• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

I was feeling good about the number of places I'd discovered. Then I saw how many there were on a map posted elsewhere. Holy shit. 0_o

The sheer number of things to do just boggles my mind.

Speevy

Banned
I know. I've done about 1/8 of the game's total quests at 60 hours. My highest ranking in any guild is Evoker in the mage's one.

syllogism

GhaleonEB said:
I was feeling good about the number of places I'd discovered. Then I saw how many there were on a map posted elsewhere. Holy shit. 0_o

The sheer number of things to do just boggles my mind.

Yeah, except there's nothing to do in any of the dungeons really.

syllogism

Speevy said:
There's nothing to do in any dungeon in any RPG except get attacked and collect treasure.

Well even assuming that's true, there's nothing you can't find in the first dungeon you come across in Oblivion that you can find in any of the others. So completely random loot (and leveled monsters, I wish I could run into some really scary ones on level 1) is what I dislike. I do agree the designs differ enough to make exploring them a bit more interesting.

Fortunately there's enough content to keep you busy for quite a while even if you don't explore dungeons at all. I'll stop whining about them now.

winalot

I enjoy checking out Aylied ruins but caves I find a bit more tedious. I find Oblivion Gates quite bland too but tonight I closed the first one in a while and met a couple of super cool enemies (
Rock Atronach dudes and Spider Daedra
) I'd not seen before.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Does Oblivion allow you to do the same thing you could do in Morrowind, which was once you reach the max level you could reach, you go to jail and your skills drop which allows you to raise them again thus going up higher levels?

GhaleonEB

I love the dungeons. There are the occasional great finds (for your level) and the feeling of exploration just never gets old. I'm wandering the sewers of the capital city and having a ball. The feeling of discover and exploration never gets old. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that has to reveal every inch of the map to be satisfied, so perhaps I'm just a good fit to the game. I've had more fun wandering dungeons that on any of the quests. (Which is why I'm up to 21 open and 6 completed ones. :) )

Ghaleon: How do you get into the Imperial City sewers? I've found the passage in the Merchant District, but there is a door there that I can't get passed and the game says it's opened remotely or something.

I love exploring too. It's a major part of the fun for me in these types of games. Last night I entered some Aylied Ruins trying to find some ectoplasm for a quest, and ended up coming face to face with some really nasty trolls. Much tougher than the regular trolls. It was completely unexpected and made this dungeon feel differently from the others like it that I've been through.

I guess not everyone enjoys the exploration factor of the extra, non-quest, dungeons. That's one of the great things about Oblivion though, that it caters to a lot of different play styles.

Uncle

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Ghaleon: How do you get into the Imperial City sewers? I've found the passage in the Merchant District, but there is a door there that I can't get passed and the game says it's opened remotely or something.

There should be a wheel (or whatever it is) near the door.

Spencerr

Banned
I beat the main quest. It was pretty frickin sweet.
going to paradise was awesome. I totally expected the guy who helped me to betray me though. "Jump in the cage... right ....*Quicksaving"

I maxed destruction and conjuration with trainer spells, but I don't really do my other major skills. Anyway I can change them... if not I don't think I'll be able to really level much more.

raYne

:(
I've been done with all of the main quests for a while now and I'm running out of stuff to do. My active quests are empty, save for the Orrey (had it day one, still haven't done it yet) and the usual "come here once a week/month whatever post completion quests.

I don't want it to end! *sobs*

Spencerr said:
I beat the main quest. It was pretty frickin sweet.
going to paradise was awesome. I totally expected the guy who helped me to betray me though. "Jump in the cage... right ....*Quicksaving"
:lol Same here! After he told me what to do I literally said "riiiiight..." and saved it.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Uncle said:
There should be a wheel (or whatever it is) near the door.

there are also entrances in Talos plaza and ... somewhere else I think. They all interconnect with eachother.

Rhindle

raYne said:
:(
I've been done with all of the main quests for a while now and I'm running out of stuff to do. My active quests are empty, save for the Orrey (had it day one, still haven't done it yet) and the usual "come here once a week/month whatever post completion quests.

I don't want it to end! *sobs*
Same here. And I'm only at level 18. :/

gblues

Banned
BuG said:
I don't have time to read through the whole 80+ pages, sorry, I just wanted to ask where the mountain lions are. I have a deal with my girlfriend I need to win here so an exact location would be swell.

edit: 133 pages, WTF?

There's a fighter's guild quest in Anvil that can get you mountain lion pelts easy.
it's the rat quest.

Nathan

Citizen K

More random questions...

1. At the arcane university, there is a door to the 'orrery' (i think, cant quite remember name) but its locked, how do u get access?

2. I saw a flyer for another guild called 'blackwood company' or something. Its like a rival to the fighters guild (says so in the flyer). Can you join this guild? No matter who I talk to in their building there is no join option.

3. Anyone know of any cool items to boost your magic pool? Mine is 180 at the moment and I boost it by 10 every level up. I've seen spells which would use like 900 mana! I dont see how anyone could have that much even at higher levels!?

BlueTsunami

Citizen K said:
3. Anyone know of any cool items to boost your magic pool? Mine is 180 at the moment and I boost it by 10 every level up. I've seen spells which would use like 900 mana! I dont see how anyone could have that much even at higher levels!?

You could either enchant your armor with +Magica (which you can get from the Oblivion Gates from the Signent Stones) or you can use your Alchemy ability to make Fortify Intelligence potions. Make alot of them and consume them, your intelligence should skyrocket and you should then be able to cast those spells.

raYne

Speevy said:
raYne, Rhindle: Have you guys really completed nearly 200 quests?
Is 200 the actual count? 'Cause that just makes things worse, since I'd say I'm around the high 180's, maybe even 190's . I'd have to manually count 'em to be sure. :/

It's just a matter of finding the rest. Though, I can't say wondering around (guides are for suckers) just to find those last quests is the least bit appealing.

Speevy

Banned
raYne said:
Is 200 the actual count? 'Cause that just makes things worse, since I'd say I'm around the high 180's, maybe even 190's . I'd have to manually count 'em to be sure. :/

It's just a matter of finding the rest. Though, I can't say wondering around (guides are for suckers) just to find those last quests is the least bit appealing.

Your status page says "Quests completed". Tell me what it says for you.

raYne

Speevy said:
Your status page says "Quests completed". Tell me what it says for you.
Eh? Is this supposed to mean that it tells you the actual # of quests you've done on that page? If so, no clue how I missed that all this time. :lol

*checks*

Edit:
Apparently it doesn't. So what exacty do you want me to tell you?

Speevy

Banned
Um, yes it does.

There's a list of things.

The page that says

Horses bought
Houses owned
Diseases contracted

etc.

You have the 360 version, right? Press over several times when you're on the character page.

belgurdo

Banned
lol the o rly is useless and the quest they make you do for it sucks, but at least it's pretty.

btw, need a frenzy spell that will work on guards. Any way I can craft any?

BlueTsunami said:
Does Oblivion allow you to do the same thing you could do in Morrowind, which was once you reach the max level you could reach, you go to jail and your skills drop which allows you to raise them again thus going up higher levels?

Going to jail does drop yoru stats (major ones included) so it should theoretically work.

I don't know why you would, though, as by the time you're 40+ you're a complete unkillable god.

Or at least my chacter is (90% magic reistance, 26 point spell absorbtion, 80% spell reflect, 20% melee reflect, 85 armor...).

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I love exploring too. It's a major part of the fun for me in these types of games. Last night I entered some Aylied Ruins trying to find some ectoplasm for a quest, and ended up coming face to face with some really nasty trolls. Much tougher than the regular trolls. It was completely unexpected and made this dungeon feel differently from the others like it that I've been through.

I guess not everyone enjoys the exploration factor of the extra, non-quest, dungeons. That's one of the great things about Oblivion though, that it caters to a lot of different play styles.
I stumbled into the sewers by going into a well - I walked up to it to look at some details and got the option of entering; I found entrances in each district of the city.

As someone said, look for the switches on the walls. They are a small wheel with four handles sticking, one in each direction. I can't see them unless I have a torch out. Even then, I've run into two doors I can't open, and one that requires a key to open. Tons of good stuff down there, though - some REALLY creepy encounters. Such as
finding an open coffin, and then wondering where the body is...only to run into a zombie a few corners later. And some poor soul hung by his feet and set on fire. :(

I've just decided to advance the main story a bit, so I'll deliver the amulet I was given. 20 hours in, and I'm doing the first quest on the main story. :)

Where do I find the stuff to get back into the Mages Guild after being kicked out? 20 of two things, I don't remember which. I have *no* idea where to look and really want to continue that quest line.

BlueTsunami

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Going to jail does drop yoru stats (major ones included) so it should theoretically work.

I don't know why you would, though, as by the time you're 40+ you're a complete unkillable god.

Or at least my chacter is (90% magic reistance, 26 point spell absorbtion, 80% spell reflect, 20% melee reflect, 85 armor...).

Yeah, i'm already at level 41. I've also bearly touched any quests :lol I've just been traveling around and exploring. Some grinding levels here and there.

I mainly want to get a perfect character. Once I hit the ceiling (level wise) I want to do the jail thing and try to get all my Attributes to 100 and make full use of trainers. This will probably be done after i'm done with all the quests though.

Spencerr

Banned
I'm stuck around 20... I chose battlemage, but I don't use alchemy or mysticism at all... There's a couple other I don't I think. :\

Xenon

I have an issue with Belletor's Folly
just west of the Kvatch refugees. Is there any way to get to the upper level of the room that has the narrow passage with the small bridge running over it? I was able to knock down three of the four guys that were up there but the fourth corpse is still up there with my rightfully earned loot!

Rhindle

Speevy said:
So what's your hour count. I've completed 32 quests with 67 hours. And there should be several expansions.
130 quests in about 85 hours. Fast travel really cuts down on the play time.

I'm up to 90 hours now, but I've just been wandering around clearing out random dungeons for the past while.

WarLox

Speevy said:
I know. I've done about 1/8 of the game's total quests at 60 hours. My highest ranking in any guild is Evoker in the mage's one.

wow... you stole my game save.. are you a dark mage too ? :lol

Speevy

Banned
130 quests in about 85 hours. Fast travel really cuts down on the play time.

I'm up to 90 hours now, but I've just been wandering around clearing out random dungeons for the past while.

Sounds like you did very little exploring early on. My time is mostly gathering alchemic ingredients, following behind patrol guards to get into fights with bandits, and generally just exploring.

Anyway, sounds like you've pretty much picked the game clean. What's your final verdict?

Speevy said:
So what's your hour count. I've completed 32 quests with 67 hours. And there should be several expansions.

I'm at just under your playtime with 130 quests complete, including all the main ones.

...and well over half of that is nothing but dungeon crawling.

BlueTsunami

I'm fricken BLOWING through the Mages Guild quests. I started to take them up at level 41. Every Necromancer I run into gets a sneak attack and then I pummel them (Grey Cowl + Chameleon Ring (+30) + Sneak 100 + Blade 95 = DEATH. I've also got a few equipment that i've enchanted that has Spell Absorb and Spell Reflect :lol. Some people don't like it, but I love going through the game almost God like.

Speevy

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
I'm at just under your playtime with 130 quests complete, including all the main ones.

...and well over half of that is nothing but dungeon crawling.

So...what do you want from me exactly? :p

LakeEarth

BlueTsunami said:
I'm fricken BLOWING through the Mages Guild quests. I started to take them up at level 41. Every Necromancer I run into gets a sneak attack and then I pummel them (Grey Cowl + Chameleon Ring (+30) + Sneak 100 + Blade 95 = DEATH. I've also got a few equipment that i've enchanted that has Spell Absorb and Spell Reflect :lol. Some people don't like it, but I love going through the game almost God like.
Necros are way too easy if you're up on levels.

Speevy

Banned
You should try dragging bandits into one big pile. Also, collect skulls, pretty much every item in the game, and try to get your attributes/skill/level completely maxed. It's almost as fun as playing Blitzball for 6,000 hours, I assure you. ;)

Most of my stats are already maxed. Some I explicity wouldn't want maxed or even improved (personality).

The combat in the game isn't compelling enough to bother with hours upon hours of grinding.

Top Bottom