• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mashing said:
Oh god no. Why do you want to twink your character?
2nd character - 1st character remains an 'untainted' character and it's _just an option_ for all subsequent characters. Because after putting what'll probably be 60-80 hours into the game with the 1st character, I wouldn't mind making the road a little easier for the second character that I've been thinking of starting.

It's just a single-player game, why should it matter?

Seth C

kaching said:
IMO.

It would be really nice in either the next ES game or even a special edition rerelease of Oblivion to allow a players different characters to co-exist in the same game instance in order to swap stuff. Maybe you could park char. 1 at a house you own and then you could visit char. 1 with char. 2 and open up a trade window.

or just somehow link char.1 game save to char. 2 game save, so that char. 2 will encounter char. 1 wherever you last left them in the game.

I think they should just go on and make the game multiplayer. Not an MMO by any means, but I wish they would make it co-op or support local LAN play for 2-4 people.

Seth C said:
I think they should just go on and make the game multiplayer. Not an MMO by any means, but I wish they would make it co-op or support local LAN play for 2-4 people.

Yeah, I'd love to have Oblivion with the option to have 2 to 4 player coop over Live. That would be amazing, but balancing it all out would be a bitch. Plus, most online games force you to play a character that specializes in certain areas, and lacks skills in other areas. I the ES games, it is possible for your character to become proficient in all areas, it just takes a long time, and lots of patience.

Seth C said:

Give me some damn Orrery impressions!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
It would get released now, on a Monday, right after I had a 4 day weekend full of Oblivion goodness! Argh! (I checked like 4 times each day, hoping to see it).

Oh well, can't wait to get home and try it out!

GreekWolf

In case anyone was wondering... the Orrery rocks! A quest involving
mysterious dwemer artifacts? Swank!

This is exactly the kind of downloadable content that I was hoping for.

Crow

I've been wondering now for a while. When you get robbed. Does the items that are taken disappear from the game all together, or can you find it in someones house or on the black market?

Crow said:
I've been wondering now for a while. When you get robbed. Does the items that are taken disappear from the game all together, or can you find it in someones house or on the black market?

You don't ever get robbed. Stuff left laying around will just disappear after awhile. Removed from the world I believe. Although, there has been a pair of pants laying on the floor inside the Slash 'n Smash for weeks now! :lol

Mashing

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You don't ever get robbed. Stuff left laying around will just disappear after awhile. Removed from the world I believe. Although, there has been a pair of pants laying on the floor inside the Slash 'n Smash for weeks now! :lol

That's nothing, I dropped a potion of fatigue in the first inn I s tayed out (Merchants Inn) and 100 REALTIME hours later: IT'S STILL THERE

Mashing said:
That's nothing, I dropped a potion of fatigue in the first inn I s tayed out (Merchants Inn) and 100 REALTIME hours later: IT'S STILL THERE

Yeah, but you know where that potion came from! Those pants certainly aren't mine! :lol They just sort of appeared there on one of my stops to sell and repair, and they've been there ever since. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a guy walking around Imperial City without his trousers. I figure the "Sans Pants" quest has to be in there somewhere! :lol

3rdman

LOL You just reminded me of the dead priest that is still on the floor at Weynan Priory. I've been playing over 100 hours...you'd think they would've buried the guy or something by now. :lol

Seth C

mmlemay said:
Give me some damn Orrery impressions!

Fun quest, but short. It has you searching the countryside near Kvath, fighting bandits to
recover stolen dwarven cogs and things, to repair the orrery. Once repaired, you can visit it during each phase of the moon and gain a special "greater power" for each phase.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Kinda disapointed with the Orrey quest, it was all too easy, the bandits were pushovers...its sure is pretty when its all glowing thou.

LakeEarth

Which Daedric artifact is the most useless? Cause I just got the Star, and if it is what I think it is
reuseable soul stone!
, I do not want to give it away.

LakeEarth said:
Which Daedric artifact is the most useless? Cause I just got the Star, and if it is what I think it is
reuseable soul stone!
, I do not want to give it away.

I did one quest where I got enchanted Light Armor. Keep the Star and the Pick, by all means.

Two options with mediocre loot:

Hircine:

Swim across Lake Rumare from the Waterfront District of Imperial City, and make your way east on the Red Ring Road to the ruin of Sardavar Leed. Once there, head up the hill south-southeast to the shrine. You will need to be Level 17 and make an offering of a bear or wolf pelt. The reward for this is armor called the Savior?s Hide. It is light armor with strong Resist Magic to it.

Meridia:

The shrine is located west of the city of Skingrad. You will need to be Level 10 and bring an offering of either Bonemeal or Ecoplasm. The reward for this quest is the Ring of Khajiiti and has Chameleon and Fortify Speed attachments.

GhaleonEB said:
Never have I wanted to leave work so badly to go home and play a videogame. Oblivion on the brain....

You need to join our Oblivion Support Group as well. :) I don't think I've had a game on the brain as much as this one in years.

Speevy

Banned
The Orrery is pretty cool. I received some neat enchanted armor from the bandits, and the device itself is a sight to behold. I definitely got my $1.50 worth.

Meier

Is luck worth bothering with unless youre a thief? I don't really see much of a difference with this +10 luck necklace on and I just got a +8 Speed one. Any suggestions?

Speevy

Banned
I think Luck is just one of those thrown in attributes from Morrowind. It doesn't really have a lot of meaning in this game. With that said, my speed is pretty much maxed, so I don't need to boost it anymore.

Just got the PC version and I'm so psyched that I can run it decently. I thought I'd have to turn it down to Morrowind levels with my 6600 and 512mb but all I have to sacrifice is a little resolution and some effects to get a playable framerate. Mod time baby!

I would go for the speed buff as opposed to the luck one. Like Speevy said, luck seems to be pretty arbitrary, and I've found lots of excellent loot without boosting my luck. Speed on the other hand can really be helpful especially as a thief. My character moves so fast I don't really have to bother with using a shield anymore.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Jugendstil said:
I would go for the speed buff as opposed to the luck one. Like Speevy said, luck seems to be pretty arbitrary, and I've found lots of excellent loot without boosting my luck. Speed on the other hand can really be helpful especially as a thief. My character moves so fast I don't really have to bother with using a shield anymore.

Most of what luck does is modify your skill level. High luck is effectively the same as operating at a higher skill level, while low luck is similar to operating at a lower skill level.

RegularMK

Just a few minutes ago Oblivion scared the crap out of me.

I was deep-lake diving for Slaughterfish, completely alone. Not a person in sight. Its dark in my room, and I'm deeply involved in the game.

The battle music begins, i turn every which way, looking for the slaughterfish that is surely coming my way. I see nothing for a bit, but then out of nowhere, my adoring fan comes swimming through the blanket of water-fog, looking like a crazed zombie. Hair flaming bright under the water.

I actually jumped. I forgot I had closed the gate on him in the arcane university a while back. I guess he jumped it!

Oh, and then the damn slaughterfish started biting my ass.

Rhindle

Karg said:
I've had this happen to me as well. I was at a shrine, my horse went and attacked something and got knocked out (Shadowmere) just as I killed the creature. When my horse got back up, I never got back on the horse. The next time I fast traveled, he didn't come with me. I had to go back to the shrine, get on the horse and then fast travel. Some weird ownership thing. Only thing I can tell you is to go back to where you lef the horse or try Fort Farragut (where you first got that horse).
SteveMeister said:
Yeah if you can't find your horse, try going back to where you first got him. Shadowmere's at Fort Farragut near Cheydinhal for example. If you own multiple horses and switch, the one you previously rode will travel back to his home stable.
Thanks!

That worked -- the horse turned up at the Fort where I first got it.

Spencerr

Banned
Speevy said:
On thing I wish you could do is leave the adoring fan in a trespassing position so he gets arrested.

Murder the fool.

I'm getting into the main quest finally, I'm
rallying allies for Bruma, I have all the pieces to open the gate to paradise or whatever except the giant sigil stone. I'm very sad I have lost Azura's Star forever.

I have a problem with the "Blood of the Daedra" quest

In order to progress in the main quest you have to
collect one daedric artifact and give it to Martin. Before taking this quest I already had the skeleton key got from one of the shrines many hours ago. I don't want Martin to have this item! Therefore I chose another shrine to go to. The quest of Peryite was already on my journal, so I decided to take this one.

It was a complete pain in the ass, but I managed to get the reward. Back to Martin, I only can choose between the skeleton key and nothing. No way to select the shield I got from Peryite. Does the game only allow you to use the first effing item you retrieve? I thought that I had a choice.

Any advice?

Ecrofirt

Took a different path toward the area I was supposed to go to, and didn't encounter any Will-O-Wisps. While in the ruin I found a Dwarven Battle Axe that did 10 flame damage. Went down to the Will-O-Wisp and whooped its ass with that bad boy.

raYne

Spencerr said:
Murder the fool.
Impossible, since he comes back to life. We've (my bro and I) drowned him and left his body at the bottom of a well, had guards kill him, left him in the middle of nowhere fighting bears, watched him sink to the bottom of lava pools etc.

Fortunately, on my file he seems preoccupied with some woman in Bruma. I thought I finally got fit of him and was wondering around the town when I spotted him in some woman's house. Luckily he was facing away from me at the time so I just left him there and he hasn't come out since. I'm sure if he saw me we'd have to go through the whole process again, so I just stay clear of that house completely.

No clue where he is on my brother's file...

As for my reasoning for him being there:
I left him to fight some guards after I was caught robbing a house... so I gather she nursed him back to health and he fell for her. :lol

johnjohnson said:
I have a problem with the "Blood of the Daedra" quest:
To be honest, I think you have to give it (the key) to him since it was the first thing you found. Your security skills should be high enough that you'll be able to get along fine without it though. If you made any use of it when you had it to begin with.

I haven't broken a lockpick since I reached level 65 (was maybe 80-something when I gave him the skeleton key so I reverted to 64 or so). I'm currently at 100 (probably over if I checked the specific stats), so I'd have to TRY to break a lockpick now... :lol

ghostmind

I had killed off adoring fan in the Imperial City... 10 hours (realtime) pass and I haven't seen him anywhere, and I've been all over Cyrodiil. I'm walking through Vilverin, turn a corner, and BAM - the little bastard is standing there looking like nothing happened... scared me more than any monsters I've encountered. Told him to stay down there... hopefully he does.

Uncle

raYne said:
To be honest, I think you have to give it (the key) to him since it was the first thing you found.

No you don't. I got the skeleton key first but gave him some warhammer I had no use for instead.

raYne said:
To be honest, I think you have to give it (the key) to him since it was the first thing you found. Your security skills should be high enough that you'll be able to get along fine without it though. If you made any use of it when you had it to begin with.

No, you actualy do not have to give him the key. When I got to this point, I had about 6 daedric artifacts and I could choose from any one of them. I gave him some light armor and kept my star and key :)

raYne

Even if you already spoke to him with only the key in your posession? Weird.. could've sworn he didn't give me an option afterwards..

Oh well, that settles that. :lol

Pellham

Banned
ghostmind said:
I had killed off adoring fan in the Imperial City... 10 hours (realtime) pass and I haven't seen him anywhere, and I've been all over Cyrodiil. I'm walking through Vilverin, turn a corner, and BAM - the little bastard is standing there looking like nothing happened... scared me more than any monsters I've encountered. Told him to stay down there... hopefully he does.

so he respawns or something?

raYne said:
Even if you already spoke to him with only the key in your posession? Weird.. could've sworn he didn't give me an option afterwards..

Oh well, that settles that. :lol

Yes, because I did that, and I was like NOOOOOOO, I'm coming back LATER!

Top Bottom