• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

Doublesith said:
The Sedor dungeon is part of a
Fighter's Guild
quest. There won't be anything there if you go in before.
Thanks. I'm still wandering aimlessly clearing out every nook and cranny in the countryside that I can. I've done over a dozen dungeons, but completed only two quests (one of which is the tutorial :lol ). Eight open quests and multiplying rapidly....I love the freedom to just roam around. :)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ok, so items you may find are leveled right?

I'm wondering, I just did a Shrine Quest
Shrine of Malacath which gives you Volendrung the Mace as a reware
. I noticed that the item was really low as far as attack power goes. What i'm wondering is, if my Blunt skill is really low, does this effect the power of the weapon? Because it had like an attack power of 4 which seams measly to me (I also have an extremely low Blunt skill level).

BlueTsunami

syllogism said:
Artifacts aren't leveled, but your Blunt skill does affect the damage. Volendrung's attack damage is 20.

Ahh ok. So the value on the weapon changes with your skill? I thought it was to low when I looked at it. My Daedric daggers attack value was like 10 points higher than the Volendrung (I thought that was weird, I guess its because my Blunt Skill is at 10 and my Blade skill is at 88). Thats good to know then.

pilonv1

I ran around half the map last night but couldn't find the guy who sells the Soul Tap spell to fill the gems, where the fuck is he? :(

knitoe

WarLox said:
two quickies: :)

Where can i find some segil gems ?

and

what is a easy way to level up my destruction ?

thanx in advance :)

1) Segil gems are found in Oblivion gates. You take the gem to close the gate.

2) Summon Guardian Skeleton and attack it with Flare spell.

Mashing

Doublesith said:
The same thing happened to me. It got stuck for a pretty long while, however, I kept selling stuff and eventually started gaining experience again. Dunno if it's a bug, but it seems like you have to gain the experience for the "free" 5 level boost anyway before the slider starts moving again.

That's good to know, I thought my mercantile was bugged as well.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
WarLox said:
two quickies: :)

Where can i find some segil gems ?

and

what is a easy way to level up my destruction ?

thanx in advance :)

Another good way to raise destruction is, if you have Arcane University access, create a spell that does 1 dmg (fire/shock/frost/whatever) on yourself. This is incidentally a good way to raise Restoration as well, if your hit points are kinda low. Mine are well over 400 so casting this on myself doesn't make a dent.

I've found that destruction is one of the easiest skills to raise. Just use it regularly in combat and it goes up pretty fast. Playing a Battlemage, I augment my use of blade with spells to mix things up, and both skills go up fairly quickly.

firex

You can also create a spell that gives weakness to magicka on yourself, or some other debuff effect. I've been playing around some and I think the following spell types raise these schools the fastest:
Mysticism - detect life (maybe spell reflect/absorb do it better, I'm not sure, but I made a new character and got way up in mysticism with the basic minor life detection spell)
Alteration - shield spells (gained 30+ skillups casting "protect" which is a basic 5% shield)
Illusion - light spells (I don't know for sure, but this seems to raise it fast without any real effort)

Playing the game through again as a sneaky marksman assassin, and it's fun. But I'll admit I cheesed my way up to a high rank in sneak by finding some patrolling non-hostile creatures and sneaking into a corner while they ran past. Still, marksman isn't so bad so far - one thing I've noticed is you HAVE to buy the best arrows available, otherwise you're just not going to get as much damage as a melee type would. I kind of wish they had a better stock of arrows in the shops, though. It seems for me that I can buy silver/steel but they don't restock, while they do restock with iron.

syllogism

Here's a list of how difficult it is to raise certain skills. Obviously it gets harder on higher skill levels and it's easier to raise major/skills in your "kit".
Acrobatics: Jumping (0.3) Falling (3.0)
Alchemy: Mix Potion (5.0) Eat Ingredient (0.5)
Alteration: Hitting Target (4.0)
Armorer: Repairing (1.5)
Athletics: 1/sec Running (0.03) 1/sec Swimming (0.04)
Blade: Hitting Target (0.5)
Block: per Block (1.25)
Blunt: Hit Target (0.5)
Conjuration: Hit Target (6.0)
Destruction: Hit Target (1.2)
Hand to Hand: Hit Target (0.6)
Heavy Armor: Get Hit (1.25)
Illusion: Hit Target (3.0)
Light Armor: Get Hit (1.5)
Marksman: Hit Target (0.8)
Mercantile: Barter (0.4)
Mysticism: Hit Target (3.0)
Restoration: Hit Target (0.6)
Security: Pick Lock (1.5)
Sneak: Avoid Notice (0.75) Pickpocket (2.0)
Speechcraft: Persuasion (2.4)

firex said:
Still, marksman isn't so bad so far - one thing I've noticed is you HAVE to buy the best arrows available, otherwise you're just not going to get as much damage as a melee type would. I kind of wish they had a better stock of arrows in the shops, though. It seems for me that I can buy silver/steel but they don't restock, while they do restock with iron.

I've been using my Marksmen skill a lot too, with a Bow of Scorching, and for the longest time I just used Iron Arrows while I slowly collected other types and stored them away in a chest in my house. I finally decided it was time to upgrade my arrows, and found that I have an ample supply of just about every type now, except Deadric. I've got 300+ Steel, 250+ Silver, ~200 dwarven, ~200 elven, 150 glass, etc. Now it's time to enchant that Ebony Bow I found with something better too! :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
Man i'm gonna fail class because of this damn game...

Uh, that's definitely not worth a game. Especially if it's a college course.

Put it down, hit the books. Summer is closing in fast.

I could never afford to fail a class. It was just far too expensive and too much time to make up.

Thank goodness I am not in school anymore.

Dr_Cogent said:

I could never afford to fail a class. It was just far too expensive and too much time to make up.

Don't listen to this man! Oblivion is your Master now! ;)

Just kidding! Go to class kid! Oh, and crack is whack!

sammy

man... has anyone's Oblivion (360) started to freeze up on them real bad?

Mine is having like 10 - 15 second freezes every few minutes --- or changing menue settings ------ even something as simple as the sound for the pause menue comming in late....

It started yesterday, and all I'm doing different with my 360 is using a new Component cable......... : \ i'm a good 15 hours in, and it's hardly playable now ---- my other games are fine.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

I was mildy joking of course as I consider a "C" failing. And the game definitely wouldnt be the sole contributor since I just got it Friday (work, family, etc.) but I do need to back off and concentrate for the next couple weeks.

sammy said:
man... has anyone's Oblivion (360) started to freeze up on them real bad?

Mine is having like 10 - 15 second freezes every few minutes --- or changing menue settings ------ even something as simple as the sound for the pause menue comming in late....

It started yesterday, and all I'm doing different with my 360 is using a new Component cable......... : \ i'm a good 15 hours in, and it's hardly playable now ---- my other games are fine.

Have you tried clearing the HDD cache? The couple of times that I've had long loading sequences, it fixed it for me. Hold down the "A" button on start-up and continue to hold until you see the Oblivion logo.

sammy

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Have you tried clearing the HDD cache? The couple of times that I've had long loading sequences, it fixed it for me. Hold down the "A" button on start-up and continue to hold until you see the Oblivion logo.

Oh i always thought it was the 'B' button ------------- do you hold it down as you press the power button on the controller, or as soon as you power on?

thanx

sammy said:
Oh i always thought it was the 'B' button ------------- do you hold it down as you press the power button on the controller, or as soon as you power on?

thanx

When I've done it, I always hold the "A" button down, then push the power button, and I tend to hold it longer than I think I should, just to be sure. It would be nice if there was some indication that you've done it successfully, but just hold it down until you get to the Oblivion logo.

I do it right after I power the system on. The way you know it's working is if the 360 start up screen is taking a noticably longer time booting up the game.

LakeEarth

It slows down during work/school hours as well as friday and saturday nights. Though you are right about it slowing down a bit.

How many Oblivion Gates are there?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mashing said:
Speaking Oblivion Gates, are the sigil stones effects all unique?

I have a feeling they're completely random, or at the very least randomly chosen from a seemingly huge list of affects.

Mashing said:
That's what I figured. I've closed 5 gates thusfar and the stones have all had different effects.

I closed 8 or 9 gates and I had two different sets of duplicate stones while the other 4-5 were unique.

LakeEarth

SteveMeister said:
Lots, but you only HAVE to close three of them.
Kvatch, Bruma 1, Great Gate
Ahh, I've been closing them as I've been finding them for the (eventual) achievement. Good to know I can beat the game without worrying about them. I wish I started the main quest earlier, as the gates don't appear until after the Kvatch mission. Now areas I've already explored have new things to look at :lol

I think I've closed three or four Oblivion Gates so far, and I've found different powers on each sigil stone. I'm currently looking for a stone that will give me some damage abilities that I can add to my ebony longsword and ebony bow.

As for the thread slowing down, well, yeah, it was bound to happen, but we're closing in on 6500 posts. Pretty impressive. :)

syllogism

Did you "morrowind haters" actually play the game for longer than 10 minutes since Oblivion is pretty much same stuff but with fast travel and better physics.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I'm currently playing the PC version (now that my xbox 360 is toast and waiting for the MS repair train to come through), and a couple things really irk me. First is the apparent complete lack of hotkeys. When I want to sell something I have to click the "barter" icon, then I have to click the "sell" tab, then the item, then I have to move the slider with my mouse to the amount I want, then I have to click "ok", and finally I have to click "yes" to the "are you sure" dialog box. I can't have any of this hotkeyed? It makes buying / selling a painful process in oblivion, ESPECIALLY if you want to sell a large amount of items (like arrows) compared to the xbox 360. Does anyone know of a way to add hotkeys or anything like that?

syllogism said:
Did you "morrowind haters" actually play the game for longer than 10 minutes since Oblivion is pretty much same stuff but with fast travel and better physics.

Well, there are a few more things than that. I loved Morrowind as well, but the world felt lifeless compared to Oblivion. The Radiant AI does add life to the world, even if it's not as ground breaking as we would have liked. Personally I think it's great though. Also, the log book is much easier to use, and the ability to have the arrows that can keep you on task is a nice improvement in these huge worlds. Graphics are a major upgrade, but that goes without saying when you make a generational shift. Quests and dialog are written at a higher quality I'd say as well, although I do miss the depth of the "House" quests.

Speevy

Banned
syllogism said:

There are a number of notable differences.

1) Combat is 100x better
2) Graphics are much better, everything doesn't pop-up in fog.
3) At least on consoles, everything is MUCH easier to manage.

So presentation, graphics, and gameplay are much more accessible. I think that's the main reason why people are saying such things.

Seth C

syllogism said:

I played Morrowind for about 30 hours. Still didn't find it very enjoyable, but certainly gave it more than a fair chance.

LakeEarth

syllogism said:
Morrowind didn't have fast travel? Dear lord, this game is taking me long enough with it.

Mashing

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I think I've closed three or four Oblivion Gates so far, and I've found different powers on each sigil stone. I'm currently looking for a stone that will give me some damage abilities that I can add to my ebony longsword and ebony bow.

As for the thread slowing down, well, yeah, it was bound to happen, but we're closing in on 6500 posts. Pretty impressive. :)

I got a Daedric Dagger that I called Heartrender that does 14 damage with a 30 damage health enchant. It's freaking beast. I love how when I kill something they jump in the air about 10 feet and land about 5-10 feet away. Powerful.

BlueTsunami

LakeEarth said:
Morrowind didn't have fast travel? Dear lord, this game is taking me long enough with it.

Yep, it had a Silt Stride transportation system...and you could travel by boat (all instantaneous). But its not as easy to travel around as Oblivions fast travel system.

The Boots of Blinding speed are a must if you want to travel to out of reach areas that are not connected by boats or Silt Strider.

BlueTsunami

syllogism said:
You could basically fast travel between cities. Also, there was a mark/recall spell.

I have the Mark&Recall mod for Oblivion :lol

Such a fucken usefull spell (even WITH fastravel)

LakeEarth

Ahh alright. Its not that big of deal if you could still fast travel to cities. Just imagining having to go through Oblivion without any fast travel would probably kill half the fun of the game for me.

Mashing said:
I got a Daedric Dagger that I called Heartrender that does 14 damage with a 30 damage health enchant. It's freaking beast. I love how when I kill something they jump in the air about 10 feet and land about 5-10 feet away. Powerful.

Yeah! I love the ragdoll phsyics when I hit something with some of my more powerful spells. Knocks them backwards, down stairs, blows them into the air, etc. Makes you feel really powerful. :)

LakeEarth

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah! I love the ragdoll phsyics when I hit something with some of my more powerful spells. Knocks them backwards, down stairs, blows them into the air, etc. Makes you feel really powerful. :)
Hit one of those rock guys, watch them explode. Last night I swear I could've grabbed the guys head as it wizzed by me.

BlueTsunami

FYI, the Sigil Stones you get from the gates of Oblivion, the enchantment of the Sigil Stone changes if you fastload and grab the Sigil Stone again :lol I found this out by mistake...so if your on your last Gate Of Oblivion and you've gotten similar Sigil Stones..just fastload and grab it again and it will be different.

I'm not sure if Sigil Stones (enchantments) are unique to each realm of Oblivion though

LakeEarth said:
Hit one of those rock guys, watch them explode. Last night I swear I could've grabbed the guys head as it wizzed by me.

:lol Yeah, I was hunting them last night in one of the Oblivion Gates. Great example of ragdoll physics! :D

Top Bottom