• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wanna talk about a downgrade? How about comparing the console versions to the PC? My goodness. After spending around 4-5 hours with the PC version yesterday after putting around 20 hours in the PS4 version, I am seriously amazed at how much better the game is on PC. It's almost disappointing. I will be buying both versions regardless, but I just hope the final build of the console versions can come remotely close to the PC version in terms of quality. From the added control options to the UI element customization to the lack of loading screens oh my god.

I should say that the PS4 version runs and looks great imo, its just when you compare the two it's really not even close.

One of my friends mentioned that in the final build of the console version there will be a 60fps option like The Last of Us did which I am very much looking forward to.

Tovarisc

Whoa... really? Has this been confirmed by the devs?

Devs said that in full version there will be option for console users to choose between more advanced lightning or better performance. As far I know they didn't specify if choosing performance gives 60FPS.

Tawpgun

I'm in love with the proxy chat. Being able to hear other groups, hearing them plan, listening to them bitch about other rogue agents, catching them rage when I kill them.

Takes me back to the good ol' Halo days.

BVfV2y5.gif
Love it. I have a lot of friends who hate it and party chat at all costs. Hope to turn them.

Sassen

300 Darkzone keys?...

Killed a lot of people.

Can you please share, how you did get so much of everything? I need to know!

For the gear, just kept joining on random friends to change the instance. Sometimes the gear in the stores would be different.

Going rogue was rough at times. Survive, you get 600 or so credits. Die and...

Guess I should be happy keys cap at 8, lol.

16k DZ credits lost HOLY SHIT I thought I was losing lots at 2.5k.....

I think I finished last night with about 60 DZ keys and 14k DZ credits

Nokterian

The explanation is basically "humans and their greed/survival instinct".
The Dark Zone is off the grid. What happens in there,stays in there, in the context of the game.
The Division Agents have all odds stacked against them, are stuck in a hostile environment and are supposed to give their lives for the common good.

Not all of these people are saints with a heart of gold just because they are part of the Division. They get scared. they don't want to die, they want to live. They become selfish and think they need a leg up on their enemies to see their mission through.
So they go into the Dark Zone, a place isolated from the rest of the world and they see another Agent get a piece of equipment that they believe should be theirs. They could use it better. They might need it. They may just plain WANT it cause their strained psyche tells them to.
So they gun him down. They know no one will ever know. If he doesn't come back out, he'll just be another victim claimed by the DZ. The chopper pilot doesn't know. He has no idea who those people are. He might say back at base "some guys in flapjacks shot some guy in a cap" and that's it.

It's human nature when you enter a lawless place.
Some follow self imposed rules, others don't care.

Magneto-perfection.gif

I can't exactly put my finger on why but this game felt more "open world" and "real" to me than anything else I've played in a long time. Just being able to wander off a mission path and explore, get into fire fights, find loot, etc. felt so natural. I was completely caught off guard by how much I enjoyed it. I'll spring for the Gold Edition day one.

Going rogue was rough at times. Survive, you get 600 or so credits. Die and...

Exactly. Going Rogue in full release is going to be a completely different beast than in beta where nothing (progression-wise) mattered. Am I really going to risk ~5k+ of currency for your two shit blues and a ~200+ credit payout IF I'm successful? Probably not once it actually matters.

Exactly. Going Rogue in full release is going to be a completely different beast than in beta where nothing (progression-wise) mattered. Am I really going to risk ~5k+ of currency for your two shit blues and a ~200+ credit payout IF I'm successful? Probably not once it actually matters.

What about the moment when vendor gear doesn't really matter. I wonder if there will be a mechanic in the game that will keep the darkzone currency relevant.

Running into other players in the DZ in the full game is going to be even more tense that what we experienced in the beta.

I'm in love with the proxy chat. Being able to hear other groups, hearing them plan, listening to them bitch about other rogue agents, catching them rage when I kill them.

Takes me back to the good ol' Halo days.

BVfV2y5.gif
Ha yeah at one point yesterday I was hanging out waiting to extract and I hear the one guy say to his buddy "look at this chump .. I wanna kill this motherfucker and steal his shit" so I turn around quick and see a player coming towards me from behind. I hit him with a disruption sticky bomb and then a grenade and lit him up and killed him (but unfortunately couldn't get his buddy in time and was killed). But it was cool that I could hear them scheming and could get ready for them.

Ps I respawned nearby and b-lined for that extraction area and they were still rogue and killed the guy that took my loot. Thankfully another squad showed up at the same time and helped take them out. It was only a green level shotgun and a pair of gloves I was extracting but it was the principle of the matter!

j-wood

I'm really bummed. I have a top notch PC, and the division is so much better on PC. But all of my friends are getting this on PS4 because PC gaming is too expensive...so I just pre ordred the gold edition on ps4 :(

Gryph

I can't wait. I had the Gold Edition pre-ordered before the beta since I'm a gamblin' man. The beta just confirmed all of my hopes for the game. It's exactly the kind of beautiful, engaging, varied, times-sink that I love.

I think I had the most fun collecting all of the intel and listening to the incidental stories of the NYC collapse. Took me a while to track down everything, but something about the archaeology of it really got me going. This game hits a really neat design space between a shooter and an RPG, something I've never really seen done. (Just before anyone chimes in, I've played hours and hours of Destiny, which is a great game but it's really just a shooter with levels as ranks. The exploration / development aspect that makes most RPGs fun for me is really missing.)

If you like exploration and discovery you'll love the sheer amount of little design stuff shoved into this game. Walking around the city, rummaging through apartments, seeing the little stories unfold was really a treat. The devs have said that the full game will be even more crowded with stuff and NPCs and I'm really excited. This game is going to eat up a lot of my time.

A note on solo play:

I see a lot of people chiming in about solo stuff here so I just want to say a bit about that. If you're on the fence about this game as a solo player, I'd give it my highest possible recommendation.

I logged 24+ hours of solo play, did all the missions solo, did almost everything in the DZ solo, with the exception of a few randos who sent me invites. I finished all of the missions available, maxed out both level and DZ rank, made enough to buy all purple gear (except gloves) and one of the special guns. It was an absolute blast. The DZ took some getting used to as a solo player. You really need to be careful in order to not get taken down but learning the map, learning to be cautious and careful around other players was really fun for me. Outrunning groups that wanted to kill me and take my stuff was some of the most fun I had in the DZ.

If you didn't like the game that's all good, but if you think it might be for you and you're just not sure because you're worried about the solo experience I wanted to share how much I loved it as an all solo player.

I'm really bummed. I have a top notch PC, and the division is so much better on PC. But all of my friends are getting this on PS4 because PC gaming is too expensive...so I just pre ordred the gold edition on ps4 :(

Weak! I just told them tough shit. GAF has never let me down when I needed a group because I decided to go the PC route.

You poor poor soul.......I'll be your friend on PC.

PC keys are pretty cheap right? So you could still play the PC version too I suppose.

Tovarisc

With Parkour mode on you can autoclimb ladders. Gamechanger.

It also causes you to desync from other players, they can't see you while you can kill them. Did some testing on this this friend in open beta and enabling parkour mode kept reliably replicating desync issue.

fuzzyset

That's a bummer. It's the exact opposite for me. Been itching to play Destiny with friends but none of my friends have consoles as we're mostly PC gamers. I'm so excited for the full release. I'm assuming there will be a strong Division-PC GAF presence.

Crafting perhaps? DZ vendors could sell schematics/etc.

If it's like any other MMO, there will be people that outpace the release of content. At that point, currencies, gear, etc is pointless to them so losing DZ bucks won't really matter.

hydruxo

So how many hours did you guys put into this last beta?

I played for 9 hours....

22 hours in the open beta, 1 day & 2 hours for the closed beta

After the first beta I told myself I wouldn't even play the open beta but this game is too good. I couldn't resist haha.

fuzzyset

I played for 9 hours....

I only played a few hours. Basically played through most of the missions on both Xbone and PC. The way the Division is structured, it seems like it could finally give me that "fresh exploration MMO" feeling I've been searching for since WoW. I didn't want to spoil to much. Basically played enough to know I wanted the game.

Jira

I played for 9 hours....

In CB 24 hours
In OB 24 hours

I have this void now where nothing will fill it. I NEED March 8th to get here. Tom Clancy's Diablo is just the thing I needed.

Ok I have to ask something.

What does that FIREARMS number even mean? The damage dealt by the weapon is relative to the DMG number to the right, not to the firearms number, right?

Tovarisc

...really? whoa.

First hint of desync was that when I got killed off by rogues and they fully ignored my friend who was next to me at the time. Friend then killed them off, rogues never saw or heard him. We started to test out what caused desync most often and parkour mode emerged as winner, at times even I couldn't see him because we also desynced. Kinda weird to do content with player you can't see :D

Ok I have to ask something.

What does that FIREARMS number even mean? The damage dealt by the weapon is relative to the DMG number to the right, not to the firearms number, right?

Firearms stat increases damage your weapon deals by X % for every Y points of firearms stat. Don't ask for specific numbers, I forgot to screencap that stuff :(

First hint of desync was that when I got killed off by rogues and they fully ignored my friend who was next to me at the time. Friend then killed them off, rogues never saw or heard him. We started to test out what caused desync most often and parkour mode emerged as winner, at times even I couldn't see him because we also desynced. Kinda weird to do content with player you can't see :D

Firearms stat increases damage your weapon deals by X % for every Y points of firearms stat. Don't ask for specific numbers, I forgot to screencap that stuff :(
Ohhhh ok, thanks.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Too many division threads, I've been posting in the wrong thread for hours and nobody told me.

Back on point, you are all wrong in the previous thread.

mosdl

Somehow our extraction massacres are gaining traction, I've never had random people post on my videos.

MzmWngX.png

How funny would it be if the game would eventually make sure that people who have a hight tendency to go rogue end up playing on the same instances.

lt519

How funny would it be if the game would eventually make sure that people who have a hight tendency to go rogue end up playing on the same instances.

I think it'd be less tense. I thought about the comment and really think it's actually a bad idea to show tendency. It'd be more fun if they had one high tendency rogue group per instance. You'd feel hunted and untrustworthy of everyone knowing there was one group out there ready to take you down. I've played in DZ where practically the entire zone was working together with no rogue incidences. Played in DZ where it was basically a death match. The best DZ were where you just really didn't know...

The game is pretty kewl and plays decently, but man, it's just so very Destiny in its vibe and construction; my life just can't accommodate such a game anymore.

I just feel that both it and your relevance in its meta game are going to be dictated significantly by endless loot chasing and coordination with others. Power to you if you've got the time and patience for that.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I was done with it all last night. Why? Getting from 7 to 8 and 9 to 10 in DZ this weekend was a nightmare because of the simple fact people are untrustworthy. When you are level 7, the level 8s will pounce on you for easy kills and goods. When you are 9 you cannot buy/access the level 10 gear that is being sold so you have to take you chances in the DZ and that leads to...

...a lot of ways people will screw up your gaming experience. Like it has been mentioned here - you can join a team, and watch as one guy in your group decides to become king troll and go rogue and at that point the surrender emote or apologizing into the microphone does not mean a damn thing. People barrel rolling in front of your line of fire to make you go rogue really pissed me off at times because it was bad enough getting shot in the back in the closed beta while engaged (and it kept happening this time in the open beta too), now they decided that the front is just as good. Then you have them and the engaged AI to deal with - along with the other three pals in the mister barrel roll's party sitting back non rogue waiting for you to screw up and BRRAAPPP!!!! you just lost DZ money and XP. Or my least favorite new tactic I saw people use - send you a group invite, talk to you for a moment or two when you see it ("come on, let's work together", and you go "ok"), you start to join them and THEN they gun you down. That is THE reason I stopped taking group invites because some jerkoff figured that out as a griefing tactic. And NO, this is not just because of the beta - people will get bored in the full game too and some people get their jollies off on being a bad player to others.

I am burned out on trolltastic tactics in gaming now and this game makes that concept part of the overall formula for success or failure. This game will penalize you for trusting people; which from what the game description states, is contradictory to the reason "The Division" exists in the first place - to reaffirm trust in a chaotic time. Nice to see 1 out of every 2 people (50%) possibly piss in the wind to that idea in the open beta as opposed to 83% in the closed beta, but there is still no real disadvantage to being rogue other than being ganged up on (which is not a "disadvantage" at all because rogues can do it too) and some players need more than that.

I feel that you should NOT get to be a rogue agent in the DZ and keep 100% full firepower and armor and skills while doing so. It is contradictory to the concept of the game itself. You want to be rogue in the DZ - cool, you are now at 25-50% of your overall stats and skills during that time, including duration and your cool down times triple. If at that point you can pull off being a troll douche dudebro rogue, then bravo, the DZ is truly a dangerous place for everyone to be in. Otherwise, "[ASSHAT] xXx MLG GAMER 420 BLUNT SM0KER WAIFUBEAR 69 MOMHUMPER xXx" THAT trollbaiter.

So if to you as a player/NeoGaf'er that means I am an old guy, get off my lawn, etc., then yeah, get the fuck off my lawn now because the Barnaby Jones/Golden Girls/Murder She Wrote/Matlock marathon is on in 10 minutes on Antenna TV and that is some good quality teevee watching right there. I also own Gran Torino on VHS.

The PvE was decent enough; I enjoyed it, it was challenging when it needed to be, and I could see leveling up there proper, But I also need to see purple and orange drops happening in the PvE areas (I figure this will happen in the full release - or I hope it does) before I would feel confident enough to even consider dropping full price money on the game. I got burned by Destiny already, so for a "always online, open world, forced into semi multiplayer, did we mention the season pass thingy" kind of game, I just have no more faith in the overall idea.

As for "dead shall rise", zombies and such - a version of a timed release, low level metabolic, catatonic death state from the virus could work. Imagine being in the cleaner level, and all those body bags/corpse blanket covers rise up or those military coffins open up and you got a bunch of uncaring base level emotion humans that require double the damage to even slow down seeking nothing but the impulses of a custom tailored virus driving their will. But as mentioned prior in here - no gun welding "zombies"; just shambling bullet sponges that will get to you if you stay in one spot long enough. Melee equals death kind of thing. Incendiary grenades, burst fire, keep moving or you will be overwhelmed type of game play. A logical rabies if you will. That could be some scary moments indeed if done right. No need for "brainzzzz", just a silent, non regular breathing/wheezing, never stopping mass of people who can smell/sense your uninfected self and will not stop until they are put down or you join them. This game engine can handle crowds, right?

I figure some of these things might be addressed in the full release, but again, people are untrustworthy and I have no desire to be "entertained" like that at this time. Like I said, Destiny burned me too hard with this style of game type idea (make your own cleaner joke there) and now the doubt from BUNGLE's (no that is spelled right) mixed efforts and lackluster community response is there going forward in any game I see that tries to recreate the idea. Here is hoping Ubisoft can prove me wrong - I want them too, I really do.

TL;DR - scroll back up and learn to read and comprehend like humans did before 1993 you cranked neck, bowed head, frape sucking, mobile device screen reading, internet addicted, ADHD nimrod.

What an all around unpleasant set of opinions. You're exactly the type of person I can't wait to kill in the full game.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

I'm in the same boat. The crazy thing is I hooked up my Elite controller to my PC and played from my couch. I lost some aiming fidelity but it was so much smoother I could still get a good amount of headshots in.

Jira

I think it'd be less tense. I thought about the comment and really think it's actually a bad idea to show tendency. It'd be more fun if they had one high tendency rogue group per instance. You'd feel hunted and untrustworthy of everyone knowing there was one group out there ready to take you down. I've played in DZ where practically the entire zone was working together with no rogue incidences. Played in DZ where it was basically a death match. The best DZ were where you just really didn't know...

Yeah, the entire point is NOT knowing who or where things can go down. You could remember people's names, but otherwise the part of not knowing is a lot of the fun and why the DZ is PvP enabled. You know I had been thinking and as far as AAA games go, The Division has the harshest death penalties I've seen in a game in a long time. XP loss, de-ranking (I haven't seen level loss in over a decade), money loss, key loss, and item loss. It's about time a big dev had the balls to do it.

0racle

Ladies and Gents,

I purposely avoided the open beta after partaking in the alpha and closed beta in order to not have fatigue before the game comes out.

What are the general impressions now?
How have things changed?
hype still crazy or has something been relieved that is leaving a sour taste?

thanks !

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the same boat. The crazy thing is I hooked up my Elite controller to my PC and played from my couch. I lost some aiming fidelity but it was so much smoother I could still get a good amount of headshots in.

I'm in the same boat as well. The funny thing is, there's enough of us here to actually get the PC version and play in groups :p

What an all around unpleasant set of opinions. You're exactly the type of person I can't wait to kill in the full game.

I like that a video game is responsible for teaching some folks that random gamers are largely untrustworthy.

Like, Dayz is over five years old now. Get with the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom