• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
A couple of pages back, someone asked me what mods I was currently running. As of 5 minutes ago (where I updated a few texture packs), this is what I have going...

Gameplay Mods:
- AF's Leveling Mod (completely redone, more natural leveling that thoroughly eliminates the cumbersome and un-fun micromanagment requirement to leveling instituted in Morrowind and continued in Oblivion. Since Oblivion ties all skills to a single attribute, the natural leveling mod will slowly augment your stats, on-the-fly, as you increment your skills, using the pre-existing skill->stat attribute ties. Major skills affect your stats MUCH more than minor skills, of course. Stat attributes and levels update on-the-fly, no resting required. New scripts take effect after the tutorial dungeon. Mod comes with a Ring of Choice that, when activated, creates a new menu allowing you to select from a large variety of different level-calculation formulae. Some are based off skill gains, some are based off attribute gains, some allow you to max all skills, others not, some allow you to cap out at level 50 or so, others at 35, etc. Very comprehensive, very thorough. Skills and levels largely increment at similar levels to standard Oblivion.)

- Skills & Needs Part 1 - Sleep (requires sleep of 6-8 hours every 24 hours, or suffer penalties and drains. Adds portable bedroll to many stores.)

- Skills & Needs Part 2 - Eat (requires characters to eat at 8am, 12pm, and 8pm. Will auto-eat if food in inventory.)

- Jarol's NPC Equipment Mod (completely revamps NPC leveled loot/drop lists. It's still scaled per level, but the higher level the goods, the RARER the drop. Daedric drops will now only happen 2 or 3% of the time. Iron and Steel are MUCH more common throughout the course of the game. Even makes Steel show up earlier in the game. Restore's Daggerfall's Daedric rarity and helps lessen endless glut of gold that becomes available later, due to excessive Daedric-equipment sales.)

- Auto Flora Harvest (somewhat buggy mod that will auto-harvest outdoor flora for ingredients, just by getting close enough to them. Has trouble handling clumps of 3 or more, however. If you approach a clump of 3 or more, it seems to only grab 2. You'll have to manually pick the rest yourself. Still, quite convenient! Also REMOVES the 3D model for all harvested flora (auto-harvested or manually), until those flora respawn a few days later!)

- Quest Award Leveling (Oblivion has a flaw, of sorts, where quest rewards are scaled to your level. This has the unfortunate effect of penalizing you for completing MANY quests early, as you'll miss out on the ultimate versions of a lot of the game's magical equipment, some of which are quite powerful and exciting! Many magical quest rewards have lv5, lv10, lv15, lv20, etc flavors, depending on YOUR level when you completed the quest. This mod will dynamically level all quest rewards as you gain in levels. I believe rewards kept in a chest at home will auto-level when you next pick them up, if applicable.)

- Guild Item Ownership (No more immediate looting of guild-houses or factions when joining organizations. Now all guild-items are tied to an associated rank, and only a guild-member of matching or higher rank can partake of said items. You must earn your rewards. Highest ranked members will be able to appropriate all goods, eventually. Also adds "Guild Storage" chests to Fighters and Mages Guilds, allowing you to SAFELY store items there, at least until you purchase a home.)

- Bounty Reduction Over Time (pops a message when you become a wanted criminal and have a bounty. Bounties now reduce over (real) time, IF you manage to avoid the initial 2-minute heat period. Bounty of 5 takes about 7 real-time minutes to fade. Bounty of 40 about 36 real-time minutes. Bounty of 1000+ about 3 real-time hours, etc. Simulates the idea of a case growing cold, without leads, and being dropped for more current/pressing crimes.)

- Fast Home Travel (drops a magical ring on the floor of the hovel you can buy in Imperial City. When activated, it opens up a prompt allowing you to teleport to various locations you can CURRENTLY occupy. Will not grant you access to homes or locations you haven't yet earned yourself. Doesn't yet capture them all. One-way trip only.)

- Mark & Recall (adds two new spells restoring this beloved functionality from Daggerfall. Essentially, Mark will errr, mark the location you cast it in, and Recall will teleport you back there. Like in Daggerfall, it can fail and will still drain magicka upon failure. Cannot be cast during combat, for game-balance reasons.)

- Call Steed & Saddle Bags (allows you to purchase new call/summon steed spells and adds saddle bags to horses, ala Daggerfall. Seems slightly glitchy with initial installation of Horse Armor Pack, but there is a workaround, if you have yet to install Bethsoft's first official mod.)

- Increased Training Allowance (removes the 5 trains per level cap. Not game-breaking since training is largely cost prohibitive and I've yet been actually able to AFFORD 5 trains per level at all. Currently level 6. It's really for later-game training, allowing you to "catch up" with the training you missed out earlier in the game due to a lack of funds.)

- TF Timemod (default = 1 real-world minute : 30 in-game minutes ratio. Allows you to switch to a 1:20, 1:10, or 1:1 ratio. I'm using 1:20.)

- Light Elven & Mithril Equipment (restores classic fantasy convention of Elven and Mithril metals being significantly lighter than Dwarven, etc.)

- Gem Price Fix (doesn't spawn more gems, but makes each type of gem more valuable.)

- Lighter Alchemy Ingredients (makes food and ingredients lighter. A must for S&N2 - Eat and Auto Flora Harvest mods.)

- Buy Lockpicks (adds merchant that sells lockpicks. Great for non-members of the Thieves Guild.)

- Lower Echant Recharge Cost (self-explanatory. Default cost is exorbitant.)

- Trainer Book (adds a new book to the gameworld listing the details and locations of all of the game's skill trainers. You can safely take this book without worry of stealing and keep it with you for reference. I believe it even weighs nothing.)

- Oblivion Horse Armor Mod (first of 3 official mods to be developed by Bethsoft and sold as premium content. PC versions seem to be slightly cheaper than Xbox versions of premium content. Uh... adds 2 kinds of horse armor. Total waste of money.)

Graphics Mods:
- BT Mod (complete GUI overhaul. Smaller fonts to fit 2-3x the amount of inventory and skill information in their respective menus. Optional Customization Package available as well. Contains various options for view higher rez, more zoomed-out overworld maps (yes!!). Contains various options for tweaking in-game HUD as well. Compatible with the amazing Color Map Mod. Absolutely indispensible, as it removes a lot of the default GUI and HUD clutter.)

- Color Map Mod (recolors the default map according to region. Very professionally done, and purposefully made compatible with BT Mod's map-resizing functionality for a zoomed out, larger map view.)

- Crosshair Size Reduction (self-explanatory. Makes game look less "console-ish". Sorry Xbox fans.)

- No Outdoor Area Notification (created this mod myself. Entirely removes common "Loading Area" notification when exploring wilderness.)

- Prompt at Two Items (when buying or selling pairs of items, prompts you to buy/sell all, as if you were doing 3 or more.)

- Jarrod's Oblivion Terrain Texture Mod (a huge graphics pack, plus 2 smaller "patch" packs that include hi rez textures for the up-close terrains. Affects all roads, grasses, cobblestones, dungeons, etc, but does NOT affect objects such as trees, signs, rocks, etc. Yet. One or two specific textures look off, but in general, this looks SICK and is fully compatible with the LOD terrain and normal map retextures contained in this list. Jarrod is rather famous for his Morrowind retextures, years ago. He wasted no time.)

- Landscape LOD Texture Replacement (two separate packs that significantly upgrade the look of distant terrain when LOD is enabled. Gets rid of the hideous, low rez green blobs of land. Pack 1 retextures the central regions. Pack 2 does the same for the border regions.)

- Landscape LOD Normal Maps Replacement (replaces the normal maps for distant terrain, when LOD is enabled. Looks great and is wonderful compliment to the Landscape LOD Texture Replacement mod.)

- Better Night Sky (includes 4 different, higher rez moon texture options, all of which remove the jarring "black border" around the moons. Also includes an enhanced nebula star arrangement which looks beautiful.)

- Beautiful Stars (redoes the rest of the stars, seemingly without conflicting with the moon and nebula mod listed here. Night sky has more detail, major TES constellations are now highlighted, and there's a nice twinkling effect in play. Looks gorgeous and dynamic. High AA seems to diminish the twinkling.)

- Short Grass (halves the height of terrain grass, improving performance significantly without seriously compromising visual lushness. Works great for seeing harvestable ingredients and wolves/rats in the wild!)

- Better Gold Textures (high rez re-texture for gold coins.)

- Better Water (improves look of water, underwater and otherwise. Tweaks opacity and underwater fogging.)

- Magic Effect Dim (halves the aura effect of spells and enchanted weaponry, doing much to minimize the garish, glowy saran-wrap effect of default settings.)

- Oblivion Cats (adds a bunch of new creatures to Oblivion's cities. Street cats!)

INI & Miscellaneous Tweaks:
- Enabled Screenshots

- Disabled start-up logos and cinematics. Game loads straight to main menu.

- Lowered grass density but GREATLY expanded grass range. Looks better, much less grass pop-in, and a slight boost to framerate. Can't complain.

- By default, game mirrors terrain on water surface. Tweaked INI to have water surface also mirror trees, static objects, miscellaneous objects, and actors.

- Enabled a colored (green to red) health bar above enemies' heads, instead of the mono-scale health bar a top crosshairs.

- Increased Pre-Load, which benefits high-RAM systems with a slight performance increase.

- Got a No-CD crack to keep my CE DVD packed away and free from harm, and reduce drive wear & tear.

All mods tested with Oblivion Mod Manager 0.5.2 and deemed compatible with each other. Should you decide to use any retexture mods, make sure to download and run the ArchiveInvalidation.txt Auto-Generation Tool which will scan your game folders and create a valid and comprehensive ArchiveInvalidation.txt file. This file overrides Oblivion's tendency to IGNORE some or all of the installed upgraded textures and use the generic textures from the game archive.

Woo woo folks. PC version is indeed the definitive edition!

Gattsu25

Banned
Mejilan said:
A couple of pages back, someone asked me what mods I was currently running. As of 5 minutes ago (where I updated a few texture packs), this is what I have going...

Gameplay Mods:

Graphics Mods:
- Color Map Mod (recolors the default map according to region. Very professionally done, and purposefully made compatible with BT Mod's map-resizing functionality for a zoomed out, larger map view.)

- Crosshair Size Reduction (self-explanatory. Makes game look less "console-ish". Sorry Xbox fans.)

- No Outdoor Area Notification (created this mod myself. Entirely removes common "Loading Area" notification when exploring wilderness.)

- Prompt at Two Items (when buying or selling pairs of items, prompts you to buy/sell all, as if you were doing 3 or more.)

- Jarrod's Oblivion Terrain Texture Mod (a huge graphics pack, plus 2 smaller "patch" packs that include hi rez textures for the up-close terrains. Affects all roads, grasses, cobblestones, dungeons, etc, but does NOT affect objects such as trees, signs, rocks, etc. Yet. One or two specific textures look off, but in general, this looks SICK and is fully compatible with the LOD terrain and normal map retextures contained in this list. Jarrod is rather famous for his Morrowind retextures, years ago. He wasted no time.)

- Landscape LOD Texture Replacement (two separate packs that significantly upgrade the look of distant terrain when LOD is enabled. Gets rid of the hideous, low rez green blobs of land. Pack 1 retextures the central regions. Pack 2 does the same for the border regions.)

- Landscape LOD Normal Maps Replacement (replaces the normal maps for distant terrain, when LOD is enabled. Looks great and is wonderful compliment to the Landscape LOD Texture Replacement mod.)

- Better Night Sky (includes 4 different, higher rez moon texture options, all of which remove the jarring "black border" around the moons. Also includes an enhanced nebula star arrangement which looks beautiful.)

- Beautiful Stars (redoes the rest of the stars, seemingly without conflicting with the moon and nebula mod listed here. Night sky has more detail, major TES constellations are now highlighted, and there's a nice twinkling effect in play. Looks gorgeous and dynamic. High AA seems to diminish the twinkling.)

- Short Grass (halves the height of terrain grass, improving performance significantly without seriously compromising visual lushness. Works great for seeing harvestable ingredients and wolves/rats in the wild!)

- Better Gold Textures (high rez re-texture for gold coins.)

- Better Water (improves look of water, underwater and otherwise. Tweaks opacity and underwater fogging.)

- Magic Effect Dim (halves the aura effect of spells and enchanted weaponry, doing much to minimize the garish, glowy saran-wrap effect of default settings.)

- Oblivion Cats (adds a bunch of new creatures to Oblivion's cities. Street cats!)

INI & Miscellaneous Tweaks:
- Lowered grass density but GREATLY expanded grass range. Looks better, much less grass pop-in, and a slight boost to framerate. Can't complain.

- By default, game mirrors terrain on water surface. Tweaked INI to have water surface also mirror trees, static objects, miscellaneous objects, and actors.

All mods tested with Oblivion Mod Manager 0.5.2 and deemed compatible with each other. Should you decide to use any retexture mods, make sure to download and run the ArchiveInvalidation.txt Auto-Generation Tool which will scan your game folders and create a valid and comprehensive ArchiveInvalidation.txt file. This file overrides Oblivion's tendency to IGNORE some or all of the installed upgraded textures and use the generic textures from the game archive.

Woo woo folks. PC version is indeed the definitive edition!
Ok...how do I get all of this stuff...and can you explain how you went about editing the INI files?

Mejilan

http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Main_Page

^^

The Oblivion Mod Wiki is a must-have resource. Check out the tools for Mod Managers, Save Managers, INI Tweakers, etc. (Some tweaks can be done using the INI Tweaker, others I learned about from other forums.)

The Mod Wiki's Mod Database is utterly invaluable. Click on a mod that looks interested for a detailed page, and if that page has links to an official site (or even, better, an official discussion thread), go there for up-to-date downloads and discussions!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I really don't use that many mods... mostly out of laziness in installing them

faster horses - horses gradually accelerate to their top speed which is now faster than the original

horse saddle bags - can place items in your horse's inventory. Horses have a carrying capacity of 2*current health. If you go over 50% capacity then your horse starts to slow down.

new arrows - adds some interesting new arrows to be bought at shops. The paralyze ones are overpowerd though

color map mod

combat behavior modification - makes enemies smarter, archers will (albeit poorly) at least attempt to kite you, etc. Harder monsters are more agressive and will use their more powerful attacks more often.

potion sorter - renames potions to look like healing, potent so that they are automatically sorted nicely in my inventory

just downloaded one that adds a guy in bruma that sells arctic fur equipment based on fur that adds very small boosts to agility, marksmen, and cold res\

BTMod - a must have GUI enhancement

winalot

Dr_Cogent said:
I had some orc talking jive to me just recently. I swear. It was hilarious. It was like archaic jive. LOL! This game actually has quite a bit of humor in it :)
I look forward to meeting him, the funniest conversation I've had with an NPC lately was a lodge owner in Anvil, Gold Coast. She was very happy to tell me that her beds were reserved for seamen :lol
I'm sure it was intended to be perfectly innocent.

Mejilan

Man, those Vilverin ruins outside of the Imperial City Prison/Sewer exit. I just finished exploring all 4 or so floors. Awesome stuff! Gained 2 levels in there AND got my Blades to 50!

BTW, at the end of the Vilverin ruins, was I supposed to kill that Jalbert/Necromancer dude? I don't have a quest for him, but I kicked his ass and took is 'undelivered letter' which apparently was supposed to go to one Aluc.

Zabojnik

Steve, I know that this is probably more of a publisher related problem, but you guys (or, well, some other ... guys) need to take better care when it comes to localizations. The italian xbox 360 version of Oblivion is - how should I put this - shamefully translated. There's typos (like one every fifteen sentences), grammatical errors (the characters speak as if they were all males, which really puts you off) and parts of the interface are simply left in english.

And from what I hear the german edition isn't much better. Some errors I expected, since the game is enormous (and I'm enjoying it like I've enjoyed only a few RPGs before), but the localization as a whole really comes off as a sloppy piece of work. At least if they would've left the original english text as an option ... but they didn't. :(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Zabojnik said:
Steve, I know that this is probably more of a publisher related problem, but you guys (or, well, some other ... guys) need to take better care when it comes to localizations. The italian xbox 360 version of Oblivion is - how should I put this - shamefully translated. There's typos (like one every fifteen sentences), grammatical errors (the characters speak as if they were all males, which really puts you off) and parts of the interface are simply left in english.

And from what I hear the german edition isn't much better. Some errors I expected, since the game is enormous (and I'm enjoying it like I've enjoyed only a few RPGs before), but the localization as a whole really comes off as a sloppy piece of work. At least if they would've left the original english text as an option ... but they didn't. :(
It's not in English if your console settings are? :(

Zabojnik

Nope, only the voices. Which I found strange, since other games usually are multilanguage (like GRAW). Dunno why they cut out the english text. It couldn't be a disc space related problem, could it? I know there's a ton of it, but it's ... text after all. :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Mejilan said:
Man, those Vilverin ruins outside of the Imperial City Prison/Sewer exit. I just finished exploring all 4 or so floors. Awesome stuff! Gained 2 levels in there AND got my Blades to 50!

BTW, at the end of the Vilverin ruins, was I supposed to kill that Jalbert/Necromancer dude? I don't have a quest for him, but I kicked his ass and took is 'undelivered letter' which apparently was supposed to go to one Aluc.

I was wondering this too, I tried to use this dungeon to up my sneak skills so I tried to use torch as little as possible. In the last room with the necromancer it was like pitch black but I didn't want to equip my torch as I knew there were enemies around when it wouldn't let me wait an hour to recharge my health.

I was wondering what to do, I try turning up my speakers to see if I could hear where enemies were, then this scary voices goes "HELLO? WHO's THERE?":lol Kinda scared me as a human being was the last thing I expected all the way up there.

I need a little advice regarding ghost killing, its so blooody difficult, the only thing which seems to work is my shock magic and even then it takes like multiple refills of my magicka bar to kill just one ghost. What else works on these suckers?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Mejilan said:

My understanding is that dungeons reset themselves after 3 game days, so if you get a quest involving him he would be back.

rod

Banned
can someone help me out here, im doing the
dark brotherhood quest where you have to shoot the the guy in the lake in leyawiin. the ex imperial guard or some bs. well whenever i shoot him clean with the arrow he doesnt die, he goes auto-armour on me. how do you get this quest done?

Solo

rod said:
can someone help me out here, im doing the
dark brotherhood quest where you have to shoot the the guy in the lake in leyawiin. the ex imperial guard or some bs. well whenever i shoot him clean with the arrow he doesnt die, he goes auto-armour on me. how do you get this quest done?

Same thing kept happening to me. In the end, I just killed him, the guard, and anyone else who joined the fray. :D

RSP

My entire screen goes white right from the start. I can tell i'm in some kind of dungeon and see some skeletons on the floor but other than that is just a white void. Anybody know the solution for this problem?

edit;
I got the fix at oldblivion.com

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Zabojnik said:

Localization is quite poor, as I already tried to convey earlier in the thread.

Not only there are quite a lot of typos in the books, but quite often the subtitles are just plain wrong compared to what the characters are saying...

I want the interface to be in english and so the voices and so the books: when a game has so much content, a massive amount of text, voice acting, etc... localization often ends sucking pretty bad... which is fine IF you still have the original voices and subtitles and text in the books to rely on. I really do not understand why you CANNOT select English subtitles and have the books in English instead of really typos-filled Italian.

Otherwise this is one of the best games games I have ever played and sits in my Olympus of great games, but it could be even more enjoyable to play if I could enjoy it more fully.

GhaleonEB

This weeks top Live games
Posted: April 8, 2006 @ 5:37 am (4 hours, 54 minutes ago) By: Major Nelson
1 Halo 2
2 Oblivion
3 Ghost Recon 3
4 Call of Duty 2
5 BFMC (Original Xbox)
6 EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 3
7 PGR3
8 Perfect Dark Zero
9 DEAD OR ALIVE 4
10 Battlefield 2: MC Demo
I'm impressed that Oblivion is being played more than GRAW. (by systems connected to live, at least)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
the tournament of 10 blood was pretty easy but took a whiel cuz of all the damn healing potions those guys had.

but damn the arrows some of them had are nice o_O

I want more of these arrows... 10ft 65 fire damage arrows... mmmmmm

if I were to make the random assumption that all damage gets tripled on a sneak attack (which I'm still curious how that actually works)...

thats something like 380 damage from one hit ^_^

firex

I got so fricking rich from that quest! I literally made about 32k money from all those enchanted arrows, and healing potions (I walked out with about 200 strong healing potions). And I finally got a daedric helm, and some other enchanted gear.

Funnily enough, with the Leveling Quest Rewards mod, a sword I got from that rather easy quest to defend a farm outside of Chorrol is actually stronger than
Goldbrand,
the reward for doing that tournament. But it was still a fun quest.

It's funny though... I've barely progressed in the main quest any, nor have I progressed much in the guilds (I'm furthest along in the mages' guild, and soon will be doing the dark brotherhood) or even done a lot of daedric quests. I've just run around doing random dungeons, and cleared a couple oblivion gates, and that's about it. But after I finish up the mages' guild I'm going to work on the brotherhood and then go along more with the main quest (
Right now I'm at the point where I'm supposed to meet someone in the Mythic Dawn to get the last book I need for the main quest.
).

And while I've been playing this game more than any others I own, I know I haven't done nearly as much as a lot of other people in this topic have. And yet I'm still planning another play through almost right after I beat the game with this character.

GreekWolf

firex said:
And while I've been playing this game more than any others I own, I know I haven't done nearly as much as a lot of other people in this topic have. And yet I'm still planning another play through almost right after I beat the game with this character.
The thing about the Elder Scrolls series, is that the games are designed to last for the entire duration of the current generation. Daggerfall was so ridiculously huge, with so many areas to explore, that some folks have been playing every week since it's release in 1996, and still haven't completed the main quest.

Morrowind is much the same way, especially when you factor in the expansions. I must have poured over a thousand hours into that gameworld. I never even got around to laying the smack down on Dagoth Ur.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
GreekWolf said:
The thing about the Elder Scrolls series, is that the games are designed to last for the entire duration of the current generation. Daggerfall was so ridiculously huge, with so many areas to explore, that some folks have been playing every week since it's release in 1996, and still haven't completed the main quest.

Morrowind is much the same way, especially when you factor in the expansions. I must have poured over a thousand hours into that gameworld. I never even got around to laying the smack down on Dagoth Ur.

I get excited thinking about what they have planned for the Expansion for Oblivion

LakeEarth

My strength and endurance are red right now and I can't figure out why. I've unequiped every item I have, still they are in red. WTF.

Mejilan

They've been drained. Go to your magic menu and check what active effects are on you. Perhaps they were drained by an attack or a potion or a curse or something. If you can't figure out how to fix it using magic or potions, try hitting up a temple and praying to restore your stats.

Mejilan

*Le sigh*

I love my computer, but my Radeon XT850X is starting to feel a bit... crusty. Anyone know how much it would cost me to upgrade to ATI's newest? For that matter, WHAT is ATI's newest? Would I have to worry about mobo compatability issues or power source issues or whatnot? Thanks...

Mejilan said:
*Le sigh*

I love my computer, but my Radeon XT850X is starting to feel a bit... crusty. Anyone know how much it would cost me to upgrade to ATI's newest? For that matter, WHAT is ATI's newest? Would I have to worry about mobo compatability issues or power source issues or whatnot? Thanks...

If you have a PCI-e compatible board and a decent PSU, you should be fine. I think the latest ATi is x1900XTX (roughly costing around $400+).

LakeEarth

Mejilan said:
They've been drained. Go to your magic menu and check what active effects are on you. Perhaps they were drained by an attack or a potion or a curse or something. If you can't figure out how to fix it using magic or potions, try hitting up a temple and praying to restore your stats.
Yeah I've tried praying, cure poison, cure disease, dispel... nothing will work. And there is nothing negative occuring in my Active Effects region :s Now my agility and speed are down too... I don't know what's going on. Now just strength...

You wanna hear a real WTF moment? I was fighting some random Ogre in the woods south of the Imperial City when I searched him, and he had 6 jumbo potatoes. I'm like ok, so I grab them, and the quest menu pops up. "Hmm, this is odd, I should hang on to these potatoes!" WTF indeed.

Mejilan

Vyse The Legend said:
If you have a PCI-e compatible board and a decent PSU, you should be fine. I think the latest ATi is x1900XTX (roughly costing around $400+).

According to my BIOS settings (I think), my X850XT is PCI-E. My only other choice would be AGP, right? Pretty sure it's not that.

Don't know too much about my PSU. The system was put together by Dell a little over a year ago. I wonder how much I could eBay my 850 for...

Mejilan

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. What will be a big feature of the DX10 cards? When are they do? I haven't really been following.

syllogism

Mejilan said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. What will be a big feature of the DX10 cards? When are they do? I haven't really been following.

I haven't heard any concrete dates, but late this year at earliest and more likely next year.

edit: x850xt is like 18 months old, so if that's how often you upgrade your pc go ahead

Mejilan

m0dus said:
Er. I still have my X850 XTPE (it's in the ol' renderbox now) When I (re)built my gaming rig, when I went with a new card (along with everything else--RAM, CPU, etc), I bit the bullet and went ahead with the x1900xt (the xtx is a complete waste of money). It provides some very nice performance if you play at high resolutions (1600 x 1200 or 1680 x 1050 ). Plus, considering the 1900 series adds PS 3.0 effects to ATI's stable, it's a good choice if you play alot of the newer games. The problem is, with any of the new cards, you need a beefier PSU.

Question is, has he tried running oblivion on the x850? It should be able to keep up pretty good at 1024 x 768 . . . It's not really worth upgrading for just one game.

Oblivion runs fine at 1024x768. I'm pushing it pretty hard (Large textures, most settings set to "high", all features enabled save for HDR, which is unavailable, 2 pass AA, LOD on, etc.) I've got tweaks and whatnot going to improve framerate, but I'm getting largely 60fps indoors, though it chugs quite a bit outdoors. Of course, I could tone down view distance, reflection, shadows, etc. to improve even outdoor framerate dramatically.

What's wrong with the xtx? I amazoned the x1900 and there are like a dozen versions. No idea where to begin.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
scr7.jpg

scr8.jpg

scr9.jpg

Man, this game must have felt HUGE back when it was launched... somehow I also have the feeling that back then with the graphics technology taking lee time to develop and the art being less complicated to create than it is today (well, compared to a game like Oblivion it should be surely less complicated) that the game must have been so filled with content to really make the game fans happy.

The thing is that somehow I ever heard of The Elder Scrolls series before Morrowind... where was I living ?

:lol.

Panajev2001a said:
The thing is that somehow I ever heard of The Elder Scrolls series before Morrowind... where was I living ?

:lol.

If you picked up any computer magazine during the mid 90's it would've been impossible to not read about Arena or Daggerfall.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
If you picked up any computer magazine during the mid 90's it would've been impossible to not read about Arena or Daggerfall.

I picked up computer magazines (mostly PC World, some of the early Internet centered magazines and some PC Gaming magazine released here in Italy), but I never really encountered the series before Morrowind was being developed and word and screens were coming out.

In the early 90's I was playing Amiga games and the first PC games I gave much thought (besides Lucas Arts games, moving from the Amiga) were DOOM II, Rise of the Triads, Duke Nuke 3D, Quake I, Quake II, Descent, etc... RPG-wise my interest was centered around Feist's Betrayal at Krondor (GREAT game :D, very open-ended TES-like game with a great story behind it... Raymond E. Feist and "his" Middle... ahem Midkemia made for a pretty engrossing world to visit... you had tons of quests, tons of towns, people to meet, etc... it introduced me to his books).

Uncle

syllogism said:
Fighter's guild is pretty dull, but this orc aristocrat was pretty amusing

Yeah. It was funny when I left the house after talking to him and passed the daughter, she said "please don't tell anyone". :lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SteveMeister said:
It's awesome reading this thread -- you guys have uncovered far, far more than I've seen in the game :D

BTW, has any of you guys played Betrayal at Krondor (more than 1 hour or so I mean :)) ? If so, what do you think of it ?

GreekWolf

SteveMeister said:
It's awesome reading this thread -- you guys have uncovered far, far more than I've seen in the game :D
As a developer, I wouldn't admit that if I were you. :lol

Awesome game. By far my favorite in the series.

snaildog

Panajev2001a said:
BTW, has any of you guys played Betrayal at Krondor (more than 1 hour or so I mean :)) ? If so, what do you think of it ?
One of the best RPGs ever. It's probably got the best dialog I've seen in a game; it really shows that they got a real author in to do it. I can't understand why they don't do this for all games - Feist is a pretty average author, but still way ahead of some random programmer nerd, or whoever usually does the stories in games.

Mejilan

Raymond E Feist is a great author, IMHO. And yes, Betrayal of Krondor was amazing. Especially the CD version for its amazing music. Return to Krondor, on the other hand, sucked.

Man, those shots of Daggerfall really bring back memories. :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
snaildog said:
One of the best RPGs ever. It's probably got the best dialog I've seen in a game; it really shows that they got a real author in to do it. I can't understand why they don't do this for all games - Feist is a pretty average author, but still way ahead of some random programmer nerd, or whoever usually does the stories in games.

It had great dialog, a relatively vast world to explore with night and day cycles and enough detail to make you feel you did travel a few miles :).

i disagree with the comment about Feist being so average, Magician and Rage of a Demon King are decisively above average and in the realm of great books IMHO.

I agree about the one of the best RPG's ever though (quite nice battle system too and who could nto love unlocking chests by solving riddles ;) ?) :D.

Top Bottom