• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I know its been covered already but no idea where, - how do I make

black soul gems? I put grand soul gems in an altar, cast soul trap on it and nothing. I tried putting some bones in too, was gonna try mort flesh when I ran into some. Any tips?

Also when enchanting stuff like gauntlets or necklaces, it it ever possible to put more than one effect? I have some gauntlets which fortify 3 different attributes which I found, but I want to make my own using a superior set of gauntlets with superior enchantments if possible. But once I put one effect, thats it.

I can put multiple effects on weapons just fine though.

kaizoku said:

black soul gems? I put grand soul gems in an altar, cast soul trap on it and nothing. I tried putting some bones in too, was gonna try mort flesh when I ran into some. Any tips?

Also when enchanting stuff like gauntlets or necklaces, it it ever possible to put more than one effect? I have some gauntlets which fortify 3 different attributes which I found, but I want to make my own using a superior set of gauntlets with superior enchantments if possible. But once I put one effect, thats it.

I can put multiple effects on weapons just fine though.

They have to be made at night when the moons are visible. This is when I did it anyway.

And no it's not possible to enchant more than one constant effect.

Mashing

What's the deal with those mines that shoot fireballs in the realm of Oblivion? For some reason the ones I've come up against are all duds (they explode but it doesn't do any damage to me even if I'm standing right on top if it as it explodes). I think one of my mods may have bugged it or something.

Xdrive05

Okay, here's a question. What benefits/detriments are there for your fame/infamy ratings?

I ask because I'm considerring joining the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, and I don't want to mess up the main quest or anything like that. My fame is like 56 or something, and my infamy is like 3 (long story). So is there anything I need to know before I go right in and start raising my infamy? Thanks.

Xdrive05 said:
Okay, here's a question. What benefits/detriments are there for your fame/infamy ratings?

I ask because I'm considerring joining the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, and I don't want to mess up the main quest or anything like that. My fame is like 56 or something, and my infamy is like 3 (long story). So is there anything I need to know before I go right in and start raising my infamy? Thanks.

Fame and Infamy effect the way people treat you, what their dispostion towards you is, and even the what they will say to you at times. If you want to remain purely good, you don't want to do the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests, however, you can do both of them with out effecting Infamy as long as you are not sceen, and don't get caught.

GhaleonEB

Two questions.

Can you be a member of multiple guilds at the same time (Mages/Dark Brotherhood)?

Lockpicks. Where? I know it's been mentioned about 2,000 posts ago but I could find where....:)

gblues

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Two questions.

Can you be a member of multiple guilds at the same time (Mages/Dark Brotherhood)?

Lockpicks. Where? I know it's been mentioned about 2,000 posts ago but I could find where....:)

Yes, you can join multiple guilds.

You can buy lockpicks from your fence, or on the corpses of fallen bandits.
Or get the Skeleton Key as one of the Daedric quests, which is an unbreakable lockpick.

Nathan

Speevy

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Two questions.

Lockpicks are found all over the world but more specifically, on the bodies of thieves, bandits, and goblins. The Thieves Guild sells them infinitely. Yes, you can be a member of all guilds and complete them all.

Mashing

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Fame and Infamy effect the way people treat you, what their dispostion towards you is, and even the what they will say to you at times. If you want to remain purely good, you don't want to do the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests, however, you can do both of them with out effecting Infamy as long as you are not sceen, and don't get caught.

Are you certain about this? I've done DB quests that were in secret (I got the bonus) and my infamy still went up.

I'm something like 60 fame, 20 infamy atm I think.

WarLox

could someone list the steps of item duping... or atleast point to the pages to where this is discussed ?

thanx

:)

p.s. I've tried it many.. many times.. and I cant get it to work... at first I was trying to dup a staff.. and then a shirt.. neither would work :(

help

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ok..about Fame and Infamy....

Its states in game that
The Grey Cowl changes who you are and how your percieved. So when you put on the Grey Cowl your essentially a different person. So, say your doing the Dark Brotherhood quest....if you finish each quest with the Grey Cowl, it counts as Infamy FOR the Grey Cowl and not for you personally.

It also works the other way around, if you do GOOD quests with the Grey Cowl, the Fame counts towards you with the Grey Cowl ON. This only happens IF you have the Grey Cowl on when you finish your objective and completley finish the quest with the Grey Cowl on.

I know this because i've got 100 Infamy and 3 Fame for the Grey Cowl. I accidently finished some quests that reward Fame with the Grey Cowl ON.
Just thought I would let you guys know.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
WarLox said:
could someone list the steps of item duping... or atleast point to the pages to where this is discussed ?

thanx

:)

p.s. I've tried it many.. many times.. and I cant get it to work... at first I was trying to dup a staff.. and then a shirt.. neither would work :(

help

Xbox 360 version

draw back bow
enter menu
press A on equipped arrows twice
select item you wish to dupe and press "drop"
exit menu
witness cascade of items

Notes - it seems the number of arrows affects what you can dupe. I dont know the maths, but if you have 110 silver arrows you can't use those to dupe ebony arrows if you have 130 ebony. But using the 130 ebony you can dupe the 110 silver.

The more arrows you have also seems to effect the other things you can dupe. I have only just figured this out in the past 10 minutes (after my original reply to you haha) and since I posted the reply I've had it work like 10 times in a row.

Doesn't work on some quest items which you cant drop or enchanted items which were made by me somehow (mages guild etc). I have had it dupe enchanted rings and clothing though so enchanted things DO work. Maybe just enchanted weapons which do not, or weapons full stop.

Ecrofirt

Here's how I get item duping to work, though it doesn't work on all items:

1) Equip a bow and arrows, and make sure your inventory screen is on all items (this is the lefmost selection)
2) Draw back arrow, and hold down the fire button
3) While holding the fire button, go to your inventory screen (tab on the PC version).
4) Highlight another kind of arrow and select it twice so you get the "Cannot equip message"
5) Now scroll to the item you want to drop, and do a quick drop (shift + select in PC)
6) Now scroll back up to the arrows you initially had selected and quick drop them
7) Exit your inventory screen

If the item is dupable, it'll spawn a shitton of them.

I've had it work especially well with Cure Disease potions and Dwarven warhammers.

I'll try to post a video in a bit.

edit:
To the poster above -- you CAN dupe enchanted weapons. I've only tried on an enchanted Dwarven Warhammer I made, but it worked.

I also know there are limits on what can be duped. As I recall, Nirnroot can't be duped. I've also found that I can't dupe anything that's been stolen.

Maya

Holy crap.

I just read this whole thread START TO FINISH. 6521 posts.

I think I need to shower.

Oh... and I'm going to shoot the next person that asks how to cure vampirism or where garlic is.

WarLox

Ecrofirt said:
Here's how I get item duping to work, though it doesn't work on all items:

1) Equip a bow and arrows, and make sure your inventory screen is on all items (this is the lefmost selection)
2) Draw back arrow, and hold down the fire button
3) While holding the fire button, go to your inventory screen (tab on the PC version).
4) Highlight another kind of arrow and select it twice so you get the "Cannot equip message"
5) Now scroll to the item you want to drop, and do a quick drop (shift + select in PC)
6) Now scroll back up to the arrows you initially had selected and quick drop them
7) Exit your inventory screen

If the item is dupable, it'll spawn a shitton of them.

I've had it work especially well with Cure Disease potions and Dwarven warhammers.

I'll try to post a video in a bit.

edit:
To the poster above -- you CAN dupe enchanted weapons. I've only tried on an enchanted Dwarven Warhammer I made, but it worked.

I also know there are limits on what can be duped. As I recall, Nirnroot can't be duped. I've also found that I can't dupe anything that's been stolen.

yes.. video please... I still cant get this to work..

:(

dumb question: when you say quick drop... you do mean (X to drop) correct ?

Ecrofirt

WarLox said:
yes.. video please... I still cant get this to work..

:(

dumb question: when you say quick drop... you do mean (X to drop) correct ?

I have to PC version, so I can't tell you how the keys translate to X360 buttons.

I'd make a video, but I've got a test to study for. Perhaps someone else can.

Xdrive05

BlueTsunami said:
Ok..about Fame and Infamy....

Its states in game that
The Grey Cowl changes who you are and how your percieved. So when you put on the Grey Cowl your essentially a different person. So, say your doing the Dark Brotherhood quest....if you finish each quest with the Grey Cowl, it counts as Infamy FOR the Grey Cowl and not for you personally.

It also works the other way around, if you do GOOD quests with the Grey Cowl, the Fame counts towards you with the Grey Cowl ON. This only happens IF you have the Grey Cowl on when you finish your objective and completley finish the quest with the Grey Cowl on.

I know this because i've got 100 Infamy and 3 Fame for the Grey Cowl. I accidently finished some quests that reward Fame with the Grey Cowl ON.
Just thought I would let you guys know.

EXCELLENT info! And great post from you too, Kung Fu Jedi.

Thanks a lot. :)

Zensetsu

kaizoku said:

It has to be on a certain night of the week. Wait near the altar and check it every night , on one of them you will see a pillar of pinkish light coming down from the sky and shining on the altar. For me it was "Turdas" night. Then just do exactly what you are doing there with the spell and the gem - (has to be a grand.)

Brannon

Alright, what the hell.

My magic gear was beaten to hell and I'm not much of an armorer to fix it myself. I resolved to get it fixed after a nap in Bruma. I wake up an hour later and a list of messages fly by

-*magic sword* unequipped
-*magic sword* equipped
-*magic curiass* unequipped
-*magic curiass* equipped
-bow unequipped
-bow equipped

and so on for about half a minute. I think nothing of it and go inside my menu to refresh myself on what to do about a quest and I notice my character is completely naked.

WTF ROBBERY!?!?

I check my inventory and it's all there. My money's good too. Phew. But something's amiss. I inspect my gear closer and notice that all of my magic gear is repaired to 100.

So apparently this is a wierd glitch, or Bethesda saw it fit to include the Minish into the world of Oblivion to make me happy by fixing my stuff while I'm asleep. What gives yo?

ijm72

I didn't know that there was a commercial for the game. I was watching sporscenter and I saw it. I must say the commercial is pretty good and if I did not know about the game the commercial would probably get me interested in it.

Ecrofirt

DJ Brannon said:
Alright, what the hell.

My magic gear was beaten to hell and I'm not much of an armorer to fix it myself. I resolved to get it fixed after a nap in Bruma. I wake up an hour later and a list of messages fly by

-*magic sword* unequipped
-*magic sword* equipped
-*magic curiass* unequipped
-*magic curiass* equipped
-bow unequipped
-bow equipped

and so on for about half a minute. I think nothing of it and go inside my menu to refresh myself on what to do about a quest and I notice my character is completely naked.

WTF ROBBERY!?!?

I check my inventory and it's all there. My money's good too. Phew. But something's amiss. I inspect my gear closer and notice that all of my magic gear is repaired to 100.

So apparently this is a wierd glitch, or Bethesda saw it fit to include the Minish into the world of Oblivion to make me happy by fixing my stuff while I'm asleep. What gives yo?

You should check your character you make sure he's not missing a kidney.

Zensetsu

BlueTsunami said:

I was just about to post this....I just looked on GameFaqs beforehand for an answer and found nothing....

*is creeped out...
I believe you can use them to trap human souls.

*edit* Beaten.....although I did post about it maybe 10 pages ago - this thread moves fast!

BlueTsunami

So do Human Souls off more Enchantment options? or are more powerfull? Also, can be any human? like a random bandit (god knows Oblivion will miss one).

Speevy

Banned
Question: Are there infinite patrolling guards or just a limited number? I love walking behind these guys to join them in a fight, but it seems that more and more they can't last but a few seconds with my Level 22 scaled monsters.

Ecrofirt

Oh, a quick observation I made.

I thoroughly enjoy goofing around with the training dummies in the fighters guilds. It's a bit disheartening to see that they don't seem to affect my skill at all. It would be nice if they had a positive benefit on my skill. Granted, it shouldn't increase skill much at all, or else people would break the game by doing nothing buy attacking a dummy for an hour, but having blade/blunt skill go up a tad would be nice.

Just an observation.

BlueTsunami

Ecrofirt said:

I thoroughly enjoy goofing around with the training dummies in the fighters guilds. It's a bit disheartening to see that they don't seem to affect my skill at all. It would be nice if they had a positive benefit on my skill. Granted, it shouldn't increase skill much at all, or else people would break the game by doing nothing buy attacking a dummy for an hour, but having blade/blunt skill go up a tad would be nice.

Just an observation.

I actually started hitting a dummy just to see if my Blade skill would raise up. Thats actually one that I also think Bethesda should have added. Though, with Oblivion (as opposed to Morrowind) it seems like Bethesda are trying their hardest to force you to go into battle and quest around instead of grinding levels (which some people would do).

Ferrio

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
So do Human Souls off more Enchantment options? or are more powerfull? Also, can be any human? like a random bandit (god knows Oblivion will miss one).

Ya whats the benefit from catching a human soul?

Speevy said:
There are a number of notable differences.

1) Combat is 100x better
2) Graphics are much better, everything doesn't pop-up in fog.
3) At least on consoles, everything is MUCH easier to manage.

So presentation, graphics, and gameplay are much more accessible. I think that's the main reason why people are saying such things.

Yeah, if I had to bet, most of the casual gamers who picked up Morrowind got frustrated and quit the first time they got into battle and their weapons were doing no damage despite the fact they were conecting with the opponent.

Mashing said:
Are you certain about this? I've done DB quests that were in secret (I got the bonus) and my infamy still went up.

I'm something like 60 fame, 20 infamy atm I think.

Not completely certain on the DB quests, as I haven't done them yet, but it's worked this way for me on any thief missions I've done. Don't get caught, or seen, and you're good.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Ecrofirt said:

Just an observation.

I raised my restoration and hand-to-hand by over 10 points early in one game by just beating up on the sheep in the pen next to Weynon Priory. Just beat them to within an inch of their life, then heal them back up. Didn't take very long either. It's quite funny to just wail on them and have them sit there without reacting besides bleating really loud.

Nerevar said:
I raised my restoration and hand-to-hand by over 10 points early in one game by just beating up on the sheep in the pen next to Weynon Priory. Just beat them to within an inch of their life, then heal them back up. Didn't take very long either. It's quite funny to just wail on them and have them sit there without reacting besides bleating really loud.

Is "Beating the Sheep" a new euphemism? :lol

sammy

man, my Oblivion is still freezing up bad : [ i even cleared the cache

but it acts as if the cache is cleared every time i start ---- it always need time to load in menues, sounds, attacks, etc.....

I donno what the hell is wrong, no other game has this issue ---- it's as if the disk is running at half-speed when it give information to the HD... (or something i donno')

WarLox

sammy said:

but it acts as if the cache is cleared every time i start ---- it always need time to load in menues, sounds, attacks, etc.....

I donno what the hell is wrong, no other game has this issue ---- it's as if the disk is running at half-speed when it give information to the HD... (or something i donno')

something happened to me.. call MS to replace your box.... my new one with a samsung drive works great :D

sammy

WarLox said:
something happened to me.. call MS to replace your box.... my new one with a samsung drive works great :D

how do you check your disk drive? my 360 is only about 3 weeks old too

LakeEarth

sammy said:

Have you tried deleting some of your saves, or maybe emptying out your pockets a bit in the game (so you don't have hundreds of keys and potions)? That helped me out when the game started to slow down.

Brannon

Sander said:
:lol That's just the mod that levels up your special items when you yourself level up (name escapes me at the moment).

...oh yeah, forgot about that thing. I'm just gonna call it the Minish Cap Mod from now on :p

123rl

I've had some serious problems with it today -

One quest wouldn't let me teleport out Chorrol. I tried 5-6 times and tried as many things as I could think of...no luck

So I reloaded a previous save (lucky that I had one about 20 minutes earlier!) and it seemed ok. So I started a different quest and that wouldn't work properly. I was supposed to meet someone in an inn but he didn't show up. The green arrow was showing where he should be...but he wasn't there.

So I loaded another previous save and carried on. All seems ok so far...I'm just waiting for what will ruin it next :(

WarLox

In my search to find out why i can't do item duping.. I stumbled on to this... enjoy :)

sorry if old.... :(

I tried it, and it does work... good luck :)

"THESE ARE ALL THE POSTS I MADE ON IGN BOARDS
-If you have any questions, send me FR and I'll walk you through all the steps

All Attributes(from willpower to agility)=300 or more
Acrobatics:300
Blade:300
"Fingers of Mountain" spell- 200 damage on target with radius of 10 ft

..and so on..
That's my superhuman from Oblivion.It was created in 4 hours

-have 2 types of arrows in your inventory and a bow
-first make copies of sigil stones you want the effect from(example, fortify magica 50 points)

PART 1
This will explain how to make copies of sigil stones:
1.Have 2 types of arrows in your inventory and a bow
2.Equip one of them and pull RT to shoot(don't release it yet), press B to go to inventory
3.Click on arrows(equiped ones) 2 times, then go to the sigil stone you wanna make copies of
4.Drop the stone
5.Press B to exit inventory
6.Pick up all the copies of sigil stone from the ground

-now do the same thing with any type of ring that does not have any effect(example, gold ring, or any type of amulet)-those 2 can be purchased at many shops
-make copies of that those rings
-now combine sigil stones with all those rings (or amulets).Name them with different names(ex. magic ring-1 , magic ring-2 ,...)

PART 2

1) Equip one of the arrows
2) Pull back using RT then click B
3) At inventory screen, Click A twice on the equipped arrow...
4) Drop the item you want to keep the constant effect from (those magic rings you made, drop one of them)
5) Exit Inv. screen
6) Pick up the arrow you fired and the 2 of those rings you just duped
7) Go to inventory and Equip one of the rings, and Equip other set of arrows
8) Pull back RT again, click B
9) Double Click on the Equipped Arrows twice
10) Now drop the Unequipped Duplicate of the Ring you're wearing.

-now drop that ring(both copies if you see them).Go to active magic effects(magic ring-1,see, it's still taking the effect)
-keep doing this with magic ring-2, magic ring-3 and so on...

-You can also do this with any ring you find(but you can't make effect copies like with sigil stones).For example Ring of Perfection you find in the game, do the part 2 with it and drop the ring, the ring effect will stay
-This shows that there is no limit to you character atrributes, skills, and so on...
If you have any questions, please ask, this has been confirmed 100% that it works

-to make attributes go up to 300, you have to be part of Arcane uneversity, make a rings there, than just do the part 2
-As for Fingers of Mountains:you have to be atleast level 30 and then go do that quest.It takes 710 points from you magica to fire this sucker, but since my willpower is at 350 right now it's no problem.It's by far the best destruction (most powerfull) available. Now remember, if you don't make you magica go up to atleast 710, you can't fire this

-Make sure you increase your acrobatics, willpower and magica.It's really worth it

-Listen, just find any ring(example resist shock 20%) and do the 2nd part only, you can have as many different rings or amulets taking effects as you want.It's a glitch that allws you to equip as many rings or amulets as you want(without this glitch ring limit is only 2 and amulet only 1)

-You can get any sigil stone you want, this is how:
-Just before you press A to activate the stone, save your game, if you don't like the stone, load the game from that save and activate the stone again.The stones order is random, keep doing it until you get the stone you want

-No you don't have to have a sigil stone, use the rings , amulets and armor.As for acrobatics, just make many acrobatics rings(using ring copies glitch) and incerase your acrobatics as much as you want.Remember, you can't copy rings that already have the effect, but you can equip(take the effect) as many rings as you want

You can't make copies of rings that already have the effect.You can only have them take the effect that one time, then drop them and the effetct still stays.Say you find 2 rings with resist shock 20% and the other one with resist shock30%, your'r resist shock will add up. You can do this with as many rings as you want, it just keeps adding up

What I posted is not just for acrobatics , it's for anything.Once again, if you don't understand how this works send me FR and I'll walk you through all the steps.You must have a mike, so we can talk.Send me FR, I'll be on later today."

WarLox

Tips for the previous post:

- you don't need two sets of arrows to make this work, I only used 1 in all steps and it worked fine

- Part 2) 9. it asks you to double click twice.... so i pressed the button 4 times, making sure i heard the conformation sound each time

- after Part 2) 9. exit inventory.... it took me a while to figure that out :lol

- enjoy

also what great about Part 2 is... you can take the constant effect of an item without wearing it... I had this great cuirass at my house, but i never wore it because it was too heavy for me, with the other things I was carying... now I can use the enchantment, and just sell the cuirass for extra $$$

be warned... *ONCE YOU TAKE THE CONSTANT EFFECT OF AN ITEM, YOU CAN NO LONGER WEAR SAID ITEM* ... because you're already "wearing" it :)

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Ruas said:
how would my system run oblivion; athlon 64 3200, 1gb ocz 3200 ram,geforce 7600gs ?

my rig is virtually identical (athlon 64 3200 running win xp x64 edition, 1gb pc2700 DDR ram, x800 pro) and I run it at the "default" settings (absolutely no tweaks .. yet) at 1280x1024 at a very good framerate. It looks virtually indistuingishable from the xbox360 version in terms of grass and all the other stuff (actually, with the mods I have applied like a shorter grass, BTMod, and color map I'd say it looks a lot better). I think your PC will definitely be able to handle it.

Top Bottom