• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nerevar said:
because the positive affect takes precedence, so you would get a "fire shield" potion (notice how both ingredients also have that as an effect) that drains your agility, rather than a "drain agility" poison.

Yep. I hate it when I accidentally create a bogus potion that helps one thing and hurts another.

RegularMK

Last night something really upsetting happened to me.

I'm about 60 hours in. I find myself occasionally getting bored with the game, but then I find some new quest or get the exploration bug and I'm put at ease. But last night, I go searching for the
ultra super mega welkynd stone
and spend a good amount of time exploring the dungeon and killing any goblin I can find. I spend an hour in there, probably. And during my exploration, I finally reach expert status in blade. (which is a milestone considering I'm mostly a mage). I read in the message it gave me that I can now perform a power attack that can knock enemies down. I try practicing it on this dread zombie and spend so much time trying to get it right that it kills me before I even notice my health going down.

I hadn't saved during the entire dungeon exploring. Now I'm feeling really disheartened about Oblivion. :(

GreekWolf

Ark-AMN said:
I'm hoping like others that a trip to the Black Marsh is in the prospects for the future.
Bah, screw that. It's time for a boat trip out to Akavir, and an assault on the Snake Palace.

The last time the Imperial Army/Navy launched an attack on the ancient vampire serpent men, they got their ass kicked. Time for some payback.

GreekWolf said:
Bah, screw that. It's time for a boat trip out to Akavir, and an assault on the Snake Palace.

The last time the Imperial Army/Navy launched an attack on the ancient vampire serpent men, they got their ass kicked. Time for some payback.

Sounds like we have our first TWO expansions for Oblivion! :)

Oh, and why do people continue to go through the game without saving regularly. Maybe I'm just anal, but damn, I save at least every 15-20 minutes or so just so I can avoid the problem above.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
this alchemy tool is sweet, I never would have guessed you could make a damage health + fire damage + paralyze potion.

RegularMK

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Oh, and why do people continue to go through the game without saving regularly. Maybe I'm just anal, but damn, I save at least every 15-20 minutes or so just so I can avoid the problem above.

Because I'm used to most console games having checkpoints of some sort. Also, the autosave feature doesn't work as often as its supposed to. It doesn't autosave every time I load an area. If it did, I could at least start halfway through the dungeon.

slayn

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Sounds like we have our first TWO expansions for Oblivion! :)

with quicksave always within a inch of my finger on the keyboard and the fact that it takes about half a second to save I often save like every 2 minutes. Of course one time I accidentally saved just as the killing blow was being delivered so loading just resulted in me getting to see that sword in my face one more time :(

Pellham

Banned
GreekWolf said:

speaking of akavair
I thought it was great that in the Pale Pass dungeon, the ghost of that akavir general recognized me to be the Gray Fox when I had the cowl on.
:lol

GreekWolf

Pellham said:
speaking of akavair
I thought it was great that in the Pale Pass dungeon, the ghost of that akavir general recognized me to be the Gray Fox when I had the cowl on.
:lol
:lol Are you serious? That's ace.

Curses. Now I'm going to have to make a thief character just to witness that myself.
The Pale Pass quest has been my favorite of the game so far... with the "Tournament of Ten Bloods" a close second.

Geoff9920

Reading this thread just reminds me how much of the game I have left to play. I'm 30-35 hours in and I feel like I've barely made a dent. :lol This game rules my 360 with an iron fist that would make any dictator proud.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
GreekWolf said:

Dude, that would be awesome! I forget which book it was, but the one detailing how the Imperials got their asses handed to them trying to invade another country was awesome. (damn, drawing a blank. Was it the Black Marsh invasion? It was the one where they took over the first town they came to, then pushed and pushed, finally running into logistical trouble and then getting crushed).

Any expansion that built on some of the stories in the books, or revisted them somehow, is an awesome idea.

Seth C

Oblivion is locking up more and more frequently for me. Twice now, in the last hour. At this rate I won't be playing it much longer.

RegularMK

Lockups seem to be happening more frequently for me, too. Don't think its an overheating issue like some have speculated as it's happened to me after playing for a mere 5 minutes.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Big Nate said:
Dude, that would be awesome! I forget which book it was, but the one detailing how the Imperials got their asses handed to them trying to invade another country was awesome. (damn, drawing a blank. Was it the Black Marsh invasion? It was the one where they took over the first town they came to, then pushed and pushed, finally running into logistical trouble and then getting crushed).

Any expansion that built on some of the stories in the books, or revisted them somehow, is an awesome idea.

Sounds like Black Marsh, as the swamp lands are full of disease and poison and its likely that the Imperials would have trouble in such lands especially against the Argonians who live there.

slayn

the PC version locks up on my all the time but I also atl+tab a lot.

It should be mandatory for all windows applications to be alt+tab friendly -_-

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Regarding these lock-ups... Around 5 days ago or so, my lock-ups and DDE's were starting to happen quite a bit, like once every 2 hours of play. I changed two things one night, and since then I've had only 1 lock-up and 0 DDE's. Here's what I did:

1) Deleted all but 5 save game files.

2) Stopped carrying so much shit around. Seriously, I had a TON of potions and spell scrolls on me, so I went to a appropriate merchant and sold off almost everything I had on me, and have since kept my inventory managable.

Since I did those two things, very very few lock-ups. Now, the question is, did doing those two things fix the problem? Who knows, could have been anything. I never moved my 360, so ventilation was the same (besides, I've never had another crash for as long as I've owned my 360, except once in PGR3 oddly enough). I tried the clear cache thing soon after the game was released, tried it a couple times actually, but it never helped my crashes/dirty disc errors.

This is just fyi, ymmv.

GreekWolf

Big Nate said:

I'm gonna have to find that book you're referring to. Most of my collection revolves around the various types of Daedra and the different realms of Oblivion they inhabit. There's a weird little journal written by a wizard's apprentice, that'll make your hair stand on end.
His master finds a secret, ancient portal into Oblivion, which he enters, and sends back information to his apprentice to chronicle his journey. Eventually, something bizarre happens... and he never returns.

gblues

Banned
I heard in a random conversation that
the Nerevarine (your character from Morrowind) had left Morrowind for Akavir.
Expansion? Sequel? Or just random banter? ONLY TIME WILL TELL!

Big Nate said:
Regarding these lock-ups... Around 5 days ago or so, my lock-ups and DDE's were starting to happen quite a bit, like once every 2 hours of play. I changed two things one night, and since then I've had only 1 lock-up and 0 DDE's. Here's what I did:

1) Deleted all but 5 save game files.

2) Stopped carrying so much shit around. Seriously, I had a TON of potions and spell scrolls on me, so I went to a appropriate merchant and sold off almost everything I had on me, and have since kept my inventory managable.

Since I did those two things, very very few lock-ups. Now, the question is, did doing those two things fix the problem? Who knows, could have been anything. I never moved my 360, so ventilation was the same (besides, I've never had another crash for as long as I've owned my 360, except once in PGR3 oddly enough). I tried the clear cache thing soon after the game was released, tried it a couple times actually, but it never helped my crashes/dirty disc errors.

This is just fyi, ymmv.

I actually think you might be on to something with the inventory comment. My only DDE occurred right after I had recieved a quest item and finished a conversation with a character. I immediately opened the inventory (which was full of crap) and the character was still talking. The minute I opened the inventory, I heard my disk spin down and I knew the game was gonna crash. It might have nothing to do with it, but I think trying to get the game to load a bunch of things at once could contribute to freezes.

I love this game and I hate this game, and I'm starting to hate the Xbox360. I'd say, over the past 3 days of playing Oblivion I've had about 10 lockups. My version of Xbox360 also doesn't have the HDD and I'm not sure how the game runs on the premium pack, but on my retard pack it loads about every 5 seconds. I get jitters and stutters constantly, god forbid if you ride a horse. I know it isn't my Xbox360 hardware because I've played CoD2, and a handful of demos for hours on end with absolutely no problems what-so-ever. From the sound of my Xbox360 disk drive, I'd say the life expectancy for a retard pack console is going to be about 2-3 years max.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
MidgarBlowedUp said:
I love this game and I hate this game, and I'm starting to hate the Xbox360. I'd say, over the past 3 days of playing Oblivion I've had about 10 lockups. My version of Xbox360 also doesn't have the HDD and I'm not sure how the game runs on the premium pack, but on my retard pack it loads about every 5 seconds. I get jitters and stutters constantly, god forbid if you ride a horse. I know it isn't my Xbox360 hardware because I've played CoD2, and a handful of demos for hours on end with absolutely no problems what-so-ever. From the sound of my Xbox360 disk drive, I'd say the life expectancy for a retard pack console is going to be about 2-3 years max.

I've seen the HDD add-on at Best Buy in large quantities. Might be a worthwhile investment. It makes a huge difference.

Seth C

MidgarBlowedUp said:

I wouldn't really worry about the HD for Oblivion. I have one, and still experience all the problems you do. Riding a horse makes the game so choppy that it is unbearable and unplayable.

GreekWolf

Seth C said:
I wouldn't really worry about the HD for Oblivion. I have one, and still experience all the problems you do. Riding a horse makes the game so choppy that it is unbearable and unplayable.
Now see, I don't understand what the deal is here. I've logged more hours than most people, and have only seen two freezes during all the time. Both occasions were after marathon gaming sessions, when I'm sure the 360 was burning up.

I dunno... maybe I've just been lucky.

Sysgen

I've had the choppiness and then I just do the clear the cache thing and it's fine. Choppiness gone, loading speeds up.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
GreekWolf said:
Now see, I don't understand what the deal is here. I've logged more hours than most people, and have only seen two freezes during all the time. Both occasions were after marathon gaming sessions, when I'm sure the 360 was burning up.

I dunno... maybe I've just been lucky.

I think that may be it, out of all the times it's frozen (about 7 times now)
it's always after it's been on for awhile, in other words, never after I just turn it on.

Sysgen said:
I've had the choppiness and then I just do the clear the cache thing and it's fine. Choppiness gone, loading speeds up.

The patch better address this issue

Seth C

Dr_Cogent said:
Yeah, I sure hope they fix it. I don't think its the 360 at fault.

I wouldn't mind quite as much if it only frozen the game and not the whole system. Having to get up and reboot the thing is a pain.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Seth C said:
I wouldn't mind quite as much if it only frozen the game and not the whole system. Having to get up and reboot the thing is a pain.

That's where the 360 remote comes in handy. I shut it off with that. :)

Still, the game shouldn't be locking up, and I highly doubt they didn't see this behavior in testing either. Most things don't slip by, they just decide to ship it with known issues.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dr_Cogent said:
That's where the 360 remote comes in handy. I shut it off with that. :)

Still, the game shouldn't be locking up, and I highly doubt they didn't see this behavior in testing either. Most things don't slip by, they just decide to ship it with known issues.
It responds to the remote during a freeze? The one time I've had a lock-up, I had to physically get up and reboot with the power button. The controller didn't work, which is what I always use for powering on/off.

raYne

vatstep said:
It responds to the remote during a freeze? The one time I've had a lock-up, I had to physically get up and reboot with the power button. The controller didn't work, which is what I always use for powering on/off.
It won't eject the disk if you're trying to head straight back to the dashboard after a freeze.. but yeah, It'll power it on/off just fine.

I had my 3rd and 4th lockups today. :( Same thing as the rest.. ie while loading from one area to the other. 4 lockups in almost 75 hrs of play isn't too bad considering how many times the game has to load different areas while you're playing.

Still... fix it!

slayn

is there any way to get the
necromancer's amulet
back from the mage's guild once you finish it? I think I'm tempted to just never become arch mage...

150 magika from an amulet is just too good :(

hellfire

Die Squirrel Die said:
I was hoping to avoid that, 'cause I've got into a very bad habit of nerfing most games I play. I trying to stick with default difficulty in every game I play but I guess if I need it to be fun, so be it.

But is there ever a point where you start to outlevel the enemies in the game? It seems like they get harder as I level but, if I can eventually pull away I'm willing to put in the effort for that. It's more the feeling that no matter how much my skills and attributes go up the enemies are just going to keep staying that one step ahead of me that is a bit demoralising.

The leveling system is pretty misunderstood. higher level enemies usually start appearing as you level up, but they don't necessarily follow your level. i don't have the guide handy , but the boar is probably level 10 tops, and never levels up.

I'd guess that depending on your character type, you're not using the tools you have available the best way. e.g. poisons for arrows/blades (you'd be amazed how much damage low level poisons can do...5 pts for 10 seconds is 50 pts!), alchemy for unlimited healing potions, creating long-duration restore health spells/potions instead of insta-healing, creating absorb health weapons or spells instead of straight up elemental attacks.

at level 22, i find no challenge from any enemies. even the enemies that level with me (e.g. minotaur lords) are no match for my vast array of potions.

firex

Wollan said:
I think the Cure Vampirism quest is bugged.

I have delivered all the requested items(and gotten the uber vampire dust and argonian blood) except the 2x bloodgrass which is not possible.
I've asked alot of people, reread the quide alot of times and I tried 'breaking' the game.
Doesn't work. Nomatter what I try, she doesn't ask for it so I can't give it to her.
What do you mean 2x bloodgrass is "not possible"?

It's all over the plane of Oblivion. Progress in the main quest enough until you at least go into the first Oblivion Gate, and then you can pick the bloodgrass you need.

Or are you talking about something else?

firex

slayn said:
is there any way to get the
necromancer's amulet
back from the mage's guild once you finish it? I think I'm tempted to just never become arch mage...

150 magika from an amulet is just too good :(
You could probably try stealing it off the NPC you turned it in to. But I'm guessing you may have already done that.

slayn

firex said:
You could probably try stealing it off the NPC you turned it in to. But I'm guessing you may have already done that.

That was the first thing I tried. He doesn't have it. I think I tried killing him too. When the quest is done it just sorta goes poof.

rod

Banned
is there any quick fix way to make your max magika go higher? i never have enough to cast the larger spells

slayn

rod said:
is there any quick fix way to make your max magika go higher? i never have enough to cast the larger spells

raising your skill so that casting cost goes down has a much greater effect than raising your magika.

made myself a paladin type character few days ago lvl14 now, won the arena, grand champ, did it the hard way. have a paralyzing staff helped A LOT :D not just for fighting the grey prince but a few other fights.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Chuck Norris in Oblivion

Is this old? Sorry if it is... too bad there seems to be no kicking in Oblivion would have made this better, and I'd forgotten all about the Young Chuck Norris song I had to go find it and download it again.... hilarious.

One of the most humorous things to me about the Young Chuck Norris video has always been that when the singer says Roundhouse Kick... Chuck Norris... the guy throws a Crescent Kick....

Dr_Cogent

Banned
vatstep said:

Mine always does.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I had some orc talking jive to me just recently. I swear. It was hilarious. It was like archaic jive. LOL! This game actually has quite a bit of humor in it :)

LakeEarth

I just found a pretty shitty bug. In the "Spirits have Lease" mission, when you beat it, the house fixes itself up with new fancy furnature. But guess what? If you put anything into the cabinet tipped over on the right when you walk in, or the one in the room after that, then everything you put in will DISAPPEAR when the house fixes itself. All my awesome gear and some keys I can never get back, gone in a flash. Thank GOD my last save file wasn't too far back.

Top Bottom