side runs, extractions to keep it interesting.

Taking control of blocks/neighborhoods would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom