• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
StRaNgE said:
OK , i need some quick help.

1st i am about 16 game clock hours in 8 out of 14 completed missions.
only level 6 as of now.

i just killed someone as a mission but the gaurds somehow found out it was me, how i will never know. but i need to keep what i have.

seems every damn city i go to i am now stopped and have to run or loose my items and do jail time. my bail amount is way more then the cash i have.

how if at all can i clear my name and keep the items i picked up off the dead bodies?

i can not go ANYWHERE!

You can drop and retrive your items, just make sure the guards don't find you where you dropped your items. (IE, drop them in a dungeon) Just make sure your back there to pick them up in 3 ingame days or less. (Should lower your bounty if the item was valuable)

It's kind of late now, but if you were in the theives guild, you can pay off your bounties at onehalf the price.

Also, Die Squirrel Die, don't be afraid to turn the difficulty down.

Suikoguy said:

I was hoping to avoid that, 'cause I've got into a very bad habit of nerfing most games I play. I trying to stick with default difficulty in every game I play but I guess if I need it to be fun, so be it.

But is there ever a point where you start to outlevel the enemies in the game? It seems like they get harder as I level but, if I can eventually pull away I'm willing to put in the effort for that. It's more the feeling that no matter how much my skills and attributes go up the enemies are just going to keep staying that one step ahead of me that is a bit demoralising.

Seth C

Die Squirrel Die said:
I was hoping to avoid that, 'cause I've got into a very bad habit of nerfing most games I play. I trying to stick with default difficulty in every game I play but I guess if I need it to be fun, so be it.

But is there ever a point where you start to outlevel the enemies in the game? It seems like they get harder as I level but, if I can eventually pull away I'm willing to put in the effort for that. It's more the feeling that no matter how much my skills and attributes go up the enemies are just going to keep staying that one step ahead of me that is a bit demoralising.

Just struggle through and you will eventually pull away. By the time you start to get around level 20 the game will get easier again.

Die Squirrel Die said:

You will pull away eventually. One thing to try is to not level up as much; your skills still improve and you can rely more on enchanted items to boost your stats to put yourself ahead of the levelling curve.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
kaizoku said:
deer-sympathizing
Yeah, it is too bad cause I tossed $60 at this thing! :( But I'm always willing to give something a shot but will stick by my opinion no matter how asinine it may seem. I'm not a fan of the GTA series either. I generally like structure in all aspects of my life, so even lacking it in games bugs me.
I have been giving Oblivion more of a go, mostly doing the Mage Guild quests, which I've found range from cool (the well quest) to undeniably stupid (the prank quest). I'm kind of "stuck" in a quest that I can't get out of. I don't want to steal the book for the dumb bitch, but I can't tell her I won't do it, and I can't tell the guy that she still is scheming for the book. Maybe there's an abandon quest option I didn't notice. Anyway, the whole game is a mixed bag. Mechanically, it's a solid engine but I think it could use a cleaner interface.
And I seriously only saw deer for like a half hour. :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
For fucks sake, just get rid of the game and be done with it.
I didn't ask for your opinion on what to do with my life. If you just want to leave this to a Oblivion-whack-a-thon ignore my posts.

Speevy

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
I didn't ask for your opinion on what to do with my life. If you just want to leave this to a Oblivion-whack-a-thon ignore my posts.

You don't get it. THERE ARE PLENTY OF COMPLAINTS IN THIS THREAD ABOUT THE GAME.

-Scaling enemies
-Scaling items
-Framerate
-Glitches
-Crashes
-Textures
-Dumbed down faction system from Morrowind

Your comments have nothing to do with what this game may or may not do wrong, and more to do with what the whole series does. PLEASE STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD. YOU ARE RUINING IT.

RevenantKioku

Speevy said:
You don't get it. THERE ARE PLENTY OF COMPLAINTS IN THIS THREAD ABOUT THE GAME.

-Scaling enemies
-Scaling items
-Framerate
-Glitches
-Crashes
-Textures
-Dumbed down faction system from Morrowind

Your comments have nothing to do with what this game may or may not do wrong, and more to do with what the whole series does. PLEASE STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD. YOU ARE RUINING IT.
*hugs*

Xdrive05

Okay, here's a question about the mages guild quest
Vahtacen, where I have to "unlock" this huge stone pillar by casting specific magic at its four corners. I've figured out two sides of it, fire and ice. But the other two sides are supposed to be "fortify magicka" and "damage magicka".

Here's the problem. I made a "fortify magicka" spell that doesn't seem to be working at all. Every time I cast it, it's a failed attempt and I get zapped by lightning. I've tried it on BOTH sides, same outcome. Does anyone have any advice on where I can get an official version of this spell?

Same thing with "damage magicka", as I can't even find this spell anywhere nearby. Does anyone know who sells a "damage magicka" spell and a "fortify magicka" spell?

Thanks.

:)

StRaNgE

Banned
Suikoguy said:
You can drop and retrive your items, just make sure the guards don't find you where you dropped your items. (IE, drop them in a dungeon) Just make sure your back there to pick them up in 3 ingame days or less. (Should lower your bounty if the item was valuable)

It's kind of late now, but if you were in the theives guild, you can pay off your bounties at onehalf the price.

nope, not in that guild yet.
So go clear out a dungeon of everyone, leave all my crap there, serve jail time, and come back??? that's it? wish i had a house. :(

what about praying at some church to forgive me or something? would that work?

firex

Xdrive05 said:
Vahtacen, where I have to "unlock" this huge stone pillar by casting specific magic at its four corners. I've figured out two sides of it, fire and ice. But the other two sides are supposed to be "fortify magicka" and "damage magicka".

Here's the problem. I made a "fortify magicka" spell that doesn't seem to be working at all. Every time I cast it, it's a failed attempt and I get zapped by lightning. I've tried it on BOTH sides, same outcome. Does anyone have any advice on where I can get an official version of this spell?

Same thing with "damage magicka", as I can't even find this spell anywhere nearby. Does anyone know who sells a "damage magicka" spell and a "fortify magicka" spell?

Thanks.

This confused me too, but I figured it out eventually.
You have to do the pillars in order - fire, frost, damage, and fortify - and then you'll unlock the further areas of Vatahcen.

Rhindle

Xdrive05 said:

Thanks.

Check the chest in the hallway just outside the room (right next to the translator dude).

RevenantKioku said:

Other people in this thread have made complaints about the game (myself included) but you're sounding like a broken record here. If you don't like it, stop fucking playing it. It's that easy. No one is holding you at gunpoint forcing you to play Oblivion. Move on to something else.

RevenantKioku

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Other people in this thread have made complaints about this game (myself included) but you're sounding like a broken record here. If you don't like it, stop fucking playing it. It's that easy. Move on to something else.
Except I do like it. Well parts of it that is. Which makes it even more the frustrating. It's not as if it's a bad game, but it's just a harmony of really good and really bad. If you didn't notice, I was actually playing the game wrong earlier (just wandering the wilderness) and changing that approach actually improved my enjoyment. I'm very new to the Elder Scrolls series and play mostly Japanese RPGs anyway so some of my complaints may seem a bit off, but I'm just ignorant and learning is all. Sure I was a tad extreme at first because of the damn freezing and what seemed like years of fighting deer. (Laugh with me here!) But some of you have been flying off the handle as if I've been attacking you all personally when I'm really just posting my (perhaps cliche) criticisms and looking to see what I may have missed. (And lookie! I was missing stuff at first!)

Xdrive05

Thanks for the help, folks. Wow... I can't even believe I missed that huge chest next to the translator guy. :lol

Now to deal with these stinkin' wraiths!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
cicero said:
Nice to see at least one other PC user here. :p

What other mods are you using? Have you tried Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul?

Oh man, I'm not gonna list the insane number of mods I've got going right now. Perhaps tomorrow! :D

xabre said:
Gee thanks for cut n' pasting those patch notes.

Lame.

I don't see any patch notes to cut and paste.. the unlimited gold and item duping were "issues" that were raised, so it was assumed that they were going to be fixed in the patch.

If someone has a link to patch notes for this upcoming patch, I'd like to see them.. because I certainly don't see it on the official site

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
StRaNgE said:
nope, not in that guild yet.
So go clear out a dungeon of everyone, leave all my crap there, serve jail time, and come back??? that's it? wish i had a house. :(

what about praying at some church to forgive me or something? would that work?

No other way to get rid of your bounty. Unfortunatly, if your jailtime exceeds 3 days, your items will likely disapear unless its your property you stored them at (a house you own).

Only thing I can reccomend is getting enough gold together to pay the bounty, but stashing your items somewhere before you do, then retreving them afterwards.

StRaNgE

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Except I do like it. Well parts of it that is. Which makes it even more the frustrating. It's not as if it's a bad game, but it's just a harmony of really good and really bad. If you didn't notice, I was actually playing the game wrong earlier (just wandering the wilderness) and changing that approach actually improved my enjoyment. I'm very new to the Elder Scrolls series and play mostly Japanese RPGs anyway so some of my complaints may seem a bit off, but I'm just ignorant and learning is all. Sure I was a tad extreme at first because of the damn freezing and what seemed like years of fighting deer. (Laugh with me here!) But some of you have been flying off the handle as if I've been attacking you all personally when I'm really just posting my (perhaps cliche) criticisms and looking to see what I may have missed. (And lookie! I was missing stuff at first!)

woah, so i'm not suppossed to be wondering around the woods?

what did you do different?

LakeEarth

I had a freaky bug happen to me. I don't know how I pulled it off, but suddenly 3 people in a town just froze. They were stuck in whatever walking position they were in, and I could walk right through them and see inside their faces. They're just mouth and eyes on the inside :lol Even going in and out of buildings, they wouldn't move.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ok...just completed my first Dark Brotherhood quest

before I knew it I was finishing my fifth...holy shit...those are some of the best quests ever...I got some serious
T H I E F
vibes from them...getting kinda late so I'll play some more later

methodman

Banned
LakeEarth said:
I had a freaky bug happen to me. I don't know how I pulled it off, but suddenly 3 people in a town just froze. They were stuck in whatever walking position they were in, and I could walk right through them and see inside their faces. They're just mouth and eyes on the inside :lol Even going in and out of buildings, they wouldn't move.

Did you pick their pockets?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Wakune said:
Ok...just completed my first Dark Brotherhood quest

before I knew it I was finishing my fifth...holy shit...those are some of the best quests ever...I got some serious
T H I E F
vibes from them...getting kinda late so I'll play some more later

Enjoy pure awesome in quest form. P.S. Wade through the slump, it's well worth it.

GreekWolf

Welp, I finally finished the main quest. The last section took me three tries, since I'm level 37 and
I was trying to fend off waves and waves of Daedra Lords with enchanted warhammers and claymores
. Nearly impossible. Honestly, if you're a thief or a stealth character, make sure you complete the storyline before you reach your thirties... or else you'll be sorry.

Overall, it was a satisfying end to the Oblivion saga. My only gripe is that
"Paradise" looked too much like Tamriel, which was a little disappointing. The designers could have really taken the opportunity to do something crazy with that kind of environment.

I'm 110 hours into the game... and still have a little over half of the dungeons to find and explore. In fact, as soon as the main quest came to an end, someone immediately walked up and initated another quest. Does this game ever end? :lol

EOGamer

GreekWolf said:
Nearly impossible. Honestly, if you're a thief or a stealth character, make sure you complete the storyline before you reach your thirties... or else you'll be sorry.
I did the same section just last night at level 15 and had major problems as well. Thankfully I had already gone through the trouble of snagging Umbra sword, so I was well equipped.

Wollan

Is garlic like the most rare thing in this game?

When I want it, I can't find it anywhere. I've gone to every mages guild, a few more popular stores and broken into pretty much every building in three towns and I still only got 3 garlics.
I need 6.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Garlic was one of the frst things I ran into. Near the imperal City is a ruin called vilverin and there are usually a few bandits lurking outside with their campsite - there is usually some loot there including garlic. It replenishes too.

RevenantKioku - I think some people were just a bit frustrated with your strangely retarded approach to playing the game :lol Imagine someone picks up a spoon and spends like an hour complaining about how its not a useful eating tool:

"holy shit how am I expected to eat with this crap?!"
"just scoop it up, practice, you'll get better, spoons are ok"
"omfg teh food keeps dropping off!!! why?!! why do I have to do a balancing act everytime I want food in my mouth, this isn't what eating should be like!!"
"..what food are you trying to eat, try eating soup or something, have you tried a fork?"
"@$"£%$"% I just tried to slice the potato and... it fell on the floor!! Fuck you spoon, you suck!!"

you get the idea :p

RevenantKioku: One of the things you are "not getting" about this game, and the whole series for that matter, is that there is no right or wrong way to play it. You play it the way you want. Wandering around the forest may be the "right" way to play for some people, who just like to explore. For others, following quests, building their character, or simply just being the most evil S.O.B. in the world is what they enjoy. How you can call this game restrictive is beyond me, especially when you talk about your love for JRPG's. Like I said earlier, perhaps you need a game that holds your hand more.

As for the new downloadable content, these items sound much better than the Horse Armor, which did nothing for me. Adding a questline for the Orrery is cool, and since I just encountered that last night in the story, I wondered about repairing it. Wizard's Tower sounds good as well. Useful stuff in there for Mage classes for sure. Will we see a Fighter's Stronghold to go along with it?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
RevenantKioku: One of the things you are "not getting" about this game, and the whole series for that matter, is that there is no right or wrong way to play it. You play it the way you want. Wandering around the forest may be the "right" way to play for some people, who just like to explore. For others, following quests, building their character, or simply just being the most evil S.O.B. in the world is what they enjoy. How you can call this game restrictive is beyond me, especially when you talk about your love for JRPG's. Like I said earlier, perhaps you need a game that holds your hand more.

I haven't followed this thread in a while.

Begone Troll!

elderscrollsobliviontroll19030.jpg

Those things are mega bitched btw. Dammit I hate them!

I just did the quest where you kill the painted ones. I got my ass beat quite a bit, but I managed to survive

Boy I love this game. Dunno about buying the upcoming features coming out. I really would like to see something on the level of "Expansion Pack" that includes quite a bit of content at a reasonable price. That would be perfect.

Doc: Yeah, the Painted Trolls quest was a cool one. Those guys were tough, but I ended up only having to fight two of them. I snuck through much of the area and completed it with four turpentine bottles left over.

Have you done the Dreamworld Quest yet?

gblues

Banned
I'm working on the Thieves' Guild quests right now. Really well done, IMO.
I just went into the Moth Temple and stole that stone for the Gray Fox, and got through the whole dungeon without getting spotted once. Had one really tense moment where I had to sneak past a skeleton at close range, but I made it! And the guy at the end just got pwned by whatever that red glowy thing was, so once he was dead I just grabbed what I came for and split.

Nathan

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Completed the Fighter's Guild quests the other day, so now I'm head of the guild. The quest where the
whole town of "goblins" you have to wipe out made me feel sad, awesome quest!

Too bad I couldn't become Champion in the guild due to the massive bug with the Swamp Cave quest. Totally screws 360 owners who can't console in the needed guy. Not only can you not become Champion, but it screws 360 owners out of 10 achievement points.

Please tell me this is getting fixed in the upcoming patch, Steve!

Thank goodness you can skip it and go on with the quests.

Oh, my recommendation for a future mod is: How about we get, at 100 Mercantile, to become shop owners, like own a store in the Imperial City and the other major towns, perhaps once a week we could stop by and collect a percentage of the profits. Have an npc run the store for us. Maybe even get to determine what to sell? Or better yet, sell the loot we aquire in dungeons? Just an idea.

ijm72

I need help on the main quest
I am supposed to kill the spies that want to kill Martin but I am stuck. I already killed the first spy and searched her house and brought the note back to Jauffre but I do not know what to do next. I know I am supposed to kill the 2 other spies in Bruma but I dont know where the hell to find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

syllogism

ijm72 said:
I need help on the main quest
I am supposed to kill the spies that want to kill Martin but I am stuck. I already killed the first spy and searched her house and brought the note back to Jauffre but I do not know what to do next. I know I am supposed to kill the 2 other spies in Bruma but I dont know where the hell to find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Only two spies and you should find the remaining one in the same house. Just wait until she/he shows up

Top Bottom