• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question. You think there will be subfactions in The Division faction. I mean why else would everyone in The Division faction be killing each other in the Dark Zone?

Does anyone have info or an article or something that describes what will be in the full game compared to the beta?

Some gaffer mentioned there will be "events" in the DZ, for example.

Hawk269

I have to echo this as well...

Played on both platforms and everyone seemed to be in proximity chat on xbox while nobody was on playstation.

Me and my wife had the same experience. On Xbox a lot of people were using proximity chat and we were able to coordinate extractions with people around. We would just call out peoples names that we were targeting to protect each other while we extract. Majority of the time, people would respond saying they are good and just there to extract. It was quite amusing seeing people having guns aimed at their heads just in case they thought it was a good idea to go rogue while extracting.

Archpath1

Me and my wife had the same experience. On Xbox a lot of people were using proximity chat and we were able to coordinate extractions with people around. We would just call out peoples names that we were targeting to protect each other while we extract. Majority of the time, people would respond saying they are good and just there to extract. It was quite amusing seeing people having guns aimed at their heads just in case they thought it was a good idea to go rogue while extracting.

Yea kept my eyes on player when extracting, when I see that gun switch for a grenade trying for a multikill
I'm like LOOK OUT!

Axial

Well, after bitching and moaning about the DZ, I've finaly spent the last couple of hours of the beta doing solo runs inside that zone, and I gotta admint it wasn't all that bad as I expected it to be. Reaching the level cap was pretty easy, mostly by helping random players on top of the parking garage and killing the mobs that spawn there once you initiate an extraction - made alot of DZ xp/credits that way pretty quickly which in return allowed me to buy some nice purple gear. There was the usual backstabbing scumbaggery here and there, players trying to shoot you in the back to steal loot, but people for the most part seemed to get along nicely.
There's definitely some potential fun to be had in solo'ing the DZ if you're smart about it and don't go rogue. It also opens up a whole different roleplaying aspect of the game. I still hate the extraction routine though, cause it leaves you at a big disadvantage if there's no one around to help you out against mobs spawning in or other players trying to kill you for loot. Wish they'd give us atleast the possibility to exchange contaminated gear for DZ credits when leaving the vendor checkpoints, maybe make it like an unlockable skill or a perk? Would improve the experience for solo players inside the DZ quite significantly while still maintaining that risk vs reward aspect of this part of the game, imho.

As for the PvE and story driven part of the game, I'm getting a huge "Spec Ops: The Line" vibe from the setting and subject matter. I'm very curious to see in which direction the story will take us, though I do expect the devs to introduce zombie like elements further down the road since it's so heavily referenced inside the games world.

Lima

Serious question. You think there will be subfactions in The Division faction. I mean why else would everyone in The Division faction be killing each other in the Dark Zone?

Why do the guardians kill each other in the crucible in Destiny? Because they are bored of PvE that's why.

It's a game man. There will be no deeper reason.

Jira

i was really looking forward to proximity chat.. But after 8hrs of playing/DZ I only heard 1 other player for a couple brief seconds and it was in a different language than mine. (PS4) it would be way more fun if people would trash talk/proximity chat.. Maybe everyone's in group chat? Is my experience the same as yours on console or am I just really unlucky

Nearly every player on PC had mics. The big issue stems from PS4 not having a mic shipped with it.

Why do the guardians kill each other in the crucible in Destiny? Because they are bored of PvE that's why.

Well the crucible is a training arena and in the DZ some agents go rogue, plenty do not. So at least in these games there is some sort of justification for the behavior.

But in Destiny that's the type of game modes...team deathmatch, rift, last man standing, etc. The Division needs a back story on why the Dark Zone is so hostile at times since you can't really choose a game mode and a reason you would turn. I love the hell out of it. There's really just no explanation to it unlike standard shooters with different game modes.

Jira

Oh I was just thinking about something that I'm unsure if people are aware of. So when you go into a contaminated area, a blue bar appears above your health and has a filter icon next to it. In the final game this will actually run out the more time you spend in a contaminated area so you're not going to be able to just stand in them. There were areas where rogues would hide out but they won't be able to in the final game. I'm unsure though why they didn't have your filter run out in the beta? Why not test this mechanic now? Maybe to insure more loot got extracted for testing?

Tovarisc

Share those screenshots ;)

Game was very aggressive with not loading assets after certain distance meaning you could watch down the street and see absolutely nothing expect flat environment, or buildings missing blocks out of them. There was some good stuff close to red border and gave small taste.

Also there is DZ safe house just across the street from that place where level 9 cleaners were, NW corner of beta DZ. Door into it is facing towards cleaner area, with another door in alley.

Here are pics I took; http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=rvat5z7W

Edit:
Oh I was just thinking about something that I'm unsure if people are aware of. So when you go into a contaminated area, a blue bar appears above your health and has a filter icon next to it. In the final game this will actually run out the more time you spend in a contaminated area so you're not going to be able to just stand in them. There were areas where rogues would hide out but they won't be able to in the final game. I'm unsure though why they didn't have your filter run out in the beta? Why not test this mechanic now? Maybe to insure more loot got extracted for testing?

That blue bar is your "HP" when inside of contaminated area. If your filter level matches level of contaminated area that bar will stay at 100%, but if you go to e.g. level 2 contaminated area with level 1 filter [was possible in beta] that blue bar would start to shrink. Once it hits zero you are dead. If contaminated area is small enough and not too much above level of your filter you could run through before dying.

Klyka

Banned
But in Destiny that's the type of game modes...team deathmatch, rift, last man standing, etc. The Division needs a back story on why the Dark Zone is so hostile at times since you can't really choose a game mode and a reason you would turn. I love the hell out of it. There's really just no explanation to it unlike standard shooters with different game modes.

The explanation is basically "humans and their greed/survival instinct".
The Dark Zone is off the grid. What happens in there,stays in there, in the context of the game.
The Division Agents have all odds stacked against them, are stuck in a hostile environment and are supposed to give their lives for the common good.

Not all of these people are saints with a heart of gold just because they are part of the Division. They get scared. they don't want to die, they want to live. They become selfish and think they need a leg up on their enemies to see their mission through.
So they go into the Dark Zone, a place isolated from the rest of the world and they see another Agent get a piece of equipment that they believe should be theirs. They could use it better. They might need it. They may just plain WANT it cause their strained psyche tells them to.
So they gun him down. They know no one will ever know. If he doesn't come back out, he'll just be another victim claimed by the DZ. The chopper pilot doesn't know. He has no idea who those people are. He might say back at base "some guys in flapjacks shot some guy in a cap" and that's it.

It's human nature when you enter a lawless place.
Some follow self imposed rules, others don't care.

Quazar

I didn't get proximity chat on Xbox. I also had issues with not hearing other party members. Strange as hell. Some people suggested I have a block on family settings.

Lima

No if your filter lvl matches the lvl of the zone you are in it won't run out. The bar is only runs down when you go into an area that your filter lvl can't match. Then it runs down to let you know before you take health damage.

Tratorn

Proximity chat on PS4 just was bugged as hell, but a lot of people of course still used a mic. Just in party chat, not ingame. When I played with randoms or friends we always had to open a party. The broken chat was hopefully only a beta problem and will work in the final version.

deoee

tumblr_mkwp5cDj3w1qdd5voo1_250.gif

EL CUCO

Proximity chat on PS4 just was bugged as hell, but a lot of people of course still used a mic. Just in party chat, not ingame. When I played with randoms or friends we always had to open a party. The broken chat was hopefully only a beta problem and will work in the final version.
Same exact experience over here.

Jira

No if your filter lvl matches the lvl of the zone you are in it won't run out. The bar is only runs down when you go into an area that your filter lvl can't match. Then it runs down to let you know before you take health damage.

Hmm, that kinda makes the filter system pointless outside of a gating mechanic that you only have to care about a couple times then never again. It would be more interesting if the filter wore out so you can't just spend time in those areas.

ultron87

It is sad that system level Party Chat will probably become the go to for Dark Zone grouping. I love the idea of hearing a group of players coming down the alley way by hearing their voice chat around the corner and having to decide if you'll hide or reveal yourself. Or not being able to go "hey, let's kill this guy" without that guy hearing you.

Bolivar687

Banned

The Dark Zone is off the grid. What happens in there,stays in there, in the context of the game.
The Division Agents have all odds stacked against them, are stuck in a hostile environment and are supposed to give their lives for the common good.

Not all of these people are saints with a heart of gold just because they are part of the Division. They get scared. they don't want to die, they want to live. They become selfish and think they need a leg up on their enemies to see their mission through.
So they go into the Dark Zone, a place isolated from the rest of the world and they see another Agent get a piece of equipment that they believe should be theirs. They could use it better. They might need it. They may just plain WANT it cause their strained psyche tells them to.
So they gun him down. They know no one will ever know. If he doesn't come back out, he'll just be another victim claimed by the DZ. The chopper pilot doesn't know. He has no idea who those people are. He might say back at base "some guys in flapjacks shot some guy in a cap" and that's it.

Damn.

Lunar FC

Lmao. Chapter one of your division extended universe novel?

G_Berry

Banned
That proximity chat didn't work for me (PS4). I had the mic plugged in but no one could hear me and I couldn't hear anyone else.
Get this. At one point I was in private party chat and I could here one guys proximity chat!! But no one else I the party could lol.

Anyone else have that happen?

EL CUCO

Get this. At one point I was in private party chat and I could here one guys proximity chat!! But no one else I the party could lol.

Anyone else have that happen?
Yes. Game chat audio seems to share the same channel the regular game audio uses. We heard people talking a few times but not once were we able to interact with other people. The moment the group couldn't hear each other, we'd just cut to party chat.

You should write the back cover....haha

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm in love with the proxy chat. Being able to hear other groups, hearing them plan, listening to them bitch about other rogue agents, catching them rage when I kill them.

Takes me back to the good ol' Halo days.

BVfV2y5.gif

ultron87

It'd be a nice compromise if they gave you full-zone voice chat with squadmates in the dark zone, but let that chat be heard by others in proximity of the people speaking. Right now you just go to Party Chat because it is more tactically viable since you don't have to stay near your group. It'd be nice if that was at least less of the case.

It'd be a nice compromise if they gave you full-zone voice chat with squadmates in the dark zone, but let that chat be heard by others in proximity of the people speaking. Right now you just go to Party Chat because it is more tactically viable since you don't have to stay near your group. It'd be nice if that was at least less of the case.

What? I'm pretty sure you hear your squad at all times. The proximity is just regarding random encounters.

Lima

Huh? You hear people in your group if you are near them or not. They can even be outside the DZ. Unless I didn't understand you correctly.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Beautiful.

ultron87

Huh? You hear people in your group if you are near them or not. They can even be outside the DZ. Unless I didn't understand you correctly.

Weird. My experience was that voice chat stopped being to the whole group when you left the checkpoint. Or at least it got real weird in the way that proximity chat on the PS4 was. If group chat was always group chat I would've expected it wouldn't change upon leaving the checkpoint. So I figured it must be different.

Either way, they need to make it not be bad on the PS4.

I was done with it all last night. Why? Getting from 7 to 8 and 9 to 10 in DZ this weekend was a nightmare because of the simple fact people are untrustworthy. When you are level 7, the level 8s will pounce on you for easy kills and goods. When you are 9 you cannot buy/access the level 10 gear that is being sold so you have to take you chances in the DZ and that leads to...

...a lot of ways people will screw up your gaming experience. Like it has been mentioned here - you can join a team, and watch as one guy in your group decides to become king troll and go rogue and at that point the surrender emote or apologizing into the microphone does not mean a damn thing. People barrel rolling in front of your line of fire to make you go rogue really pissed me off at times because it was bad enough getting shot in the back in the closed beta while engaged (and it kept happening this time in the open beta too), now they decided that the front is just as good. Then you have them and the engaged AI to deal with - along with the other three pals in the mister barrel roll's party sitting back non rogue waiting for you to screw up and BRRAAPPP!!!! you just lost DZ money and XP. Or my least favorite new tactic I saw people use - send you a group invite, talk to you for a moment or two when you see it ("come on, let's work together", and you go "ok"), you start to join them and THEN they gun you down. That is THE reason I stopped taking group invites because some jerkoff figured that out as a griefing tactic. And NO, this is not just because of the beta - people will get bored in the full game too and some people get their jollies off on being a bad player to others.

I am burned out on trolltastic tactics in gaming now and this game makes that concept part of the overall formula for success or failure. This game will penalize you for trusting people; which from what the game description states, is contradictory to the reason "The Division" exists in the first place - to reaffirm trust in a chaotic time. Nice to see 1 out of every 2 people (50%) possibly piss in the wind to that idea in the open beta as opposed to 83% in the closed beta, but there is still no real disadvantage to being rogue other than being ganged up on (which is not a "disadvantage" at all because rogues can do it too) and some players need more than that.

I feel that you should NOT get to be a rogue agent in the DZ and keep 100% full firepower and armor and skills while doing so. It is contradictory to the concept of the game itself. You want to be rogue in the DZ - cool, you are now at 25-50% of your overall stats and skills during that time, including duration and your cool down times triple. If at that point you can pull off being a troll douche dudebro rogue, then bravo, the DZ is truly a dangerous place for everyone to be in. Otherwise, "[ASSHAT] xXx MLG GAMER 420 BLUNT SM0KER WAIFUBEAR 69 MOMHUMPER xXx" THAT trollbaiter.

So if to you as a player/NeoGaf'er that means I am an old guy, get off my lawn, etc., then yeah, get the fuck off my lawn now because the Barnaby Jones/Golden Girls/Murder She Wrote/Matlock marathon is on in 10 minutes on Antenna TV and that is some good quality teevee watching right there. I also own Gran Torino on VHS.

The PvE was decent enough; I enjoyed it, it was challenging when it needed to be, and I could see leveling up there proper, But I also need to see purple and orange drops happening in the PvE areas (I figure this will happen in the full release - or I hope it does) before I would feel confident enough to even consider dropping full price money on the game. I got burned by Destiny already, so for a "always online, open world, forced into semi multiplayer, did we mention the season pass thingy" kind of game, I just have no more faith in the overall idea.

As for "dead shall rise", zombies and such - a version of a timed release, low level metabolic, catatonic death state from the virus could work. Imagine being in the cleaner level, and all those body bags/corpse blanket covers rise up or those military coffins open up and you got a bunch of uncaring base level emotion humans that require double the damage to even slow down seeking nothing but the impulses of a custom tailored virus driving their will. But as mentioned prior in here - no gun welding "zombies"; just shambling bullet sponges that will get to you if you stay in one spot long enough. Melee equals death kind of thing. Incendiary grenades, burst fire, keep moving or you will be overwhelmed type of game play. A logical rabies if you will. That could be some scary moments indeed if done right. No need for "brainzzzz", just a silent, non regular breathing/wheezing, never stopping mass of people who can smell/sense your uninfected self and will not stop until they are put down or you join them. This game engine can handle crowds, right?

I figure some of these things might be addressed in the full release, but again, people are untrustworthy and I have no desire to be "entertained" like that at this time. Like I said, Destiny burned me too hard with this style of game type idea (make your own cleaner joke there) and now the doubt from BUNGLE's (no that is spelled right) mixed efforts and lackluster community response is there going forward in any game I see that tries to recreate the idea. Here is hoping Ubisoft can prove me wrong - I want them too, I really do.

TL;DR - scroll back up and learn to read and comprehend like humans did before 1993 you cranked neck, bowed head, frape sucking, mobile device screen reading, internet addicted, ADHD nimrod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom