• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

slayn said:
I pretty much agree with all of that.

Some of the things that really bother me is that I don't feel like I'm really getting any more powerful and in addition to that, I don't feel like I need to.

I believe I have been using the exact same equipment on my character for something like the past 20 hours of playing. And thats only because I enchanted a bow when I got into the arcane university. Other than that, I've pretty much been using the same shit since the beginning. I did the dark brotherhood at the veyr beginning, and My current armor is still the dark brotherhood robes and hood.

I could probably find a much better helm than the db hood but I never remember to look for one because it is completely irrelevant to how well I do in battle.

Further, it is way too easy to completely break the combat in the game. Oh look, I've made 100% chameleon equipment, now no enemy in the game will ever attack me ever again...

and even without that the enemies simply do not move with enough intelligence. Ye old take a step back when they take a swing and miss works on pretty much every melee monster in the game.

A further problem is that the enemies scale to you so you never really get any indication of how powerful you are. You might go through a cave where you find a better sword and level up at the same time. Now when you fight your next battle you will feel pretty much the same. This makes that shiny new sword rather dissappointing.

I never even go into the random caves and dungeons anymore because I know there will never be any worthwhile treasure in them.

Generally I like to play rpgs to try to number crunch the system and tweak my character to be as perfect as possible. But in this I never notice any difference when I get higher stats or whatnot. And there seems to be no area in the game I could travel to to get my ass kicked such that it would compel me to create a more powerful character capable of dealing with that challenging area. Instead I've been playing the game for the bits of interesting story I can find and the occasional cool if still easy quest. My opinion of the game would probably be much, much lower if it weren't for the dark brotherhood.

I like the game, but probably no where near as much as a lot of other people in this thread.

Easy - don't use the 100% chameleon equipment! It's too bad that Bethesda didn't do more to discourage people from breaking the game, but ultimately, it is YOUR CHOICE whether you want to break the game.

Enemies DO scale, but as you level up, and especially once you get to the 20s, I am really feeling more and more powerful. I'm constantly getting better enchanted equipment and the game is actually swinging towards the easy side if anything. I might have to kick up the difficulty a few notches.

How in the hell can you say there is nothing worthwhile in random caves and dungeons?!? One of the other complaints leveled at this game by many is that random caves and dungeons are the ONLY place to find worthwhile loot in the game. Every single dungeon run I make now results in at least 10k worth of loot and 1-2 enchanted items worth keeping. Every piece of equipment I use if from a random dungeon or a Daedric Quest.

I see where you are coming from, and it would have been cool to have super-high level enemies that you can't take on until later in the game, but I think you are just plain wrong on some points.

--------------------

Steve/Vark - what are your thoughts on these debates that are raging? Did Bethesda have these same debates internally? Do you think that in trying so hard to fix Morrowind's faults that Bethesda created new ones? Does that mean that ES5 will be the perfect middle ground between the two systems (I'd prefer that middle ground to be much closer to Oblivion, myself)?

The bottom line is, what have you learned from this thread? I think this would make a fascinating "afterthoughts" article because the scale and complexity of this game. Someone get on this!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
There is a woman in the same building that you built your staff that can recharge it, or you can get it recharged in any guild hall. Just talk around, and there will be an option to charge it listed amongst the buttons at the bottom of the conversation where you would normally find barter or persuade options.

You can also use filled soul gems to recharge your enchanted items, or Varla stones (which can be found in Ayleid ruins and are very rare, and recharge ALL of your enchanted items to full all at once, and they are destroyed when you use them).

You can find or buy filled soul gems and empty soul gems. Filled soul gems can be used to either create a new enchanted item (if you're in the Mages Guild and have made it to the Arcane University) or to recharge an enchanted item. The amount that the item is recharged depends on the level of the soul that's trapped in the gem, so you might end up needing multiple filled soul gems to fully recharge a weapon.

You can fill empty soul gems using the Soul Trap spell. What you do is you cast the spell on a creature, and then kill the creature before the spell wears off. Different creatures have different leveled souls, depending on how powerful the creature is. When you kill the creature, the creature's soul goes into the smallest empty soul gem into which the soul will fit. Only one soul per soul gem, so you have to have an empty soul gem that's big enough for the soul to be trapped.

Once you use a soul gem to recharge or create an enchanted item, the soul gem is destroyed.

You can learn Soul Trap as a spell, and there are also scrolls with Soul Trap on them and there is at least one enchanted weapon with Soul Trap built-in to it. If you're in the Mages Guild and learn Soul Trap, once you're in the Arcane University you could create an enchanted weapon with Soul Trap on it, too.

There is one soul gem that is reusable, and can fit the highest level souls in the game. It's called Azura's Star. You can get it by finding the Shrine of Azura (Northeast of Bruma) and doing a quest for Azura.

SteveMeister said:
You can also use filled soul gems to recharge your enchanted items, or Varla stones (which can be found in Ayleid ruins and are very rare, and recharge ALL of your enchanted items to full all at once, and they are destroyed when you use them).

You can find or buy filled soul gems and empty soul gems. Filled soul gems can be used to either create a new enchanted item (if you're in the Mages Guild and have made it to the Arcane University) or to recharge an enchanted item. The amount that the item is recharged depends on the level of the soul that's trapped in the gem, so you might end up needing multiple filled soul gems to fully recharge a weapon.

You can fill empty soul gems using the Soul Trap spell. What you do is you cast the spell on a creature, and then kill the creature before the spell wears off. Different creatures have different leveled souls, depending on how powerful the creature is. When you kill the creature, the creature's soul goes into the smallest empty soul gem into which the soul will fit. Only one soul per soul gem, so you have to have an empty soul gem that's big enough for the soul to be trapped.

Once you use a soul gem to recharge or create an enchanted item, the soul gem is destroyed.

You can learn Soul Trap as a spell, and there are also scrolls with Soul Trap on them and there is at least one enchanted weapon with Soul Trap built-in to it. If you're in the Mages Guild and learn Soul Trap, once you're in the Arcane University you could create an enchanted weapon with Soul Trap on it, too.

There is one soul gem that is reusable, and can fit the highest level souls in the game. It's called Azura's Star. You can get it by finding the Shrine of Azura (Northeast of Bruma) and doing a quest for Azura.

You just answered a lingering question that I had! I had no clue what the Varla stones did and I was contemplating selling them because they are worth so much!

1. Was the weapon that are you speaking of
Umbra's sword?
Or is there another weapon that has Soul Trap built in?

2. Also, I know the question has been asked before, but I'm not sure if it has been answered. Is there a way to EMPTY a soul gem? For instance, if you accidentally trapped a Petty or Lesser sould in a Grand Soul Gem, is there any way to get that soul out so you can use the full potential of the soul gem?

Xdrive05

Kung Fu Jedi said:
There is a woman in the same building that you built your staff that can recharge it, or you can get it recharged in any guild hall. Just talk around, and there will be an option to charge it listed amongst the buttons at the bottom of the conversation where you would normally find barter or persuade options.

Okay, so I can't just charge them for free now right? Unless I use my soul gems and trapped souls?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
mmlemay said:
Easy - don't use the 100% chameleon equipment! It's too bad that Bethesda didn't do more to discourage people from breaking the game, but ultimately, it is YOUR CHOICE whether you want to break the game.

Enemies DO scale, but as you level up, and especially once you get to the 20s, I am really feeling more and more powerful. I'm constantly getting better enchanted equipment and the game is actually swinging towards the easy side if anything. I might have to kick up the difficulty a few notches.

How in the hell can you say there is nothing worthwhile in random caves and dungeons?!? One of the other complaints leveled at this game by many is that random caves and dungeons are the ONLY place to find worthwhile loot in the game. Every single dungeon run I make now results in at least 10k worth of loot and 1-2 enchanted items worth keeping. Every piece of equipment I use if from a random dungeon or a Daedric Quest.

I see where you are coming from, and it would have been cool to have super-high level enemies that you can't take on until later in the game, but I think you are just plain wrong on some points.

--------------------

Steve/Vark - what are your thoughts on these debates that are raging? Did Bethesda have these same debates internally? Do you think that in trying so hard to fix Morrowind's faults that Bethesda created new ones? Does that mean that ES5 will be the perfect middle ground between the two systems (I'd prefer that middle ground to be much closer to Oblivion, myself)?

The bottom line is, what have you learned from this thread? I think this would make a fascinating "afterthoughts" article because the scale and complexity of this game. Someone get on this!

I don't use the chameleon stuff. Even made a post previously about how I had gotten it, found it to be so stupidly overpower, and threw it out. That doesn't change the fact that I wear a 35% chamelon ring, and have a spell called cloak which adds 75%. So even without going out of my way to break the system, my character now permanently has a spell in his spellbook that might as well be called, 'I want to be invinceable now.' I don't use it, but the fact that its there bothers me. It means my character, at his current level and equipment, could take on *any* challenge in the game.

And I find stuff in caves and dungeons worth selling, but not worth using. My bow is:
glass bow
+15 fire damage
+15 shock damage
+insta soul drain

am I *ever* going to find a better bow in random dungeon crawling? I haven't, and I don't expect I will...

my armor is the dark brotherhood robes that give +11 to my favorite skills. Since its a robe it takes up foot, leg, armor, and glove slots. So I don't use any of those slots. And I have never found any piece of equipment to compel me to stop using the dark brotherhood robes.

Sure, I get tons of money by dungeon crawling, but as I have no interesting in the animal crossingish house decoration, I have nothing to spend money on. So wheres the benefit in dungeon crawling?

slayn said:
I don't use the chameleon stuff. Even made a post previously about how I had gotten it, found it to be so stupidly overpower, and threw it out. That doesn't change the fact that I wear a 35% chamelon ring, and have a spell called cloak which adds 75%. So even without going out of my way to break the system, my character now permanently has a spell in his spellbook that might as well be called, 'I want to be invinceable now.' I don't use it, but the fact that its there bothers me. It means my character, at his current level and equipment, could take on *any* challenge in the game.

And I find stuff in caves and dungeons worth selling, but not worth using. My bow is:
glass bow
+15 fire damage
+15 shock damage
+insta soul drain

am I *ever* going to find a better bow in random dungeon crawling? I haven't, and I don't expect I will...

my armor is the dark brotherhood robes that give +11 to my favorite skills. Since its a robe it takes up foot, leg, armor, and glove slots. So I don't use any of those slots. And I have never found any piece of equipment to compel me to stop using the dark brotherhood robes.

Sure, I get tons of money by dungeon crawling, but as I have no interesting in the animal crossingish house decoration, I have nothing to spend money on. So wheres the benefit in dungeon crawling?

There might not be as much benefit to you for your character and how you play, but for my melee character I am constantly on the lookout for bigger and better equipment. I also like to mix up my main weapon a lot (
Umbra is only used for soul trapping
) so I'm constantly finding cool new weapons. It's also cool to have different armor with different resistances for the different occasions, plus I'm now trying to build up a good library of Light Armor for when I do the Theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests. I guess a lot of it depends on how you play, but I am always finding cool new shit!

LakeEarth said:
How do you sell things that are worth a lot. Shopkeeps can't pay me more than $1000 for any item it seems.

The blacksmith in Chorral has $1200. Once you reach master and expert ranks in Mercantile, you can invest in shopkeepers so that they have up to $1000 more. However, I don't think there is a way to get above $2200 per transaction, so you'll have to eat a little money, but really, aside from training and buying houses, there's really not a whole lot to spend your money on (unless you want to pay to refill your enchanted items, which is VERY expensive).

slayn

LakeEarth said:
How do you sell things that are worth a lot. Shopkeeps can't pay me more than $1000 for any item it seems.

I think the absolute most I've seen is 1500 maybe (from the highest thief guild fence).

LakeEarth

Alright so when the item I get is worth 11000, I ain't getting anything near that, ahh well.

And I spend it on spells, the good ones are over a thousand each. I haven't played around with the Arcane University yet.

slayn

mmlemay said:
There might not be as much benefit to you for your character and how you play, but for my melee character I am constantly on the lookout for bigger and better equipment. I also like to mix up my main weapon a lot (
Umbra is only used for soul trapping
) so I'm constantly finding cool new weapons. It's also cool to have different armor with different resistances for the different occasions, plus I'm now trying to build up a good library of Light Armor for when I do the Theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests. I guess a lot of it depends on how you play, but I am always finding cool new shit!

The problem with me for experimenting with weapons is that arrows are all the same.

it would help a lot if you could find bundles (30-60) of enchanted or poisoned arrows. =\

jedimike

mmlemay said:
You just answered a lingering question that I had! I had no clue what the Varla stones did and I was contemplating selling them because they are worth so much!

Son of a... I sold mine! :/ I had no idea what they were for and thought it was just a way to get extra money in the game. Recharging weapons starts to get expensive... a hell of a lot more expensive than the amount I got out of my stones.

slayn

Confidence Man said:
Can you enchant arrows or only bows?

only bows. And if you have a poison, as odd as this sounds, you poison your bow, and then only the next arrow you fire from that bow will be poisoned.

jedimike said:
Son of a... I sold mine! :/ I had no idea what they were for and thought it was just a way to get extra money in the game. Recharging weapons starts to get expensive... a hell of a lot more expensive than the amount I got out of my stones.

Soul gems! Join the Mages Guild and you will find plenty in the various Mages Guilds in all of the cities. You should also see them more and more often as you go through dungeons. If you have too many empty soul gems and you don't currently have a soul trap spell,
Umbra's sword is enchanted with the Soul Trap ability

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
jedimike said:

recharging enchanted items is ridiculously easy ....

Get Azuara's star from the Daedric shrine quest (someone in one of the towns even marks her shrine on your map, I think either in Bruma or Cheydinhal, can't remember which). After that you can summon a creature, soul trap it, and then kill it to get a free soul. Use the soul to recharge an item. Rinse / repeat.

Nerevar said:

Get Azuara's star from the Daedric shrine quest (someone in one of the towns even marks her shrine on your map, I think either in Bruma or Cheydinhal, can't remember which). After that you can summon a creature, soul trap it, and then kill it to get a free soul. Use the soul to recharge an item. Rinse / repeat.

He still has to have a method to trap the soul, though!

I must be having my first brain fart in Oblivion. I'm on the last thieves guild quest and I can't find the
glass entrance
. I haven't had trouble finding anything else in the game, so I'm sure it's obvious and I'm standing on it or someshit. Either way, I'd rather not waste hours if someone knows.... :D

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm an ass. I found it.

Nerevar said:

The only problem with that is if they've been playing the main quest and they've already given that Daedric artifact to Martin. The game will point you to that particular shrine when given the mission and if you have no idea what that item does or is I'd imagine a lot of people have already gave it away.

Sysgen

GreekWolf said:
Oh, you will. Over 200 of them. :lol

I've played nearly 100 hours now, and still haven't found half of them. The more I play, the more I realize just how much larger this game is compared to Morrowind.... and Morrowind was ridiculously huge.

<sigh> I'm at like 85 hours and just found 2 whole new cities in the south east. I knew they were there but I'm just getting around to them.

Also, is there anyone out there that sits down with this game for 5 hours at a shot and gets like 1 quest done. :lol I mean WTF. I'm gonna be here until forever.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sysgen said:
<sigh> I'm at like 85 hours and just found 2 whole new cities in the south east. I knew they were there but I'm just getting around to them.

Also, is there anyone out there that sits down with this game for 5 hours at a shot and gets like 1 quest done. :lol I mean WTF. I'm gonna be here until forever.
Even one quest done is stretching it sometimes.:D

3rdman

Random Question/Suggestion...

Is there a way to view the map and see the dungeons or gates you haven't cleared yet? As I walk around the map, I run into all types of things that I'd love to go back to later, but I'm having trouble remembering them all.

slayn

3rdman said:
Random Question/Suggestion...

Is there a way to view the map and see the dungeons or gates you haven't cleared yet? As I walk around the map, I run into all types of things that I'd love to go back to later, but I'm having trouble remembering them all.

not that I know of. What I do is I go into a dungeon, and if the map is completely drawn, then I know I've been there before.

3rdman

slayn said:
not that I know of. What I do is I go into a dungeon, and if the map is completely drawn, then I know I've been there before.

Yeah, but it also kinda sucks to sit through the loading screen only to find that you've seen it all before. They must have someway of doing it, because the Collector's Quest has lit up 5 ruins on the map that are different from the others.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Sysgen said:

I know what you mean, I had a visit to The Best Defence go wrong when I decided to experiment and pick up an item with "grab" to see if I could get away with carrying it out, he called the guards and I resisted arrest as I figured getting my stuff back from the evidence chest was going to be too much trouble, ran around the city, chased by every guard I passed, a Daedric agent joined in the chase and yet the guards still went after me, ran to the stables and stole a horse and lost them near Aleswell, figuring I could then visit my Doyen and pay half-bounty to clear my name.

A simple visit to a shop to sell an item ended up being a 45 minute chase of comedic entertainment, and in the end I gained no time by resisting arrest, but it was much more fun that way :D

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Vennt said:
I resisted arrest as I figured getting my stuff back from the evidence chest was going to be too much trouble

You do know that if you go to jail, you can activate the bed in there and just "sleep off" your sentence, right? You'll get all your stuff back. You might lose a skill point or two, depending on how long your sentence was -- but you don't have to try to escape from jail if you don't want to.

I generally tend to get two or three quests done in a three to four hour period. Sometimes I fast travel between points, and other times I explore the roadway to add dungeons to the map for later visit.

I find it funny how my mood varies from play session to play session. Sometimes I want to move along the a quest line, such as the Mage's Guild, and other times I just want to explore and clear a dungeon, and sometimes I want to advance the main story, although lately I've had a lot more fun doing sidequests, exploring, and staying away from the main quest. Right now, I need to find some ways to make some cash. I may have to join the Arena tonight. :)

Solo

A quest an hour? Damn, compared to you, I move at the speed of light. Due to fast travel, I can knock off 5 or so quests an hour, since most of them arent too overly involved.

LakeEarth

Solo said:
A quest an hour? Damn, compared to you, I move at the speed of light. Due to fast travel, I can knock off 5 or so quests an hour, since most of them arent too overly involved.
I play both ways. Some hours I just fast travel from place to place. Sometimes if the walk isn't far I walk the distance, taking the time to explore and find new caves and forts. I still can't believe I went through a huge dungeon area with an actual boss-like character :)o) to find a Giant Weyland stone. It has to be a quest item. Does anyone know which one?

Solo said:

Depends on the quests and how familiar I am with the area. Early on, I had to explore cities to find where things are so I could get to a guild to get things I needed, or a merchant to sell things off. I also tend to try to persuade everyone to a higher level to get better prices when buying and selling as well. Last night I played for about 2 1/2 hours and I got the last two recommendations I needed for the Arcane University, and the first two quests in the Mage's Guild done, and about half-way through the third quest, so it varies, but it's not uncommon for me to do a quest an hour depending on how I get sidetracked, go exploring, or talk to the various NPC's.

Pellham

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
The only problem with that is if they've been playing the main quest and they've already given that Daedric artifact to Martin. The game will point you to that particular shrine when given the mission and if you have no idea what that item does or is I'd imagine a lot of people have already gave it away.

yeah I was retarded and gave mine away (I had azura's star and goldbrand, didn't want to give up goldbrand). i'm probably gonna start a new game after I beat the main quest on this character where i'll be a lot smarter (like getting the skeleton key and azura's star asap).

syllogism

Casting DAMAGE fatigue on a horse with a rider makes the rider invisible (well, actually his model will lie on the ground and can be attacked as well).

edit: Aamage fatigue is pretty amusing in general. My damage 30 fatigue with a duration of 50 combined with weakness to magic puts people asleep for over an hour gametime. They desperately try to attack you only to fall asleep mid-attack (sometimes doing a strange somersault)

edit2: damage, NOT drain

GreekWolf

slayn said:
Maybe not, but you'll find the best magic rings/amulets in the game through dungeon crawling.

Last week, I found a ring at the bottom of a very difficult Ayelid dungeon which adds +10 to all magic stats... plus alchemy and sneak. I've also recovered an amulet that offers a whopping 50% protection against both magic attacks and melee weapons, and a staff which paralyzes enemies for 10 seconds, while lifetapping their health.

Then, of course, there are the epic quests... which can yield even more legendary weapons and armor. Your enchanted bow is powerful, but not as impressive as my Goldbrand, which delivers nearly 50 points of damage every swing. :)

I will agree with you, though, that the 100% chameleon stuff completely unbalances the game, and should be tossed from the series.

LakeEarth

Way to win in the arena - Summon Monster, Turn invisible. He just stands there and gets hit by the monster without moving. During that time, swing behind him, wait for the monster to disappear and give him everything you got.

slayn

GreekWolf said:
Maybe not, but you'll find the best magic rings/amulets in the game through dungeon crawling.

Last week, I found a ring at the bottom of a very difficult Ayelid dungeon which adds +10 to all magic stats... plus alchemy and sneak. I've also recovered an amulet that offers a whopping 50% protection against both magic attacks and melee weapons, and a staff which paralyzes enemies for 10 seconds, while lifetapping their health.

Then, of course, there are the epic quests... which can yield even more legendary weapons and armor. Your enchanted bow is powerful, but not as impressive as my Goldbrand, which delivers nearly 50 points of damage every swing. :)

I will agree with you, though, that the 100% chameleon stuff completely unbalances the game, and should be tossed from the series.

I dunno.... the bow is pretty beast.

Consider I get roughly (going from memory):

14 damage (bow) + 10 damage (arrow) + 15 damage (fire) + 15 damage (shock) and I almost always get x3 multipliers from sniping from the shadows.

and this is all true even though my bow skill isn't even at expert yet.

I wasn't saying I need another bow, because that is an assload of damage as is, just pointing out I don't expect to find a better one in a random dungeon until I'm maybe level 40 or something.

I need to find some of the items you guys are discovering! Wow! Some very cool stuff. Of course, my Battle Mage is only like level 8, so go figure. :)

Solo

Meh, Ill take my enchanted sword I created over Goldbrand anyday. My sword absorbs enemy life, which is great. Their pain is my pleasure. I still use Goldbrand a fair bit too though.

100% Chameleon + Expert or higher Sneak skill sort of break the game. I've burned through all the Dark Brotherhood quests so far because I can kill everyone in one hit. I could always turn up the difficulty, but I'm still kind of enjoying being an uber assassin, and I worked hard to get there too. :D

methodman

Banned
Jugendstil said:
100% Chameleon + Expert or higher Sneak skill sort of break the game. I've burned through all the Dark Brotherhood quests so far because I can kill everyone in one hit. I could always turn up the difficulty, but I'm still kind of enjoying being an uber assassin, and I worked hard to get there too. :D

howd you get your sneak so high? and where do you find chameleon?

GreekWolf

cvkpaladin said:
What are the stats on Goldbrand btw?
I'm an expert armorer, so I can repair weapons and armor past 100% of their strength, all the way up to 125%.

With my character at level 37, Goldbrand does 28 points of damage plus 22 points of fire damage. It's a one-handed longsword, which is great for me since I always use a shield.

I haven't achieved master rank in blade yet, so I'm wondering what the final stats will look like.

Pellham

Banned
i love goldbrand but i wish it didnt weigh 52 or whatever. i stick to a dagger of dynamo when i'm going on a dungeon looting spree.

winalot

I'm really starting to think I'm not getting the best out of my character. I've been playing for almost 50 hours doing any quest that comes my way and I'm only at level 12.

I also wish I'd worked more on my Illusion, Conjuration and Mysticism earlier on because they're way behind and I liked the idea of all the magic stuff. My Oblivion time's going to take a big hit now too as my girlfriend's decided she wants to give it a try.

That drain fatigue on the horse is strange, the funniest thing I've come across recently is lifting up a brush pot makes it rock back and forth when you let go :lol

GreekWolf

slayn said:
52? o_O

thats like almost a quarter of my total compacity.
Holy smokes, man... what's your strength?

I can lug 570 pounds around... and pretty much do, with all the repair hammers and daedric junk in my inventory.

Top Bottom