• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Ruas

Banned
Nerevar said:
my rig is virtually identical (athlon 64 3200 running win xp x64 edition, 1gb pc2700 DDR ram, x800 pro) and I run it at the "default" settings (absolutely no tweaks .. yet) at 1280x1024 at a very good framerate. It looks virtually indistuingishable from the xbox360 version in terms of grass and all the other stuff (actually, with the mods I have applied like a shorter grass, BTMod, and color map I'd say it looks a lot better). I think your PC will definitely be able to handle it.

cool, cant wait to play it.

GhaleonEB

I'm having issues with loading as well, on the 360 version. I hold 'A' on every boot-up to clear the cache (did someone at Bethesda confirm that works?). Nothing huge, but it just seems like the LOD is getting worse and worse, it stops to load when I toggle tabs in the menu, the indoor/outdoor transitions are taking a long time (4-5 messages fly by).

Is this normal? My HDD is loud as hell and I'm getting worried.

LakeEarth

I know I posted this 8 posts ago, but what am I gonna do?

Have you tried deleting some of your saves, or maybe emptying out your pockets a bit in the game (so you don't have hundreds of keys and potions)? That helped me out when the game started to slow down.

Sysgen

GhaleonEB said:
I'm having issues with loading as well, on the 360 version. I hold 'A' on every boot-up to clear the cache (did someone at Bethesda confirm that works?). Nothing huge, but it just seems like the LOD is getting worse and worse, it stops to load when I toggle tabs in the menu, the indoor/outdoor transitions are taking a long time (4-5 messages fly by).

Is this normal? My HDD is loud as hell and I'm getting worried.

Don't be worried. I get this also, clear my cache and then things slow down a bit becuase they're being re-cached (disk writes) and then everything looks OK again. Hopefully this will be addressed in the upcoming patch. Morrowwind had all kinds of problems that couldn't be fixed until the GOTY edition. Thank god for Live enabled games.

GhaleonEB

Sysgen said:
Don't be worried. I get this also, clear my cache and then things slow down a bit becuase they're being re-cached (disk writes) and then everything looks OK again. Hopefully this will be addressed in the upcoming patch. Morrowwind had all kinds of problems that couldn't be fixed until the GOTY edition. Thank god for Live enabled games.
Thanks.

On a different note: I'm finding it very hard to have a short play session of this game. It's seriously dangerous! I'm sitting down for a 30 minute session, and spending an hour and a half without even leaving town to do what I inteded to do originally. 0_o

At this rate I'm going to buy my next game this fall.

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks.

On a different note: I'm finding it very hard to have a short play session of this game. It's seriously dangerous! I'm sitting down for a 30 minute session, and spending an hour and a half without even leaving town to do what I inteded to do originally. 0_o

At this rate I'm going to buy my next game this fall.

I'm with you. I don't even attempt to play unless I have at least an hours worth of free time. And that hour can easily turn into two or three before I know it. I haven't touched another game since Oblivion came out, except for the odd demo here and there.

Maya

I just have to say this is one of the best looking, most enthralling games I have ever played.

After I became
the Listener for the Dark Brotherhood, I must admit I can't bring myself to do lowly "fetch me" whatever quests. I'm just too important now. (At least the game and certain NPC's make me feel that way! How cool is that?!)

Now it seems like a perfect time to pick up the main quest... enter Oblivion and close the gates. It's almost like they needed to hire an assassin... no, the assassin... to kill off the demon lords and save the world.

After I finish that, I want to start over and create an Illusionist... and maybe take over the mage guild. Or make a holy paladin focusing more on healing and blocking! What an epic game.

Or I could just sit and rake a bench.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
bishoptl said:
Need some links for LOD and Texture upgrades - any ideas?

This thread is farking huge. o_O

If you have a vid card with 256mb of vid RAM, you'll be able to run these 4 re-texture packs SWIMMINGLY, with pretty much no performance hit.

Jarrod's Texture Replacement Mod (he did amazing things in Morrowind too)
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Jarrod's_Texture_Mod

Landscape LOD Texture Replacement Mod (Central Regions)
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Landscape_LOD_Texture_Replacement

Landscape LOD Texture Replacement Mod (Border Regions)
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Landscape_LOD_Texture_Replacement_(Border_Regions)

Landscape LOD NormalMap Fix Mod
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Landscape_LOD_NormalMap_Fix

Between these 4, you'll have retextured and/or fixed a large portion of both the close-up and distant texture maps.

Also, though I haven't tried it yet, Timeslip (of Morrowind fame) got "fake" HDR running on SM2.0 vid cards. The 2.0 shader is also tweakable.
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Fake_HDR_lighting

pilonv1

I am still looking for the standard Soul Trap spell, I've got Greater and Superior and I've checked all the mage guilds. Sadly my Mysticism is still in the 30's so I cannot use them :(

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
pilonv1 said:
I am still looking for the standard Soul Trap spell, I've got Greater and Superior and I've checked all the mage guilds. Sadly my Mysticism is still in the 30's so I cannot use them :(

I just bought it off some guy (Mages guild) in Chorrol. Remember that a lot of merchants only sell stuff at certain times.

Anyone familiar with the construction set? I've got this shop built but the NPC merchant spawns in the void instead of where I place him. I can see him with a detect life enchantment way up through the ceiling.

Razoric

Banned
I think I've run into a glitch on the Thieves Guild quest line...

I'm having "a stranger" forge a letter for me and he says 'come back in 24 hours'... well i wait 24 hours he still says not ready, i sleep another 24 hours still not ready... i waited a total of a week and he's still not ready. I have 500+ gold on my character and the quest is telling me to go straight to him. WTF do I do? Am I screwed on the theives quest line? :(

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Razoric said:
I'm having "a stranger" forge a letter for me and he says 'come back in 24 hours'... well i wait 24 hours he still says not ready, i sleep another 24 hours still not ready... i waited a total of a week and he's still not ready. I have 500+ gold on my character and the quest is telling me to go straight to him. WTF do I do? Am I screwed on the theives quest line? :(

I also had this same problem...I ended up waiting about 4 days until it worked. In all honesty though, It just worked for no reason. He was up in the room and accepted my money. I would try waiting until around the same time you met him and then ask him. He'll give eventualy.

TheWolf

Banned
for some reason I have two of those DB blades that won't go away even though I finished the quest line. I have the 2 of the ones that you get for first joining, and the one you get when complete it. I can drop the "real" one, but the other two are quest items that can't be dropped. there's some glitch that happened when I tried to armor the blade that doubled it.

good thing they don't weigh anything.

Rhindle

Razoric said:
I think I've run into a glitch on the Thieves Guild quest line...

That's a known glitch. If you ask him about the letter before the 24 hour wait is up, he goes into a funk with the "stop bothering me" routine. To be safe, wait/sleep 25 hours before talking to him at all.

GhaleonEB

Damn, this game is big. It's like that scene in Roxanne (odd reference, I know, but it's what came to mind): "I knew it was going to be big...but I didn't know it was going to be...big!"

So I finally got a horse and decided to go into Imperial City for the first time, after messing around with random exploration. (Open quests: 16. Completed quests: 5.) I go from one of the cities on the side over to Imperial City, and find ~25 locations along the way. That doubles what I had found so far, in only two hours of riding around. I didn't even enter any of them, just ran by. I fear for my (scant) social life. 0_o

Imperial City is so big I literally freaked out. One section had over 20 places to go into...and I'm still exporing it. Jesus, Bethesda, you guys don't mess around.

A few questions:

Can you heal a horse? Wolves and raiders nearly killed the guy.

Is the damage done to your stats for going to jail permenant?

I ran into a guy fighting with wolves while I was. I started fighting wolves as well, and then he turned on me! So I smacked him up. Turns our he was a guard and he tried to arrest me. We're in the middle of nowhere, so I fight and take him down (and his friend). Since we're in the woods I figure it's all okay, but I'm arrested as soon as I get to Imperial City. All because a guard attacked me in the middle of the woods. And I didn't do anything wrong. :(

How do you get into the
fort on the island on the east side of the lake?

Ecrofirt

Is there anything wrong with using the Prior's horse? Hell, I've had the thing for awhile now, and it's not giving me problems.

Speevy

Banned
I think you can heal anything with a targeted/touch heal spell. Yes, jail stat decreases are permanent if you're shortsighted enough not to have a backup save. ;)

GhaleonEB

Speevy said:
I think you can heal anything with a targeted/touch heal spell. Yes, jail stat decreases are permanent if you're shortsighted enough not to have a backup save. ;)
Dammit. Oh well, I'm only level 3. Lots of time to get them back. Thanks.

mxz

Hehe, I kinda forgot to put my armor on after being released from prison and went into an Oblivion gate, cleared it out with just one enchanted dremora sword and upon closing it, realised that I was completely naked. Oddly, this realm was somehow too easy. Not more than a single foe in one room. It was wierd, I was going from tower to tower just to find that there was nobody there. All quiet in Oblivion. So in total I had to kill about 6-7 creatures before I got to the Sigil stone. How wierd is that?

Also, a naked Elf running around hell must be a fun sight too. Maybe that's why there was nobody there.

Oblivion kicks ass.

Uncle

Ecrofirt said:
Is there anything wrong with using the Prior's horse? Hell, I've had the thing for awhile now, and it's not giving me problems.

It's just slow and isn't very good in combat.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Its better than the pussy ass black horses when it comes to combat, 5k i plonked into one of those babies, first goblin that came along took it down, much to my annoyance (i was busy with another goblin)

I finally took out Umbra last night. I'm at level 23 now, and thought it was time to grab that sword of hers. I hit her was a nasty arrow on a sneak attack and then laid her out with some spells, although I admit when she got close, she was giving me plenty of damage.

Her sword is not bad, obviously, but I had already crafted another one that I like better, and also includes Soul Trap on it, but it needs to be recharged regularly. I think all my Soul Gems are full at the moment anyway, so I need to go searching for some more.

Oblivion is like a damn onion. Every time you peel away one layer, you find another just underneath.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hit level 41 last night. The game has become totally new to me. It was starting to get stagnant, since I had maxed armor, Umbra's sword, and killer jewlery and skills, so I decided to basically reinvent my character. He's now running around in nothing but a black robe and a hood and shooting arrows, which I had never done before. Marksmanship is sooo much fun! I set myself up with a Daedric bow that I put 20 dmg health on.

Nothing like being up in the mountians of western Cyrodiil and launching an ogre off the side with an arrow it never saw coming...

Mashing

Speaking of Umbra, is there a quest involved with her? I killed her on accident and then reloaded as I wasn't sure she was part of a quest or something (there wasn't a crown on her talk cursor so I'm not sure). I killed her easily (I'm level 33) so I'm not concerned with having to do it again.

Razoric

Banned
Rhindle said:
That's a known glitch. If you ask him about the letter before the 24 hour wait is up, he goes into a funk with the "stop bothering me" routine. To be safe, wait/sleep 25 hours before talking to him at all.

Is there a work around for potential fix for this (360 version). I gave up waiting and did a shitload of other quests thinking it'd kick in after a while. I don't really feel like re-doing all those quests again... :(

I believe there is a quest for Umbra, but I haven't come across it yet. It's funny that the only thing in her lair is a few rats and mudcrabs, yet ouside I had to take on a couple of highlevel daedras just to get in the door.:lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Mashing said:
Speaking of Umbra, is there a quest involved with her? I killed her on accident and then reloaded as I wasn't sure she was part of a quest or something (there wasn't a crown on her talk cursor so I'm not sure). I killed her easily (I'm level 33) so I'm not concerned with having to do it again.

Yep,
one of the Daedra Shrines fairly near Umbra's lair has you go retrieve the sword. I guess it would be worth it if you didn't use Blades as a skill, cause the reward for handing over Umbra's sword is a +20 Personality mask. I'll probably do it someday just to see what the mask looks like

Chi-Town

Finished off the Mage's Guild quest.

I love the Staff of Worms. Nothing like slaying a dremora or 2 in Oblivion and then bringing them back to life to work for you.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Mejilan said:
If you have a vid card with 256mb of vid RAM, you'll be able to run these 4 re-texture packs SWIMMINGLY, with pretty much no performance hit.

Jarrod's Texture Replacement Mod (he did amazing things in Morrowind too)
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Jarrod's_Texture_Mod

Landscape LOD Texture Replacement Mod (Central Regions)
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Landscape_LOD_Texture_Replacement

Landscape LOD Texture Replacement Mod (Border Regions)
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Landscape_LOD_Texture_Replacement_(Border_Regions)

Landscape LOD NormalMap Fix Mod
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Landscape_LOD_NormalMap_Fix

Between these 4, you'll have retextured and/or fixed a large portion of both the close-up and distant texture maps.

Also, though I haven't tried it yet, Timeslip (of Morrowind fame) got "fake" HDR running on SM2.0 vid cards. The 2.0 shader is also tweakable.
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Fake_HDR_lighting
Thank you kindly Mejilan, BlueTsunami.

BlueLegs

what sort of character are you??

If you're a mage set them on fire.

If you're a fighter just attack with silver weapons (or was that ghosts?_?)and block while using potions.

If you're a thief/rogue just sneak around them and stab them in the back.

BuG

I don't have time to read through the whole 80+ pages, sorry, I just wanted to ask where the mountain lions are. I have a deal with my girlfriend I need to win here so an exact location would be swell.

edit: 133 pages, WTF?

BuG

Thanks. My very own Wood Elf, a one "Fantus", will be taking a trip to Cheydinal of the morrow in search of these beasts.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
BuG said:
I don't have time to read through the whole 80+ pages, sorry, I just wanted to ask where the mountain lions are. I have a deal with my girlfriend I need to win here so an exact location would be swell.

mountain lions spawn randomly outdoors in accordance with your level, IIRC. I think I saw them around level 10, although I can't really remember anymore. I remember seeing them in between the time I saw black bears and grizzly bears.

BuG

Nerevar said:
mountain lions spawn randomly outdoors in accordance with your level, IIRC. I think I saw them around level 10, although I can't really remember anymore. I remember seeing them in between the time I saw black bears and grizzly bears.
Oh, damn. I'm level 1 what the hell. Thanks. :(

BuG said:

What? You didn't want to read the whole thread? :lol Shame on you! :D

Maya

Kung Fu Jedi said:
What? You didn't want to read the whole thread? :lol Shame on you! :D

I did. FOUR DAYS... AT WORK. I'm not sure I'll ever do that again.

Now I got to ask, anyone else having problems with the offical horse armor add-on? I bought it, downloaded it fine, entered the serial number I got from the e-mail confirmation they sent... then, nothing!

I tried re-installing, but the InstallShield freezes. Searched their forums and found out this is a known bug, but I really think it installed fine the first time... but I just don't have any indication as to where to BUY the stupid horse armor.

I'm sure somebody on GAF knows...

Top Bottom