• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

snaildog

Pellham said:
i applaud your role playing but you might wanna try an evil char next round. considerably more fun.
Yeah I'll probably play through as an evil sorcerer some time, maybe when an expansion comes out. Or I might just turn evil in this game if I feel like it, you never know.

Meier

I'm playing sporadically on Agent Dormer's copy and I'm up to the Oblivion gate. As an avid Elderscrolls fan, I'm very pleased. :)

Stryder said:
Ok, so the game thinks my character is a vampire, but I am not one. The only way I see out of this is by contracting that disease so that I do become a vampire, can anyone recommend me a place where vampire's hang out so that I can go and get bit? :lol

I've already done that quest for the Count in that town (forgot the details) where you had to slay the vampires, are there more elsewhere?

Being a vampire is a pain in the ass but if you really want to be one there's a ton of 'em hanging around. Check out the sewer system in the Imperial City. They love raw sewage evidently. You can also do the Dark Brotherhood quests. After finishing the first 5 or so you'll be given the opportunity to become a vampire whenever you want.

raYne

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
You can also do the Dark Brotherhood quests. After finishing the first 5 or so you'll be given the opportunity to become a vampire whenever you want.
Until you
kill him that is...

1143580900_fullres.jpg

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=161

Get the color map mod.
Works with BTmod. Match made in heaven.
Looks great.

Xdrive05

NOOOOO!!! I lost most my best sword!

I had put a lot of stuff in a chest (to conserve weight) in the Merchant's Inn thinking it would always be there later... but no... just checked it... empty! One of the lost items was this enchanted pirate sword that was cool as hell too.

Is there anywhere in the game to deposit items so that I can go back much later on and get them again?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
^^^

Buy a house. Anything you leave there is totally safe.

BTW,
Color Maps + LOD & Normal Texture upgrades + BTMod = HOOOOOLY SHIT!

firex

yeah, I meant that I'd add in fort magic too. But I'm probably going to make an absurdly overpowered spell that fortifies a lot of attributes and skills as well, just to enchant it on armor. that reminds me, I haven't gone out to earn enough cash yet to mess with enchants and spellcrafting, but what are the limits for enchanting armor? I know the weapon ones (the stronger the spell you use, the less charges it has) but surely there's a balancing factor for armor?

Uh, could someone explain what the hell is wrong with my game? I just start up a save... any save, and it zooms out on my character in some cinematic view or something and won't let me do anything other than swoop the camera around him and zoom in. Nothing I press does anything. What the HELL?

No I was just wandering around a cave. And it isn't just one save, it's all of them. Everyone just zooms right the hell out and that's that. It's like some key is stuck but I can't find any stuck keys.

Ecrofirt

TemplaerDude said:
No I was just wandering around a cave. And it isn't just one save, it's all of them. Everyone just zooms right the hell out and that's that. It's like some key is stuck but I can't find any stuck keys.

sounds like the mode that happens when you hold in the middle mouse button.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
firex said:
yeah, I meant that I'd add in fort magic too. But I'm probably going to make an absurdly overpowered spell that fortifies a lot of attributes and skills as well, just to enchant it on armor. that reminds me, I haven't gone out to earn enough cash yet to mess with enchants and spellcrafting, but what are the limits for enchanting armor? I know the weapon ones (the stronger the spell you use, the less charges it has) but surely there's a balancing factor for armor?

I almost don't wanna answer because of your tag, but:

I believe it's all in the gem. Say a great soul gem will add 6 to protection, a grand will add 9.

ARgh, okay, it was the middle button on my mouse, but since I'm using a G5, which is notoriously difficult to middle click, it took me 10 minutes to get it right.
Talk about annoying.

syllogism said:
It's unplayable on 1920x1440 (3200+, 1gb, 7800gs), but runs well enough on 1280x960. I'm using (you should be able to find them at TES source):

808-Better Water-TESSource.esp
Landscape LOD replacement textures for Oblivion
ForeverView.esp

If I recall correctly, these are the changes I've made in the ini:

uGridDistantTreeRange=50
uGridDistantCount=50 (I haven't touched gridstoload)
bUseWaterReflectionsMisc=1
bUseWaterReflectionsStatics=1
bUseWaterReflectionsTrees=1
bUseWaterReflectionsActors=1
bUseWaterReflections=1
bAllow30Shaders=1

Thanks man. These tweaks and mod combinations are great. PC Mods FTW.

winalot

I had a pretty strange occurance last night, I was heading to close an Oblivion Gate near Bruma and on the way thought I'd get the bound dagger and gauntlets from the stone south of Cloud Ruler Temple, so I did so.
When I entered the gate, after the loading screen my character was fighting hand-to-hand stylee even though I had the dagger and a shield equipped, view completely blocked by the shield and it ended up crashing soon after (X360) =/

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
snaildog said:
Anyone else playing through as a goodie-good and missing out on the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guilds too? :(

Yeah, I am. Think I might see if there's any way to bring the Thieves Guild to justice - obviously I won't even come into contact with the Dark Brotherhood, since I never kill innocents.

Next time round, though, pure evil.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Im playing all good, though i sometimes do mean things, like drain the health of the adoring fan (I needed health!), or throw corpses into rivers of lava in oblivion, or try to freak out npcs by throwing crap corpses at them.

My next playthough is gonna be a assasin/mage/thief & maybe a vampire, havent decided on that one.

Stryder

Why not do both good and evil?
I've finished the Arena and the Mages quest line, and now working on the Dark Brotherhood. Is there a penalty for being both good and evil?
winalot said:
I had a pretty strange occurance last night, I was heading to close an Oblivion Gate near Bruma and on the way thought I'd get the bound dagger and gauntlets from the stone south of Cloud Ruler Temple, so I did so.
When I entered the gate, after the loading screen my character was fighting hand-to-hand stylee even though I had the dagger and a shield equipped, view completely blocked by the shield and it ended up crashing soon after (X360) =/
Yeah, the same thing happened to me, it was a bit wierd. There are a few bugs in this game but with the scale of what Bethesda has attempted to create, that is a given thing to happen I think.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
dont think so, i just wanted to leave some quests to do for my second playthrough (aka the playthough where i piss around with magic & stuff) so im not just retreading my steps.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
anyone know where i should look for daedric gauntlets, helmets, and shields? i'm level 26, and i find tons of daedric boots, greaves, and cuirasses on marauders and high-level dremora, but they never seem to wear the rest of the set. i've seen one friendly npc with a daedric shield, and i'm thinking of killing her for it. :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the gauntlets are what i really want -- i've got a sigil stone with a +12 blade enchantment, and daedric gauntlets just seem like the right place to put it. i'll try that boethia quest, and of course i've got plenty of oblivion gates to close.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ok, I think either I've hit a bug or I'm just not seeing how to complete this quest, towards the end of the Fighter's Guild line:

The quest to check on that town, forget it's name, but the townspeople are being killed by wisps, and when you kill the wisps you get a quest update telling you to investigate the nearby cave, Swamp Cave. I went in, and it's full of trolls. I wipe out the trolls and head to the room marked with the green quest arrow.

Inside this room are three skeletons, two zombies, and a chest. No quest stuff at all. I head out and finish off the rest of the trolls, which triggers a quest update, saying all the trolls are dead that I should look around to see what happened to the villagers. That's it. Going to the "green quest arrow" room does nothing.

I looked in the guide and it says I should find the body of Eduard Denile or some such, but there's no body. What gives? Am I just in the wrong room, or am I bugged?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Has anyone found any underwater ruins/dungeons/caves yet? I always thought those were fun and cool in Morrowind, but I haven't run across any in Oblivion. I figured there had to be some in there somewhere.

I had my first crash of the game (360 version) last night. Crashed right after I rested in an Inn. Hope my autosave isn't screwed up. Didn't have a chance to go back and play some more after the crash.

I'm almost finished getting all the recommendations to get into the Arcane University. I think I'm working on the final one. These quests have been kinda boring and feel more mundane than most of the other ones I've done, and certainly not as fun as the Thieves Guild Quests. I know getting into the University will be worth it in the long run, but right now, it's tedious.

Sysgen

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Has anyone found any underwater ruins/dungeons/caves yet? I always thought those were fun and cool in Morrowind, but I haven't run across any in Oblivion. I figured there had to be some in there somewhere.

I hit up a fort in the beginning of the game that had a couple underwater passages.

Per my frustration with the Castle siege quest, I decided to roll back the game a bit and see if I can tackle it later when I have some better equipment or spells.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Kung Fu Jedi said:

I had my first crash of the game (360 version) last night. Crashed right after I rested in an Inn. Hope my autosave isn't screwed up. Didn't have a chance to go back and play some more after the crash.

I'm almost finished getting all the recommendations to get into the Arcane University. I think I'm working on the final one. These quests have been kinda boring and feel more mundane than most of the other ones I've done, and certainly not as fun as the Thieves Guild Quests. I know getting into the University will be worth it in the long run, but right now, it's tedious.

I went in some cave for a quest and one of the exits from that place (not the original entrance that I used) was a somewhat hidden cave guarded by a very large fish and there was an entrance/exit out to the middle of the sea.

Thats the closest I've seen.

StRaNgE

Banned
So what are the positives and negitives of becoming a vampire?

if you become one can you be cured?

alsohow long does this hier follow me around. he bugs me. :lol

Xdrive05

Mejilan said:
^^^

Buy a house. Anything you leave there is totally safe.

BTW,
Color Maps + LOD & Normal Texture upgrades + BTMod = HOOOOOLY SHIT!

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Any suggestion on where is best to buy a house? Thanks.

And yes, those PC mods are phenominal. They really added a lot for me. :)

Ok, I encountered my first difficult Brotherhood quest:

When you're supposed to assassinate the guard captain with the Rose of Sithis arrow or whatever it's called. I figured out you have to wait until he goes swimming, but I thought the arrow was a one hit kill? Every time I fired it at him he would just put on his armor and attack. What gives? My marksman skill is really low (bows are for pussies) so that might have something to do with it. I ended up killing him when he came after me, but I'd like to know why he didn't die when I hit him with the arrow.

Xdrive05

StRaNgE said:
So what are the positives and negitives of becoming a vampire?

if you become one can you be cured?

alsohow long does this hier follow me around. he bugs me. :lol

Did you not take him up to the castle where the Blades live yet? If you do he stays there (at least so far in my game).

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Jugendstil said:
Ok, I encountered my first difficult Brotherhood quest:

When you're supposed to assassinate the guard captain with the Rose of Sithis arrow or whatever it's called. I figured out you have to wait until he goes swimming, but I thought the arrow was a one hit kill? Every time I fired it at him he would just put on his armor and attack. What gives? My marksman skill is really low (bows are for pussies) so that might have something to do with it. I ended up killing him when he came after me, but I'd like to know why he didn't die when I hit him with the arrow.

are you sure you were hitting the portoin of him that was out of the water? If you fire an arrow into water in this game, its speed slows down radically and so unless the thing you are trying to hit is only like an inch deep in the water, the arrow will do damage. I just shot him in the head with the rose of sithis and he died instantly.

Yeah, I've been in a couple of caves where you had to dive under water to get to the next area, or swim around some, but I haven't found a dungeon or cave whose entrance is competely submerged. At least not yet. I'll have to keep looking! :)

StRaNgE

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
Did you not take him up to the castle where the Blades live yet? If you do he stays there (at least so far in my game).

nope, not yet, we got back to the priest and since then i have just been wondering around . guess i should finish that part of the mission and then dump him off and move on.

Can we update the original post with some of these awesome mods? It would be near impossible for anyone new to the thread to wade through near 100 pages of posts. :lol

Xdrive05 said:
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Any suggestion on where is best to buy a house? Thanks.

I just got the key for the White Stallion Inn outside Leywiin (sp?). I do have a funloving Orc Knight-Errant for a roommate, but is it safe to keep my stuff there? I spent almost a half hour trying to get my books on a shelf in there and I've been stuffing all my high ticket weapons that I can't be chuffed to charge on a regular basis.

To wit: I got the most bad-ass Shock Staff off a Goblin Witch in this little side quest where you clear out two goblin caves so this dude can build a farm there. It's worth like 7 g's. I just have to find someone with that kind of scratch.

Also, Mages Guild? GOD DAMN. YOU NASTY FREAK. The Leywiin Reccomendation quest might as well have been a frickin' Fighters Guild quest, as I had to beat the shit out of like fifteen high toned bastards to get to the necklace that'll "Make the voices go away." Jeesus. Can I go back to the Ring Of Burden quests, please? This was really way too much.

Oh and then? I get jacked by this Super-Powered Bandit the second I leave the fort. I used my Once A Day Frost Touch Extravaganza (and I got his super sweet Shock Powered Battle Hammer) but I got killed by him like eighteen times first. Combined with the guild quest, easily my toughest time in the game thus far.

Actually, not true. I had to give up on closing an O Gate because I just could not make it through the tower. I kept going around in circles. The Similacrum whatever was on the map, but from the Flesh Column I could only get to the Dead Halls and/or the Rending Halls and I could never get anywhere else. SO FRUSTRATING.

Any tips?

Top Bottom