• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mejilan said:
Raymond E Feist is a great author, IMHO. And yes, Betrayal of Krondor was amazing. Especially the CD version for its amazing music. Return to Krondor, on the other hand, sucked.

Man, those shots of Daggerfall really bring back memories. :D

Sigh, I never could get my hands on the CD version... sigh.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Panajev2001a said:
Sigh, I never could get my hands on the CD version... sigh.

Check your PMs.

Edit - Note... the PM I sent related only to the game's MUSIC, ripped by me from my own game CD. No OST was ever made or sold, to my knowledge.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I did, thank you :) (once in a while I still turn in DosBox, on the machine where it won't play or I run it with my laptop, and play some of it... even the standard music of the non-CD edition still sings to my memories :D).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Vyse The Legend said:
Careful Meji. It is a banable offense to post something like that, because of the heavy implications it carries. I would remove it.

Betrayal at Krondor, the game, is a FREEWARE.

You can download the non-CD edition (full game) for free, it is a few clicks ahead.

I already have the non-CD edition (the floppy edition is the one they used for the download), no need to pirate or get the game ISO. I regret not finding the game in CD version, but that is because I would have liked also to listen to the CD tunes, but I am not interested in an ISO of the CD game. I like the game and if I had the need of getting the CD version I would hit eBay (since you just cannot buy ti new any longer...).

Mejilan

Krondor floppy version is officially freeware. I merely sent a PM to Pana offering to send him my own mp3 rip of the game cd's audio, not the cd version of the game itself. Things are usually rather lenient here regarding video game music, particularly for those games that never had OSTs made or sold.

I hope...

Panajev2001a said:
Krondor, the game, is a FREEWARE.

You can download the non-CD edition (full game) for free, it is a few clicks ahead.

Just giving a warning, because I've had a friend banned for telling someone to check their PMs after they said they wanted a game but couldn't find it. I like Meji, so I just didn't want him to share the same misunderstanding/fate. ^_^; However, since it is now freeware, I'm sure it's fine.

Mejilan

Thanks for looking out. I've clarified my intent and actions regarding that PM, and think they are in-line with the rules.

Anyway, back to Oblivion. I'm curious what everyone named their character(s) and if they have any backstory to them.

Mine are:
Magnus Amenta- Imperial hero of Cyrodiil.
Ariana Amenta- half-sister Nord, stricken with Vampirism in her youth and Listener of the Black Hand.

When I get the PC version, I hope to make a third family member and use the tool kit to add Magnus and Ariana into the world as NPCs.

Pellham

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
I wonder if it started off as a generic Ultima clone because alot of stuff seems like it was blatantly ripped off.

Just about every PC RPG in the late 80s/early 90s was an Ultima clone or inspired by Ultima. Ultima was THE PC RPG series of the time.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
My character:
Krunk Gorthog - Orphaned at birth, a ruthless vampiere Orc who stumbled on to the Dark Brotherhood. Is now a silencer for the Black Hand. Collects skulls (over 300 so far, woot!).

rod

Banned
holy crap@the quest in dark brotherhood where u have to kill EVERYONE at the guild! but they were so nice to me :(

belgurdo

Banned
Anyone else getting a ton of bsod on the PC version? Two days ago the video drivers on my machine completely up and died, and I had to reinstall windows. After that, every time I try to play the game crashes after half an hour

Mejilan

Diethe os'Shaedyr

A young female Dunmer (Dark Elf) War Mage (custom class). Abandoned by her mother since the very moment of her birth, she truly is lost in the world and attempting to find herself. Currently a member of the Fighters and Mages Guilds and based out of Chorral.

The only 2 crashes I ever got from my PC version were due to a couple of fudges I made when applying certain mods.

firex

The only crashes I get are from alt tabbing (which I don't even try anymore) and quitting the game (yes, sometimes it crashes while it's closing).

GhaleonEB

Just wondering - is this the largest thread in GAF history? Gotta be close at this point.

I get to play this game next Saturday, after I move to the new house. Got the game, got the 360. Both packed. :(

LakeEarth

GhaleonEB said:
Just wondering - is this the largest thread in GAF history? Gotta be close at this point.

I get to play this game next Saturday, after I move to the new house. Got the game, got the 360. Both packed. :(
We are currently 250 away from surpassing the RE4 thread, which got locked yesterday. So in a week, it will be the biggest.

Mejilan

6000 or bust.

btw, I applied a slew of changes after reading the Oblivion tweak guide at www.tweakguides.com

I'm waiting for a defrag to finish before rebooting and seeing how/if the tweaks help! :D

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
In the future... You see the blue bar on the main topic page? The third one from the top that reads:
Thread --- Thread Starter --- Last Post --- Replies --- Views
If you click any of those options it sorts the topic list so you can check those things.

My character:

Knecht Ruprecht - Male Khajiit custom class Talon (nerd points to anyone who knows what book I took the class from). Remorseless criminal mastermind and murderer. Head of the Thieves Guild,
latest incarnation of the Grey Fox.
He is a devoted servant to the Night Mother and Sithis. Currently a Silencer in the Dark Brotherhood, he has ruthlessly climbed the ranks of the assassin guild, and hopes to soon unite the Thieves Guild and Brotherhood under his tyranical rule.

Cheydinhal is no more.

3 Will-O-Wisps followed me into town and all hell broke loose. Everyone started to try to kill 'em but a lot of the villagers ended up hitting the guards which then turned on them. No one could kill the Will-O-Wisps and everyone that was outside is dead. I think the only people still left in the town are the guys in the Dark Brotherhood basement and whomever is in the castle.

While it was cool to see everyone go after each other it really sucks that the game autosaved while this was going on. I hadn't created an actual save in over 2 hours so now I either have to live with an empty Cheydinhal or go back and do everything all over again.

Seth C

An interesting thing happened regarding my vampirism. I admit, I had taken quite some time curing it, leading to me being a vampire for the majority of the time I've been playing. However, suddenly I do not have to feed. Even after several weeks of game time passing, I now remain at the lowest level of vampirism, with the only penalty being a slightly increased weakness to fire. I wonder, is this supposed to happen, or is it some lucky bug? Either way, it is awesome having all the added attributes without the sun damage!

gblues

Banned
Completely random thought: wonder if we could make the infamous MGS3 "prruuuwuuuwu" sound effect play randomly when you are a vampire and need to feed. That would be kinda funny. :)

Nathan

Seth C

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Cheydinhal is no more.

3 Will-O-Wisps followed me into town and all hell broke loose. Everyone started to try to kill 'em but a lot of the villagers ended up hitting the guards which then turned on them. No one could kill the Will-O-Wisps and everyone that was outside is dead. I think the only people still left in the town are the guys in the Dark Brotherhood basement and whomever is in the castle.

While it was cool to see everyone go after each other it really sucks that the game autosaved while this was going on. I hadn't created an actual save in over 2 hours so now I either have to live with an empty Cheydinhal or go back and do everything all over again.

That's hilarious. I have two similar stories myself. The first involves the unicorn. I stumbled in to its area before I had planned to, and it (as well as its protectors) gave chase. I ran toward town, and a monster brawl was started up behind me. Eventually, I entered a camp near a human who helped me finish off the minotaur. I went back to take out the unicorn (figuring it was now alone) only to find its corpse on the side of the road.

Another time some guards decided to start some shit with me (okay, so I stole the entire castle wine cellar). I was toying with them, catching their arrows with my shield (free arrows!) and jumping from building to building. Using my shield got boring, so I started using bums in the street, dodging behind them and letting them take the arrows for me. At that point, some of the locals took offense to the guards and started casting spells at them, slaughtering the majority of the town's military force.

Seth C said:
An interesting thing happened regarding my vampirism. I admit, I had taken quite some time curing it, leading to me being a vampire for the majority of the time I've been playing. However, suddenly I do not have to feed. Even after several weeks of game time passing, I now remain at the lowest level of vampirism, with the only penalty being a slightly increased weakness to fire. I wonder, is this supposed to happen, or is it some lucky bug? Either way, it is awesome having all the added attributes without the sun damage!

The same thing happened to me and SnakeXs. I've been a vampire for over 30 in-game days and have never fed on anyone (not even once), but yet I'm still a low level vampire. I have no clue why that is... how did you become a vampire? I did it through
the Dark Brotherhood
. Maybe, there's a bug if you do it that way.

Speevy

Banned
Minotaurs will similarly rip anyone apart. I had to save someone from death when one of these things went on a rampage.

LakeEarth

The one thing I don't like about this game is how easy it is to accidentally steal something. Now I have to go through a god knows how long quest to get back into the Fighters Guild cause I accidentally tried to talk to someone without realizing I was crouching. It autosaved too quick and my last regular save was an hour ago. FUCK! Anyone know where to find 20 fucking bear pelts?

raYne

LakeEarth said:
The one thing I don't like about this game is how easy it is to accidentally steal something. Now I have to go through a god knows how long quest to get back into the Fighters Guild cause I accidentally tried to talk to someone without realizing I was crouching. FUCK! Anyone know where to find 20 fucking bear pelts?
...and you didn't just reload because?

I had it happen to me as well, but that's the first thing I did.

LakeEarth

raYne said:
...and you didn't just reload because?

I had it happen to me as well, but that's the first thing I did.
It autosaved right the fuck away. I went to talk to someone, it took me to the "whats in his pockets" screen, and when exited that screen it sent me straight outside the Fighters Guild, autosaving. My last save was an hour earlier.

LakeEarth

OMG it happened again. This time I walked into an armor shop, and when I went to talk to the guy, I hit the counter, causing a piece of armor to fly into the air, so when I hit the button to talk to the shopkeeper I caught the armor in midair. THIEF!!!!

raYne

Jesus dude, you're the clumsiest hero in all the land. :lol

Not sure about the bear pelts since I never had to look for 'em. I guess it's time to move on to other quests 'till you come across enough pelts in your journey. :/

LakeEarth

raYne said:
Jesus dude, you're the clumsiest hero in all the land. :lol

Not sure about the bear pelts since I never had to look for 'em. I guess it's time to move on to other quests 'till you come across enough pelts in your journey. :/
Oh I took care of the bear pelts, seems like every trading post has 5 bear pelts for just such an occasion. So I'm out a grand, oh well.

And when the armor flew, I was like, you have GOT to be KIDDING ME!

God I hate the Oblivion realm. I'm trying to get some sigil stones to enchant some damage on my weapons, and all I keep getting are the crappy Fatigue or Magicka ones. They seem to be getting longer and longer now, and crammed with goddamn tank Daedroth every five steps.

I'd love to see a mod that replaces these drawn-out gauntlets with a duel against a single, high-powered Dremora.

knitoe

Once you finish the main quest, are all the oblivioin gates gone? I want to try to get permanent damage enchant. Thought I got one, but it turn out to be +25 shock requiring charges. Sux.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
In the future... You see the blue bar on the main topic page? The third one from the top that reads:

If you click any of those options it sorts the topic list so you can check those things.
Wow. I had *no* idea that existed. Thanks.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
While I don't have a 360, I've been following this thread religiously, and I've been mostly curious about enchanting and fantasizing of having the ability to create my own weapon of supreme bad-assed-ness. But, the enchanting process hasn't been discussed at as great a length as many of the other games features.

What's enchanting a weapon like? I mean, what are the limits? Can I make my own powerful blade/staff/frying pan that has many characteristics and benefits but at the result of increased monetary needs, increasing skill level needs, lesser number of charges, greater chance of failure, etc....

Since I suspect the answer to my question is "no" I'm going to ask "Why the hell not, Steve?!" ;) That'd be cool, to have it be THAT open ended in the creation of enchanted gear. Is it possible that a mod could be released that opens up the enchanting capability a little (assuming it's heavily restricted for the purposes of keeping the game tough).

Ecrofirt

2 questions:

1) How do I raise levels for magic types I don't have? for instance, my alteration is level 5, and I've got not alteration spells. Most alteration spells I've seen need a level higher than 5 to even work.

2)
I'm doing the 2 sides of a coin quest. I'm supposed to kill the lady now. Is there a way to kill her without alerting the guards?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Fuck this game!

I finally got into it. :(
I ditched my mage and started up a thief. Got into the thieves guild, then the dark brotherhood and became a vampire. I've been finding most of the quests to be dull, but the assassin ones are fucking sweet. Going to the guy's house and
dropping the minotaur head on him
was pretty awesome. I was worried that becoming a vampire would strip out playable hours, but I'm glad it didn't go that way.
I will agree though that I've slipped up and stolen items FAR too many times. It'd be nice if there was a "are you sure you want to loot" message. Or something. Far too many slippups. I just find it funny that I can touch a 0-gold cup and go to jail but my random jackassery of dancing on dinner tables and kicking shit all over an inn goes unnoticed. That better be fixed in the next one. :D

2)
I'm doing the 2 sides of a coin quest. I'm supposed to kill the lady now. Is there a way to kill her without alerting the guards?
Just
talk to her and have her give you the pendant and show it to the dude.
Honestly I was (ignore this bit)
kinda upset at how flat that one ended in the path I picked. Dude wouldn't say anything else about it!

Victrix

*beard*
I'm conducting a little test to see if an issue can be shaken out here, hopefully something that can be fixed by Beth or nvidia.

I'm pretty happy with how the game runs on my rig (1280, ultra high detected settings, HDR on), using a 7800GS AGP

However... there is one very specific effect that absolutely slaughters my framerate, and I'm trying to find out of it's just me, my video card, the drivers, specific to nvidia, or something else

The blobs of 'fog' that show up in various parts of certain dungeons, and in many parts of the caves of Oblivion (the big reddish blob 'fog' clouds, usually located over the openings you drop down, sometimes just sort of hovering in rooms). In dungeons, they're usually in some more open Ayleid ruins or parts of some caves, again, they're usually semi spherical 'blobs' of 'fog'

With HDR on, they just crush my framerate. Every time I turn past them, there's a noticable drag on the fps, enough to make mouselooking sludgy and uncomfortable

I'd like to know if this is just a problem with HDR and nvidia cards, my card, drivers, or what. For reference, I'm using the aforementioned 7800 GS agp, a p4 3.2c, 2 gigs of ddr 400, and the 84.25 drivers, with coolbits enabled at 1

Here's some screens of the culprit in a cave, it's a bit more obvious with the single giant red blob in an oblivion cave, but I don't have one handy atm, playing a different character:

HDR On, looking away and towards the room:
http://www.gizstuff.com/victrix/oblivion screens/hdr away.jpg
http://www.gizstuff.com/victrix/oblivion screens/hdr fog.jpg

Bloom on instead, looking away and towards the room - no fog with bloom at all!:
http://www.gizstuff.com/victrix/oblivion screens/bloom away.jpg
http://www.gizstuff.com/victrix/oblivion screens/bloom fog.jpg

Here's the save file, Right click and Save As, then rename from .jpg to .ess - goes in My docs/my games/oblivion/saves:

http://www.gizstuff.com/victrix/obl...rock Cave, Level 8, Playing Time 08.43.15.jpg

You can hit ` to bring down the console, then type tdt to bring up the fps display

If you could check that specific effect and post your abbreviated system specs (don't need your case fan and keyboard, thanks :D), it'd help a lot to narrow this issue down.

edit:

fixed save file link

Mejilan

Odd. I get those blobby fogs with Bloom on my Radeon X850XT (no HDR available for this graphics card), but it doesn't affect my framerate at all. I always thought they looked rather purty.

Hey, you duders that are complaining about inopportune autosaves. Why don't you rely a bit more on your own created save files? Also, you realize that quicksaves and autosaves are TWO different files, right? At least, on the PC, I have the game autosave everytime I rest, wait, fast-travel, or enter/exit an area, and I quicksave/load with F5 and F9 respectively. I rely primarily on quicksaving and quickloading while I play, but if I fuck up, steal, and not realize until after I quicksaved, I know I have a backup autosave from the last time I exited an area.

And of course, I maintaing at least one actual save file which I generally save to once or twice an hour.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Well I don't see a quicksave option on x360 and since you can't name your saves, it's more annoying

Mejilan

Yeah, you can't rename the real saves in the PC version either. They just fall under the name "Save x" where x is a number, and of course are time and date stamped. I think they have your character's level as well.

RevenantKioku

Damn! It's almost too difficult to find someone to feed on.

knitoe

Where do I get some "Weakness to..." spells? Need them for enchants. Think, I have checked every city. Hoping, wasn't found in Bruma Mage Guild. That place was burned down in Mage questline.

belgurdo

Banned
Argghhh...my PC's still crashing to powerdown or bsod every after every two hours of gametime and I still can't figure it out. It has been doing this for two damn days. Dear God, I hope there's a patch soon...

In other news, I managed to get into a mission where I'm swept out to sea by treasure hunting thieves. Do I get to visit this
Golden Galleon
they're talking about?

RevenantKioku

Two questions:
How do I recharge the charges on magical weapons?
What is exactly up with the vampirism? I fed but I still slept a day later and aged/got the negative effects. Can I reverse those while still keeping the vampirism?

Top Bottom