• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Chiggs

Gold Member
FallenOne666 said:
Where'd you hear that?

Bethesda developer on the Elder Scrolls forum.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=255119&st=100&p=4595884&#entry4595884

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=256175&st=20&p=4596432&#entry4596432

On PC, HDR and AA are not supported simultaneously at all, on any video chipset, because of the way we do HDR.

If you absolutely need antialiasing (and the HDR effect looks great without it, frankly), you can switch to the bloom effect.

I don't think "any chipset" was ambiguous. It's not supported, sorry. It's true there are ways you can make HDR+AA work on ATI X1K cards, but it would have required substantial changes, and you want the game this year, right?

Pellham

Banned
Chiggs said:
So...I just discovered that the Xbox 360 version is the only version capable of doing HDR+AA. With the PC, you have to choose between HDR and AA (with bloom). Interesting.

Sounds lame, but is there a big difference between having both on and only having one on?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Pellham said:
Sounds lame, but is there a big difference between having both on and only having one on?

The bottom line is that, frankly, HDR with no AA will still look awesome; however, HDR+AA will probably look a little nicer.

Perhaps this is why some of the preview articles mentioned that the game ran a tad smoother on the pc--it didn't have AA on.

Chiggs said:
Perhaps this is why some of the preview articles mentioned that the game ran a tad smoother on the pc--it didn't have AA on.

It did NOT have AA on. One of the previews did explicitly mention this.

syllogism

edit: amazing, it's true. Anyway, it's not like x360 will have anti aliasing, heh :p There are cards that support both, so it's kind of silly if you really can't have both on at once.

Just for further reference.
pm2.jpg

Xdrive05

Any reports yet on how this game runs on different PC hardware?

My system is just a tad over "recommended", but nowhere near as good as the test PCs which were apparently not running perfectly even at a modest resolution.

I really want this game but I'm not going to buy a 360 with no HDtv yet either.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
I'm going to ask a question begging for ridicule, but how would this play on my 1.8 GHz Athlon 64 2800+, 512 MB ram, Radeon 9600 XTSec?

Be brutal.

Pellham

Banned
Future Trunks said:
I'm going to ask a question begging for ridicule, but how would this play on my 1.8 GHz Athlon 64 2800+, 512 MB ram, Radeon 9600 XTSec?

Be brutal.

Probably equivalent to playing Morrowind on a Celeron

Future Trunks said:

Be brutal.

800x600 low settings would be my assessment.

512mb of ram and the 9600XT are going to hurt you quite a bit.

mikeGFG

Banned
Only ten days?? Come on Bethesda, bombard us with gameplay videos.

ES4 isn't even coming close to a fraction of GRAW's hype. 1up better get the Oblivion scoop next week, Gametrailers.com even... Hell, I'd be happy as fuck if IGN's weekly Chobot show got the exclusive. Oblivion needs more hype damnit.

GreekWolf

Wollan said:
*Downloading music now*
Track 13 - "Glory of Cyrodill" is worth the price of the CD.

Someone correct me, but isn't that also the track that was playing in the background on the E3 video?

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
From that website, it seems as though I'd need to double my RAM and get a higher end graphics card to play the game at X360 levels. That could work, as it'd be a while before I tackle Oblivion anyway, plenty of time to save up money while I get the finances straight and finish up on the GC backlog.

Thanks all.

EDIT: Hell, I may have a new PC by then....

DMczaf

Future Trunks said:
From that website, it seems as though I'd need to double my RAM and get a higher end graphics card to play the game at X360 levels. That could work, as it'd be a while before I tackle Oblivion anyway, plenty of time to save up money while I get the finances straight and finish up on the GC backlog.

Thanks all.

EDIT: Hell, I may have a new PC by then....

Or you could just get a 360 and join us. :)

ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Wollan

Ok, I've been listening to this soundtrack for a while now and damn me, this may very well be Jeremy Souls best work yet. A huge accomplishment. Just how it flows and stuff.

Future Trunks

DMczaf said:
Or you could just get a 360 and join us. :)

ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Pfft! I ain't spendin' $500 on a machine that I don't have time to play (and will be $100 cheaper by the time I do)! :p I gots bills mang. :(

Jeremy Souls? His name sounds familiar, did he do BG's music?

GreekWolf

Future Trunks said:
Pfft! I ain't spendin' $500 on a machine that I don't have time to play (and will be $100 cheaper by the time I do)! :p I gots bills mang. :(

Jeremy Souls? His name sounds familiar, did he do BG's music?

He also did Guild Wars, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Knights of the Old Republic, Icewind Dale and the upcoming Prey.

Probably my favorite composer. I think he tutored under John Williams.

syllogism

Actually Soule did not compose Baldur's Gate 1&2 soundtracks (Michael Hoenig did), just Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

PC Gamer UK reviewed Oblivion, giving it 93%. Their complained about NPC's repeating scripted conversations and not remembering if they had talked to you before. They really liked the game, however.

edit: now this guy is saying it was actually the forced nature of the conversations "ie. stilted and comical rather than they were repeated. Some of the repeats were the same words but voiced by diferent actors" (?). Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me.

Wollan

GreekWolf said:
Track 13 - "Glory of Cyrodill" is worth the price of the CD.

It's great but you know what? When I hear it now Im reminded of that 'IwannabeJohnCarmack' voice from the video-demonstration. I feel like he's holding my hand and telling me of the beautiful fauna. :/

GreekWolf said:
He also did Guild Wars, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Knights of the Old Republic, Icewind Dale and the upcoming Prey.

Probably my favorite composer. I think he tutored under John Williams.

He also did the music for Total Annihilation, which is an awesome score. It was my first exposure to his work, I didn't know who he was then. I just thought it was a brilliant idea to use slow, haunting music in an RTS game, even during the fights. It worked perfectly.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
syllogism said:
Actually Soule did not compose Baldur's Gate 1&2 soundtracks (Michael Hoenig did), just Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

PC Gamer UK reviewed Oblivion, giving it 93%. Their complained about NPC's repeating scripted conversations and not remembering if they had talked to you before. They really liked the game, however.

edit: now this guy is saying it was actually the forced nature of the conversations "ie. stilted and comical rather than they were repeated. Some of the repeats were the same words but voiced by diferent actors" (?). Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me.

That's the automatic NPC to NPC conversation system. Conversations are made up of statements and responses -- there are tables that match them together based on all sorts of conditions, basically giving NPCs the ability to have conversations with each other without having them all be 100% scripted. These conversations are sometimes random, idle chatter, but most often they're talking about stuff that's going on in the game's world. For example, you'll hear people talking about events in the main quest, and that chatter will change as you progress through it. In addition, folks will gossip about things, and you can listen in on those conversations to get hints about miscellaneous quests, interesting places to visit, where you might find trainers of certain skills, etc. You'll also hear guild-specific NPC to NPC conversations in the guild halls. So the chatter is different in different towns, locations, and varies as you play the game. And when you hear something interesting you can usually talk to the NPCs to find out more -- it often leads to a quest. It pays to wander around towns and listen in on what folks are saying to each other.

Future Trunks

Ah, okay. Either way, I figured he sounded familiar since I have IWD and BG:DA.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
SteveMeister said:
That's the automatic NPC to NPC conversation system. Conversations are made up of statements and responses -- there are tables that match them together based on all sorts of conditions, basically giving NPCs the ability to have conversations with each other without having them all be 100% scripted. These conversations are sometimes random, idle chatter, but most often they're talking about stuff that's going on in the game's world. For example, you'll hear people talking about events in the main quest, and that chatter will change as you progress through it. In addition, folks will gossip about things, and you can listen in on those conversations to get hints about miscellaneous quests, interesting places to visit, where you might find trainers of certain skills, etc. You'll also hear guild-specific NPC to NPC conversations in the guild halls. So the chatter is different in different towns, locations, and varies as you play the game. And when you hear something interesting you can usually talk to the NPCs to find out more -- it often leads to a quest. It pays to wander around towns and listen in on what folks are saying to each other.

And to those who dare complain about a bit of repetition in lines they've heard in a game of this scope, get a life and dare think of a better solution than this.

I think it's perfect. I can't wait to sit (well, stand around) in a bar and hear idle banter all around me. A few repeated lines are fine by me.

Krowley

the conversation system sounds really sweet IMO. that complaint is a little like bitching because npc characters don't slowly grow beards and have to shave.... There is going to be some abstraction in a game this big and as far as i know, computers aren't smart enough to do random improvised voice acting... but it sounds like they gave it a good score and so far it's getting the kind of scores i expected.

If it's like the other elder scrolls games, there may be some rough patches here and there, simply because it's so huge, but i expected that. i probably won't get to play it for a while, because i can't afford a 360 right now, but i'm set on buying one eventually for this game.. I'm willing to spend 500 dollars just to play it (if i had 500 dollars). There is nothing else on the 360 that i can't stand to miss... there are a few other games on the horizon that interest me (like too human and the sci fi RPG from bioware) but this is the only thing that's really tempting me to make a purchase. I probably won't even start the main quest for months after i buy it... i could probably spend weeks just making a ranger type character and running around playing "deer hunter" in the woods with a bow.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Holy shit! I just saw the scans from the PC Gamer review...you guys won't believe what's possible in that game. Wow. My jaw dropped.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Chiggs said:
Holy shit! I just saw the scans from the PC Gamer review...you guys won't believe what's possible in that game. Wow. My jaw dropped.

Ah, I've been waiting for that review to reach the public.

What was the final score/Rating? Not that I care too much, since I'm locked into this game, but I like to see my favorite games get the recognition they deserve. :)

UltraMagnanimous said:
93%

They reveal one Dark Brotherhood quest that sounds bloody amazing.

Nice! I'm trying to stay mostly spoiler free now, heading into the game. I want to really be surprised and discover as much as I can on my own. Can't wait!

SteveMeister said:
Oh, you meant PC Gamer UK. I thought you meant PC Gamer in the US. They have a review in the next issue as well.

It's a great review btw. Seven pages and not a single mention of graphics (well OK, one, and it's just to say that they're 'magnificently rendered'). Refreshing, considering it's been all people have been discussing recently.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
UltraMagnanimous said:
It's a great review btw. Seven pages and not a single mention of graphics (well OK, one, and it's just to say that they're 'magnificently renedered'). Refreshing considering it's been all people have been discussing recently.

I'll have to see if I can get a copy through work :)

GreekWolf

Here's an excerpt from the PC Gamer UK review about the radiant AI -

"Sadly, the illusion is shattered when they try to talk to each other - the AI controlling who they speak to and what they say is terrible and Oblivion's only real problem. Never mind that causal conversations are hilariously forced exchanges such as:

"I hear Errandil is good with a lockpick"
"I heard he's good with locks"
"Thats what I heard"
"Good Day"

:lol Apparently, that's why it recieved a 93/100 instead of a perfect score

Top Bottom