• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I had about a day and a half with the beta and I came away very positive about it. It's the co-op loot shooter I was hoping to find in Destiny. Walking around in the city getting into random firefights just feels right (which is very much an analog to the patrol sections in Destiny). It feels both engaging and at the same time a good game to turn off your brain and chat with friends as you complete a mission. I don't do preorders anymore but I'm seriously considering making an exception for this game.

SomTervo

One thing that bugs me about this game is the dialogue. I really don't like that woman's voice in my ears, it sounds so forced and scripted. I can just see the director in the background all like "Remember, there's a virus that's wiped out the whole area so you need to sound like slightly down and exhausted with just a smidgen of hope." The inflection of it just annoys me, it's so damn common in games these days. https://youtu.be/Ped2_TtCQBA?t=281

Agreed. Developers really don't know how to direct voice actors in 99% of cases.

Naughty Dog are one of the only teams who get it.

I had about a day and a half with the beta and I came away very positive about it. It's the co-op loot shooter I was hoping to find in Destiny. Walking around in the city getting into random firefights just feels right (which is very much an analog to the patrol sections in Destiny). It feels both engaging and at the same time a good game to turn off your brain and chat with friends as you complete a mission. I don't do preorders anymore but I'm seriously considering making an exception for this game.
Go for it, man.
Ubisoft seems to have finally taken their head out of their ass and started to make some interesting games

SomTervo

Yup... not zombies doesnt mean not sick people infected with some engineered strain of smallpox or some other "thing". As long as they're not the simple zombie... i'm super ok with it. The enemy diversity def needs a boost. Something other than humans would be fun to go up against.

It's a clancy game - it will always just be humans.

However, I do think there may be bits where we encountered people infected or terribly sick with the disease.

In the Beta we saw, what, 4 enemy types for the Cleaners? I think there are more in the full game - but besides, there are two other factions: the Rikers and the military-enclave folk. Presumably they'll both have their own enemy/types variants.

There's also musing that part of the Division might be corrupt/gone dark. Specifically because they say the "first wave" of agents went AWOL (we're the second wave).

Go for it, man.
Ubisoft seems to have finally taken their head out of their ass and started to make some interesting games

True that.

Rainbow Six Siege and Assassin's Creed Syndicate, both incredible - and now possibly The Division.

If they pull it off, I'd even call myself a Ubisoft fan, for the first time since the mid-'00s.

Far Cry Primal looks pretty dull, though.

It's a clancy game - it will always just be humans.

However, I do think there may be bits where we encountered people infected or terribly sick with the disease.

In the Beta we saw, what, 4 enemy types for the Cleaners? I think there are more in the full game - but besides, there are two other factions: the Rikers and the military-enclave folk. Presumably they'll both have their own enemy/types variants.

There's also musing that part of the Division might be corrupt/gone dark. Specifically because they say the "first wave" of agents went AWOL (we're the second wave).

Well i mean humans strictly as functioning humans with weapons as we've seen in game so far. I think there might be another "faction" of sick, mutated, or in some way "different" people. At least i'm hoping so. Even if they're a sneaky, hide and jump attack melee type of human faction... something different or unexpected would be cool.

CRAB PEOPLE AND MOLEMANS!!!!
BOlXVEOCcAA0kuV.jpg

THERE IS NO ESCAPING FROM THE FORTRESS OF THE MOLES

Klyka

Banned
Well i mean humans strictly as functioning humans with weapons as we've seen in game so far. I think there might be another "faction" of sick, mutated, or in some way "different" people. At least i'm hoping so. Even if they're a sneaky, hide and jump attack melee type of human faction... something different or unexpected would be cool.

It's Aliens....

ILLEGAL ALIENS!

DONALD TRUMP'S THE DIVISION

SomTervo

There could be, but I think it's unlikely. Look up the 'Factions' trailer. I'm pretty sure the ones in that trailer are the only factions in the game: the Division, the Cleaners, the Rikers, and the military-folk (forget the name).

Klyka

Banned
As much as we are all trained by entertainment media to expect some weird monsters whenever a virus story shows up, usually when a deadly virus is unleashed all that happens is that people die.

And the only monsters you'll find out there are other human beings.

Tecnniqe

Banned
As much as we are all trained by entertainment media to expect some weird monsters whenever a virus story shows up, usually when a deadly virus is unleashed all that happens is that people die.

Only thing that matters is how many P's your game have

Papilloma

And people who are busy dying of a horrible disease normally wouldn't take on highly trained military types. Mostly they just curl up and die quietly :)

Raide

Zambies would have been fun. :D

One of the things I wanted to see more of was enemy NPC's getting downed, similar to players and having enemy A.I try to pick them up etc. Maybe the Lost Battalion is a bit more tactical, not like those dumb Rioters.

There could be, but I think it's unlikely. Look up the 'Factions' trailer. I'm pretty sure the ones in that trailer are the only factions in the game: the Division, the Cleaners, the Rikers, and the military-folk (forget the name).

If i had to bet i'd say you're right but I think they could really work something neat into the game mechanic wise. Maybe if there were "infected" versions of each fraction that had different behaviors, weapons, abilities, and appearances etc. Imagine "infected" Cleaners who were visually sick, deformed and 'not right'... what if they set themselves on fire at the sight of you and sprinted at you full steam ahead! Or "infected" Last Man Battalion who were also visually sick and deformed and had some creepy new ability to hide extremely well and pop out randomly throughout certain areas of the world at night and toss grenades and take shots with sniper rifles etc. Eh... i'm just a little scared that all the human, rifle shooting bad guys might blend into one boring enemy after awhile.

Kane1345

I want to see NPCs utilize the skills more (assuming they have the same skills as us) like the NPC who used a turret against me in the Darkzone. Maybe the LMB will have access to all skills like we do? Could be interesting.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I want to see NPCs utilize the skills more (assuming they have the same skills as us) like the NPC who used a turret against me in the Darkzone. Maybe the LMB will have access to all skills like we do? Could be interesting.

Sneaky AI sticky grenade the team of 4 :D

Raide

Yeah, I remember some Cleaner Engineer using a turret on me. I am guessing the LMB will be way more like Division members in terms of tactics and skills. Hopefully they have some unique ones to battle against.

Klyka

Banned
I am really sad that I can't find a picture of the legend on the map ingame anywhere.
that had the symbols for all classes of enemies on it!

And now we can start with mutants , and aliens
:)

I'd be all over mutants and aliens, at least they have brains to use weapons and stuff.
I hate zombies, they're just so boring. Running and leaping at you till the end of time. Thank god I don't have to deal with them in this game.

Smash88

Banned
I'd be all over mutants and aliens, at least they have brains to use weapons and stuff.
I hate zombies, they're just so boring. Running and leaping at you till the end of time. Thank god I don't have to deal with them in this game.

I think I am Legend "zombies" would be really cool and scary.

I am really sad that I can't find a picture of the legend on the map ingame anywhere.
that had the symbols for all classes of enemies on it!

I believe you had:

Lightning bolt: Rusher
Grenade: Grenadier
Rocket: Heavy Weapons
Shield: Tank
Medic Cross: Medic
Turret??: Engineer
Crosshairs: Sniper

SomTervo

If i had to bet i'd say you're right but I think they could really work something neat into the game mechanic wise. Maybe if there were "infected" versions of each fraction that had different behaviors, weapons, abilities, and appearances etc. Imagine "infected" Cleaners who were visually sick, deformed and 'not right'... what if they set themselves on fire at the sight of you and sprinted at you full steam ahead! Or "infected" Last Man Battalion who were also visually sick and deformed and had some creepy new ability to hide extremely well and pop out randomly throughout certain areas of the world at night and toss grenades and take shots with sniper rifles etc. Eh... i'm just a little scared that all the human, rifle shooting bad guys might blend into one boring enemy after awhile.

Could work. Quite Gears of War'ey.

We'll find out in a couple of weeks anyway :)

Yeah

Kane1345

Sneaky AI sticky grenade the team of 4 :D

Exactly. Like have a fight where a person can get hit by a sticky grenade which means the team have to split up and that person has to get away from the team so they wont be caught in the blast. Then the healer has to be on point for healing etc.

Yeah, I remember some Cleaner Engineer using a turret on me. I am guessing the LMB will be way more like Division members in terms of tactics and skills. Hopefully they have some unique ones to battle against.

Agree.

Like the boss in the morgue mission. Would be cool if he could chuck a fire turret down that has a long range or something like that. Or if fire stayed on the floor for a short while so you had to kite him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom