• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

I like that a video game is responsible for teaching some folks that random gamers are largely untrustworthy.

Like, Dayz is over five years old now. Get with the program.

This group of 3 kept going rogue against us last night and we kept killing them. I think it happened 4 times. Finally they start waving surrender after they realized we weren't easy prey and for a while we all leave each other alone. Our group got split up in the subways and I came out to street level alone fighting some AI. Low and behold one of the 3 rogues that kept attacking us was alone as well and starts fighting the AI with me. We clean most of them out and then he becomes wounded. I finish off the AI. He started crawling towards me, wanting to be healed, begging. I walked away.

Ladies and Gents,

I purposely avoided the open beta after partaking in the alpha and closed beta in order to not have fatigue before the game comes out.

What are the general impressions now?
How have things changed?
hype still crazy or has something been relieved that is leaving a sour taste?

thanks !

Honestly it was great the second time around. I enjoyed the second mission a lot especially with the new faction. Entering the DZ again for the first time honestly made me paranoid at every turn. I had to worry who was friend or foe which ended up tense sometimes. Grouped up with some great people in the end and it definitely sold me on the full version.

G_Berry

Banned
This group of 3 kept going rogue against us last night and we kept killing them. I think it happened 4 times. Finally they start waving surrender after they realized we weren't easy prey and for a while we all leave each other alone. Our group got split up in the subways and I came out to street level alone fighting some AI. Low and behold one of the 3 rogues that kept attacking us was alone as well and starts fighting the AI with me. We clean most of them out and then he becomes wounded. I finish off the AI. He started crawling towards me, wanting to be healed, begging. I walked away.
Hahahahah perfection.gif

Rimark

Neo Member
So I played the beta for about 3-6 hours on the weekend, and while I found it to be pretty fun overall - I felt a severe lack of content. Even for beta standards I felt like two missions just wasn't enough, and even solo it was extremely short to complete them.

So, my question for those who are saying they played X amount of hours and had a great time - how did you find the amount of content, and what kinds of things were you doing (DZ aside because I know you could spend many hours in there)? I remember at one point I was just running around, no encounters or side missions on the map and I was reaaaallly bored.

Excellent.

I think anyone new to the survival game genre is going to find that player relationship dynamics can become pretty intimate. More than "this guy keeps killing me, dammit" in other shooters, the loot component can quickly make it personal (and more tense and/or exciting).

Yes, it *can* be a frustrating experience. There's a reason many people in DayZ adopted a KOS (kill on sight) mentality. It adds to the experience, though, and at least you're not losing ALL of your gear a la DayZ and other survival games.

It's an interesting hybrid and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

I loved this scenario:

Fighting AI, stranger shows up and helps. The other play goes down. You finish off the AI, and then stare at them as they bleed out. No rogue status, and you still get their dropped gear.

So I played the beta for about 3-6 hours on the weekend, and while I found it to be pretty fun overall - I felt a severe lack of content. Even for beta standards I felt like two missions just wasn't enough, and even solo it was extremely short to complete them.

So, my question for those who are saying they played X amount of hours and had a great time - how did you find the amount of content, and what kinds of things were you doing (DZ aside because I know you could spend many hours in there)? I remember at one point I was just running around, no encounters or side missions on the map and I was reaaaallly bored.

Level up to get into the Dark Zone then spend the rest of your time there.

If you're buying to this play the single player component outside of the DZ, I think you're going to be REALLY disappointed.

If you're buying to this play the single player component outside of the DZ, I think you're going to be REALLY disappointed.

I'm hoping we have compelling reasons to replay the PvE content, and hope the Dark Zone stays interesting with events, modifiers, etc.

12zfAjyQ3RZNSw.gif

Freeman76

How can you possibly say that, you have no idea what is the final game

Tainted

Is it worth holding onto the beta files in case there is a patch or some way to re-use the files on the full version to reduce the download size ? (PC version)

lt519

Excellent.

I think anyone new to the survival game genre is going to find that player relationship dynamics can become pretty intimate. More than "this guy keeps killing me, dammit" in other shooters, the loot component can quickly make it personal (and more tense and/or exciting).

It is really really cool, the best thing I can say about this game. We had a group of 3 rogues cornered up that cheap ladder. So 4 of us + 1 random decide to bum rush them and take them out. I toss up a grenade and the +1 leads the charge. We get up, two of us die, but we still manage to take out the rogues but the +1 ends up rogue from a stray grenade/bullet. He throws up a quick surrender and we just leave him be, the guy was our meat shield, we owed him that respect. You start to build a positive/negative relationship (as with the guy I let bleed out) with people after playing in the DZ with them for a couple hours. Things can get personal. If I lose 6 blues at an extraction because you decide to ambush me, damn straight I'm going to remember that an hour later.

ryanofcall

It is sad that system level Party Chat will probably become the go to for Dark Zone grouping. I love the idea of hearing a group of players coming down the alley way by hearing their voice chat around the corner and having to decide if you'll hide or reveal yourself. Or not being able to go "hey, let's kill this guy" without that guy hearing you.
Then again it's very likely that these people speak a different language but still understand english. If that would be state of the art, english speaking people are fucked. XD

I'm really bummed. I have a top notch PC, and the division is so much better on PC. But all of my friends are getting this on PS4 because PC gaming is too expensive...so I just pre ordred the gold edition on ps4 :(

Yup. im in the EXACT situation. Out of my 5 gaming friends, im the only one who games on PC, and they are all excited about the division, but on the PS4......

PS4 version it is for me then...........shame.

Jira

Where in the hell do you add the key for the hazmat gear preorder on PC? I can't find where to add it on the ubi account page or the division site.

lt519

Also i see that 6.4 million thread turned out nicely.............

It is going to inevitably get compared to Destiny, only two games in this space right now, even though they play completely differently.

As a huge Destiny fan I stayed away from gaming side threads about Destiny and as soon as we get a Division OT I'll likely stay away from gaming side threads about The Division. A lot of people are going to dislike the game, a lot, and it's always going to devolve into an epeen match or people that just want to vent about how they were let down.

Minimaul

I played about 23 1/2 hours of the beta. I spent pretty much the whole time solo. I had fun most of the time, did lots of running around alone looking for AI to kill, or avoiding big groups. Didn't get mowed down by randoms unless I started it. First time into the dark zone I ran around the corner and got killed in a big fight, no biggie. Came out of the entrance again and saw four people who had also just respanwed/re-entered and started shooting them, they all turned around and made quick work of me. I chucked to myself and made sure not to do that again. heh.

I played the beta on Xbox One, but will be getting it on PS4. Nobody on my Xbox friends list played the demo. So hopefully I can find some people to play with on PS4, although I'll still mostly do single player at first.

This guy has the best looking outfit I have seen from the game yet.

EVEN THE DAMN GUN FITS TOGETHER

The Fashion Division

I was going to say that gear and clothing diversity was my biggest disappointment so far. No matter what, you can't really gauge a person's power by looking at them, which is something I really like about RPGs.

But that looks way different than anything I saw people wearing, so cool.

It is going to inevitably get compared to Destiny, only two games in this space right now, even though they play completely differently.

As a huge Destiny fan I stayed away from gaming side threads about Destiny and as soon as we get a Division OT I'll likely stay away from gaming side threads about The Division. A lot of people are going to dislike the game, a lot, and it's always going to devolve into an epeen match or people that just want to vent about how they were let down.

Right i'm just going to enjoy the game as much as i can. Before they either fuck it up or get me to continue playing with more content and the like. I'll visit the OT from time to time, though not in the first week. Because that's when the DBP tends to happen the most, then the epeen trolls come and finally the "i wanted to like the game but...." people come and go.

Raide

Only put a few hours into the open beta. Want to save much of the game for the full release.

I hope the content is there and I hope the weapon variation is also there. I saw one of two interesting weapon perks, so I hope they keep on making fun one. I hope the skills get expanded, since I would like to try more of the Medic skills out.

A little mixed on the DZ but I never got the chance to group up, so it most mostly solo. Very tense atmosphere in the DZ and it makes some players do crazy things, just to survive. With a few tweaks, it could be a great mode but its a bit too heavily biased towards Rogue players in groups.

Looking forward to launch now!

I was going to say that gear and clothing diversity was my biggest disappointment so far. No matter what, you can't really gauge a person's power by looking at them, which is something I really like about RPGs.

But that looks way different than anything I saw people wearing, so cool.

Gear variety is easily one of my biggest concerns and I hope they get creative.

It bugs me that the difference between "Knee pads" and "Reinforced knee pads" (or something like that) is a simple palette swap. The model isn't even changed for a lot of the gear :-\

Gear variety is easily one of my biggest concerns and I hope they get creative.

It bugs me that the difference between "Knee pads" and "Reinforced knee pads" (or something like that) is a simple palette swap. The model isn't even changed for a lot of the gear :-\

Yeah, I hope things get more creative. I get the limitations of being a more grounded, realistic world, but I still want that visual RPG gear progression.

I'm in the same boat. The crazy thing is I hooked up my Elite controller to my PC and played from my couch. I lost some aiming fidelity but it was so much smoother I could still get a good amount of headshots in.

same here, I also noticed some slight aim assist when targeting NPC's using controller. Comfy couch PC gaming at it's finest!

fuzzyset

Yeah, after reading a bit more on the Division and playing it, it's 100% a MMO which is entirely unlike Destiny. They've figured out how to distill the trinity into a shooter and I couldn't be more excited. For all the bullshit MMOs bring, they're still the most fun I've had with games.

Raide

I do hope they add some PvP modes other than the DZ. I do think a team focused 4v4 mode would work really well for The Division.

WavyStretch

Neo Member
I like that a video game is responsible for teaching some folks that random gamers are largely untrustworthy.

Like, Dayz is over five years old now. Get with the program.

Ultima Online is 20 years old, and some of the shit you could do in that makes the DZ look like kindergarten. House breakins, direct theft from players, entire inventory dropping on death, rampant PKing, "grey" baiting, guard zone boundary kiting. It's a minor miracle an open PvP item loss area exists in such a high profile AAA game, I hope crying doesn't ruin it, don't change a thing Massive(except turrets, they should only target AI or rogues/agents, current status dependant).

Raide

Ultima Online is 20 years old, and some of the shit you could do in that makes the DZ look like kindergarten. House breakins, direct theft from players, entire inventory dropping on death, rampant PKing, "grey" baiting, guard zone boundary kiting. It's a minor miracle an open PvP item loss area exists in such a high profile AAA game, I hope crying doesn't ruin it, don't change a thing Massive(except turrets, they should only target AI or rogues/agents, current status dependant).

Don't forget cutting people up. :D

Felluca was damn hardcore.

Yeah, I was really dreading to go into the DZ but once I did, I was kinda relieved. It's tamer than I thought it would be.

I can also appreciate that your DZ bag is so small, you're probably making fairly frequent extraction trips. Sure, it increases your encounter chance, but also disallows a huge bag of loot, and thus, a huge loss if ganked.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Summarizing disagreeable criticism as "crying" is getting a little too common here on gaf lately.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yeah, I hope things get more creative. I get the limitations of being a more grounded, realistic world, but I still want that visual RPG gear progression.

Agreed, but we've seen level 25 videos already and they don't look that much different from a beta level 8 guy. :/

Summarizing disagreeable criticism as "crying" is getting a little too common here on gaf lately.

Its crying to me when, most people in a thread get the message already. That the person in question is not going to play the game for any number of reasons, so first is like; yeah i understand you're opinion and what you didn't like. Then it turns into "Okay we get it you don't like this game". Yet they continue to push and pull to get a reaction and try to put their experience with the game on others. It quickly becomes a soapbox, then it derails.

Jira

Yeah this was something I said earlier. I haven't seen such harsh death penalties in an online AAA game in over a decade.

I went from being really uninterested during the Alpha to at least not totally dismissing it after playing some more in the last few days. I appreciate that it's at least a decent loot game unlike Destiny. Even if there's no content I'm sure I'll pick it up for cheap somewhere down the line, or likely when they're giving away all the DLC to the people who didn't buy in early. The Dark Zone was incredibly boring no matter how many times I went back to try it out, and it seems like that's pretty much "the game" as they've designed it. Reviews should be really interesting. A shocking abundance of non-Dark Zone content could get me to buy it when it comes out.

todahawk

Running into other players in the DZ in the full game is going to be even more tense that what we experienced in the beta.

Jesus Christ dude every extraction was nuts. Guys moving towards the drop zone and then backing off when someone else approached. You knew guys were checking others for drop bags... I had a guy approach 3 of us with no pack after slinking up from behind one of the tents. I saw him hiding (love pulse) put my gun on his head and kept it there. He finally saw me and left right after.

Every extraction is like an old west standoff. There were times I hated it but it's never boring.

ironcreed

Banned
Jesus Christ dude every extraction was nuts. Guys moving towards the drop zone and then backing off when someone else approached. You knew guys were checking others for drop bags... I had a guy approach 3 of us with no pack after slinking up from behind one of the tents. I saw him hiding (love pulse) put my gun on his head and kept it there. He finally saw me and left right after.

Every extraction is like an old west standoff. There were times I hated it but it's never boring.

Yeah, the DZ ended up being a love/hate thing for me... but I really love the game on the whole. Its very addictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom