• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubersnug

I'm a bit annoyed here and wondered if anyone else has been affected.

On the xbox one, I have the gold edition preordered and preloaded. I decided to delete the beta from the hard drive to free up some space. Noticed that the gold edition 'national guard' and 'hazmat' preorder bonuses were, for some reason, tied to the division beta app, which was odd, I thought.

Double checked my predownload of the game and noticed that too had the hazmat and national guard bonuses too. So, shrugged it off and deleted the beta. Double checked my preload of the gold edition and now the dlc outfits have been removed from that as well.

Now, with all the shenanigans going on with Xbox live I can't access the digital store to attempt to restore the preloads of the dlc outfits.

Also, as an aside, apparently all the retailer specific outfits and now, apparently, tied to the season pass - according to Arekz latest vid on YouTube. Can't find anything anywhere to confirm this though.

Minimaul

Here's my character. Nothing overly fancy. Didn't get enough money to buy the fancy weapons, but I had fun.

TlveBw1.png

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
As someone with a VAC ban from modifying files like FOV over a year ago and miss clicking a menu and go online, I think 2nd chances are good and not this shit policy of "Nope fuck you for not playing at 50FOV on s pc"

image.php

Tecnniqe

Banned
If they don't change then they'll get caught on release and banned. No reason to ban them for cheating in the beta. Technically they are helping the developers.
My point exactly.
They are providing valuable information about how to prevent the shit from affecting release, which is the only thing that matters.

deoee

If they don't change then they'll get caught on release and banned. No reason to ban them for cheating in the beta. Technically they are helping the developers.

Yeah you're right.

It's just said that they have to deal with this shit in the first place :(

HAL-x9000

Killed a lot of people.

For the gear, just kept joining on random friends to change the instance. Sometimes the gear in the stores would be different.

Going rogue was rough at times. Survive, you get 600 or so credits. Die and...

Guess I should be happy keys cap at 8, lol.

I really think that this is just the total amount af ALL dying rogue penalties you´ve got. Not just this single one. I also get the message that I lost 3k on DZ Credits, then I looked it up in the inventory and I just lost a small amount but not 3k!

SentryDown

Question: once you've unlocked the base of operations (which is probably the very first thing anyone will do), why would you ever go back to Camp Hudson? It seems totally redundant at that point.

Camp hudson is like any safehouse, it exists to give quests, fast travel and trade with the vendors. It's also where area matchmakings are located. There are plenty of them in NY and they are pretty useful even though the base remains the best one (crafting, main story, ...).

Bad english but understandable explanation I hope.

I really enjoyed this! Extremely impressed with this game now I've played a little of it on PC. Will definitely be keeping my eye on this to see how it holds up a couple of weeks after launch.

Question: once you've unlocked the base of operations (which is probably the very first thing anyone will do), why would you ever go back to Camp Hudson? It seems totally redundant at that point.

Camp hudson is like any safehouse, it exists to give quests, fast travel and trade with the vendors. It's also where area matchmakings are located. There are plenty of them in NY and they are pretty useful even though the base remains the best one (crafting, main story, ...)

yup, sidequests and different vendors.

This is one of those games where it just shines when playing with buddies and simply turns good when you play it solo or random players.

I thought this was an amazing game from the get go but after a while the beta area felt too small with not enough encounters to truly feel constantly engaged with the world.

I know. It's a beta. I should not expect anything huge.

Fact of the matter is that part keeps me worried. I am afraid Ubisoft will put too much emphasis on the Dark Zone and that they will eventually leave out future Contaminated Zones, missions like The Hospital and just keep adding content within' the Dark Zone.

I would also hate if the Dark Zone will become the only area where you can get the best loot, effectively destroying the huge Manhattan space and the game turning into an Extraction game.

This game beats Destiny when it comes down to co-op play, though. I played the Hospital Mission on Hard with three of my friends and we got our asses kicked multiple times but by the end we did triumph.

It became an amazing strategy of flanking, each person taking the proper skills and complimenting one another. I never once had this feeling with Destiny and that says a lot in my book considering they borrowed some aspects.

Tecnniqe

Banned
This is one of those games where it just shines when playing with buddies and simply turns good when you play it solo or random players.

I thought this was an amazing game from the get go but after a while the beta area felt too small with not enough encounters to truly feel constantly engaged with the world.

I know. It's a beta. I should not expect anything huge.

Fact of the matter is that part keeps me worried. I am afraid Ubisoft will put too much emphasis on the Dark Zone and that they will eventually leave out future Contaminated Zones, missions like The Hospital and just keep adding content within' the Dark Zone.

I would also hate if the Dark Zone will become the only area where you can get the best loot, effectively destroying the huge Manhattan space and the game turning into an Extraction game.

This game beats Destiny when it comes down to co-op play, though. I played the Hospital Mission on Hard with three of my friends and we got our asses kicked multiple times but by the end we did triumph.

It became an amazing strategy of flanking, each person taking the proper skills and complimenting one another. I never once had this feeling with Destiny and that says a lot in my book considering they borrowed some aspects.
Dont worry about the gear, you can get BiS in both PvE and PvPvE

The hostage got killed once in our run and then the game just glitched out and never respawned anything. Had to quit out of the mission and we never bothered to run it again as the fight before the hostage one was so tiring :p

Klyka

Banned
Someone said earlier that they "kept the trinity alive in a shooter" and I couldn't agree more.

I played the hospital mission on hard a couple of times with different skill and stat setups.
I went in with the shield and the turret and my stats pumped into stamina and electronic and would just throw my turret and then sit there with my shield, tanking all kinds of damage while shooting the enemies to make them aggro on me.
It worked amazingly well!

Then in another try I was specced for full DPS but I realized no one had any healing and my party members constantly ran around with barely any health or got downed.
So I switched to heal and a hybrid DPS/electronics build and stayed back sniping enemies while throwing down heals and using pulses to increase our damage.

It was very fun!

Kane1345

Someone said earlier that they "kept the trinity alive in a shooter" and I couldn't agree more.

I played the hospital mission on hard a couple of times with different skill and stat setups.
I went in with the shield and the turret and my stats pumped into stamina and electronic and would just throw my turret and then sit there with my shield, tanking all kinds of damage while shooting the enemies to make them aggro on me.
It worked amazingly well!

I did this exact setup on the last day of beta and I to found that it worked really well. I've been playing MMO's for years now and I never thought I would see that trinity setup work in a shooter. It was a lot of fun

SomTervo

Spent time with XBO and PC (PS4 downloaded but alas PC felt sooooooo good). Did one mission and most side content on XBO, and everything including DZ on PC.

+ Overall a beautiful game both on consoles and PC (yeah, yeah we get it reality is boring aesthetically). The weather transitions were wonderful and hope for this engine to be the flagship for Ubisoft games developed in the future.

+ The gunplay/combat was better than what a number here made it out to be. No, it's not the typical Clancy game where enemies (and the player) drop from bullets in the realistic ballpark, but overall it felt well balanced for the different tiers in regards to this being a game that encourages multiplayer.

- Yet shooting felt off on the XBO compared to PC. Not to a deal breaking degree for those who prefer that platform, but felt that the recoil/spread was a bit too pronounced with what the aiming felt like. Perhaps input lag was an issue.

- Animations and modeling looked a bit weird for the cutscenes, particularly on your wounded compatriot from the beginning (Heather, or I was that the sister?). Dialog was also really poor to where I'm really hoping it was suffering from cookie cutting plot detailed lines, yet that still doesn't cure the delivery issues.

+ Missions were well designed in all aspects except perhaps rewards/loot. The second had a lot of different encounter styles I dug. Also hurray for matchmaking, though I didn't utilize it after having issues with the first search attempt.

+ DZ was tense and was fun in trying to deal with he extraction mechanic and figuring out who would go rogue...

- ...but the area was too bare and tight to be compelling solo. Maybe with a group to deal with the gank squads it would have been a far better experience.

- Rogue mechanics have to be tweaked. Turrets target friendlies and too easy to accidently cause someone else to go rogue via 'friendly fire'. Also feél like that there needs to be something done that allows you to fight back against other players without being deemed rogue yourself. Seems odd to be penalized for defending yourself from a group.

+ Now this is how you do loot. More shooter RPGs like this please!

Overall, I loved it and may even consider double/triple dipping later on consoles depending on ease of progression and player availability.

Great post, agree with all of this.

The only thing I think it's worth being cautious about deciding on is the bolded re animations/writing.

The writing has never been great in Tom Clancy brand games, but we know for a fact that story content and cutscenes was held back from the beta. I think this could even include final dialogue lines being cut - we know for a fact some cutscenes and a prologue/intro sequence have been removed.

There's a side quest there which is pretty damn good. And I think the vendors there have unique items?

TBH, trekking back to Hudson and just walking around was fucking great. Once I was immersed in the city going back to a unique, spaced out locale was truly awesome. Especially when you find the mass grave area...

Klyka

Banned

I got none in the Closed, but in the Open I got one from the very first civilian I helped. It was 'tan' and looked ridiculously awesome on an M4 :)

camp hudson, just like the safehouses, is a social space as well,meaning you can meet other players there and chat with them and party up.
so if you want to do some "manual matchmaking" or just hang out,you go there.

Tecnniqe

Banned
camp hudson, just like the safehouses, is a social space as well,meaning you can meet other players there and chat with them and party up.
LF1M RI HM need Cadus 15k+ DPS

deoee

You could see other players in the Safehouse? o_O

Never happened to me

Klyka

Banned
You could see other players in the Safehouse? o_O

Never happened to me

not the DZ safehouse. the actual safehouses outside in the map. there wasn't one in the beta you could use.
each zone of the map has a safehouse you can fast travel to.

ryanofcall

The DZ will have "missions" (and "events") as well. So the only real difference to Manhattan is the location and that the DZ feels more MMO'y because there's random people.

Also there was a word going around of a DZ mode for the whole map, not sure if that was just a rumor or legit info.

Well they said it very often, that the DZ is the place where you find the best loot in the game. Question is, will there even be a reason to quest and play outside of the DZ if there will be an option to play a whole map dz mode, if you don't want to play the story anymore? I don't think/hope warzones are going to be that common after release, because in the beta everybod thought, fuck it -will be reset anyway. But if you get to dz level 30 you probably want to keep using your weapon ... so if you get killed as a rogue you will lose level and you can't use your best weapon anymore at some point... therefore yo'd get weaker... FAST. If you get killed as a rogue. And have fun finding a level 29 gear after you sold all of your weaker gear because you reached level 30.
It's just very risky to go rogue after release.

In the end the DZ just might be more lively/fun than just playing on a private server in general. But who knows! We can't really tell before the release

Klyka

Banned
The DZ will have "missions" (and "events") as well. So the only real difference to Manhattan is the location and that the DZ feels more MMO'y because there's random people.

Also there was a word going around of a DZ mode for the whole map, not sure if that was just a rumor or legit info.

Well they said it very often, that the DZ is the place where you find the best loot in the game. Question is, will there even be a reason to quest and play outside of the DZ if there will be an option to play a whole map dz mode, if you don't want to play the story anymore? I don't think/hope warzones are going to be that common after release, because in the beta everybod thought, fuck it -will be reset anyway. But if you get to dz level 30 you probably want to keep using your weapon ... so if you get killed as a rogue you will lose level and you can't use your best weapon anymore at some point... therefore yo'd get weaker... FAST. If you get killed as a rogue. And have fun finding a level 29 gear after you sold all of your weaker gear because you reached level 30.
It's just very risky to go rogue after release.

In the end the DZ just might be more lively/fun than just playing on a private server in general. But who knows! We can't really tell before the release

Uh, that's not how levels/ranks work. at all.
Your character has a LEVEL. that goes up to lvl 30. that decides what you can equip. that can never go down,you can't lose XP.

The Dark Zone has a RANK. That goes up to 120. That only governs what you can BUY from DZ vendors, you don't need to keep being that rank to USE it. You can lose Dark Zone XP and thereby Dark Zone rank, but that'll only really happen if you go rogue cause a non rogue player loses like 3-4 enemies worth of XP.

Raide

I am still torn between the XB1 and PC versions. My PC is not amazing, so it won't be doing any SweetFX or other tweaks. It ran high 30's at medium, so I am sure a few tweaks will have it running smoothly but my friends are mostly on the XB1. Pre-ordered PC regular, so that seems to be the direction so far, unless I panic and get the XB1 instead. :D

DTP in this one

Division Tech Points

WHO STOOD IN THE CLEANERS??? THAT'S A BIG FAT 50 DTP MINUS!!!

Not timing the overlaps of scan? -100 DTP.
Throwing the turret behind a box? -50 DTP.

Tecnniqe

Banned
MOAR DOTS
I'm sensing a lot of current/ex WoW players here...
Shameful playing every expansion for a week or so to experience the story and new content before quickly uninstalling it.

That thing have taken enough decades from my life
and still they won't let me play overwatch, bastards

Klyka

Banned
MOAR DOTS

DRINK WATER!
USE INCENDIARY AMMO!
KEEP SHOOTING! KEEP SHOOTING! STOP SHOOTING!
USE SHIELD! SHIELD UP! SHIELD UP! STOP SHIELD!
DRINK WATER!
USE INCENDIARY AMMO!

OMG WHO USED EXPLOSIVE AMMO????? ADDS INCOMING TAKE THE ADDS SHIELDS UP SHIELDS UP STOP SHIELDS

OMMMGGGGGG TECNNIQE THAT'S A FUCKING 50 DTP MINUSSSSSS

Raide

DRINK WATER!
USE INCENDIARY AMMO!
DRINK WATER!
USE INCENDIARY AMMO!

OMG WHO USED EXPLOSIVE AMMO????? ADDS INCOMING TAKE THE ADDS SHIELDS UP SHIELDS UP STOP SHIELDS

Jokes aside, whenever the mention Raid's in The Division, I panic a little. :D

Tecnniqe

Banned
DRINK WATER!
USE INCENDIARY AMMO!
DRINK WATER!
USE INCENDIARY AMMO!

Perfect!

OMG GUILD KICK & SERVER SHAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom