• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Speevy

Banned
Two suggestions for future Elder Scrolls games:

A "join" option for all NPCs, which lets you take characters of a certain disposition on your journey. Of course, important ones could be immortal or disappear back to their rightful locations.

B The ability to give trusted NPCs any armor or weapons. This works hand-in-hand with the first one.

RegularMK

I killed the adoring fan after he scared me in the lake. Couple days later, he's standing next to my bed as I wake up.

Burger King unmasked?

Pellham

Banned
Speevy said:

A "join" option for all NPCs, which lets you take characters of a certain disposition on your journey. Of course, important ones could be immortal or disappear back to their rightful locations.

B The ability to give trusted NPCs any armor or weapons. This works hand-in-hand with the first one.

Join would be super cool. It would move elder scrolls closer to being like the classic Ultima games. :)

I think you can mod these features in though.

raYne

Speevy said:

I'm pretty indifferent to this idea... it sounds both "cool" and "eh" simultaneously... Plus I fighting alongside the current AI isn't that interesting (ie they're dumb, so it isn't fun), so unless it's mainly for comic relief I don't think I'd use the option if it were given.

Pellham said:
I think you can mod these features in though.
That wouldn't be too difficult since currently,
if you've completed the Dark Brotherhood quest, you can have any of the new members follow you around and fight along side you.

RegularMK

How cool would it be if there were a Telekenesis spell that required a skill level of 100 in mysticism that actually let you throw a live creature/person around?

I bet a mod could do that.

Sysgen

Speevy said:

You can already do the 1st one, albeit only quest npc's and their disposition does not matter.

B would be cool and like you pointed out their disposition towards you would play a part in how cooperative they are. There is an Xbox game on the tip of my tongue that I remember giving npc's weapons. Anyone help me out here?

xabre

Banned
A good idea (I think anyway) for future ES games would be to make blacksmithing a profession. It could be similar to alchemy where you could find raw materials and with the right equipment create weapons and armour of varying qualities.

Ecrofirt

OK, really weird problem.

I enchanted one of my weapons, a Dwarven Warhammer with a stone I got in the Kvatch gate. It has the following properties: -15 Fatigue on strike +10 Fatigue on self (as I recall)

Now it seems that for whatever reason I'm attacking slow as all fuck with all my weapons. I checked my active effects and I don't have any diseases or anything, so it's weird.

I can't do more than one swing at a time, and I'm moving really really slow.

Anyone have any clue what could be gonig on?

Gattsu25

Banned
Ecrofirt said:
OK, really weird problem.

I enchanted one of my weapons, a Dwarven Warhammer with a stone I got in the Kvatch gate. It has the following properties: -15 Fatigue on strike +10 Fatigue on self (as I recall)

Now it seems that for whatever reason I'm attacking slow as all fuck with all my weapons. I checked my active effects and I don't have any diseases or anything, so it's weird.

I can't do more than one swing at a time, and I'm moving really really slow.

Anyone have any clue what could be gonig on?
Ecrofirt said:
Dwarven Warhammer
No clue

Mashing

RegularMK said:
How cool would it be if there were a Telekenesis spell that required a skill level of 100 in mysticism that actually let you throw a live creature/person around?

I bet a mod could do that.

Speaking of telekenesis. I can't find any uses for it. What exactly is it good for? Can it act like a knock back in combat (especially the area affect version)?

Ferrio

Banned
Mashing said:
Speaking of telekenesis. I can't find any uses for it. What exactly is it good for? Can it act like a knock back in combat (especially the area affect version)?

Grabbing shit that's too far away. OR holding onto crap that's too heavy. Even with my best feather spell, I can't hold some things. One point I had to carry back this guy's magical 2h mace with the spell.

They need to revamp telekenesis for the next Elder Scrolls game. Throwing people and objects around ala Psi Ops would be bad ass and would actually make the skill desirable. As it stands right now, telekenesis is pretty useless.

And for the love of god, bring back levitation. I really miss it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Does total Armor value cap at 85? I enchanted a Daedric Shield with Fire Shield 25% which effectively gives the shield itself an automatic armor value of 60 (when I equipt it). My total Armor Value doen't go above 85 though, I thought that was peculiar.

I think a neat idea would be to incorporate a character you've created into the game when you create another new game. Like, say you've become the Champion of the Arena. When you "finish" (haha) the game with that character, and create a new one, your old character would remain the Champion of the Arena, and you'd have to face him/her as the final "boss" in that quest. Or, your old character could be incorporated into the game in other ways as an NPC who gives you helpful advice, or sends your new character on special quests that are only activated in-game by him/her.

firex

Sysgen said:
You can already do the 1st one, albeit only quest npc's and their disposition does not matter.

B would be cool and like you pointed out their disposition towards you would play a part in how cooperative they are. There is an Xbox game on the tip of my tongue that I remember giving npc's weapons. Anyone help me out here?
Halo 2's already been said, but also, The Thing? I think you could give weapons to NPCs in that game.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Eel O'Brian said:
I think a neat idea would be to incorporate a character you've created into the game when you create another new game. Like, say you've become the Champion of the Arena. When you "finish" (haha) the game with that character, and create a new one, your old character would remain the Champion of the Arena, and you'd have to face him/her as the final "boss" in that quest. Or, your old character could be incorporated into the game in other ways as an NPC who gives you helpful advice, or sends your new character on special quests that are only activated in-game by him/her.

That's actually a pretty good idea and would be cool if someone actually implemented it into there game.

BlueTsunami

I'm going to try my hand at modding :D

I want to creat alternative color schemes for armor thats already in the game. Something along the lines of Blue Glass Armor or Blue Daedric Armor.

I have to give it to mod makers though, it seems like a pain in the ass (with Oblivion) to make mods for it. I'm currently unpacking a .bsa file with all the textures used in Oblvion. I then work with the textures in Photoshop and whatnot...should be fun

Monk

Banned
My only complaint about the game. The hardest difficulty impossible after the sewers. Where should i go after that to level? I lost interest trying to fight the guy and his guard in the desecrated tomb. >_<

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Sysgen said:

Morrowind

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
Um, no? I'm talking about handing your friend a glass longsword, so he has a glass longsword. Unmodded.

Yes you could, unmodded.

In the tribunal expansion pack you could hire a mercenary, you could give them equipment which they would use and also use them as a pack mule.

Speevy

Banned
Do The Mario said:
Yes you could, unmodded.

In the tribunal expansion pack you could hire a mercenary, you could give them equipment which they would use and also use them as a pack mule.

Well that explains it. The thing ran HORRIBLY on my Thompson Xbox. I mean, this was bad by Morrowind standards. So I never experienced that.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
Well that explains it. The thing ran HORRIBLY on my Thompson Xbox. I mean, this was bad by Morrowind standards. So I never experienced that.

The only problem was my merc kept dying so it was kind of pointless, it would work well in oblivion.

Speevy

Banned
They'd have to have a pretty good level too. Being attacked by minotaurs or ogres is not something most regular NPCs can take.

firex

BlueTsunami said:
I want to creat alternative color schemes for armor thats already in the game. Something along the lines of Blue Glass Armor or Blue Daedric Armor.

There's a blue daedric mod out? Or did you just mean in general? Because there's a host of colored glass armor mods. It seems really simple to change the colors for glass, but not so much for the other types.

BlueTsunami

firex said:
There's a blue daedric mod out? Or did you just mean in general? Because there's a host of colored glass armor mods. It seems really simple to change the colors for glass, but not so much for the other types.

I meant in general or I would like to create one myself. I also did find a Blue Glass Color mod (going to install it later :D)

I unpacked the .bsa files that stores the textures and meshes for Oblivion. I already tried manipulating the Glass Cuirass and your right it is simple. I then opened the Daedric Cuirass (this is in Photoshop CS btw) and holy shit did they do some crazy (good) texture work. Though, the Daedric armor would be hard to change (color scheme) since theres so much going on in the texture (the red splatter, griddy look and metalic parts).

I'm still going to try it out, but It probably won't look the same.

raYne said:
Even if you already spoke to him with only the key in your posession? Weird.. could've sworn he didn't give me an option afterwards..

Oh well, that settles that. :lol

So you think that spoiled the quest for me? I only received the quest from Martin, without touching the "daedran artifact" topic, so I thought that would be enough. Well then, I'll start over with a save file before that event.

xabre said:
Am I alone in hoping someone will mod a version of Morrowind with this engine?

I'd pay full price for Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind using the Oblivion engine. Full price for every one of them! DO YOU HEAR ME BETHESDA? FULL FUCKING PRICE!

Ferrio

Banned
Least my character is finally becoming strong. Since I was a mage...with no destruction spells and only my bow I wasn't doing much damage.

Now I"m sneaking around, getting the first shot off with some really nasty poison and a health draining bow. By the time the monster gets within striking distance the health drain and various poisons and initial sneak damage pretty much killed it.

BlueTsunami

Wow, the mods are really rolling in. Theres one mod that adds color to the map. Theres also another one that adds a bunch of different eye colors and whatnot. Theres one that even allows you to play as a Dremora (its opens up the Dremora as a playable race).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
arrows of immolation = god mode, everything goes down (in a magnificent fiery explosion) within 3 hits MWHAHAHAHA, just cleared an oblivion gate in about 5 minutes.

Its even better when i charge up my bow for an extra 20 points of fiery death and sneak up on the bastards for a bonus on the arrows damage, Bandits are going down in one shot to the back :lol

And the corpses kinda explode upwards when they die too, I left a mountain lion balanced on his face a minute ago, hilarious stuff.

Totally worth selling my soul to the item duplication bug devil.

BTW thanks to whoever it was who told me to look around Leyawin for the mages guild punishment quest, didnt quite find everything i need but i found enough so i just have to go back in a few days and gather them again to finish.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
johnjohnson said:
I'd pay full price for Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind using the Oblivion engine. Full price for every one of them! DO YOU HEAR ME BETHESDA? FULL FUCKING PRICE!

The quest’s, Voices and NPC’s will all need so much work, part of the reason that oblivion is so much better then morrowind is that the quests are much more interesting. Previous elder scroll games with a new engine are still going to be dated.

Let the classics rest, I look forward to future add-on’s and future titles.

But Arena on DS would be hot

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Soul Gem and Soul Trap Question:

If a soul gem already has a soul in it, can a larger soul replace the soul if the gem can handle bigger? If not, can two Petty souls be added to a single lesser gem to make it hold a lesser soul?

Dr_Cogent said:
Soul Gem and Soul Trap Question:

If a soul gem already has a soul in it, can a larger soul replace the soul if the gem can handle bigger? If not, can two Petty souls be added to a single lesser gem to make it hold a lesser soul?

I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure that once a soul is captured, you can't do anything else with that gem except use it for enchanting. Also, I don't think you can combine gems in any fashion at all. Once used to capture a soul, I believe they are done.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure that once a soul is captured, you can't do anything else with that gem except use it for enchanting.

or use it to recharge an enchanted weapon or staff.

Also, I don't think you can combine gems in any fashion at all. Once used to capture a soul, I believe they are done.

Correct.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure that once a soul is captured, you can't do anything else with that gem except use it for enchanting. Also, I don't think you can combine gems in any fashion at all. Once used to capture a soul, I believe they are done.

Fark. OK, well - at least I know for sure now.

You know what would be great for the 360 version? A way to quick scroll up and down in the inventory. I have so many freakin potions it takes quite a bit of time to scroll down. That would rock.

I did just learn within the past week that you can use the bumpers when selling/buying or dropping something. The left bumper will set the number of the items to 1. It came in handy when I had over 300 Restore Fatigue potions to sell and the vendor would only spend 800 gold at a time.

I have yet to play another game on the 360 as well. This game has me hooked.

Xdrive05

Did anyone do the 'Corrupt Imperial Watchman' quest? I can't get a second person to
testify against him.

I have their disposition maxed, and I even cast spells on them to raise their disposition, but they still won't do it. When I ask them they're just lik e"What? Are you crazy?" etc.

However, I got Jensine to do it but I still need one of the other guys. Does anyone know how to get them to do it? Thanks.

LakeEarth

Xdrive05 said:
Did anyone do the 'Corrupt Imperial Watchman' quest? I can't get a second person to
testify against him.

I have their disposition maxed, and I even cast spells on them to raise their disposition, but they still won't do it. When I ask them they're just lik e"What? Are you crazy?" etc.

However, I got Jensine to do it but I still need one of the other guys. Does anyone know how to get them to do it? Thanks.
How do you get that quest to work? Its always pointing me to the same shopkeeper, but she won't admit that anything is wrong. How do you get her to keep the quest going?

Xdrive05

LakeEarth said:
How do you get that quest to work? Its always pointing me to the same shopkeeper, but she won't admit that anything is wrong. How do you get her to keep the quest going?

Well you're probably talking about Jensine.
You have to talk to the head guard person first (in the fancy armor). Then he will instruct you to get at least two witnesses to testify against the bad guard. At that point you should have, I think, three waypoints on your map pointing you to three different people in the city for you to try tand coerce to testify. Jensine the shop keeper was all for it, with a little disposition boost. But the other two aren't doing jack. That's where I'm stuck.

Top Bottom