• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I don't think this is true at all. I have collected a ton of keys over the course of playing, and those places are not my house. For instance, upon joining the Mage Guild, I got a key for the guild houses, and I can sleep there for free, but it is not safe to leave things there. Do so at your own risk!

But the guild houses are just regular areas, you can just pick the locks and get through anyway. The White Stallion Lodge is like a house in that you can't get in without the key being given to you. Plus it was sort of implied that it was "mine" when the count gave me the key. I better move all my shit just to be sure though.

Confidence Man said:
But the guild houses are just regular areas, you can just pick the locks and get through anyway. The White Stallion Lodge is like a house in that you can't get in without the key being given to you. Plus it was sort of implied that it was "mine" when the count gave me the key. I better move all my shit just to be sure though.

Well, perhaps Steve can sort it out for us. All I know, is that I wouldn't trust any place that I didn't purchase as an actual house. I haven't done that quest yet, so perhaps you do get ownership of the house, but all I was saying is that having a key doesn't make it yours. For instance, I got a key for someones house in another quest, so that I could get inside, but that house doesn't belong to me either.

Oh! And we're over 5000 posts in this thread! :D

Confidence Man said:

I'll see you on the road, brother!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
With my main character I stored my stuff in the white stallion lodge. 100 game days or whatever, nothing disappeared.

EviLore said:
With my main character I stored my stuff in the white stallion lodge. 100 game days or whatever, nothing disappeared.

That sounds like pretty good proof that it's safe. I guess after completing that quest, you do own the house. I think normal storage time is only a week or so before things start to disappear.

Sysgen

Do The Mario said:
Every time I level up I only get to add three or two points to my stats, so I waited until I got a lot of extra skill level ups before leveling and in didn’t change a thing all that happen is after leveling up I was about to level up again.

I kind of feel I should be adding more points to my status because the game is getting hard for my level 9 assassin.

Play with the slider 2 clicks to the left. That was recommended here and that's what I'm doing.

GhaleonEB

First impressions!*

I got the Collector's Edition of the 360 version. It finally showed up in the mail today after being in transit for eight days from bestbuy.com. First, I'm a little disappointed by the packaging. The only other LE I had bought was of Halo 2 and I was hoping for a more solid package, and perhaps a slipcover. Perhaps the Halo 2 LE spoiled me. But it's not bad.

I like the coin - it has a nice rustic feel to it. Nice little bonus.

The Pocket Guide looks great. I have not read much of it but this is the kind of background stuff that I love. I'll read more of it later today. I got a kick out of the introduction - I expected some context but it sticks with the authentic feel and perspective.

Manual - color. I like.

Map - I was hoping for a cloth map but this will do.

Questions: Does the bonus DVD play in a regular DVD player? And does it contain spoiler material?

I like it quite a bit so far.

*I don't have a 360 yet because I can't f'ing find one. Make more, MS, curse you!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
BenjaminBirdie said:
Anyone know a merchant who can break the 4g barrier?

I'm pretty sure there isn't a merchant in the game with that much gold. Probably only way you can get near the correct amount of money on that is to invest in the merchant (only available if you're master mercantile), so that they have that much money to buy back from you.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GhaleonEB said:
Questions: Does the bonus DVD play in a regular DVD player? And does it contain spoiler material?

It's a standard DVD, so yes. It contains mild spoilers, mostly about which characters the various voice actors play. Otherwise it's mostly about the process of making the game and getting ready for the E3 demo last year.

jedimike

IMO, the bonus DVD is really the only thing of value. The documentary gives you a good amount of insight to the daily lives of the Bethesda employees.

OT: When did we become NeoGAF?

jedimike said:
IMO, the bonus DVD is really the only thing of value. The documentary gives you a good amount of insight to the daily lives of the Bethesda employees.

OT: When did we become NeoGAF?

The Pocket Guide to the Empire is beyond awesome. The mythology and history of Tamriel is so interesting. For me, that had the most value.*

If you don't like reading, then I see why you don't find much value in it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Thanks to the "Dorian" trick, I've purchased almost every single spell in the game for my level 7 Nord Crusader. Some of these spells I probably won't ever use. But hey, when you got millions and millions to blow with no end in sight (unless Bethesda stealth patches something), why not?

Chiggs said:
Thanks to the "Dorian" trick, I've purchased almost every single spell in the game for my level 7 Nord Crusader. Some of these spells I probably won't ever use. But hey, when you got millions and millions to blow with no end in sight (unless Bethesda stealth patches something), why not?

Because it breaks some of the challenge of the game and takes away some of the fun of actually earning it?

What's the best way to build up your mercantile skill? I recently listened to an interview with Pete Hines (Bethesda VP) where he stated that the Mercantile skill level ups are determined by gold, not by quantity, but that doesn't seem to be true as I am around level 20 and sell a full load of $1200 items from each dungeon raid/quest and I still only seem to naturally build up this skill once per level up. I am spending all 5 trainer points on Mercantile on each level up and I've gotten it up to the 40s, but it's still taking forever and at this rate I'll be level 30+ before I get it to Master level (assuming that I invest all training points into this one skill!) so that I can invest in the merchants and make more money.

Why do I need the gold?
To buy and fully furnish all of the houses, of course!

Can anyone help?

P.S. Money generation and item duplication techniques are WEAK!

newsguy

Hey all, I have a question for the thieves here. I'm doing the guild quest where:

you have to recover the book. You get arrested (or take a job in the castle). If you get arrested and you escape from jail and take the other thief with you, how the heck do I get all my stuff back. The guards take all of your gold and pretty much everything I own. Considering I didn't serve my time in order to complete the mission, how the heck do I get all that stuff back???

Vark

newsguy said:
Hey all, I have a question for the thieves here. I'm doing the guild quest where:

you have to recover the book. You get arrested (or take a job in the castle). If you get arrested and you escape from jail and take the other thief with you, how the heck do I get all my stuff back. The guards take all of your gold and pretty much everything I own. Considering I didn't serve my time in order to complete the mission, how the heck do I get all that stuff back???

There's an evidence chest in the jail that has all your crap in it.

jedimike

mmlemay said:
What's the best way to build up your mercantile skill?

I remember gaining skill from simply haggling over price. However, it isn't one of my major skills, so I really haven't paid much attention to how well I'm leveling in it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I can't seem to find the mid-athletics trainer :(

Edit:

Rather I can find one of them (Hauls-Rope-Faster)
But he does not offer to train me (My skill is over 40)

Richiban

mmlemay said:
What's the best way to build up your mercantile skill?

It also helps to break into people's houses while they sleep, clean out the place and sell everything to a fence. Of course, you have to be a part of the thieves guild to do that.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Because it breaks some of the challenge of the game and takes away some of the fun of actually earning it?

That's certainly true. But thanks to the scaling system, it's not like this money is making my character infinitely powerful. There's still plenty of challenge to be had, and I can still adjust the slider.

datamage

Hmm,. I've played about 18h (not counting that I've restarted once already) and I'm contemplating on starting all over again. I'm playing a pure melee/warrior type character and have the following major skills; Blade, Blunt, Blocking, Athletics, Illusion, Speechcraft, Heavy Armor.

I don't know, I just feel that I've made a mistake, I'm rarely getting multipliers over +3, and I made some hasty decisions with my major skills. (I didn't exactly know how the system worked @ the time.) I'm also thinking on maybe playing a different character, the thief stuff sounds cool, or maybe a caster of some kind. Can you guys recommend some nice custom characters? I wish that I didn't choose Illusion for a major skill. Since I'm constantly using a light spell, I raise the skill often and level up pretty quickly without getting a chance to level up my other skills. I also could have kept Blunt as a minor to work on the +STR multiplier. Ah well... decisions decisions.. anyone else feel this way?

(Sorry for the ramble.)

GhaleonEB

SteveMeister said:
It's a standard DVD, so yes. It contains mild spoilers, mostly about which characters the various voice actors play. Otherwise it's mostly about the process of making the game and getting ready for the E3 demo last year.
Thanks, Steve. I'll watch it tonight. Hopefully that and the pocket guide will last until I find my 360. :(

Crow

datamage said:
Hmm,. I've played about 18h (not counting that I've restarted once already) and I'm contemplating on starting all over again. I'm playing a pure melee/warrior type character and have the following major skills; Blade, Blunt, Blocking, Athletics, Illusion, Speechcraft, Heavy Armor.

I don't know, I just feel that I've made a mistake, I'm rarely getting multipliers over +3, and I made some hasty decisions with my major skills. (I didn't exactly know how the system worked @ the time.) I'm also thinking on maybe playing a different character, the thief stuff sounds cool, or maybe a caster of some kind. Can you guys recommend some nice custom characters? I wish that I didn't choose Illusion for a major skill. Since I'm constantly using a light spell, I raise the skill often and level up pretty quickly without getting a chance to level up my other skills. I also could have kept Blunt as a minor to work on the +STR multiplier. Ah well... decisions decisions.. anyone else feel this way?

(Sorry for the ramble.)

I started with a stealth character, but dropped him for a Mage character once he reached level 26. Magic is alot of fun, so I'd say definetly go with a caster.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I thought that, although the Italian version does not even allow you to use English subtitles, the translated subtitles were given good care...

After odd sentences and numerous typos as well as some grammatical errors in the various books (yes, all translated :() I was prepared for more of the same, but now I encountered the first sentence meaning warping translation...

This "The Blades were trusted with our Lord's protection and they failed" becomes "Gli Spadaccini erano sotto la protezione di Nostro Signoree hanno fallito." which is translated back as "The Blades were under our Lord's protection and they failed".

:(... I hope it is a very isolated accident as typo's and gramamr mistakes are still relatively fine (who does not commit one of them once in a while ;)), but changing the meaning of sentences spoken or written is much more annoying.

Moving along to the Imperial City... otherwise wow, exploring the various caves gives such a feeling of RUSH as you sneak around them trying to detect maybe deadly monsters before they destroy you :D.

knitoe

datamage said:

(Sorry for the ramble.)

I thought I made a mistake too by going blade / block / Heavy Armor, but not now. The most important thing I have learned. You gotta know to block their attacks, swing sword 2X quickly (free hits), and then, block. Repeat. They will never touch if you do this. With this method, any single target is a piece of cake. If you have hight SNEAK, use it to open with 6X crit.

After 35 levels, I finally started on main quest. Lets just say, NPC helpers don't powerup like monsters do. They are still using / wearing iron stuff and die right away. Thus, I endup going toe to toe 3-5 against Daedric graded things and still don't have much of a problem.

snaildog

I had to drop half my armour in the first Oblivion gate to carry some of the cool weapons I found - ended up storming the castle with no pants or shoes on, my guy's bare white legs looked hilarious.

Fusebox

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

Amen to that. Making a big, genuinely earned purchase in an RPG can be hugely satisfying imo.

knitoe

KarishBHR said:
how the hell do i kill a willow wisp?

I meet my 1st willow wisp today and I thought OMG I am in for a ass kicking. Instead, I just continue to swing my Umbra and nothing else. It died in seconds. Guess, being lvl 35 is priceless.:lol

ijm72

Does anybody know where I can buy a spell or a scroll to fortify magicka?
I am doing the mages guild quest where you have open the pillar by doing magic on it. I translated the phrases and it seems like I need to do a fire spell, a frost spell, a magic drain spell, and a magic fortification spell. I have the other three but the only one that I could find for fortifying magic required a 50 restoration skill but I only have 40.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
ijm72 said:
Does anybody know where I can buy a spell or a scroll to fortify magicka?
I am doing the mages guild quest where you have open the pillar by doing magic on it. I translated the phrases and it seems like I need to do a fire spell, a frost spell, a magic drain spell, and a magic fortification spell. I have the other three but the only one that I could find for fortifying magic required a 50 restoration skill but I only have 40.

There's a crate/barrel next to the male NPC that has what you need.

GreekWolf

datamage said:
Can you guys recommend some nice custom characters?
Out of all the characters I've played around with, my Shadow Knight has been by far the most fun. I've continually tweaked the stats, and feel that these are the most accurate for the prototypical Everquest/D&D Shadow Knight -

I chose the warrior birthsign, for the strength/endurance bonus to wear heavy armor and dish out punishment. Specialization - Combat. My two primary attributes are Strength and Intelligence ( which you'll need for summoning pets ). Seven major skills are - Blade, Armorer, Heavy Armor, Conjuration, Block, Security and Restoration -

Basically, what you want to do, is load up on the heavy armor, and always carry a longsword and shield. You're a Knight, not a Barbarian Warrior, so stay away from Claymores, Warhammers, or any other two-handed weapons. Purchase a low level conjuration spell ( like bind boots ) and cast it on yourself repeatedly, until you build your skill level up to at least apprentice. Whenever you go into battle, always summon a skeleton or a daedra to fight alongside you. Twice the damage output that way, and it can help save your ass when fighting an entire room full of enemies. Throw in a Lifetap spell between rounds ( Consume Health/Restoration ) to steal hitpoints and add them to your own.

I'ved played through several different race/class combinations... and the Shadow Knight rocks!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
that was... interesting. I did the final thieves guild quest and I was seen *just* as I was running through a door. This seemed to have the effect and breaking the entire concept of guards chasing me.

When I got back to town, all the guards were actively searching for someone. I stripped off all my chameleon equipment and stopped sneaking and tried to talk to one of em. Game wouldn't let me talk. I walked circles around em, they kept searching for some unkown enemy. Tried a different area in town elven/merket/etc all the same.

The most irritating part of this was the battle music was continually playing and I could not fast travel because enemies are near by. Well I wasn't about to permanently lose the ability to fast travel and I didn't have a save file I could load unless I wanted to go pretty far back. So it was time for some experimentation.

So I took out my bow, walked up to a guard, and shot him in the face and point black range. The guard stared at me for a bit, shouted, 'Hey I'm on your side!' turned around, and proceeding to start beating on the nearest civilian who just happened to be a high rank guy from the mage's guil.

A few more guards came to help, but the mage and his flame atronarchs were able to scare them off. The mage's summons seem to hate me and try to attack me, but the mage himself doesn't care.

Bewildered, I walked out of the city and it finally let me fast travel.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Picked it up tonight. Not sure how I feel about it yet. There's almost too much stuff in the game. But it's definitely not bad.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Alright. Someone help me. Where are the Ayelid ruins? I need these stones, you see....

Do you know which quest / power-up I'm talking about?

Tat

Banned
My mouse pointer is hovering over the buy button for a 360/Oblivion bundle ($588 :/) as we speak. Even though I will have to eat noodles for the rest of the month and I don't usually buy consoles for 2-3 games that interest me.

Anyhow.. They're out of the RGB cable but have the S-Video one in stock. So is S-Video better than RGB or the other way around? :eek:

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
If you have a steady income, do what I did. I wanted a 360 but not to drop $600 all at once, so I got a BB credit card with 6 month financing on it. No interest if I pay it off in six months isn't bad in my book.

firex

Ayleid ruins are any dungeon that shows up as a Sunburst/Starburst type of thing on your map. Like a cross with a circle around it.

epmode

Do The Mario said:
Every time I level up I only get to add three or two points to my stats, so I waited until I got a lot of extra skill level ups before leveling and in didn’t change a thing all that happen is after leveling up I was about to level up again.
When it comes to the level-up bonuses, whether or not the skill is minor or major makes no difference. Here's how it works (as far as I can tell):

Every time you increase a skill, the game keeps track of which stat governs the skill (blade = strength, destruction = willpower). Not sure what the exact formula is, but it seems to take 10 full skill increases in one particular stat to get the full +5 bonus at level-up. ie 1 blunt, 5 blade and 4 unarmed combat skill-ups will get you +5 to strength when you finally level.

Just remember that once you raise 10 major skills, you're flagged for a level-up and any additional skill buffing will go toward your NEXT level-up. So power leveling one of your major skills at the exclusion of all others can cause problems, since the monsters will all get more powerful, but only one of your stats will increase accordingly.

datamage

Hmm, I decided I wanted to try a thief. I chose these major skills; sneak, security, blade, athletics, light armor, armorer, marksman. How does this sound? So far sneaking around and shooting arrows is lots of fun.

Speevy said:
I'm either doing something wrong, or

that fortify exploit isn't a permanent adjustment to your skills

It's not meant to be permanent. It lasts for the duration you set for the Fortify spell. Just recast before the timer is up.

Speevy

Banned
The obvious reason I thought it was permanent is because you could do something similar in Morrowind and keep your stats. I'm actually relieved that it's not permanent, as I now have no reason to do it again. I'll earn the points. (my cheats are all or nothing. :p)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Vyse The Legend said:
It's not meant to be permanent. It lasts for the duration you set for the Fortify spell. Just recast before the timer is up.

What is the point of the Weakness to Magika then?

Top Bottom