• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

one thing i have a problem with is not being able to throw grenades while climbing ladders, this gives rogue agents a big advantage in certain high terrain areas in the dark zone

Summarizing disagreeable criticism as "crying" is getting a little too common here on gaf lately.

I think there are legitimate criticisms to be made about the DZ. Turrets being trolled to cause Rogue status, too-low damage threshold to become Rogue, etc.

Someone complaining about human players betraying him/her? Yeah, that's crying, in my book.

Tovarisc

Is it worth holding onto the beta files in case there is a patch or some way to re-use the files on the full version to reduce the download size ? (PC version)

If you don't have any reason to save data then just delete beta installation folder and then config files folder from C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games. Even if there was patch from open beta client to full release one I would go for 100% clean install, get rid of all that code and configs that full release may not use. ArmA 3 offered option to patch from beta to full release, but doing clean install gave small performance increase.

todahawk

Yeah, the DZ ended up being a love/hate thing for me... but I really love the game on the whole. Its very addictive.

Yeah, I hate the gank mobs and played mostly solo this weekend so it was frustrating at times.

But I played the flanking rogue hunter a bit and got even. Using pulse/scanner was really really helpful for sneaking up behind rogues. Caught a couple of rogues at extraction with what I was assuming were ill-gotten goods. Dropped an incendiary grenade on one and watch him burn before taking his goods and getting them out for myself.

Of course maybe they went rogue defending themselves. Who knows.

finalflame

I think that's a poor analogy.

To say the very least.

The issue of "going rogue" en-masse and "betrayal" in the beta is, largely, because it's a beta and none of the progress carries over. In reality, it's a really bad benchmark for how it'll work in the real game. The fact that you can level down in DZ rank paired with the high penalty for dying while rogue will make it a much more calculated move in the final game. I seldom saw large groups, the ones that can do real damage if they go rogue, get away with it.

Is it possible? Sure. Will some really skilled players be able to outsmart others and rob them blind, and get away with it? Sometimes. That's part of what makes this dynamic so great, though. People won't be going around shooting up groups willy-nilly in the actual game, I suspect, as it's just largely not worth it. You might not even get anything of value from the loot you're going rogue for.

Lima

People won't be going around shooting up groups willy-nilly in the actual game, I suspect, as it's just largely not worth it. You might not even get anything of value from the loot you're going rogue for.

Oh that is all I'm going to do my friend. Just fucking people up left and right and make sure they are having the worst time possible.

finalflame

Oh that is all I'm going to do my friend. Just fucking people up left and right and make sure they are having the worst time possible.

Guess you'll be happy with really low DZ rank and probably subpar gear you'll never get to extract/use.

To clarify, I also fucked with people towards the end of the beta, just because. I care about my progress in the main game, though, so definitely won't be doing that. Risk vs. reward.

Costia

I think that's a poor analogy.
It's like playing Eve and complaining you got blown up.
It's like playing a horror game and complaining it scared you.
As far as I can tell the frustration from DZ's PvP is part of the design.

Edit: I would prefer if they tweaked going rogue though. So it will be more controllable and less prone to accidentally going rogue. When I got a purple burst gun, any pull of the trigger could get me rogue.
Guess you'll be happy with really low DZ rank and probably subpar gear you'll never get to extract/use.
To clarify, I also fucked with people towards the end of the beta, just because. I care about my progress in the main game, though, so definitely won't be doing that. Risk vs. reward.
Looks like you define "reward" differently. For you it's the loot and the rank. For him the reward is the people's reaction to his actions.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Tell us again. And again. And again.

To say the very least.

The issue of "going rogue" en-masse and "betrayal" in the beta is, largely, because it's a beta and none of the progress carries over. In reality, it's a really bad benchmark for how it'll work in the real game. The fact that you can level down in DZ rank paired with the high penalty for dying while rogue will make it a much more calculated move in the final game. I seldom saw large groups, the ones that can do real damage if they go rogue, get away with it.

Is it possible? Sure. Will some really skilled players be able to outsmart others and rob them blind, and get away with it? Sometimes. That's part of what makes this dynamic so great, though. People won't be going around shooting up groups willy-nilly in the actual game, I suspect, as it's just largely not worth it. You might not even get anything of value from the loot you're going rogue for.

Plus 24 players were locked in a fairly small area for the most part. Especially when it comes to extraction zones. Now you spread out those players over the whole dark zone, you won't have that many encounters with rogues. An when you do it won't annoy you as much because it won't happen as much as it did in the beta's.

You're going to find more npc's then players i bet, 24 players in 6 to 7 sections doing their own thing (as i mentioned). You'll have to go out of you're way to kill people.

Also we get it already...

Bahhhh just found out I'm traveling for work from the 6th to the 20th. Painful.

damn
tnzK5DA.gif

lt519

RIP *pours one out*

Haha thanks! I took my PS4 with me for TTK release but don't think I'll be able to do it this time. Guess I'll be testing that matchmaking out for the main story missions. I get fear of missing out with these MMO like games where leveling can leave you behind.

finalflame

Looks like you define "reward" differently. For you it's the loot and the rank. For him the reward is the people's reaction to his actions.

Except when he starts to get steamrolled by most users with better gear and rank than him, while his progression is stagnant. I don't see people who "just want to troll all the time" getting very far in the DZ; more like a minor nuisance. The groups you'll want to look out for are highly skilled teams that invest most of their time in a proper DZ experience but like to occasionally risk themselves for the sake of getting another group's loot.

After the beta ending I thought I'd try out Watch Dogs again.... Meh, stupid Ubisoft formula that the hacking sub-game doesn't help. Now I just watched the GiantBomb Far Cry Primal Quick Look, and again, same old Ubisoft open world crap.

I did not get any signs of that stuff in the Division. I think this is a really good thing for Ubisoft.

After the beta ending I thought I'd try out Watch Dogs again.... Meh, stupid Ubisoft formula that the hacking sub-game doesn't help. Now I just watched the GiantBomb Far Cry Primal Quick Look, and again, same old Ubisoft open world crap.

I did not get any signs of that stuff in the Division. I think this is a really good thing for Ubisoft.

Far Cry Primal seems so boring. Like the skeleton of all of Ubi's game without any other of the flare. I hope Ubi allows devs to try a new formula like Massive is doing.

SomTervo

"Life is boring/empty again"? Pah. What are you guys like. Wimpblobs.

*goes to play a game*

... Yeah i want to play the division.

Tovarisc

Have to ask, how was audio for you guys in beta? I had insane echoes most of the time in everything I did or happened around me. Game volume was very low [5-10%] as otherwise game was deafening loud.

Klyka

Banned
Have to ask, how was audio for you guys in beta? I had insane echoes most of the time in everything I did or happened around me. Game volume was very low [5-10%] as otherwise game was deafening loud.

turning down the ingame volume was bugged and produced those echos.

you had to use the windows volume control to change it

Spent time with XBO and PC (PS4 downloaded but alas PC felt sooooooo good). Did one mission and most side content on XBO, and everything including DZ on PC.

+ Overall a beautiful game both on consoles and PC (yeah, yeah we get it reality is boring aesthetically). The weather transitions were wonderful and hope for this engine to be the flagship for Ubisoft games developed in the future.

+ The gunplay/combat was better than what a number here made it out to be. No, it's not the typical Clancy game where enemies (and the player) drop from bullets in the realistic ballpark, but overall it felt well balanced for the different tiers in regards to this being a game that encourages multiplayer.

- Yet shooting felt off on the XBO compared to PC. Not to a deal breaking degree for those who prefer that platform, but felt that the recoil/spread was a bit too pronounced with what the aiming felt like. Perhaps input lag was an issue.

- Animations and modeling looked a bit weird for the cutscenes, particularly on your wounded compatriot from the beginning (Heather, or I was that the sister?). Dialog was also really poor to where I'm really hoping it was suffering from cookie cutting plot detailed lines, yet that still doesn't cure the delivery issues.

+ Missions were well designed in all aspects except perhaps rewards/loot. The second had a lot of different encounter styles I dug. Also hurray for matchmaking, though I didn't utilize it after having issues with the first search attempt.

+ DZ was tense and was fun in trying to deal with he extraction mechanic and figuring out who would go rogue...

- ...but the area was too bare and tight to be compelling solo. Maybe with a group to deal with the gank squads it would have been a far better experience.

- Rogue mechanics have to be tweaked. Turrets target friendlies and too easy to accidently cause someone else to go rogue via 'friendly fire'. Also feél like that there needs to be something done that allows you to fight back against other players without being deemed rogue yourself. Seems odd to be penalized for defending yourself from a group.

+ Now this is how you do loot. More shooter RPGs like this please!

Overall, I loved it and may even consider double/triple dipping later on consoles depending on ease of progression and player availability.

Tovarisc

turning down the ingame volume was bugged and produced those echos.

you had to use the windows volume control to change it

Hmm, didn't know that. Good to know tho, in case same happens in full release. It was more funny than annoying tbh, especially indoors where you could run as it sounded like you had huge flat feet :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, turns out I was in the perfect mood for this game and now I have to wait two weeks to get back into it. Not in the mood for any of my other games right now.

Quazar

Man, turns out I was in the perfect mood for this game and now I have to wait two weeks to get back into it. Not in the mood for any of my other games right now.

Felt same way after closed beta. I'll play walking dead game/terra battle until this comes out.

Evolved1

lol welcome to the club.

Don't even feel like Rainbow, and I love Rainbow.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Felt same way after closed beta. I'll play walking dead game/terra battle until this comes out.

I'm just really surprised since I had very low expectations for this game. Complete 180 after the beta.

lol welcome to the club.

Don't even feel like Rainbow, and I love Rainbow.

I literally just got off of Siege. I was playing so bad tonight I couldn't keep going LOL

Evolved1

I ended up with a bunch of paints:

2x Tan
Olive drab
White
Pink
Plum
2x Orange

Wanted to go pink, but it was too much. White and orange were pretty neat. Wonder how many there are, and if anyone found patterns.

You're going to find more npc's then players i bet, 24 players in 6 to 7 sections doing their own thing (as i mentioned). You'll have to go out of you're way to kill people.

The thing is, a big reason I didn't gank random people I came across, is that there would probably be 5 randoms chasing me around 20 seconds after I went rogue. If the DZ ends up being less populated, I'd probably kill every solo player I see for the sweet DZ monies.

So we might encounter people less in the full release DZ. but I suspect those encounters may result in a fight way more often.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I ended up with a bunch of paints:

2x Tan
Olive drab
White
Pink
Plum
2x Orange

Wanted to go pink, but it was too much. White and orange were pretty neat. Wonder how many there are, and if anyone found patterns.

I never found a single paint, which was a bummer. Didn't spend much time in the Dark Zone though since I didn't have a squad. I really like the weapon customization here and cosmetic stuff would be cool.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Did those purple and blue guns you guys got were purchased by DZ rank? Maybe I won't have much difficulty getting good!

Evolved1

I never found a single paint, which was a bummer. Didn't spend much time in the Dark Zone though since I didn't have a squad. I really like the weapon customization here and cosmetic stuff would be cool.
I got almost everything from farming civilians in sp.

D i Z

You wouldn't find them in the DZ. They all come from trading items with civilians.

In the closed Beta I found one. In the open, I found 4 while i was just out solo. It was usually from the first civilian who I ran into when exiting an event or base.
I have a friend who got nada during the course of both beta's. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom