• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Newbie said:
What? So i'm a Vampire forever!
Better load an old save then

Your not a Vampire forever, you just ahve to go through a long winded quest that pulls you away from what you were previously doing. If you don't want to deal with not being able to go to markets until you feed (on humans) or not being able to out during the day, then I would reload.

Ha ha ha, I just wacked Umbra! She actually went down fairly quickly, thanks to the enchanted sword I was using. Now I have to decide between completing the main quest or the Fighters Guild.

Gattsu25

Banned
DJ Brannon said:
I got the BTMod and the Color Map mod; how do I get the Color Map mod to activate?
Download this:

http://timeslip.chorrol.com/obmm.html

img3.jpg

Mashing

Bah, I'm having this annoying sound issue after updating my sound drivers to the latest ones off creative websites. Periodically all sound will switch to a lower volume and either a few seconds or few minutes later it returns to normal sound levels. Abosolutely annoying when you're talking to a character and the sound level changes. I hope I can get this problem resolved.

BlueTsunami

Mashing said:
Bah, I'm having this annoying sound issue after updating my sound drivers to the latest ones off creative websites. Periodically all sound will switch to a lower volume and either a few seconds or few minutes later it returns to normal sound levels. Abosolutely annoying when you're talking to a character and the sound level changes. I hope I can get this problem resolved.

Creative is the devil...the DEVIL

*hugs his Turtle Beach Montego DDL

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So I've got some wicked powerful destruction spells that last 5 seconds, and I've just beaten the Arena quest, and that fan is following me around.

I ended up breaking the law, and paying the fine in the Imperial city. As I regained control, sure enough, the fan was there. So I used a "Lightning Bolt!11" as I called it on him and have to pay a small fine. After I regain control I notice his health is still down, and so I do it again. I pay the small fine. But it's damage per time. Immediately as I regain control the third time, I hear a "ughh!!....", and then the guards run after me and demand 1000 gold for murder.

Brannon

Cool beans, BTMod + Color Map + Natural Weather/Water + Short Grass (ESPECIALLY SHORT GRASS FOR GREAT PERFORMANCE) have me kicking ass.

Azrael

I think I may have hit a bug in the Spirits Have Lease quest =(. When I talk to the previous owner in the Imperial City and and bring up the Lift the Curse topic, he says he can't help me. All the topics are grayed out, and his disposition is maxed at 100. All the guides say that he will agree to help when I talk to him in the tavern. What's the problem here?

LakeEarth

Azrael said:
I think I may have hit a bug in the Spirits Have Lease quest =(. When I talk to the previous owner in the Imperial City and and bring up the Lift the Curse topic, he says he can't help me. All the topics are grayed out, and his disposition is maxed at 100. All the guides say that he will agree to help when I talk to him in the tavern. What's the problem here?
You didn't do the quest fully.

You just read the diary. You have to physically pick up and take the book to the previous owner.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I slept on a bed in a bandit camp and I got bitten by a vampire, so... random.
Didn't think they'd acually roam the countryside. :lol

GhaleonEB

Six hours in, Level 2. I'm ignoring the main quest entirely and wandering randomly. I just finished clearing out my fourth ruin/cave for loot, and completed one quest - the "Brush With Death" one. Fun. Painted trolls took some getting used to, but I found backing up and hurling fireballs as fast as possible worked pretty good.

I'm a battle mage. Loving it. :D

What do soul gems do?

Speevy

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Six hours in, Level 2. I'm ignoring the main quest entirely and wandering randomly. I just finished clearing out my fourth ruin/cave for loot, and completed one quest - the "Brush With Death" one. Fun. Painted trolls took some getting used to, but I found backing up and hurling fireballs as fast as possible worked pretty good.

I'm a battle mage. Loving it. :D

What do soul gems do?

Soul gems enchant weapons and apparel with magical powers and recharge enchanted items. You have to capture creatures after casting the "soul trap" spell, and the soul gem has to be large enough (petty, lesser, greater, grand, etc.) to capture the soul. Grand is the biggest.

GhaleonEB

Speevy said:
Soul gems enchant weapons and apparel with magical powers and recharge enchanted items. You have to capture creatures after casting the "soul trap" spell, and the soul gem has to be large enough (petty, lesser, greater, grand, etc.) to capture the soul. Grand is the biggest.
Thanks. Gonna try my hand at mixing some spells next time. My list of "to do next time" is about 10 hours long. 0_o

Ecrofirt

What's the key to beating the Will-O-Wisps again? I'm doing a quest that reqquires me to take my partnet right through an area where at least one of them is, and it's slaughtering the both of us every time.

The only weapon I have that will attack it is a silver longsword, and it's doing shit.

Rhindle

I seem to have lost my horse (Shadowmere). Last time I saw her was riding out to close one of the Oblivion gates (Lleyawin, I believe). She ordinarily rematerializes after fast travelling, but now she's been AWOL for the entirety of the main quest. Any ideas on where to look?

Ecrofirt

firex said:
spells, spells, spells. They destroy will o the wisps.

What spells? Note that I'm a Warrior, so most of my magic isn't that high.
Here are my current magic levels:
Alteration - 7 (still haven't found whoever sells low-level alteration spells)
Conjuration - 9
Destruction - 20
Illusion - 25
Mysticism - 5
Restoration - 32

BlueTsunami

I use a Daedric Dagger to kill the Will-O-Wisps. I first sneak up to them and deal 6x Damage then I break from sneaking mode and start to wail on them with the dagger. I can usually kill them very quickly. Though, if you don't have a Daedric Dagger and your pretty low level, they CAN pose a problem.

I remember I ran into one while in a forest...it was to powerfull for me and I tried to run, if you've ever ran into one, you'll know that their fast as fuck. Remember, you need a Daedric Weapon, Silver Weapon or an Enchanted Weapon to cause damage to Spectral Creatures like the Will-O-Wisps (also Wraiths and others like them)

Also, i've been grinding levels like crazy :lol. I'm currently at Master Levels for Sneak and Heavy Armor. I'm at 75+ for Security, Blade, Armorer and Block (All major level skills). I haven't been paying attention to magic all that much..thats why my only magic major skill is Destruction and its sitting at 40. I'm currently at level 35 right now with almost full Daedric Gear some enchanted.

Ecrofirt

BlueTsunami said:
I use a Daedric Dagger to kill the Will-O-Wisps. I first sneak up to them and deal 6x Damage then I break from sneaking mode and start to wail on them with the dagger. I can usually kill them very quickly. Though, if you don't have a Daedric Dagger and your pretty low level, they CAN pose a problem.

I remember I ran into one while in a forest...it was to powerfull for me and I tried to run, if you've ever ran into one, you'll know that their fast as fuck. Remember, you need a Daedric Weapon, Silver Weapon or an Enchanted Weapon to cause damage to Spectral Creatures like the Will-O-Wisps (also Wraiths and others like them)

This is going to sound stupid, but daedric stuff is held by the enemies in the Oblivion gates, isn't it?

I haven't been in one in awhile, but there's one on the path before the Will-O-Wisp.

I'm only level 10 now, but as soon as I go to sleep I'll be level 11. Doubt it'll be enough to turn the tides in my favor.

BlueTsunami

Ecrofirt said:
This is going to sound stupid, but daedric stuff is held by the enemies in the Oblivion gates, isn't it?

I haven't been in one in awhile, but there's one on the path before the Will-O-Wisp.

I'm only level 10 now, but as soon as I go to sleep I'll be level 11. Doubt it'll be enough to turn the tides in my favor.

I don't think you'll find one in the Oblivion Realm. The monsters there usually have big ass weapons like Daedric Long Swords and whatnot. I found mine by going to random Caves and Forts. Bandits in these areas usually hold very usefull equipment.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ecrofirt said:

At level 11 you'll probably be better off picking up something Silver, the good Daedric stuff seems to come along at about level 20 (in my experience anyway).

I dont know who thought collecting 40 plants would be a good idea for a quest to get back into the mages guild, especially as wasnt given any indication of where the plants grow :-/, ive been touring the alchemist shops but i think ive cleared them for the time being. Does the guide say where Dragon Tounge and Redword Flower should grow?

pilonv1

Are there any good Destruction/Mysticism spells to level up quickly with? I've got self cast spells for the other schools and they're all in the 40s now (I'm level 16). Meanwhile my Destruction (35 and its a main skill) and Mysticism (7) are just too low since I haven't found something I can easily cast.

Ferrio

Banned
Mystism you can use detect life. Destruction..... uh don't know. My character is a mage with 3 schools o magic.... but not destruction heh.

Uncle

Ecrofirt said:
What spells?

Silence spells practically disarm them. I think hush is the easiest to cast. You can buy it from Bravil, IIRC. After that just start hitting them with silver or spamming destruction spells.

xabre

Banned
There are some real bastard enemies in this game, mountain lions and dread zombies are a couple of the worst I've come across.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wow, just grabbed some awesome arrows off an enemy for one of the daedric shrine quests, 60 points of fire damage :lol suddenly my marksman skill doesnt look so low, now the moral dilema of whether or not to use the item duplication exploit.

mxz

You will really need enchanted items in all the quests and dungeons, so it is a very good idea to train up your Mysticism up to at least 25 very early in the game - you will be able to buy and use the Soul Trap spell which uses Soul Gems to store souls in, which then can be used to recharge enchanted weapons. Just buy a Minor Life Detection spell and use it all the time, your mysticism skill will go up.

Ferrio

Banned
Life detection is probably my most used spell. Since I don't use any light spells ect, it's my only way of knowing which way to shoot in dungeons.

Finished up The Collector Questline over the weekend, and all I can say is wow! Very cool. Someone mentioned earlier that it was like and Indiana Jones movie, and that wasn't far from the truth. By the time I finished, I had my 25k home in Skingrad completely furnished, and I still have over 15k in cash, and I still have several of the ruins that I can raid for profit, and I have the key to house of the guy who gives you the quest! :lol I'm certainly going to be paying that place a visit when I find the time! :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ghost said:
Does the guide say where Dragon Tounge and Redword Flower should grow?
I just had to deal with that quests a couple of nights ago. I got so used to just about everything be "free" in the Mage's Guilds that I wasn't paying attention when something I went to grab showed a red hand.

Anyway, I found them both in the wilds east of Bravil and Lewayin (sp?). You'll have to range around out there but there's definitely 20 of each to be had. Look near the ruins/forts out there. If you've located "Mahane" (I believe that's the name), it has a concentration of the Redwort Flower, for example.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I fucked up & bought this Friday. Crack indeed.

I think i've clocked close to 10 hours just messin around in a dungeon and a town. Killed a couple of people in the arena, scoped out the market place, played around with persuasion, etc. I can see myself gettin totally lossed in this behemoth of a game :lol

PhatSaqs said:
I fucked up & bought this Friday. Crack indeed.

I think i've clocked close to 10 hours just messin around in a dungeon and a town. Killed a couple of people in the arena, scoped out the market place, played around with persuasion, etc. I can see myself gettin totally lossed in this behemoth of a game :lol

Welcome to the club. We're thinking of starting a support group. "Hi, My name is Kung Fu Jedi, and I'm...an Oblivion Addict."

Karg

Rhindle said:
I seem to have lost my horse (Shadowmere). Last time I saw her was riding out to close one of the Oblivion gates (Lleyawin, I believe). She ordinarily rematerializes after fast travelling, but now she's been AWOL for the entirety of the main quest. Any ideas on where to look?

I've had this happen to me as well. I was at a shrine, my horse went and attacked something and got knocked out (Shadowmere) just as I killed the creature. When my horse got back up, I never got back on the horse. The next time I fast traveled, he didn't come with me. I had to go back to the shrine, get on the horse and then fast travel. Some weird ownership thing. Only thing I can tell you is to go back to where you lef the horse or try Fort Farragut (where you first got that horse).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah if you can't find your horse, try going back to where you first got him. Shadowmere's at Fort Farragut near Cheydinhal for example. If you own multiple horses and switch, the one you previously rode will travel back to his home stable.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Question:

Last night I was in Chorrol and I saw one of the Mythic Dawn members reveal themselves in broad daylight for basically a suicide attack. Guards took him out in short order. When they were done, I looted his corpse and found the key to his house.

Is this a valid way to "own" a house in the game? If I leave stuff at this house, will it stay?

kaching said:
Question:

Last night I was in Chorrol and I saw one of the Mythic Dawn members reveal themselves in broad daylight for basically a suicide attack. Guards took him out in short order. When they were done, I looted his corpse and found the key to his house.

Is this a valid way to "own" a house in the game? If I leave stuff at this house, will it stay?

No I don't think it is. When you kill aragmir (I think thats his name) for the "Merchant's Guild" quest, he drops the key to his house, but you are still considered tresspassing when you go in it, even with the key.

Crow

I became Arch-mage. I thought it was a legitimate way of owning the arch-mage quarters so I stored heaps of shit in it. It got robbed of some pretty valuable items. :(

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Crow said:
I became Arch-mage. I thought it was a legitimate way of owning the arch-mage quarters so I stored heaps of shit in it. It got robbed of some pretty valuable items. :(

Hm, I've put tons of stuff in there and it never disappeared.

Karg

Crow said:

I found this out as well yesterday. Even lost the Arch-Mage robes, among a lot of greate stuff, I was storing up in there. Bought a house in Cheydin. shortly after. Oh well.

I had most of my stuff in that dresser at the end of the bed and about a week of gametime later it was all gone.

winalot

I'm after some opinions on my Xbox 360 hardware problem if some of you would be so kind. It's kind of Oblivion related, in that, only Oblivion has the issue (that I've discovered so far).

As of yesterday evening loading screens take an absolute age, usually more than a minute even if it's just going into a house or guild hall. Walking out in the open is hell with it stuttering, even without 'Loading area...' messages, this in turn causes audio to go out of sync. Menus and the journal also become increasingly unresponsive.

I've done the clear HDD cache button hold but it's still the same, however, PGR3 and Tomb Raider Legend have no such issues. Also my Oblivion disc is as sparkly clean as the day it was born, not a mark and it does the same on bot mine and my girlfriend's saves.

I'm thinking that it's the HDD. Am I right in saying that Oblivion uses the 360 hard drive much more than any other game (or at least the two others I mentioned), therefore a HDD fault would cause these problems?

Any help would be great, I'm suffering from withdrawal already :lol

Mashing

I just finished up the quest to recover the
Madstone Amulet
. Absolutely awesome quest. I'm level 30+ so I was dealing with Ogres and high level skeletons. Really taxed my equipment (my bow broke and I had to actually recharge my dagger--I'm a sneaky type so I usually take down mobs in quick order with sneak attacks).

Btw, the master sneak perk sucks. As far as I can tell it makes no difference on damage done. I think I'm going to have to mod that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
IMO.

It would be really nice in either the next ES game or even a special edition rerelease of Oblivion to allow a players different characters to co-exist in the same game instance in order to swap stuff. Maybe you could park char. 1 at a house you own and then you could visit char. 1 with char. 2 and open up a trade window.

or just somehow link char.1 game save to char. 2 game save, so that char. 2 will encounter char. 1 wherever you last left them in the game.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Main Quest spoiler

I just exited the great gate and upon returning
to the battlefield I realize jauffre had died.
While it appears obvious that the story can go on without him will I miss anything cool by not having the old geezer around? I got a daedric bow within the great gate which I added a sigal stone with soul trap too; I have wanted a bow like this for my assassin for a while now so I am not sure if I want to redo the section to save him.

I dig the idea of an assassin with a soul stealing bow!

Mashing

kaching said:
IMO.

It would be really nice in either the next ES game or even a special edition rerelease of Oblivion to allow a players different characters to co-exist in the same game instance in order to swap stuff. Maybe you could park char. 1 at a house you own and then you could visit char. 1 with char. 2 and open up a trade window.

or just somehow link char.1 game save to char. 2 game save, so that char. 2 will encounter char. 1 wherever you last left them in the game.

Oh god no. Why do you want to twink your character?

Top Bottom