• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Pellham

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Here's an excerpt from the PC Gamer UK review about the radiant AI -

:lol Apparently, that's why it recieved a 93/100 instead of a perfect score

pretty lame to complain about a feature that has never before been done in RPGs. oh well, it's not like they docked 20 points off the score for it anything.

i'm sure most people aren't gonna care. :)

GreekWolf

Pellham said:
pretty lame to complain about a feature that has never before been done in RPGs. oh well, it's not like they docked 20 points off the score for it anything.

Oh, I agree. Real, believable AI is still in its infancy. Frankly, I think it's a great accomplishment that Bethseda was able to design a game where the NPCs will actually decide when, where and who to start a conversation with, of their own accord.

We have at least another decade before people should start griping about the nature of their conversations.

Pellham said:

they said if it wasn't for that and the breaking of the immersion that resulted, they'd have given it a 96% of which they've only given 4 of in their entire 10 year history (supposedly)

a very minor issue, but I'd have been a little disturbed if I heard two sets of npcs going through the same dialog at the same time within earshot of each other. I can understand the complaint about the conversation algorithm not taking into account whether nearby npcs are discussing the same thing.

So the 3 point deduction was a combination of the repetition, stilted va in npc conversations, some awkward dialogue and npcs that can't remember if they've met you before or not.

doesn't seem so unfair :)

I would at least hope that they would remember you if you tried to kill them or if they caught you stealing from them.. but perhaps they don't even remember that :lol

Helznicht

"I hear Errandil is good with a lockpick"
"I heard he's good with locks"
"Thats what I heard"
"Good Day"

Hmm, that exchange wouldnt even get a giggle out of me and surely wouldnt bring me out of immersion. What it would do it is make me track down this wretched thief and give him his just commings! :D

Wollan said:
They still got the PS3 version to finish. ;)
Will be announced at E3. My little bet, this is.

So what you're saying is...

[ ] DS Lite
[ ] Pacakes
[ ] prruuwwuuuuuuuuuu
[X ]
d.jpg

Wollan

Definetly [X] :lol

Anyhow, people with the soundtrack, 01 - Reign of the Septims, 11 - March of the Mauraders, turn up the volume on those and enjoy. Awesome stuff.

GreekWolf

Wollan said:
Definetly [X] :lol

Anyhow, people with the soundtrack, 01 - Reign of the Septims, 11 - March of the Mauraders, turn up the volume on those and enjoy. Awesome stuff.
Jeremy Soule is legendary. :D

Steve and Vark, if you're listening... do whatever it takes to lock this guy up to a long-term contract with the Elder Scrolls series.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, just to double check, I can't link to the UK PC Gamer review screens, right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
GreekWolf said:
I don't know why you couldn't? It's an off-shore publication.

Is it "off-shore" to an international english-language gaming community? Not quite.

SnakeXs

GreekWolf said:
I don't know why you couldn't? It's an off-shore publication.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but the fact that nobody's posted them has me worried. :D

I FINALLY got my copy of OXM and I have truly have no words to describe how sweet this games is.....

I'm definetly taking a whole week off from work, yep, thems the breaks but sometimes games just gotta come first.

So I bought the Oblivion Soundtrack and I'm listening to it now. It's very good, you can slightly recognize some themese from Morrowind, but the music is just so much better. I guess I would describe it as more epic. With Morrowind the music was very subdued, the Oblivion soundtrack still has some very calm music but the melodies are captivating. Not like Morrowind, which I thought was good but not something I would want to listen to in my spare time.

GreekWolf

AzureRonin said:
It's very good, you can slightly recognize some themese from Morrowind, but the music is just so much better. I guess I would describe it as more epic.
Good analysis. It retains the same "feel" as Morrowind, but the quality and scope is greatly improved in all aspects. Right now, my personal fave is track 11 - March of the Mauraders. It's the quintessential tune for a dungeon romp. Has almost a bit of a TSR Dungeons & Dragons flavor to it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Bahahaha!

7900GT OC - check.
WD Raptor - check.
a64 venice 3000+ OC@ 2.5 ghz - check.

BRING THE PAIN, BETHESDA. BRING IT.

Bebpo

Banned
Speevy said:
Just checking in - a 9.3 is incredible. And if it's just for some silly NPC dialogue, even better.

Indeed, gonna be the best game to own on the X360 for months and months to come. me thinks :)

I'm looking forward to what'll hopefully be the most enjoyable Western RPG in 5+ years.

SnakeXs

Bebpo said:
Indeed, gonna be the best game to own on the X360 for months and months to come. me thinks :)

I'm looking forward to what'll hopefully be the most enjoyable Western RPG in 5+ years.

Just remove the "on the X360" part and you're just about right.

Deducting points for repeating spoken dialogue in Oblivion is just as silly as complaining that NPCs say the same thing in every other RPG known to man when you speak to them.

Speevy

Banned
If the NPC gets annoying, kill them and the person with whom they're speaking. Because we can't have people copying each other.

Speevy said:
If the NPC gets annoying, kill them and the person with whom they're speaking. Because we can't have people copying each other.

I like the way you think my friend. Or, you can paralyze them and then punch them repeatedly. :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Say it ain't so, steve!

"A64 4400x2 with 2 GB Corsair and 2x7800GTX in SLI"
"he said I'd be lucky to get 15 fps at full settings on my rig at 1280x1024"

Rorschach

EviLore said:
Say it ain't so, steve!

Guess they brought they pain. Roofles!

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
EviLore said:
Say it ain't so, steve!

i have a hard time believing that considering that is the superhigh config performance rating on the official forums

I was planning with my x2 4400 @ 2700mhz, muskin 2gb and x1800 512 to get some serious performance with all the bells and whistles on. There is really no way to get any higher performance for a pc, except maybe with the fx-60(though its overclock is not high, and is close to the 4400 @2700) and x1900 but that system won't test out much ahead of mine or the one you posted

SnakeXs

EviLore said:
Say it ain't so, steve!

Only 8 days until I laugh*...

At PC gamers. Not really anyone here, but all the crap over the weeks/months, I will have a hefty bellowing guffah in their general direction.

P.S. You gonna play with A.A. or HDR? xD

P.S.S. Sorry, that was low. :(

golem

im seriously starting to think i should just get both the pc and 360 versions... i hate running games at less than native resolution (1680x1050), and it seems that with oblivion my 6800gt am cry

It has been said more than once that no current rig can max the game's settings out.

(and no, max does not equate to "high" settings.. if that is wrong, please correct me :) )

It wouldn't surprise me if the official specifications are woefully inadequate to play the game even on medium settings, but alas there is no public, official confirmation of that from the developers or anyone else in a position to know those kinds of things.

I think that high settings should be quite playable for a rig like that, but expecting to max out all of the distance sliders and effects is out of the question for any current rig :)

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
SnakeXs said:

At PC gamers. Not really anyone here, but all the crap over the weeks/months, I will have a hefty bellowing guffah in their general direction.

I'm going to do both considering i also have a 360 and want to see the differences between them. plus the x1800 can do both since you can force AA on a application through the catayst control center, though its not a very good solution and will probably kill the frame rate. I don't understand considering i play far cry with hdr and AA, yet they say no chipset supports it.

GreekWolf

GashPrex said:
apparently jeremy soule + morrowind = great soundtrack(the first morrowind soundtrack was great too)

otherwise i have found most of soule's work well, souless really. Better than most, but mostly average stuff

here is his mobygames page

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,10448/
His mid to late 90's work was pretty conservative, as he was just cracking the biz. I always got the impression, from listening to some of those early soundtracks, that he really didn't want to stray too far from the tried and true formulas which were the norm back then ( hiya Tallarico ). Although, I do think that Secret of Evermore was vastly underrated.

If you haven't had a chance to listen to the GuildWars CD, then I would highly recommend it. Probably his best work, outside of Morrowind and Oblivion.

Borys

Banned
SnakeXs said:

Thanks for confirming that you are and always were a troll.
+1 Ignore List

GreekWolf said:
If you haven't had a chance to listen to the GuildWars CD, then I would highly recommend it. Probably his best work, outside of Morrowind and Oblivion.
Oblivion surpasses his work in Guild Wars for me. The Guild Wars Battle Pak and Sorrow's Furnace music add-ons were even better than the original soundtrack though. Especially Sorrow's Furnace.

Now, if folks are interested in hearing some of Soule's absolute best work, then you need to run out and find the original Icewind Dale soundtrack. It still ranks as one of the absolute best game soundtracks out there IMO.

A question for Steve: What happens if I take an important item (like the Amulet of Kings) and throw it outside the border of the world where I can't go pick it up again?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
SiegfriedFM said:
A question for Steve: What happens if I take an important item (like the Amulet of Kings) and throw it outside the border of the world where I can't go pick it up again?

Certain quest-specific items like that cannot be dropped or bartered, at least not while they're important to the quest.

Top Bottom